The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't remember if I watched Toy Story or A Bug's Life first, but both were played to the end on the VHS. I'm pretty confidant, though, that the first Pixar movie I've seen on theaters was Toy Story 2. 

I saw the first 3 Toy Stories in the cinema, but I haven't seen the fourth. Unfortunately, with Disney putting their own stuff on their proprietary service, that won't be any time soon.

Onward was going to be the next film I saw at the cinema, but our lockdown started at that point. We noticed that some comparativelly smaller films (Emma, The Invisible Man, The Hunt) are available for streaming, but they want around £15 to rent, which, given you're not watching in a proper cinema setting, is too much. I think they'd get more custom if they charged half that.

I saw Toy Story in theaters in 1995, and then saw every Pixar movie in the theater up through Inside Out, except I skipped Cars 2 which I still haven't seen.  I then saw Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Coco, and Toy Story 4 at home, Incredibles 2 in the theater, and still haven't seen Cars 3 or Onward.

We watched Onward and really dug it - much more than I expected from the gag-heavy previews.  There's an overarching character plot for the older brother that hits especially heavy at the moment...

I've seen relatively few Pixar movies in theaters.  I saw Toy Story in theaters, and then got too old/cool for kids movies, so didn't see another Pixar movie until Monsters Inc (when I started working in a movie theater and seeing pretty much everything).  Many of them I caught up with on DVD later - Ratatouille, WALL-E, Brave, The Good Dinosaur, Coco.  I didn't see Cars, A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 2 until adulthood.  I still haven't seen Cars 2 and 3.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I saw Toy Story in theaters in 1994

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Onward was going to be the next film I saw at the cinema, but our lockdown started at that point. We noticed that some comparativelly smaller films (Emma, The Invisible Man, The Hunt) are available for streaming, but they want around £15 to rent, which, given you're not watching in a proper cinema setting, is too much. I think they'd get more custom if they charged half that.

I'm sure it's a salvage mission to make money, since the theatrical run will be abysmal.  They'll be selling it for "keeps" sooner rather than later, at that price or below.

We spent our first $20 on a rental the other night for Trolls 2 (got a 4 year old, man).  Was it worth it?  I don't know.  We're in a pretty lucky place that we're still working and have not missed any pay, and we also aren't paying for daycare at the moment, which leaves us with essentially an extra mortgage payment of money every month.  We're not blowing through it, trying to save what we can for any forthcoming necessities medical or otherwise -  but while there are extra expenses to being at home constantly and working from home (electricity, heating, food, craft and entertainment materials for the kid), we have a little bit more expendable income.  So whatever, we rented the dumb Trolls movie.  $20 is more than I'd ever in a million years spend on a movie to own at home typically, but it ends up being cheaper than taking our kid to the theater, which is around $60 ($28 for two adults + $10 for the kid + $20+ for concessions), which we would have done for Trolls 2, so in the end it was a savings even after I popped our $0.30 worth of popcorn kernels.

I'm in the same boat as you, after we see Onward I will have seen all the Pixar movies that exist except Cars 2 & 3, which I'm still not jonesing to see at all

Oh absolutely they're trying to salvage some revenue from a non-existent theatrical run. I think they've just gone in a little too high, considering that the world has Netflix/Prime/Disney for which the price per film is negligible.

I'm sure there's a method to their madness - some eggheads are sitting in a room somewhere deciding, "what is the pricepoint where people will say "okay, I'll splurge on it" where we will retain enough viewers/renters to make out ahead of a lower price point." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, Edmilson said:

I'm quite curious about the score by Trent Resznor and Atticuss Ross.

I've been wondering if this score will move in the direction of what he was talking about here. Obviously vague and could mean anything but it's just always been interesting to me how open he was to that John Williams question. I instantly thought back to it when he was first announced for this. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one of those things they mentioned at launch and I forgot about.  Monsters U didn't have the same magic as Monsters Inc, but it was fun enough.  Disney has had a pretty decent success rate with their adaptations/reboots - we really like DuckTales and the Tangled series that ended this year.

• 5 weeks later...

rwhkifd5mfj61.jpg

Official Synopsis

Set in a beautiful seaside town on the Italian Riviera, Disney and Pixar’s original feature film “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about one young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Luca shares these adventures with his newfound best friend, but all the fun is threatened by a deeply-held secret: they are sea monsters from another world just below the water’s surface.

How is an animated coming of age story set in Italy his roots?  HIs roots are Gargoyles, The Lost World, and Medal of Honor games.

film scoring roots? (Those are games and television right?)

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

How is an animated coming of age story set in Italy his roots?  HIs roots are Gargoyles, The Lost World, and Medal of Honor games.

5 minutes ago, Falco said:

film scoring roots? (Those are games and television right?)

No, his first dozen composing assignments were all video games and I listed some of those games off the top of my head.  There was also stuff like Mickey Mania, Maui Mallard, T'ai Fu, etc.

He never scored a television show (Alias in 2001) until after he had scored several movies (Legal Deceit, The Trouble with Lou, My Brother the Pig)

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

His ITALIAN roots! Not Gargoyles lol.

He was born in New Jersey!

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'd vastly prefer Marianelli, if possible. He can whip up a nice little Italian score no problem!

Oooh yeah, good call. And if not, Francis Coppola can probably recommend a family member :lol:

Looks like Luca is from a first time directed named Enrico Casarosa.  He was "Story artist" on Ratatouille, Up, Cars 2, and Coco, for what that's worth

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

He was born in New Jersey!

I can't believe I have to provide evidence that a guy named Giacchino is Italian!

"I'm Italian and I'm very proud of my roots".

https://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2010/03/08/visualizza_new.html_1731171433.html

You can debate it with him!