Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

On 8/16/2020 at 1:37 AM, Thor said:

And deservedly so. If I had been Ottman, I would have removed all those idiot Trump supporters from the friend list.

Well, that would mean " The Proud Boys" would be excluded

Btw this actor who I'm currently watching in THE OUTSIDER could play Hans in a biopic

1601707081011.jpg

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Btw this actor who I'm currently watching in THE OUTSIDER could play Hans in a biopic

Lol, I watched this minisseries as well and thought the same! 

Michael McKean from Better Call Saul would actually be a great Hans as well. 

• 3 months later...

Keeping in mind this is the appreciation thread, and therefore I'm looking for positive feedback only, which of the six Zimmer scores scheduled to drop in 2021 are JWFanners most looking forward to and why?

1. NO TIME TO DIE (Apr 2)
  2. TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Jul 2)
  3. SPACE JAM: A NEW LEGACY (Jul 16)
  4. THE BOSS BABY: FAMILY BUSINESS (Sep 17)
  5. DUNE (Oct 1)
  6. HARRY HAFT (undated)

Dune is my most antecipated Zimmer score of the year. He apparently put a lot of effort in that film, and I'm expecting great things from the movie and score.

NTTD was probably mostly done by Mazzaro, but Zimmer may have written a theme or two. 

I don't know what to expect from Top Gun and Harry Haft. As for Space Jam and Boss Baby, it'll probably be as generic, uninspired and "written by a comitte" as most recent Zimmer scores for kids movies. I don't know why they didn't called JNH back for Space Jam, or maybe give it to John Powell.

BTW, Jay, have you heard the WW84 OST? It's Zimmer most enjoyable score in over a decade, probably since Pirates 3.

Was Space Jam ever confirmed? Thought that was just a rumour?

Anyway, Dune. Not expecting much from the other ones for the same reasons as Edmilson. Hopefully Dune has been as inspirational as WW84. 

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

BTW, Jay, have you heard the WW84 OST? It's Zimmer most enjoyable score in over a decade, probably since Pirates 3.

I haven't heard the OST, but I liked the score in the film! 

Definitely Dune, and maybe Bond. The others seem like more team-driven products than Zimmer himself.

I wouldn't say there was really anything about MI2 - film or score - that was similar to a Bond film. 

Bond films are about a charismatic dude charming his way through a mission while occasionally cracking jokes and occasionally using tech. MI films are about a team of spies using tech on a case until it eventually becomes the Ethan Hunt solo show for differing amounts of time per movie, but he isn't very charismatic or joke cracky.  Especially in MI2 which was way closer to a John Woo film than an MI film

For the scores, probably MI5 is closest to a traditional Bond score.  MI2 and MI6 are certainly the least like a Bond score for sure

Have to echo the others -- DUNE, by far, followed by TOP GUN and the Bond movie in that order. The others, I don't really have any expectations for.

M:I2 is a fantastic score, btw, my favourite of all the M:I scores.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:07 PM, Lord Zimmer said:

Was Space Jam ever confirmed? Thought that was just a rumour?

This article (http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/04/15/kris-bowers-to-score-malcolm-d-lees-space-jam-2/) is the only real composer announcement I've seen so far. The closest for Zimmer being attached is an NTTD Collider article that off offhandedly mentions it without a proper citation. Unless anyone can conjure up an agency listing this time, I'd say there's nothing suggesting it being the case so far.

As for me, Top Gun has my intrigue from the co-involvement of Harold Faltermeyer, so I'm expecting it to sound a bit less Zimmer-y. Dune can go either way, given BR2049 isn't one of my favorites in spite of not minding it much. NTTD probably will be exactly what the studio wants if the last two Bond installments are any indication. Boss Baby won't have Conrad Pope, so it'll be absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Dune can go either way, given BR2049 isn't one of my favorites in spite of not minding it much.

BR2049 was more of a Benjamin Wallfisch score. IIRC, Zimmer's contributions were minimal, and Wallfisch did much of the job.

Dune will be different though, as it apparently will be more of a Zimmer solo effort. He's a big fan of the novel and he passed the opportunity to score Tenet so that he could work on Dune. This is why I believe he'll deliver something great.

• 3 weeks later...

These cues are so good; some of the best action material Zimmer ever wrote. It's unfortunate that for some reason he didn't include them in the official OST:

I guess that with Zimmer, if you want some of the best material, you need to check the bootlegs.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could it be because he didn't compose them?

Nah, these tracks sound too much like him to be the job of an assistant. He either wrote these cues or someone made an arrangement based on material he wrote before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, bollemanneke said:

I'm re-discovering ehse scores too. D minor but such great themes.

I remember reading somewhere that after the first one it became a sort of internal joke that all the themes would be on D minor and start with basically the same two or three notes.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, Edmilson said:

Nah, these tracks sound too much like him to be the job of an assistant. He either wrote these cues or someone made an arrangement based on material he wrote before.

I know this was almost a month ago, but shockingly (to me at least) Zimmer is the sole composer credited on GEMA and SABAM for "Chasing the Convoy East"

BMI/ASCAP also lists him as the sole composer on "It's A Trap"

On 2/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, TSMefford said:

I know this was almost a month ago, but shockingly (to me at least) Zimmer is the sole composer credited on GEMA and SABAM for "Chasing the Convoy East"

BMI/ASCAP also lists him as the sole composer on "It's A Trap"

I have some sheets from Zimmer scores, including those of the Dark Knight trilogy, which I downloaded from that forum where people were fans of the Japanese RPG. All the cues  listed are credited solely to Zimmer, which makes even harder to determine what exactly he wrote and what parts were written by his assistants.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I have some sheets from Zimmer scores, including those of the Dark Knight trilogy, which I downloaded from that forum where people were fans of the Japanese RPG. All the cues  listed are credited solely to Zimmer, which makes even harder to determine what exactly he wrote and what parts were written by his assistants.

Of course. Why not make his credits more confusing and difficult to figure out lol.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Dark Knight, in particular, has multiple composers listed on the sheets. It’s the reason it was initially disqualified from the Oscars. Whichever cues you have, must actually be Zimmer only. 

• 1 month later...

An old video for sure. I’ve been going back and listening to the first three Pirates scores (made some custom edits of from the recording sessions).  I still enjoy these immensely. At World’s End is in my top 10 favorite scores of all time. I know they’re often looked down on by some. But I’m amazed at the amount of themes/motifs (probably a handful per ghostwriter;) they managed to roll out. And how cohesive it all sounded. Simple music? Sure. All written in D minor? Probably. The musical equivalent of a cheeseburger? Absolutely. But I like a cheeseburger every now and then :) 

Here are some custom covers I made for my edits too. ( I KNOW Hans isn’t officially credited on POTC 1. But I mean, come on now;)

E1B08F76-191D-445B-81EB-9DE1112F4138.jpeg

EE792BFD-D170-4935-90A2-C0BE0903C970.jpeg

3AAA1535-2994-42B9-ADFC-79B82C150D07.jpeg

Just listened to WW84 2 cd.

What a shame he put such feeling into a film completely devoid of soul😞

One of his better scores in recent years and certainly his best super -hero one since TDKR.

If I didnt despise the film I'd purchase it.😰

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, it's my favorite Zimmer score since Interstellar. It worked great in the movie.

Agreed my favorite since Interstellar as well. Although I think Hidden Figures is highly underrated (understandably that is not really a Zimmer score with Williams and Wallfisch on the cover too) and The Lion King remake is great if you can look past the fact that the score is a basically a remake too.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, it's my favorite Zimmer score since Interstellar. It worked great in the movie.

Nothing works great in the movie. The score is way too good for that crap, I've felt all along the movie that it didn't had its place there.

38 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Agreed my favorite since Interstellar as well. Although I think Hidden Figures is highly underrated (understandably that is not really a Zimmer score with Williams and Wallfisch on the cover too) and The Lion King remake is great if you can look past the fact that the score is a basically a remake too.

I've only heard Hidden Figures once, and I thought it was okay. Need to revisit it soon.

The score for the Lion King remake was as great in 2019 as it was in 1994, lol.

24 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Nothing works great in the movie. The score is way too good for that crap, I've felt all along the movie that it didn't had its place there.

Yeah, the score is much better than that movie  deserves. Zimmer tells the story through his music better than the screenwriters.

HIDDEN FIGUREZ is great.

Perfect example of Hans skill at collaboration

I didn't appreciate either Interstellar or WW until I heard the cds. Probably because neither film engaged me.on first watch

Btw Thor complained it didn't have the ' analog synth sound"

Check out " Monkey Paw"

?

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

HIDDEN FIGUREZ is great.

Perfect example of Hans skill at collaboration

I think what gets me about this score is that one: we don't have that many gospel scores out there these days, so the personality is unique, and two: you don't see drama movies in Hollywood score this way anymore. 

Listen to this. The music is not epic, but the ending is euphoric nonetheless. 

WW84 took the complete for me to truly appreciate. From the development of some of the motifs to just the way the score transitions from the idealistic sounds of the period to the more grounded feel the latter half has, it just has a lot more breathing room for it to truly shine.

I will say that the Sketches album was a bit of disappointment, given how much more rudimentary and half baked it somewhat felt compared to something like Xperiments. Certainly more demolike than I was expecting in areas, given how polished Zimmer's past couple of suites have sounded. Despite that, I'd be happy to listen to the full thing again, given there's still plenty of good moments to warrant a recommendation anyway.

Two disc? Wasn't the regular OST split like that for the CD release? I have no idea what the 1 disc set would even look like.

In any case, I'm not really the best guy for that sort of thing, given it's a score by score basis on if I feel a condensed or C&C presentation works best for the material. In this case, given how much I've praised the complete and was mixed on the album, I'd be far more likely to talk about stuff they should've kept on the official release instead of highlighting what's already there.

That being said, a custom OST/playlist and/or custom suites would be fun to try out here. I wouldn't know where to go with it, but there's enough stuff to where I could feasibly make a solid presentation that is more attuned to what I like about the score.

• 4 weeks later...

Since yesterday was the day when The Amazing Spider-Man 2 released back in 2014, I decided to give the complete score a listen to commemorate a movie that I don't hate in spite of being such an obvious corporate product.

What continues to impress me about the score is how little it feels like a standard Zimmer effort in a lot of areas. Things like the Osborn material give way to some of his normal characteristics, but it otherwise fully embraces the collaborative nature that it advertises itself as. There's enough variety to where even if you don't like the overall result, there's likely parts that stick with you. In a lot of ways, prior to WW84, TASM2 seems like HZ's attempt to try and make his own spin on a classic superhero score, with prior and subsequent capeshit scores playing more to his regular sensibilities.

I've only heard the OST one or two times in total, but it's not a bad presentation of the score. It's still ultimately missing a few cues that help form the character of the music, and some of the versions of the tracks that are on there pale compared to the ones in the leak. It doesn't help that it's not a particularly well developed enough score to where there's enough variations in the repeats of some ideas to justify its whole length, so a condensed playlist picking out the best moments might be the way to go.

I'm not sure if this is that great of score, especially since it doesn't rank too high in my list of Spidey scores. But it's so infectious and fun that I can't really dislike it very much. I honestly do prefer Zimmer in his "no fucks given" mode, where he does whatever he feels like will make his project stand out. It doesn't always pan out, but it does provide underrated gems like these.

This track, for as cheesy as the lyrics and vocals are, best represents what I enjoy about the score: