The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

Just watched the Monsters U trailer..... Not impressed! In fact it looks like the least interesting Pixar film yet. If the first film never existed and this was the introduction these characters it would never get made.... It just looks and feels like such a cash in movie. Bummer.

i agree!

Just watched the Monsters U trailer..... Not impressed! In fact it looks like the least interesting Pixar film yet. If the first film never existed and this was the introduction these characters it would never get made.... It just looks and feels like such a cash in movie. Bummer.

Agreed, although its been looking like that for a while now.

Animation looks beautiful though.

• 3 months later...

Pixar's The Good Dinosaur has been moved to 2015 and Finding Dory has been moved to 2016.

http://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-skips-2014-as-the-good-dinosaur-shifts-to-2015-and-finding-dory-to-2016/

I wonder how well The Good Dinosaur, an original film, will do in 2015 with competition from so many established franchises.

Pixar already has an original film coming out in the summer of 2015 - Inside Out. I made a post on the board here somewhere about how it's the only original movie coming out in a franchise-filled summer.

Found it

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23422&p=923295

I should've phrased that as "another original film." Whoops!

Inside Out is the upcoming Pixar film I'm most excited about (and one of the 2015 films I'm most excited about, too), but it's still a bummer that we'll have to wait even longer to watch The Good Dinosaur. Kudos to Pixar for delaying the film to get it right, though.

As for Finding Dory, I thought a 2015 release date was pretty early. It sounded like they only started production about a year ago (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/08/entertainment/la-et-mn-john-carter-director-20120908/2), and a Pixar film usually takes longer than just 3 years. I'm glad they aren't rushing it.

• 4 months later...

It must make money, surprisingly.

It makes shitloads, particularly in merchandising. That's not a reason to make another.

Hmm, you got me there Rich. Maybe they make them because they're being blackmailed by ruthless Brazilian kitchen workers.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Michael on this, The Incredibles is the only Pixar film that actually merited a sequel so I'm surprised it took them this long. If Bird comes back, I have high hopes.

See, people demand sequels! Do not longer blame Hollywood, folks, it's the people (you) that want it!

Hollywood is just supplying the need ... or did they create the need in the first place?

Discuss!

Alex

What was the moral lesson in The Empire Strikes Back that merited its place as a sequel?

"If you don't listen to your mentor, you might lose a hand."

Rich

See, people demand sequels! Do not longer blame Hollywood, folks, it's the people (you) that want it!

Hollywood is just supplying the need ... or did they create the need in the first place?

Discuss!

Alex

There's nothing inherently wrong with sequels. When the characters and situations are interesting and the story follows naturally from earlier installments, they can be magic and a terrific use of the medium. The trouble often arises when certain financial imperatives come into play, particularly in Hollywood...Pixar's been hit-and-miss with that, but I think there's huge potential for a new Incredibles.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sequels. When the characters and situations are interesting and the story follows naturally from earlier installments, they can be magic and a terrific use of the medium. The trouble often arises when certain financial imperatives come into play, particularly in Hollywood...Pixar's been hit-and-miss with that, but I think there's huge potential for a new Incredibles.

You say that as if 35 years of shitty sequels never happened. And who else does sequels if not Hollywood? I mean, THE PAINTED VEIL 2, L'AUBERGE ESPAGNOLE 5 and THERE WILL BE BLOOD: EVEN BLOODIER...where are they?

You say that as if 35 years of shitty sequels never happened. And who else does sequels if not Hollywood? I mean, THE PAINTED VEIL 2, L'AUBERGE ESPAGNOLE 5 and THERE WILL BE BLOOD: EVEN BLOODIER...where are they?

Three Colors? Before Sunset/Midnight? Saraband? The Apu trilogy? The Human Condition?

I'm not discounting Sturgeon's law here. I'm aware that there are hundreds of shitty sequels for every good one and I'm not saying Incredibles 2 is bound to join the above films, but is it really unreasonable to hope that the company that made two wonderful, compelling Toy Story sequels could produce something of quality from a film that actually introduced the idea of a continuing story in its ending?

Well, let me just say that if i had the power to ban sequels for the next 5 years i would do it and i would give a shit if that would kill a potential INCREDIBLES sequel. As it is, you will get your wish and i am sure that it will proudly stand alongside MONSTERS UNIVERSITY and CARS 4 or whatever junk they have in production right now.

I would probably take that deal, too. I'm just saying the form has been put to creative use in the past and there's no reason Pixar can't come up with something interesting again. If it blows, I'll find a way to carry on somehow :(

• 9 months later...

First pic released for The Good Dinosaur

Set to feature the voice talents of Lucas Neff, John Lithgow, Frances McDormand, Bill Hader and Neil Patrick Harris, The Good Dinosaur, directed by Pete Sohn, asks, “What would have happened if the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct?”

good-dino.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/395633-disneys-2015-preview-reveals-new-tomorrowland-and-the-good-dinosaur-images

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure I like that poster.

The film must have problems if they're recording all the dialogue again. A director change I guess isn't that unusual - Lasseter came on to try to save Cars 2.

• 4 weeks later...