The Custom Covers Thread

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, FrankV said:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial using the IMAX poster:

et-the-extra-terrestrial-alternate-cover

Looks great but maybe move the bottom text up a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work as ever.

Left field request, a cover for George Delerue’s unused score for Regarding Henry (an absolutely lovely effort but based on what they got Hans to write as a replacement, they clearly either didn’t know Delerue’s style or had totally the wrong idea of what they want wanted for the film musically… for the record I quite like the replacement but it’s not a patch on Delerue’s). 

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Left field request, a cover for George Delerue’s unused score for Regarding Henry (an absolutely lovely effort but based on what they got Hans to write as a replacement, they clearly either didn’t know Delerue’s style or had totally the wrong idea of what they want wanted for the film musically… for the record I quite like the replacement but it’s not a patch on Delerue’s). 

Here you go:

Regarding Henry (The Unused Score).jpg

@heidl Would you be willing to do a color swap for the first set of LOTR trilogy complete scores to match the original DVD color schemes?

Fellowship: green

Towers: red

King: blue

Godzilla (MonsterVerse Soundtrack set)

Waxwork Records recently released Tom Holkenborg's score to Godzilla vs. Kong. I had hoped they would make the release match the wonderful art direction of their release of Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Alas, studio interference led to a rather boring mix of promotional/film photography. 

To get some cohesion (at least in my digital collection), I mocked up some covers using Christopher Shy's awesome artwork, which Waxwork had used in the aforementioned release. 

NOTE: The artwork for KOTM is only included to show how the set looks together and has not been remade by me.

Godzilla (2014, Music by Alexandre Desplat)

am0t0F6.png

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Music by Bear McCreary)

uNcb1Hj.jpg

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021, Music by Tom Holkenborg)

W1R9Q44.png

BONUS:

Godzilla (2014, Music by Alexandre Desplat) - Version 2

UhS3eku.png

1 hour ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

@heidl Would you be willing to do a color swap for the first set of LOTR trilogy complete scores to match the original DVD color schemes?

Fellowship: green

Towers: red

King: blue

I'm willing but you have to know that the elvish runes and the map are baked into the image. So if you don't give a damn about the map in the background, I can just change the film title and give it a go. Or you're willing to wait a little longer? Because since the covers above are based on the original Vinyl sleeves, I'm currently working on alternate versions which will be assembled from individual graphic assets. But that will still take a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my collection of covers fro Avatar, including Avatar: The Way of Water, plus 2 new covers for House of the Dragon Season 1:

I updated 2 of the covers with a few fixes but for some reason I couldn't edit the original post without almost all the covers disappearing so I posted the 2 new versions plus the ones that got deleted in a new post:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to JWFan, @Steffromuk! So glad you've joined the forum and now I don't have to share your covers secondhand. :) 

There are a lot of Goldsmith fans here too so I'm sure they'd love your full set of Goldsmith at 20th covers in this thread...

Yavar

Hi there @Steffromuk!

Great to see that you've found your way over here from the FSM Board :)

I'm a long time admirer of your work, your Flickr page is always one of my go-to places when I look for a certain cover. And your covers are among the best I have ever seen!

5 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I noticed that David Shire's name is on there twice and David Newman's name is missing.

That's because there is twice as much David Shire as everyone else ;)

On 09/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, Steffromuk said:

I know these have been shared on other threads, but I thought I'd put them all together in one post.

52329478926_dbbdefd881_z.jpg

I know we disagree on this, but I still greatly prefer your original excellent Anna and the King cover, because it didn't rely on colorizing an image and I still notice too many artifacts of that on this one, even though you did an impressive job of it (plus as you know I find the image of the king in the background weirdly ominous, lol). So I hope you won't mind my sharing your original/alternate cover here too in this thread, for those who might share my preference:

image.jpeg

On 09/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, Tallguy said:

I always hated that cover of Blue Max. You made it look pretty good!

I think he wanted to not use the same image Jim Titus did for his original LLL cover. But steffromuk did use that image for the Tadlow re-recording! In case you're interested (since I'm guessing this is the Blue Max poster image you prefer...)

image.png

Yavar

On 11/10/2022 at 8:40 AM, Steffromuk said:

I'll continue with some Horner scores

51698222952_659ca394a9_c.jpg29390951677_16a304435a_c.jpg

30235099098_382025bdb8_c.jpg49495457852_1d8db2d8b4_c.jpg

46503315665_1869aa1155_c.jpg48112671852_823f7a079b_c.jpg

50242813347_c55f4be533_c.jpg49747576576_ddbe131c33_c.jpg46794150542_0479c8f63e_c.jpg

Fantastic work here. I’ve particularly wanted a Land Before Time that was a tad less cartoon-y. Love the artwork for Name of the Rose. And that Krull one is bananas! 

Your covers are always so incredibly sharp and vibrating, what's your secret?
e.g. Cannon, what changes did you make to it? What did the source image look like?

Would any of thefine cover artists want to take a stab at a LC: TR - TCoL cover (both DE and regular album) using this art? I tried to extend the poster shaped image into a square to the best of my limited ability...

Lara Croft.jpg

I'm unable to work with the film logo as I cannot use transparent backgrounds due to ancient software and have given up trying to cut the logo out by hand.

On 20/10/2022 at 7:51 PM, Steffromuk said:

Thank you!

I make all my covers at 4000x4000px (A bit over the size of a 12" record cover)

I spend A LOT of time browsing the web in search of the best material. The highest res pictures I can find. Then I restore them and often re-balance the tones and colors. And when necessary, I upscale them using a combination of the Photoshop AI upscaling tool and a website dedicated to photo upscaling.

For the CANNON cover I used this photo from Getty images (removed the "gettyimages" watermark in Photoshop) and applied a halftone effect.

And I recreated the design from the opening of the show in the background.

And I rebuilt the title logo in Illustrator

That's fascinating to read, thank you! 4000x4000 is huge, holy cow! Your workflow is almost a kind of reverse engineering. I've done this on many of my tribute covers as well, and I have to say it's really one of the best ways to learn new techniques.

Do you mind recommending me a good upscale tool for Photoshop? Or did you mean the built-in resizer? I regularly use letsenhance.ai, but you never know beforehand what you're gonna get. A good Photoshop plugin would certainly be more helpful.

Also, nice to meet a fellow designer who removes the GettyImages watermark by hand as well. Those greedy bastards surely won't get any money from me :mrgreen: