The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

I'm interested in Newt. It's directed by Gary Rydstrom, who did Lifted, which was very good.

Let's see if he's as good a director as he is a sound designer.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Pixar announced two movies but that's all I know.

PC Gamer mentioned this news bit. One is about the Dia de los Muertos -- Mexican Day of the Dead that inspired the computer game Grim Fandango -- but AceShowBiz reports

“Pixar confirmed that it will be an original story and not be based on any previous source material.”

As for the other, John Lasseter

discussed the mind movie on the Charlie show Rose last December, and said it “takes place inside of a girl’s mind, and it is about her emotions as characters.” That's similar to another computer game Psychonauts, but chances are it will also be an original story.

After all, Pixar = win.

PC Gamer mentioned this news bit. One is about the Dia de los Muertos -- Mexican Day of the Dead that inspired the computer game Grim Fandango -- but AceShowBiz reports

“Pixar confirmed that it will be an original story and not be based on any previous source material.”

As for the other, John Lasseter

discussed the mind movie on the Charlie show Rose last December, and said it “takes place inside of a girl’s mind, and it is about her emotions as characters.” That's similar to another computer game Psychonauts, but chances are it will also be an original story.

After all, Pixar = win.

How curious... I wonder if Tim Schafer is pissed off...

As for the other, John Lasseter discussed the mind movie on the Charlie show Rose last December, and said it “takes place inside of a girl’s mind, and it is about her emotions as characters.” That's similar to another computer game Psychonauts, but chances are it will also be an original story.

Could be interesting. Although, when looking at basic story stucture, I usually only like the 'setup' of the Pixar movies. It's their 'conflict' and 'resolution' parts where I dramatically begin to lose interest. (Wall-E being a perfect example of this)

Alex

• 1 month later...

I thought it would never happen. I genuinely believed that Pixar was the one studio that could do no wrong. Then Cars 2 came out :(

I'll be watching Brave this Friday, but things are looking too good for that film either.

Cars wasn't great either.

Yes, but that was one film. A minor bump on the road. I would never have thought they'd make something like Cars 2.

I saw it?

What I mean is, can you look through the eyes of a 6-year-old?

By that logic, every movie is great so long as one person out there thinks it's great.

Of course it is true.

Is WALL-E and Toy Story 3 only meant for 6 year olds too?

The Incredibles is clearly more of a family film but sometimes Pixar addresses only the little children like with Nemo or Cars. We don't ask six-year-olds what they think about There Will Be Blood either, now do we?

Legend Of The Guardians is another film I can't judge because it such an intrinsic children's movie.

Alex

I judge children's films. If it bores me I don't like it. If it is entertaining or I find emotionally involving in any way then I like it.

So to me there isn't much of a difference.

This is the most non-sensical line Alex have ever took. Of course all Pixar movies are aimed at both children and adults. Come on.

Of course all Pixar movies are aimed at both children and adults. Come on.

That's the most non-sensical line I've ever heard. It speaks volumes to me that you don't notice it when a movie is talking to little children. I remember I went to see it with the kid and I immediately thought, oops, this is strictly for 6-year-olds (or younger).

Of course I notice. It doesn't mean that movie isn't also full of in-jokes only adults would get, starting with the name of the main character and continuing from there

In my experience children are bored by The Incredibles, WALL·E, and Ratatouille.

Generally, I don't find their films to cater particularly to kids. They are just not dark and tend to be funny.

Yes, my kid hated Ratatouille but he loved Toy Story. The humor, the inside jokes or the humorous references of The Incredibles makes it that a more mature audience can enjoy it too.

Generally, I don't find their films to cater particularly to kids.

Really? What a strange experience. Nemo? Cars? Toy Story? Hated by little children? Who buys the toys then?

Yes, my kid hated Ratatouille but he loved Toy Story. The humor, the inside jokes or the humorous references of The Incredibles makes it that a more mature audience can enjoy it too.

Ratatouille tends to be liked by teens, wannabe artists and critics that are into animation.

Generally, I don't find their films to cater particularly to kids.

Really? What a strange experience. Nemo? Cars? Toy Story? Hated by little children? Who buys the toys then?

Of course kids like them. I loved Toy Story when I was a kid (and now I like it more). And Nemo was one my big films, together with Master and Commander, when I was 11. But that's not my point.

An example. Monsters Inc. I found this to be a funny adventure with an insanely cool premise and a really wonderful clímax and ending. As far as I'm concerned, this is a film for me. It's animated, it's original, it even has funny looking monsters which I love. I'm in the target audience for this film. At no point I feel I'm seeing something designed for somebody else. And I'm not a kid! (Well, I think, on some occasions I have to rethink that.) When they say it's for kids I'm like what?

Of course! I can't speak for somebody else!

(But the critic part comes from some guys I read, not me)

About Monsters University. I'm not looking forward to it at all. It's just... wrong. I didn't care about Cars 2 because I just don't care about Cars, and Toy Story 3 made me shut up. But this? What is this? Why does this exist? Why is effort being put into this that could be put into The Good Dinosaur?

About Monsters University. I'm not looking forward to it at all. It's just... wrong. I didn't care about Cars 2 because I just don't care about Cars, and Toy Story 3 made me shut up. But this? What is this? Why does this exist? Why is effort being put into this that could be put into The Good Dinosaur?

Its a sad day when Pixar has fallen to the status of Disney cash-outs. I never would have thought it would happen, even in my wildest nightmares. Maybe I'm being a bit rash since I haven't seen Brave yet (which I heard wasn't too good), but the studio seems to have lost its intelligent charm and allure.

You can't tell me that Aladdin is specifically meant to be a kid's movie, when Robin Williams' Genie does impersonations of Rodney Dangerfield and Peter Lorre. What child has ever heard of them, let alone seen their work? Hell, Aladdin's my dad's favorite Disney movie, and he's older than even Joey!

If a "kid's movie" can appeal to adults as well -- the adults who might want to watch the film in the theater with their children, as opposed to dropping them off at the cinema while they head back to the minivan for a cigar and fuck -- then it has succeeded.

You can't tell me that Aladdin is specifically meant to be a kid's movie,

Well, not to the extent Nemo, Cars or Legend Of The Guardians are.

Hell, Aladdin's my dad's favorite Disney movie, and he's older than even Joey!

It's often said, old people are like little children. ;)

Of course! I can't speak for somebody else!

But you were speaking for other people.

Apparently family movies don't exist in the eyes of some.

Some are more family movies, others are more children's movies. It's difficult to grasp but after a while you will get there.

Sorry, but can you point out where the great insight is in your post? Some are more family movies, some are more kids movies. Yeah, and? Where's this difficulty of comprehension you mentioned?

*shrugs*

That some are more family oriented than others is what I've been saying all along so you can imagine how annoying your post is.

That some are more family oriented than others is what I've been saying all along so you can imagine how annoying your post is.

But I don't disagree with you...

Family movie (everyone): E.T.

Family movie (mainly kids): Finding Nemo

Kids movie: Happy Feet

Another way of looking at it is the British Board of Film Classification tiered system:

522ab20b-2a98-e915.jpg

522ab20b-2aa5-0f83.jpg