Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching one of my old guilty pleasures yesterday, Crimson Tide, and got curious about the soundtrack.

The heroic theme is very similar to Pirates Of The Caribbean - but the melody is not yet chiseled into the memorable theme it will “become” - so it wasn’t vey hard to deduce that it was Zimmer who was behind the score.

However, this is such a great movie - and a great score!

Upon googling a little bit about it, the score for Crimson Tide is credited as being behind “the sound of the modern blockbuster”, as much thanks to Zimmer as to its producer Jerry Bruckheimer. And I guess this is correct, it hits all the marks where it’s “supposed” to, in a way that I suppose is more or less standard (or “cliche”) in every big movie since. I thought this was really cool, that one movie and one composer is able to transform the industry this way.

By comparison, I recently watched Top Gun, another Bruckheimer production, and - while an excellent movie - 80’s movies were scored differently.

Any thoughts whether this is actually the case, that Zimmer is the one to set the “modern blueprint”?

I saw some argumentation that it wasn’t Crimson Tide, but rather The Rock - but that makes it a moot point, since Zimmer scored that movie as well… ; )

I think there’s no doubt that Zimmer has set the modern blueprint for film scoring (for better or worse).  Not sure if it was one score that did it, but his work through the mid and late 1990s especially for Bruckheimer ended up being very influential.  I don’t know if it was cemented as THE thing until Pirates or even Batman Begins, though.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I saw some argumentation that it wasn’t Crimson Tide, but rather The Rock - but that makes it a moot point, since Zimmer scored that movie as well… ; )

I'm going to argue Crimson Tide. I think people like The Rock more so they might elevate that one. But Crimson Tide was everywhere. It was being used in trailers. It was being used in temp tracks. I even remember Spielberg talking about it. If he didn't have Williams I'm sure he would have hired Zimmer at that point.

It was really a game changer.

I love or enjoy a lot of HZ's work. The original Lion King score is great, Gladiator is a personal favorite, and almost all of his Nolan work is powerful and effective. But the best use of HZ's music will forever and always be in Iron Chef. His score for Back Draft elevates the melodrama and epic-nature of Japanese Iron Chef to a whole other level. 

I think it's fair to say that HZ created (for better or worse) the sound of modern blockbusters not just once, but rather three or four times, depending of how you count.

Crimson Tide influenced the late 90s movies, then Batman Begins and Inception influenced the music for the 2000s/2010s.

On 27/06/2022 at 5:25 PM, Muad'Dib said:

The full album!

The theme's been stuck on my head a lot lately. It's got a great fantasty/awe quality to it that I love.

the theme is great. voice is the only thing i don't like in this iteration of the theme

the non zimmer material which i assume is the rest is hit and miss

19 hours ago, rough cut said:

By comparison, I recently watched Top Gun, another Bruckheimer production, and - while an excellent movie - 80’s movies were scored differently.

That is kind of how Crimsom Tude and The Rock sound to me now, ironically. Like from the nineties.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cool. I look forward to watching that.

Im part of that motley who became a film score nerd having first heard Gladiator as a youngin back in 2000. (My Mom was actually really into Black Hawk Down and would play “Synchrotone” in the English Class she taught for a writing prompt 😄) Lots of fond memories of his early 2000s output. I’ve been less and less interested in his more recent works. But WW84 was a blast and I actually really dug Dune. I think he’s earned a nice retrospective at this point in his career. 

On 12/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, mstrox said:

I think there’s no doubt that Zimmer has set the modern blueprint for film scoring (for better or worse).  Not sure if it was one score that did it, but his work through the mid and late 1990s especially for Bruckheimer ended up being very influential.  I don’t know if it was cemented as THE thing until Pirates or even Batman Begins, though.

He definitely defined the 90s blockbuster sound alongside Mancina’s Speed. Bruckheimer and Bay dominated that decade with RCP’s sound permeating everywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just skimmed through a few bits and it looks like a pretty comprehensive overview of his life with a lot of archival footage and interviews, and some interesting tidbits I hadn't heard before.

It's got a very ass-kissing tone though, like these things always do.

Might be interesting for the layperson but very pedestrian for the likes of us.

It's just a bunch of talking heads laying on praise.

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Curious about this score.

Looking forward to this a lot! Shame that the OST seems to be only about 20 minutes long…

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So, BMW put out a ”film”, The Calm, directed by Sam Hargrave (Extraction, 2020) and starring Uma Thurman in a minor role.

I bring it up here because the credits boosts a “Music by Hans Zimmer” mention, but honestly there’s not much music to be heard - mostly ambient and generic action stuff.

Still, for fans of Zimmer, I’m sure it’s fun to check out.

I'll be sure to check it out. A Kosinski/Zimmer collab sounds tantalizing.

Meanwhile, we're STILL waiting for any news of a score release of ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET.

On 05/06/2023 at 12:32 PM, Thor said:

Meanwhile, we're STILL waiting for any news of a score release of ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET.

I saw the film. It has a lot in common with his scores for the Nancy Meyers films.

It was really beautiful in parts and it would be nice to hear it on album. But who knows when that'll happen

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the post that started all this drama was mine, but it wasn't posted with this intent - it was just a news of Zimmer proposing to his partner during one of his concerts. It's not critical to him or anything, in fact, I think it's cute. So I do believe it should be on this thread, but not the replies to it though.

God almighty, the moving of certain posts was delightful -- as if someone opened up a window! :)

So getting back to some Zimmer love. I'm currently going through his entire catalogue in preparation of a Zimmer podcast with a coupe of colleagues of mine in (hopefully) July. It's been a revelatory ride, and it's great to finally have a top 20 list, which I haven't really had before. It's also been fun going through his pre-RAIN MAN scores again, with and without Myers. Some true gems there, especially these:

Histoire d’O II

Castaway

My Beautiful Laundrette

Insignificance

Terminal Exposure

A World Apart

Anyone else have any favs from this period?

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

My Beautiful Laundrette

Oh, I didn't know he wrote this score.

I see at imdb he was credited as Ludus Tonalis, I guess that's why I hadn't realised!

29 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Oh, I didn't know he wrote this score.

I see at imdb he was credited as Ludus Tonalis, I guess that's why I hadn't realised!

He only wrote a couple of cues for it, but those are great. But you should check out INSIGNIFICANCE. The ending -- with Marilyn Monroe, Einstein and the atomic bomb, is both visually stunning (Roeg firing on all cylinders) and also contains one of Zimmer's most gorgeous cues ever. Kind of a meeting point between Vangelis and Sakamoto:

14 hours ago, Thor said:

God almighty, the moving of certain posts was delightful -- as if someone opened up a window! :)

So getting back to some Zimmer love. I'm currently going through his entire catalogue in preparation of a Zimmer podcast with a coupe of colleagues of mine in (hopefully) July. It's been a revelatory ride, and it's great to finally have a top 20 list, which I haven't really had before. It's also been fun going through his pre-RAIN MAN scores again, with and without Myers. Some true gems there, especially these:

Histoire d’O II

Castaway

My Beautiful Laundrette

Insignificance

Terminal Exposure

A World Apart

Anyone else have any favs from this period?

I’m fond of Green Card 

Great news! Media Vale Studios has been saved after being in limbo since the BBC put it up for sale. I was afraid it might become flats or offices or something like that so this is great news!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12230511/BBC-sells-legendary-Maida-Vale-studios-played-host-Beatles-David-Bowie-10m.html

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video! Loved the relaxed atmosphere, and hearing Zimmer speak in his Native (albeit rusty) tongue. Shame the questions were so lame and generic, but as someone who's used to the same thing happening in Williams interviews, it's par for the course.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, rough cut said:

However, this is such a great movie - and a great score!

Agreed. I rewatch it every year, it’s a perfect popcorn flick with two outstanding performances by Hackman and Washington. 
And I prefer this score to Pirates. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Happy 20th anniversary to one of my favorite movies, Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl. I can't believe this movie is already 20 years old and it is still a great movie and a perfect start to the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise. Also, did I mention also that it has an amazing score?? I love the music in this movie so much that this is the one I would stream on Spotify. Anyways, happy 20th Pirates and Drink Me Hearties, Yo Ho. 

"This is the day you always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow" 

-Jack Sparrow