The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

You know what really sucks?  This weekend I could take my kids to the movie theater to see "Hotel Transylvania: Transformania" but I can't take them to see the new Pixar movie in a theater.   The Pixar brand is supposed to be the crème de la crème and Disney is really devaluing that by continuing to make them direct to video only, not even behind the premier paywall.  Like is Pixar on the same level as "101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure"?  The pandemic is no longer a valid excuse.

Yeah i dont understand why Disney is releasing Pixar on disney+

It seems as if they wanted to kill the company and swallow its remains into Disney animation Studios or something.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stu said:

Tim Greiving published a nice interview with Andrew Stanton today about the scores for Pixar movies.

Very cool detail that the reason Randy Newman scored the first Toy Story is because Stanton loved to play the Avalon OST while writing it.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/6/15/23168388/pixar-music-soundtracks-randy-newman-michael-giacchino

Lovely stuff and Stanton has taste, Avalon is an exquisite score. 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow. A far preferable experience to these "live to projection" with sound FX and dialog.

I was listening to Toy Story 2 the other day (not one of my go to's) and it kind of blew me away. Newman manages to be totally sincere while also being very tongue in cheek. A tough mix to pull off.

(I was listening to The Natural on Spotify and Spotify decided "Ohhh. You must want a bunch of Disney stuff." The man's had an odd career.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pixar officially entering the Criterion Collection!  Wow, licensing a "core" Disney/Pixar feature is quite a get for them.  It's sort of equivalent of if Intrada got to produce a Menken expansion instead of Disney's own line.

https://www.criterion.com/films/33246-wall-e

WALL·E

I don't think we know enough to say for sure.  It's like trying to speculate on why/how any specific score gets an expansion from one of the labels.  There's so many different possible answers.

Bleh.

Outside of Toy Story have there been any GREAT Pixar sequels? Cars 3 wasn't bad but mostly because we had Cars 2 to compare it to. Even Incredibles 2 felt unnecessary.

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Bleh.

Outside of Toy Story have there been any GREAT Pixar sequels? Cars 3 wasn't bad but mostly because we had Cars 2 to compare it to. Even Incredibles 2 felt unnecessary.

Monsters University.  Better than the first

• 2 months later...

It looks whatever.  It’s so hard to tell from a first glance like this.  I know I was unenthused by the idea of Inside Out and ended up liking it quite a bit, so who knows.  I do like the idea of Pixar doing a romcom.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Jay said:

My opinion is that all 4 Toy Stories are good and worth watching. 

BUT I also think there's merit in only ever watching the first three and ignoring everything else forever. 

4 is more like Toy Story: Epilogue or Toy Story Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

I feel like it benefits from having that "staying too long" feeling as it plays into 

Spoiler

Woody's decision to leave at the end.

Kind of "what happens after the happy ending"

They're going into dangerous territory when they do this, particularly to Toy Story.

Thankfully all four are really good but now we've 'lost' Woody (unless they bring him back somehow) then they're continuing with only Buzz as a 'main' character. Very much pushing their luck here.

Speaking of Mr. Potato Head. Both Don Rickles & Estelle Harris have died. Slinky already has a different voice actor since the 3rd one.

I feel that with all this and now Woody sperated from the rest it's not really tge Toy Story from my childhood anymore.

And as I said, I don't agree with a lot of things that happened in Toy Story 4, so as of now I'm not really sure about the whole thing. Which is a shame, because Toy Story has always been one of my favourite film series

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

If they can't bear not to do 5 then it'd be better to have another 10-ish year gap. That helped 3 and 4 go down easier. 

Well Toy Story 4 was already 4 years ago and the next one should at least take 2 to 3 years to make so that still a 6-7 years gap.

I personnaly enjoyed all four movies though I'm not sure they could come up with a new good one after Lightyear. Or perhaps they're just making the Lightyear movie they should have done