The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

Kids have no businesses being in movie theatres. They are loud, obnoxiuous and laugh uninhibited at the lamest banana peel pratfalls.

Most adults too.

Wait. that was my follow-up punchline!

• 4 weeks later...

Finding Nemo should be left alone, like E.T. was.

"From the producer of Alice and Wonderland and the visionary director of the Spiderman trilogy"

Sorry what?

Flagrant bullshit is obviously acceptable in marketing nowadays. Focus testing must show them that audience intelligence is at an all-time low, which is slightly more believable than the poster tagline.

Well to be honest, we've already had a "Search for Spock" movie, they found him, and they still made a sequel.

By the same token, they made a "Finding Nemo" movie, found him, and they're making a sequel.

If there's one thing we know about Disney it's that they LOVE their sequels.

Toy Story 4 is coming too. I'll watch that, won't watch the nemo sequel. not because it's sacriligious but I'm that guy who is Searching for Nemo's Charm but never found it.

I agree it is weird and outrageous.

It's awful! I was hoping that Pixar might be able to redeem itself if they produced an original idea after Monsters Inc. Well, there goes that. And why did they have to touch Finding Nemo of all their films? Next you know, we'll be having Up 2 and Wall-E 2!!! Oh the horror...

Lame

But, Leblanc! It means a Giacchino score for sure!

I hope not. I'd like Newman back for this film. His score was a perfect fit.

Lame

Just because it's directed by Andrew Stanton? He could bring Thomas Newman back, who knows!

I look forward to The Good Dinosaur and Pete Docter's film to see if this changes.

But I was first disappointed with Up, then Toy Story 3 which was great, then they made Cars 2 which I didn't even bother to check out, then Brave (I haven't seen it but it looks far less interesting than I think it could be), then Monsters University and more Nemo... they have been Disneyfied.

You were disappointed with Up? I find that to be one of their best films.

I loved it at first but I found the development of the film to be a missed oportunity. I wasn't a big fan of the villain character, it felt forced. And it was much less of a journey there than I thought it would be, in fact they skipped over the journey there!

this totally ruined my afternoon. damn you, pixar! like quint said, finding nemo is just one of those films that should be left alone. mark my words, if it sucks i'll never ever forgive them for in a way ruining my favorite film of theirs (and perhaps even one of my all-time favorite films, I take back my ridiculous 8.5 lol). what in god's name could it possibly even be about without being outrageously disappointing? ohgodwhy..... I should try to think positive, but why nemo?!?!:( go with up instead!

HEY! BB, I just noticed your sig! FUN!

I TOTALLY agree Alice, leave well enough alone. Its like the Lion King....LEAVE IT BE

HEY! BB, I just noticed your sig! FUN!

Indeed it is! But I wonder why I got assigned Bifur with the shaggy hair and all....Doesn't he have some mental disability in the films?

I must say though, Incanus' dwarf is quite appropriate ;)

this totally ruined my afternoon. damn you, pixar! like quint said, finding nemo is just one of those films that should be left alone. mark my words, if it sucks i'll never ever forgive them for in a way ruining my favorite film of theirs (and perhaps even one of my all-time favorite films, I take back my ridiculous 8.5 lol). what in god's name could it possibly even be about without being outrageously disappointing? ohgodwhy..... I should try to think positive, but why nemo?!?! :( go with up instead!

Up isn't a good idea either. Nemo isn't my favourite of theirs, but it's a classic film-of-the-time-when-I-was-eleven and I really dislike that this is happening and that Stanton doesn't uses his chops for something else!

Up 2 would be awful, even worse than Finding Nemo 2. I can't fathom how that idea got to your head Alice!

Nah. After John Carter, Stanton would be a fool to go back with Newman.

be silent! fool of a boal!

Up 2 would be awful, even worse than Finding Nemo 2. I can't fathom how that idea got to your head Alice!

I never said it would be good. Up 2 is a laughably terrible idea. it would probably suck. but it'd be like taking a bullet for precious nemo! I care relatively little for Up so I wouldn't be too upset.

Lame

I hope not. I'd like Newman back for this film. His score was a perfect fit.

Please! He'd give us another of his You've Got A Fish In Me songs, and some jazzy elevator music. No thanks!

Wrong Newman! I'm talking about the Snoozeman Newman! Snoozeman's score was perfect for Finding Nemo and Giacchino's style would largely deviate from that which wouldn't sit well with me.

Stanton said in Twitter that he picked Giacchino for John Carter specifically for the different musical colour. I expect him to go back to Snoozeman to score this atrocity of a project.

Please! He'd give us another of his You've Got A Fish In Me songs, and some jazzy elevator music. No thanks!

Wrong Newman! I'm talking about the Snoozeman Newman! Snoozeman's score was perfect for Finding Nemo and Giacchino's style would largely deviate from that which wouldn't sit well with me.

Randy, Thomas, David, Alfred, Lionel, Bobby, Johnny, Kevin, Michael... There seems to be a new Newman every year! Is there like a Newman factory or what?

There is but its location is confidential. And as many Newmans as there are, there is only Snoozeman. There was error during manufacturing.

I don't get the uproar over a sequel, you don't even know what it's about. I'll let Wojo repost what he said in the Man Of Steel thread.

I don't know what you're talking about.

No, these people fear that when the new [Finding Nemo] regime comes into power, the men in black will break into their homes, destroy their [Cast And Crew CDs], break their Blu-Rays, and erase the music from their iPods. It does happen in strange parts of the world, and so too will it happen here.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Monster University has some incredible marketing going on. First that very good trailer on the front of Wreck it Ralph and now during NCAA basketball. For those of you outside the United States, it's currently college basketball season. During the televised games between the teams there is a commercial advertising each university. The other day during the Florida Kentucky game a commercial for Monster University aired, but it was narrated by the characters as mimicking the actual university commericials. Quite innovative.

Nice! Reminds of when they made a special trailer for the first Monsters Inc to play in front of Harry Potter

Monster University has some incredible marketing going on. First that very good trailer on the front of Wreck it Ralph and now during NCAA basketball. For those of you outside the United States, it's currently college basketball season. During the televised games between the teams there is a commercial advertising each university. The other day during the Florida Kentucky game a commercial for Monster University aired, but it was narrated by the characters as mimicking the actual university commericials. Quite innovative.

Is this what you're talking about?

The marketing for this film is great! But with all I've seen, I don't seem to be finding a real point to the production of this film. I see a nice college romp kind of film, but I still don't see any real reason to why this film is being made.

Animation looks great though!

Well I know that. But you'd think they could veil that with some illusion of definite purpose.

Is this what you're talking about?

The marketing for this film is great! But with all I've seen, I don't seem to be finding a real point to the production of this film. I see a nice college romp kind of film, but I still don't see any real reason to why this film is being made.

Animation looks great though!

yes

• 2 months later...

Just watched the Monsters U trailer..... Not impressed! In fact it looks like the least interesting Pixar film yet. If the first film never existed and this was the introduction these characters it would never get made.... It just looks and feels like such a cash in movie. Bummer.