The Custom Covers Thread

You're right, and honestly, it's becoming a bit much right now, but this practices dates back a long time, and my stereo is an old one that only plays CDs. I used to burn to CD-r everything I have, but now I only do it for stuff that I actually listen to.

This will undoubtedly change in the next few years, when I get around to buying a stereo that has USB or something. But that may take a while as I've got much other equipment on my want list first. I can't stand headphones (literally; it's not good for my ears), and refuse to play and listen to great music on my PC speakers. (Not only are they inferior, the PC makes noise too.)

I don't really see another solution.

I haven't used a printer with my home computer since Canon refused to make Windows XP drivers for it about ten years ago.

I archive the MP3's and/or FLACs of the boots on external drives, and data CD-Rs and DVDs. These are notated with a Sharpie and placed into CD binders.

My previous AIWA stereo had the nasty habit of scratching pressed CDs, and there were many CD-Rs that it refused to play. It was 11 years ago when I replaced it with a newer stereo that has a built-in iPod dock.

Right now I have a bunch of CD-R's in plain white CD envelopes that I need to print covers for.

Although most of them are becoming obsolete. ;)

You're old-fashioned.

Ok, it's great that you guys take such pride in your non-store-bought music that you have to make it look good, but since I have so many pressed CDs to find homes for, the prospect of finding physical homes for so many warm foot CD-R's is nauseating.

Yeah, space is an issue. I've burnt two expanded sets to CD-R years ago - Potter 1 and the LotR trilogy.

Now I use them just to embed in the mp3 so they look really neat in winamp. Hence, back covers are irrelevant to me.

Essentially, while someone like Trent takes pride in designing covers, I take pride in making sure the files themselves are nice quality and that the overall package (track names, sequencing, etc) works while presenting as much music as possible. I spent quite a few days working on the Potter sessions, and probably about a minute looking for a cover here :P

I always liked that particular poster. Shame it doesn't get more use.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have a custom front cover for The Lost World?

(No I don't have a true complete score or anything, just would like a cover for my dvd-rip/OST combination version)

there must be one in this thread..., consistant with JP.

yup here it is, by yours truly ;)

JPTLW.jpg

i did that already but never got the chance to upload it

I remember, back in the 90's, using the Laserdisc cover to make a regualr jewel case for the CD. I hated that damn cheap, pop up packaging they used for the CD.

When I was in the US last year, I picked up that Jurassic Park/The Lost World DVD set, which had the soundtracks in it in jewel cases, for 20 dollars. Long-time problem solved!

I'll be buying the collectors set next week if I'm able to. I want the OST's in proper jeweled cases. Actually I don't have the first JP score but got the second one. I chucked the POS cardboard case after making just a plain custom front and back trays and used the same image as Luke used.

Thanks guys.

What is the reason for needing the OST on the second disc?

Contractual obligations.

That is pretty cool lookin' Charlie. I'm curious though how come for Disc 2 you didn't put any of the alternate cues on instead of the album?

It's mostly because I lost the case for my actual bought copy, so I wanted a new cover that would have space for that. That, and it's just a pretty good listening experience. Also, the alternates I have aren't in great quality.

Thanks guys.

What is the reason for needing the OST on the second disc?

Contractual obligations.

ROTFLMAO

Nice work Charlie! :thumbup:

Some of the album cues are different than the film versions, different takes or alternates. So I could see an eventual album release featuring the film score and original program.

I could never find TLW cover for the CDs that came with the DVD set, so I ended up scanning it in.

I wish I had kept some of my files that featured covers I made for some of the isolated scores I have and the Apollo 13 promo.

• 1 month later...

Trent, what did you use to get that metallic text on the Star Trek IV title?

It was all ready like that. I did a google search for the Star Trek IV logo and found that. It's on the 2-Disc DVD set.

Edit: Thanks all for the kind words.

Does anyone have customer front covers for:

The Paper Chase

Conrack

The Long Goodbye

?

I like having them listed as separate albums on my ipod.

Thanks so much!

I don't remember what I used for Conrack, I'll have to check and see if it's something worth posting. For the Paper Chase I just used the FSM cover.

For the Long Goodbye I used the back cover of the Varese Booklet.

Oh ok, I didn't realize the back cover had a cover for The Long Goodbye (I don't actually own it, it sold out long before I was even aware of it)

Is there a Paper Chase cover included in the FSM Poseidon Adventure CD? I never had a physical copy of that one either (I do have the LLL Poseidon Adventure though)