The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, Richard said:

Best post I've read in a long time. This means that John Ratzenberger is in it! Yea!!! Can't. ***king. Wait!!!!!!!!!

Why would John Ratzenberger not be in it? He's been in every Pixar film. Ha!

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yeah, I know. John ("I can't believe he's getting that kind of mileage") Ratzenberger is brilliant in all of them!

The Underminer is definitely among my favorite of his roles. Putting him at the ending was perfect. "Behold, the Underminer! I'm always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me! I hereby declare war on peace and happiness! Soon, all will tremble before me!"

• 1 year later...

Huh, that looks way more like a standard Disney production than a PIXAR one. I'm a bit Pratt-fatigued but Holland is charming enough, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is good in everything (this will be her second PIXAR too, after A Bug's Life).

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

I just wanna know who’s doing the music.

Should be Thomas Newman’s turn in the rotation. 

36 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'd say it looks a little more meh than good, IMO. 

Really just in for the score. Thomas or Randy Newman would be lovely, but I bet it'll end up in Giacchino's court.

The Danna bros were already announced

16 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The design looks so ordinary. Nothing about it says Pixar.

Since their insane run from 2007-2010, they have only produced 1 great film.

What about Monsters University? Incredibles 2Inside OutCoco?

The latter two are masterpieces and some of Pixar’s best work, imo. 

The first Toy Story is the only one of theirs that holds up for me.

I remember the days when the studio was worshiped as the "last saving grace for modern mainstream animation" (when their filmography was more or less a high jump over a low hurdle), but then they churned out Cars and it turned out, oh, gosh, what do you know, they can be just as shitty as everyone else. 

Dreamworks has churned out garbage too, of course, but give me the How to Train Your Dragon series over anything Disney's put out the past few decades. 

21 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

The first Toy Story is the only one of theirs that holds up for me.

You're just full of ridiculous opinions, aren't you?

I think Cars is some of their best work.  It captured a zeitgeist, the mid 00s Nascar culture here in America, and captured it with surprising wit and accuracy.  

It has definite elements of both.  The point is, it captures something definite and real, even if it paints a little by the numbers to get there.  Plus, it is a gorgeous movie to look at in spots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So weird to me Pixar has two movies coming out next year, one in March, one in June.  Usually we're used to this one at a time cycle.

I hope both are good!

I'm also impressed that within that timetable they're both original stories instead of sequels. 

I have to say that what I've seen of Onward isn't super interesting to me, but I can't think of a Pixar movie I flat out disliked (I haven't seen either Cars sequel, so bare with me), so I'll give it a chance.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've also seen every Pixar movie except the Cars sequels, and pretty much liked them all

Cars 2 is indeed awful, but the third is good. Not outstanding, but pretty decent.