The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

• 1 month later...

How is this anything like Cremeritis, and how is a new Pixar trailer not appropriate to be posted in the PIxar thrad?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

How is this anything like Cremeritis, and how is a new Pixar trailer not appropriate to be posted in the PIxar thrad?

Because the same trailer was posted on the movie's thread?

But, yeah, if you want to post it in whatever thread you want, be my guest, I won't stop you.

I don't understand the problem.  Of course some content makes perfect sense to be in more than one thread.  Of course the new trailer for Luca is fine to be in both the PIxar thread and the thread for Romer's score.

Why is this an issue?

• 5 months later...

Judging by the trailer, I think John Powell could do an amazing job. Maybe something inspired by Horner's Apollo 13 mixed with Powell's love for expansive scores. 

But it'll probably be Giacchino or someone who has worked with Pixar before.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

...I’ll bet a million dollars it’s not Randy Newman.

Why so? I think it will very likely be him. It was only Toy Story 3 where things kind of went awry between him and a Pixar director.

If it is not him, or Pixar's other usuals (like Giacchino or Thomas Newman), then it could be the perfect time to bring David Newman to the scene. Or maybe McNeely, or even Debney. These guys know how to handle animation, these guys have done great space adventure scores before, and I'd be very, very surprised if their schedules were too busy right about now.

On 28/04/2021 at 11:52 PM, bruce marshall said:

I just watched BRAVE thinking it was DISNEY.

Turns out it was PIXAR!

I'm so confused😰

Haha... that was the year Pixar did Brave, which I always thought was much more a trad Disney film (not quite a princess movie, but as close as Pixar got), and Disney themselves did Wreck-It Ralph which always felt much more like a Pixar film (quirky, high concept but ultimately quite emotionally affecting). I don't remember loving Brave, although Patrick Doyle's score is enjoyable enough.

I loved Brave. Love the story, love the characters. It's not a "Princess Movie" although it features a princess.

I think what makes it unusual for a Pixar film is that it isn't a world. Most Pixar films are "What if toys were alive?" "What if the dinosaurs didn't go extinct?" "What goes on in our heads?" and then it's a core set of characters showing how their part of the world works and then going into a part of the world that they don't understand and taking the audience along for all of it.

Wreck it Ralph and Zootopia are much more in the Pixar mold.

My boy and I are all in for Lightyear. My daughter is OK with it. My wife is "meh". It would be interesting to hear Randy score it. He certainly wrote some good Buzz stuff that got him a little away from core Randy.

But yes, I would LOOOOVE for this to be Powell's first Pixar. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing Christopher Lennertz get a shot. And they can't go wrong with Silvestri.

Mark Knopfler? ;)

10 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Why so? I think it will very likely be him. It was only Toy Story 3 where things kind of went awry between him and a Pixar director.

I think they'll think he'd make it sound too much like Toy Story films, I'm guessing they want a big epic sci-fi score and that they'll think Randy would write a score that was too "folksy" or something.  But maybe I'm being too cynical!

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think they'll think he'd make it sound too much like Toy Story films, I'm guessing they want a big epic sci-fi score and that they'll think Randy would write a score that was too "folksy" or something.  But maybe I'm being too cynical!

He could take a Monsters University approach and write a whole new score with a different overall style and little-to-no thematic ties to the original.  

Would love Giacchino although the chance that he writes it are kinda slim

To me Gia is the best Pixar composer, his worst effort being the very fun Cars 2 but damn Ratatouille, Up, Coco and the Incredibles 1/2 are terrific

Just now, May the Force be with You said:

Would love Giacchino although the chance that he writes it are kinda slim

To me Gia is the best Pixar composer, his worst effort being the very fun Cars 2 but damn Ratatouille, Up, Coco and the Incredibles 1/2 are terrific

Ha, you didn't even mention my favorite Gia Pixar score, Inside Out.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ha, you didn't even mention my favorite Gia Pixar score, Inside Out.

Damn I forgot about this one, not my favourite but still an incredible one

Also forgot the Toy Story short Panic at the Hotel or something like that

I guess I'd rank the PIxar movies like this (unranked within each bucket, just listed in the order they came out)

Great movies I liked instantly and held up on rewatches

• Toy Story
  • Toy Story 2
  • Monsters Inc
  • The Incredibles
  • Ratatouille
  • Finding Nemo
  • Up
  • Toy Story 3
  • Inside Out

Fine, if not particularly memorable {I've only seen all these once, maybe a 2nd watch would change my mind on some?}

• A Bug's Life
  • Cars
  • WALL-E
  • Brave
  • Monsters University
  • The Good Dinosaur
  • Finding Dory
  • Coco
  • Incredibles 2
  • Toy Story 4
  • Soul
  • Luca

Have not seen

• Cars 2
  • Cars 3
  • Onward

Basically, I've never seen a Pixar movie that I would say was a "bad movie".  Though maybe that's why I have avoided seeing Cars 2 & 3 so far...

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess I'd rank the PIxar movies like this (unranked within each bucket, just listed in the order they came out)

Top Tier {I've seen all these multiple times}

• Toy Story
  • Toy Story 2
  • Monsters Inc
  • The Incredibles
  • Ratatouille
  • Finding Nemo
  • Up
  • Toy Story 3
  • Inside Out

Fine, if not particularly memorable {I've only seen all these once, maybe a 2nd watch would change my mind?}

• A Bug's Life
  • Cars
  • WALL-E
  • Brave
  • Monsters University
  • The Good Dinosaur
  • Finding Dory
  • Coco
  • Incredibles 2
  • Toy Story 4
  • Soul
  • Luca

Have not seen

• Cars 2
  • Cars 3
  • Onward

Basically, I've never seen a Pixar movie that I would say was a "bad movie".  Though maybe that's why I have avoided seeing Cars 2 & 3 so far...

Oh man, you’ve got to see Onward. Felt like a return to the Pixar I grew up with. Quite a fun romp. 

Haven't seen Cars 3 either bu the second is more fun than the first IMO but still a low Pixar

However I suggest you a second screening of Wall-E and Coco which are absolutely beautiful than Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory are a lot of fun

Yea, I haven't been purposely avoiding it, just haven't caught up with it yet

My wife's father passed away around the time it came out, so she wasn't ready to watch it then, and then I've just never sought it out or suggested it again since

The ending of Toy Story 3 when Andy gives the toys to the new girl is one of the most emotional scenes I've ever experienced in film.  What a perfect way to end a trilogy.

Then they had to make  fourth...

Random Pixar thoughts based on some comments upthread:

We love Cars. Cars 2 was aggressively "alright". I haven't seen 3 since the theater but I recall it being a step back in the right direction. 

I still see no reason for Incredibles 2. 

Good Dinosaur is awesome. We all cried like it was Old Yeller. And it's got Sam Elliot as a Tyrannosaurus cowboy! 

I loved Soul and I should watch it again. 

16 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I still see no reason for Incredibles 2. 

After two huge live-action flops in a row a huge live-action flop, Brad Bird had to resuscitate his career, that's the big reason it exists.  Has there been any peep or hint about what his next might be?

EDIT: It was just one huge flop, not two.  Had a brain fart and was thinking he directed John Carter.  Funny how there were two big Disney live-action flops directed by Pixar vets within a couple of years of each other and both of those directors then went back to Pixar to make sequels to their biggest hits.

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

After two huge live-action flops in a row a huge live-action flop, Brad Bird had to resuscitate his career, that's the big reason it exists.  Has there been any peep or hint about what his next might be?

EDIT: It was just one huge flop, not two.  Had a brain fart and was thinking he directed John Carter.  Funny how there were two big Disney live-action flops directed by Pixar vets within a couple of years of each other and both of those directors then went back to Pixar to make sequels to their biggest hits.

Well Brad Bird has directed two live action films - Mission Impossible 4 and Tomorrowland.  But maybe you were thinking about the aborted movie about the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 Bird was supposed to direct

And yea, it's such a bummer that Andrew Stanton's John carter flopped, because I liked that movie and would have loved to see another one, and I really liked Giacchino's score and want to see him write more for that world

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well Brad Bird has directed two live action films - Mission Impossible 4 and Tomorrowland.  But maybe you were thinking about the aborted movie about the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 Bird was supposed to direct

And yea, it's such a bummer that Andrew Stanton's John carter flopped, because I liked that movie and would have loved to see another one, and I really liked Giacchino's score and want to see him write more for that world

No no I really did have in my head that he directed John Carter for a second there.  And yeah even more weird that not only did both flop and both directors went back for the Pixar sequel, but both were scored by Giacchino, which wasn't inevitable since Stanton hadn't worked with him before.  I never thought about it, but I wonder why Thomas Newman didn't score John Carter.

I'm still angry about Toy Story 4.

The animation is insanely good. But the ending and overall story.....

Why build up 3 movies and shorts of relationships between Woody & Buzz etc. to make Woody in 4 kind of desperate and only willing to be with Bo Beep. Hate it!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No no I really did have in my head that he directed John Carter for a second there.  And yeah even more weird that not only did both flop and both directors went back for the Pixar sequel, but both were scored by Giacchino, which wasn't inevitable since Stanton hadn't worked with him before.  I never thought about it, but I wonder why Thomas Newman didn't score John Carter.

Well, Giacchino hadn't scored a film Andrew Stanton had outright directed per say, but Stanton was an exec producer on Ratatouille and Up prior to Tomorrowland.  Maybe he just liked the cut of his jib

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

If they'd called Toy Story 4 "Toy Story: Epilogue", I feel like people would be kinder to it

I see what you mean. But Toy Story 3 felt unneeded and then they showed us it wasn't. It wasn't just another TS. It was an ending. So you can't come back and say "We have another ending!" Maybe you can. It was OK.

Sequels are weird.