Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The original POTC movie, and still the best.

That poor donkey :lol:

image.jpeg

My all time favorite scene from Pirates Of The Caribbean. Truly a classic scene, Jack Sparrow's entrance 20 years later and still a great intro to an iconic movie character. What do you guys think?

37 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It IS the best, although the third movie is my favorite. And I would argue the third film has the best score.

@Tallguy, I totally agree with you on this. At World's End has one of the most epic and amazing scores from the POTC franchise. My favorite cue has to be I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time, which is the final battle scene at the end of the movie. Such a great scene and an amazing cue. I get goosebumps every time I watch that scene and hear this cue. Simply an amazing score by Hans Zimmer. The Lion King is also one of my favorite Hans scores. Stampede is a true highlight of that score and really epic with the choir. 

2 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

My favorite cue has to be I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time, which is the final battle scene at the end of the movie. Such a great scene and an amazing cue.

This is the correct answer.

But there's so much good stuff. Elizabeth's "Hoist the colors" speech. Getting lost. Zimmer has gotten so much more streamlined. This was his last gasp at a really leitmotif kind of score.

Also, while I don't enjoy Dead Man's Chest as a score on the whole it has Jack Sparrow and The Kraken. And the film has my absolute favorite version of Norrington. One of the few disappointments in At World's End was that they didn't "land" his story as well as others. (Ragetti is the secret HERO of the trilogy!)

But it all starts with One. And Curse of the Black Pearl is Raiders of the Lost Ark level of perfection. Every wheel, cog, and spring runs with delightful precision. And yes, Jack's entrance is as good as it gets. It also has the best sword fights.

Dead Man's Chest is actually my #2 most favourite PoTC score, right behind At World's End. The official release is rather short and has a really poor selection of cues from the film. The full film score has great variations of all the themes and some really cool action/dramatic material.

Yeah, I definetly prefer Dead Man's Chest over POTC 1 and 4 (and 5, of course, lol). 1 has great themes but the actual underscore suffers a bit from "too many cooks".

In my book the third score is miles ahead of the first two in terms of great new themes and action that's far closer to a traditional orchestral approach than you typically get with Zimmer. I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time is such a fun cue, and a very clever combo of the beginning of the massive battle scene and the end - they work very well out of film order.

With a few trims here and there, the complete score is also a nice listen.

I have a few cues each from 2 and 4 as well. The first score's not bad but I think its most effective elements were done better in the later scores.

• 3 months later...

Posted by Mike Essss on FSM:

Deadline reporting that Zimmer is reteaming with Ron Howard on an interesting-sounding project that doesn't have a superhero or spaceship in it.

"... Based on an unsolved mystery that unfolded on a remote island in the Galapagos, the movie charts the lengths humans will go in pursuit of happiness.

Howard has wanted to tell the story for 15 years, ever since he first visited the Galapagos Island where the real-life events took place. ...

According to the producers, the film 'explores the human condition in ways that are unexpected, absurd, humorous, sexy, but above all thrilling and deeply suspenseful.'"

https://deadline.com/2023/10/sydney-sweeney-vanessa-kirby-hans-zimmer-join-jude-law-ana-de-armas-ron-howard-eden-movie-australia-1235587009/

Count me intrigued! Zimmer in ethnic mode is the best Zimmer there is!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Posted by Mike Essss on FSM:

Count me intrigued! Zimmer in ethnic mode is the best Zimmer there is!

Is this going to be his ethnic mode though? A thriller on Galapagos doesn't spell ethnic to me.

There's nothing about that plot description that implies the film should have an ethnic score, I don't think

Cast is stacked though - literally in the case of Sydney Sweeney!

Even THE THIN RED LINE, which is also about an inner journey more than its exotic locale, manages to sneak in some elements there (and not just the Melanesian source music). Time will tell, I suppose. I cross my fingers for some ethno elements.

• 3 months later...

That would have been awesome to attend. I visited the Colosseum many years ago, and remember being surprised by how small it was (a common feeling for tourists, I think), but attending that would have increased the size of it tenfold.

36 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Damn, you beat me to it! :D

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

So Zimmer finally acknowledges two of his most beloved scores from the late 90s:

Does Zimmer have a lot of involvement with those shows? I'm guessing he perhaps approves or prepares arrangements? I noticed the wind soloist is in his usual touring band and perfomed on Dune and probably many other scores. His name escapes me for now - found it Pedro Eustache. Anyway, it's nice to see some more variety in these shows! 

I found the answer!

Is Hans Zimmer involved with the show: Yes, Hans Zimmer curated the musical set list and oversaw the artistic development. It is particular noteworthy that all musical arrangements have been newly conceived especially for this concert tour.

“My aspiration with this new show is to preserve the culture of the orchestra and allow audiences to rediscover the unique facets of orchestral music. There are many background stories I would love to tell and long-time companions and friends I would like to introduce.” Hans

I love how they play more album tracks for this tour! As far as I can tell, from youtube vids I've seen, some of the tracks they play is "Dream Within a Dream" and "Time" (duh!) from Inception, "Themyscira" and "Open Road" from WW84. This time it was the actual "Open Road" and not the "general" WW Theme variation they did for the 2022 LIVE tour. They also play "Heart of a Volunteer" and "Tennessee" from Pearl Harbor. Man of Steel I think is just the regular "What Are Going To Do....". Really wished they someday play "Flight"! It would be so epic!

For THE ROCK I'm not sure which tracks they play but that suite is awesome!

23 hours ago, Marc said:

Playing "Chevaliers de Sangreal" with musician friends from all around the globe :)

IMG_0149.gif

It has a Harry Potter vibe to it. :)

4 hours ago, JTN said:

IMG_0149.gif

It has a Harry Potter vibe to it. :)

Haha I never thought about that when I did it but yeah absolutely :D

The company I work for has just given everyone a £150 voucher to use at Resorts World in Birmingham. This World Of Hans Zimmer thing is there in April so I just got myself and a friend a ticket for it. :lol:

Best thing on the menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Hans Zimmer composed some music (a 'song') for TRON (the cryptocurrency, not the film franchise). I can't find any information about the commission, but I presume he was paid handsomely.

56 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I want to like stuff like this, but that was just standard trailerised RCP nonsense. Anyone in the RCP sphere could've done that.

True. Still a pretty nice tune.

Zimmer does these projects now and then, for cars or watches or apps or what-have-you. For variety, I suppose, not because he needs the money (he has a net worth of $200 million, last time I checked....more than many countries).

21 hours ago, Quppa said:

Hans Zimmer composed some music (a 'song') for TRON (the cryptocurrency, not the film franchise). I can't find any information about the commission, but I presume he was paid handsomely.

If I have to pick one single that Zimmer did recently where he sticks to the standard generic RCP sound, it would be this one, although I prefer his movie sounds by a mile.  

On 14/4/2024 at 7:48 PM, Quppa said:

Here’s an article that discusses it in a little detail: https://cointelegraph.com/news/hans-zimmer-writes-tron-theme-song. Apparently, the “song” had been under development since 2022 (although the end result sounds like Zimmer only worked on it since 8:00 this morning.) 

Read the article. It quotes Zimmer on how this music represents the potential of Web3.0. The disconnect between what he says this song represents and the actual banality of the music itself is… well, it’s astonishing. 

I really believe Zimmer has somehow managed to achieve the impossible — he’s transcended his corporeal form to become a being of pure marketing.

11 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

It quotes Zimmer on how this music represents the potential of Web3.0.

What absolute bollocks :lol:

It really does sound like he got up at 8am yesterday morning, noodled on his keyboards for 3 hours and came up with that. It's so uninspiring. It goes with my belief that when he's given some inspirational, life-affirming project he comes up with some tat like this, but when given 4 weeks and a film to just.... score, he does a really great job.