The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

• 3 weeks later...

Huh.

000brfg3y5081.jpg

Set in 2002-2003 Toronto, the film centers around Mei Lee, confident thirteen-year-old Chinese-Canadian girl who is torn between staying her mother's dutiful daughter and the chaos of adolescence. And, as if changes to her interests, relationships, and body were not enough, whenever she gets too excited or stressed, she "poofs" into a giant red panda.

Turning Red looks like a pretty cute story about entering adolescence.  Thank goodness my daughter is still 5 years or so away from that!  This movie is guaranteed to make me cry anyway though, probably.

5 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Göransson back to comedy finally.

He already did this year!

It's a co-composing job but still

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Turning Red looks like a pretty cute story about entering adolescence.  Thank goodness my daughter is still 5 years or so away from that!  This movie is guaranteed to make me cry anyway though, probably.

He already did this year!

It's a co-composing job but still

Can't see the video what is it?

• 1 month later...

Disney saw the horrible box office of Encanto and Raya and decided their no-franchise animated films will go straight to D+.

And this is not even a pandemic problem. Scott Mendelson said that the last "original" (as in, it's not a sequel or prequel to anything) animated movie was Coco, back in late 2017. Since then, all animations that were succesful at the box office were part of franchises (Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, etc).

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wonder who will score Lightyear, because I’ll bet a million dollars it’s not Randy Newman.

You were right

Randy Newman's still at the top through 26 films

9 - Randy Newman (Toy Story 1,2,3,4, Bug's Life, Monsters Inc, Monsters U, Cars, Cars 3)

8 - Michael Giacchino (Incredibles 1,2, Ratatouille, Up, Cars 2, Inside Out, Coco, LIghtyear)

3 - Thomas Newman (Finding Nemo,Dory, WALL-E)

2 - Jeff & Mychael Danna (Good Dinosaur, Onward)

1 - Patrick Doyle (Brave)

1 - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (Soul)

1 - Dan Romer (Luca)

1 - Ludwig Göransson (Turning Red)

Is Randy Newman still actively composing, or is he retired?

Has he done any work for anyone since Marriage Story?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Think that was the last score he did (or Toy Story 4, whichever came out last in 2019)... his output has always only been fairly intermittent, but the gaps seem to be getting greater. I don't think he has consciously retired, just slowed down. Even more.

Toy Story 4 was in the summer of 2019, Marriage Story was Oscar season at the end of the year

But I have no clue which one he wrote first

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Toy Story 4 was in in the summer of 2019, Marriage Story was Oscar season at the end of the year

But I have no clue which one he wrote first

Either way, 2019 is too long ago... although on a semi-unrelated-off-topic note, hopefully someone will get to releasing his charming score to Michael sometime. There's a crappy boot, but the music is terrific with a great gospel number, Heaven is My Home.

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Pixar to Randy Newman:

i-dont-want-to-play-with-you-anymore-andy-dropping-67191892.png

Replacing their classy, vintage toy, with disposable upstarts ;-) I've only listened to Luca, Onward, Soul etc. once or twice each... the music for Pixar music just isn't grabbing me any more, which I find rather sad.

Giacchino is at his best at writing good optimistic music (his Pixar scores and Tomorrowland), so I am more excited for this than his other 3 2022 assignments. This kind of explains why he was so inactive these past 2 years.

And that's what made last year's Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond last year so go, it had some optimism to it!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I've only listened to Luca, Onward, Soul etc. once or twice each... the music for Pixar music just isn't grabbing me any more, which I find rather sad.

At least it's nice that they've branched out a bit in their composer selections in the last few years.

If you look at Pixar split in half at 2014 (the year they didn't release a movie), 11 out of their first 14 films were done by 2 composers!

7 - Randy Newman (Toy Story 1,2,3, Bug's Life, Monsters Inc, Cars, Monsters U)

4 - Michael Giacchino (Incredibles Ratatouille, Up, Cars 2)

2 - Thomas Newman (Finding Nemo, WALL-E)

1 - Patrick Doyle (Brave)

Their 12 post-2014 scores are more balanced

4 - Michael Giacchino (Inside Out, Coco, Incredibles 2, LIghtyear)

2 - Randy Newman (Cars 3, Toy Story 4)

2 - Jeff & Mychael Danna (Good Dinosaur, Onward)

1 - Thomas Newman (Finding Dory)

1 - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (Soul)

1 - Dan Romer (Luca)

1 - Ludwig Göransson (Turning Red)

I seem to recall by the time Toy Story 3 came out, Newman felt kinda done with animation. The scores that followed for Pixar seem to be more an obligation than anything else.

21 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I seem to recall by the time Toy Story 3 came out, Newman felt kinda done with animation. 

He scored Cars 3 and Toy Story 4 after Toy Story 3

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

I seem to recall by the time Toy Story 3 came out, Newman felt kinda done with animation. The scores that followed for Pixar seem to be more an obligation than anything else.

Monsters University is a masterpiece.

I suppose this was expected. The other solo movies of Angus MacLane, the director of Lightyear, are two Toy Story shorts, and the most recent of those (Toy Story of Terror!) was scored by Giacchino. These days, gigs like Lightyear seem closer to MG's territory anyway.

I am so very curious why neither David Newman, Joel McNeely nor John Powell have landed a gig at Pixar yet.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Noah Baumbach has a new movie “White Noise” coming out this year, and RN has scored his most recent two. Maybe he’ll score that?

On 28/10/2021 at 7:57 PM, Tallguy said:

Good Dinosaur is awesome. We all cried like it was Old Yeller. And it's got Sam Elliot as a Tyrannosaurus cowboy! 

Really? I found several aspects of this film to be disappointing - from the bad design of the dinos' faces to the stupid "the dino family is so overworked that they may die anytime soon" subplot.

16 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Christ Michael, take a break.

Seriously though, with Pixar recently diversifying with their choices of composers (Reznor & Ross, Romer, Göransson), this would have been such a great opportunity for somebody lesser known.

9 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

I am so very curious why neither David Newman, Joel McNeely nor John Powell have landed a gig at Pixar yet.

All of these three would be an awesome choice for a Pixar movie - specially Lightyear, which seems to be a space adventure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...