Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

Yeah, well, of the 66 titles above, I only have 15 on CD, which is kinda embarassing as a longtime Zimmer fan. So I chose the screen grab!

Sorry, I was supposed to edit an earlier response, but the edit button was gone, and I clicked 'quote' accidentally! (does the 'edit' button disappear after a while?).

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sorry, I was supposed to edit an earlier response, but the edit button was gone, and I clicked 'quote' accidentally! (does the 'edit' button disappear after a while?).

Yes its a new feature we are trying out.  It's currently set to 61 minutes after a post is submitted that you can still edit it

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Film has always been a collaborative art, in all facets. You have a director, but they have countless assistants that shoot footage as well. No one disparages them for “taking all the credit.”

I think we need a " second unit director auteur theory"😛

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What makes music great to you? Honest question. My comment wasn't aimed as much in the orchestral realm; I don't think the European symphonic orchestra is the alpha and omega of music. 

Oh, don't tiptoe around the question, "what makes music great to you?"

In the context of music, you said

"Great art has been created by the melding of great minds". 

I didn't start throwing around "great". 

So, name great composers whose work was created together with other composers. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

So moving along....

To you fans out there -- how many Zimmer albums do you have in your collection?

I have 66, digital and CDs combined.

I'm just realizing I don't actually own any Zimmer CDs, likely thanks to my preference towards C&C sets in regards to my super picky criteria for what I use my money on. I'm sure if the Mondo M:I-2 LP release and Xperiments got put out on CD, I'd have happily bought both.

I've grabbed loads of stuff digitally, but here's what I have on my phone currently (some of which are multiple sets):

Angels & Demons

Batman v Superman

Black Rain

Days of Thunder

Gladiator

Inferno

Madagascar 1-2

Man of Steel

Mission: Impossible 2

Pirates 1-4

Rain Man

The Da Vinci Code

The Ring

The Simpsons Movie

Dark Phoenix/Xperiments

The Rock

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Cool Runnings

Sherlock 1-2

Dark Knight Trilogy

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Oh, don't tiptoe around the question, "what makes music great to you?"

In the context of music, you said

"Great art has been created by the melding of great minds". 

I didn't start throwing around "great". 

The examples are so numerous, but it's easy to imagine someone as yourself dismissing them almost out of hand. I wasn't dodging the question, I was asking what I anticipated was the next one.

George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, and Bernie Worrell

Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul

Miles Davis and Gil Evans

Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn (though they were more separate than the common narrative lets on)

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker 

Charles Mingus and Sy Johnson 

These are the most immediate ones to come to my mind.

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Your argument suggests that the European conservatory composer is the only valid way of making music. This is of course ridiculous, because music is incredibly collaborative in most pools outside of the concert hall.

29 minutes ago, KK said:

Your argument suggests that the European conservatory composer is the only valid way of making music. This is of course ridiculous, because music is incredibly collaborative in most pools outside of the concert hall.

I guess members of  a site  devoted to JW expects every composer to follow his trail.

When SGT. PEPPER...came out in 1967 it was treated as if it was a Beethoven symphony. Classical composers and critics like Ned Rorem praised  it as great art. Nobody fussed over credits. If they didn't have an issue with collaborative music, why do you?

I don't expect every composer to write a score completely alone - I can understand the odd other composer helping out here and there.

It just rubs me the wrong way when an album cover says 'Music by Hans Zimmer', then you read the liners and find 8 other composers listed. If it said 'Music produced by Hans Zimmer', it might give a more accurate reflection of who's actually done the work.

Yeah, Zimmer tends to name the main composers on the front cover, and the rest in the booklet:

chappie_ost-zimmer_hans-43535164-frntl.j

the_rock_original_motion_picture_soundtr

Note that in the case of THE ROCK, Glennie-Smith gets first credit, because he IS the main composer.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, Thor said:

Probably not as 'sexy' with a pic of the hard drive collection, but here is mine anyway:

zimmer.jpg

No Dunkirk?

On 6/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, Richard Penna said:

My collection:

The Thin Red Line

Interstellar

Gladiator

King Arthur

Da Vinci Code

Angels & Demons

The Lone Ranger

Dark Phoenix

Pirates 3

Plus a few bits from The Rock. Might be missing the odd one, as I don't sort my collection by composer.

Amazing that LONE RANGER has become a highly prized collectible.

Doubt I'll ever get to hear it😞

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

No Dunkirk?

Thor (and I) are fans, not fanatics!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Amazing that LONE RANGER has become a highly prized collectible.

Doubt I'll ever get to hear it😞

What do you mean, you'll never get to hear it? You don't need to get hold of a CD to listen to it.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Jqqt4hlvKdQpPWjpLg33L

I'm continually amazed at people who deny themselves hearing music because they won't either use Spotify or spend $10 on a download.

I like listening to music thru speakers.

And, I don't want to end encourage digital only releases.

And I'm old.

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't expect every composer to write a score completely alone - I can understand the odd other composer helping out here and there.

It just rubs me the wrong way when an album cover says 'Music by Hans Zimmer', then you read the liners and find 8 other composers listed. If it said 'Music produced by Hans Zimmer', it might give a more accurate reflection of who's actually done the work.

But, that’s literally how every credit works.  The director has assistant unit directors. Editors, cinematographers, costume designers, production designers. All these people lead a team to achieve an end goal.

Zimmer’s scores are mostly distinctly Zimmer, regardless of who works on them. A solo Jablonsky score sounds different than Jablonsky as an additional music composer. 

On 6/26/2020 at 2:24 AM, HunterTech said:

I don't actually own any Zimmer CDs

You're forgiven. :)

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Zimmer’s scores are mostly distinctly Zimmer, regardless of who works on them.

He only hires the best imitators. ;)

On 6/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, Thor said:

Probably not as 'sexy' with a pic of the hard drive collection, but here is mine anyway:

zimmer.jpg

I have WHITE FANG but I don't count it a a Zimmer score. I bought it for the wonderful BP music.

Early Zimmer , like WF, is second rate Vangelis. He really developed as a composer later in his career!

I love early Zimmer myself, the London days and all that. The stuff for Nicholas Roeg, for example, is brilliant.

While I like Poledouris' WHITE FANG material, I think I prefer the Zimmer material.

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

I love early Zimmer myself, the London days and all that. The stuff for Nicholas Roeg, for example, is brilliant.

While I like Poledouris' WHITE FANG material, I think I prefer the Zimmer material.

Of course you do!😁

Btw Zimmer gave Gerard co-composer credit even though- going by the credits- she did much less than half the music.

But, she definitely deserved it!

I mean, how can you not like this amazing sequence from Roeg's INSIGNIFICANCE (1985)  -- both musically and filmically?:

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I mean, how can you not like this amazing sequence from Roeg's INSIGNIFICANCE (1985)  -- both musically and filmically?:

I am not familiar with all his early work. But, as a synth guy, he comes off as a 2nd rate Jan Hammer/ Vangelis .

He started finding his voice with his films set in South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Between The Blue Planet II, Planet Earth II and Seven Worlds - One Planet...which should I be going after? Which is the one with the most HanZ content...and which is the most unique that it might overcome my dislike on principle that Fenton hasn't been retained?

On 6/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, bruce marshall said:

How do you put someone one ignore?.

I suppose you could ask several people here that have done it, but that might be tricky for you.

6 hours ago, Kühni said:

Between The Blue Planet II, Planet Earth II and Seven Worlds - One Planet...which should I be going after? Which is the one with the most HanZ content...and which is the most unique that it might overcome my dislike on principle that Fenton hasn't been retained?

None of them really have any music by Zimmer, apart from the main theme. 

They were never supposed to be Zimmer works in the first place. I believe the first of these was with the Bleeding Fingers group that Zimmer helped establish through that competition a few years ago. For these things, his role is more of a facilitator -- adding his name and theme to add extra exposure. I think it's a very laudable enterprise, and perfectly in line with his desire to push new talents out there.

Not Zimmer, but in the same spirit, I'm a bit more keen on Balfe's Fallout score than I was before, having received the BD isolated score, and seeing the film really helps.

Now this isn't an about-turn; large sections of the score are still rather dull and don't separate from the film well, but four sections really did jump out at me:

- The foot chase in London

- The skydive and merge into the party music.

- The exchange sequence and chase through Paris

- The helicopter sequence (the early parts anyway).

The 'briefing' scene at the start also has its moments when you can hear it without the voiceover.

• 2 weeks later...

The conversation around The Da Vinci Code in the other thread brought me back to to my natal Zimmer fandom days. I think a big draw for me were the themes. These simple, modal tunes had just enough melodrama for it to be both sweepingly epic and bracingly intimate at once. All enough to often reduce my teenage self to tears. In lesser hands, they could come off as naive and crude. But his knack for sound and production have always allowed them to soar. He moved away from writing like that a long time ago, but an old favourite currently on my mind is Beyond Rangoon:

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Any nostalgic favourites to share? :P