The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

2 was nearly a straight-to-video disaster and they salvaged it into a masterpiece. I was extremely skeptical of 3 and thought it made a great case for its existence. I felt the same about 4. At this point I'm convinced it's a charmed franchise but I wish they'd stop pushing their luck with it. If they can't bear not to do 5 then it'd be better to have another 10-ish year gap. That helped 3 and 4 go down easier. 

I was very sceptical about TS4 after 3 provided such a fitting send-off, but enjoyed 4 a great deal anyway, however very much feeling the "are they pushing their luck?" vibe I have to agree. I mean, I hope it's great, but it feels increasingly risky to have yet another fond farewell... on the other hand, any excuse for a new Randy Newman score!

The Toy Story shorts were excellent. But I can't imagine that they want to do that. All four of the films have been the toy's (especially Woody's) relationship with the people. As good as 4 might have been it felt like such an afterthought after 3. They almost feel like alternate versions of 3.

So I can't imagine what would convince me to invest in 5.

But what do I know. I was against an Incredibles 2. (AND I WAS RIGHT!)

I’m happy they’ll make a movie that will excite my kid (same with the Frozen and Zootopia sequels he mentioned), and hopefully they will be good!  That’s about as passionate as I’m going to get about Toy Story.

I love Toy Story. But 5 had better be the end.

It probably should have ended after 2. Then it really should have ended after 3, which was very affecting but mostly just recapitulated themes from its predecessor. There was still plenty to like with 4, but it was so unnecessary, and I wasn't onboard with the ending at all. For me, the only silver lining to doing 5 is that it's a chance to right that wrong.

On 09/02/2023 at 9:19 PM, mstrox said:

I don’t think they need to be held in higher esteem than your Shreks and your Ice Ages.

Having re-watched all the Shreks recently, this is one of the wilder takes I've seen around here. And I don't hold TS3 in a top 10 Pixar status., but agree it was a fitting end, and they should leave well-enough alone.

With the possible exception of the How to Train Your Dragon movies (esp. 1 and ohhhhh it's SOOO BEAUTIFUL 2) the worst Pixar / Disney movies are just on a totally different level than any other studio.

They’re all movies for literal babies and should be viewed under the same microscope lens!  I don’t mean that one can’t be better than another (although I don’t like the Dragon things), but stressing out that the fifth Toy Story will Ruin the Institution is giving way too much cultural import to a series about the secret lives of talking toys (all of which I really liked, btw!).  Imo 

(Switch your lens slightly and I’ll offer the exact same criticism to tween stuff like space fantasy and comic book movies).

The strength of Pixar's films have always been that they're both for kids and adults.

These are not films for 'literal babies'. (Almost) Every Pixar film is a different viewing experience from when you are a child and then as adult. That's why I feel they're so great

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2023 at 3:10 PM, mstrox said:

I don’t view that as too different from Shrek including The Matrix references or whatever - all of these movies have “something for the parents.”

I have no problem being out there alone on this one though!

I guess people are falling for TS's sentimentality. 

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

First bit of Newman score. Sounds nice.

So excited for a new animated Newman score! This does already sound lovely.

However, the character design and visual aesthetics are really bad in my opinion. It looks like a cheap television animated show. The water character here looks especially bad... Maybe it'll take time to grow on me.

It also just looks derivative of Inside Out. If the screenplay and world-building are as clever as Pixar can be then it won't matter much but still, looks a bit copy-paste. 

Although looking at the premise, they don't seem to be doing the Pixar thing of "here is what's REALLY been going on the whole time!" and it's just a pretend city with elemental characters. I guess more like the Cars approach. 

On 27/05/2023 at 1:32 PM, mrbellamy said:

Although looking at the premise, they don't seem to be doing the Pixar thing of "here is what's REALLY been going on the whole time!" and it's just a pretend city with elemental characters. I guess more like the Cars approach. 

I've found that recent Pixar films have gotten a little meta-modernist and allegorical. The older films were more of their own universe. Probably why I liked Onward so much.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

First poster for Elio:

Pode ser uma imagem de 1 pessoa e texto que diz "The universe called ...the wrong number. DisNEy PIXAR eLio Only In Theaters 2024"

This movie is begging for a John Powell score! But it's more likely that it'll be either the Danna bros, Giacchino or an indie composer.

I mean, for the last 10 years, there's only a couple of Pixar scores where I wouldn't have traded for a Powell score, but this does indeed seem ideal for him, but yeah, probably not going to get it... maybe they shy away because of his multiple collaborations with various other CGI animation studios?!

18 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Anyone else really not like Inside Out? I finally got around to watching it, and was really disappointed. 

It's very simplistic, but it's also very good.

Anyone who has, or works with, children should watch this.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's very simplistic, but it's also very good.

Anyone who has, or works with, children should watch this.

I appreciate that. I definitely appreciate that their output has become more diverse, but looking back, it seemed to start a trend of overly allegorical Pixar films that looks to be continuing with Elemental.

I did really like Onward, though. It feels like more classic Pixar. I should probably give Coco a second chance. I thought Soul was a great final third with a really dull first and second. I couldn’t get into Luca at all. I still need to see Incredibles 2, but I’m not really fond of any Pixar sequel, even Toy Story, though those are the best.

TOY STORY 2 transcends the original, in every single way.

THE INCREDIBLES 2 is not quite as good as the original, but it's still a damn fine film

I'm very interested to see where Pixar goes, with INSIDE OUT 2.

Curiously enough, a lot of teachers (I work at the local high school) have INSIDE OUT in their offices :)

On 17/6/2023 at 9:23 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

TOY STORY 2 transcends the original, in every single way.

It’s better, but it’s not as good lol. I do think it’s better than the third one.

On 13/02/2023 at 8:50 AM, mstrox said:

They’re all movies for literal babies and should be viewed under the same microscope lens!  I don’t mean that one can’t be better than another (although I don’t like the Dragon things), but stressing out that the fifth Toy Story will Ruin the Institution is giving way too much cultural import to a series about the secret lives of talking toys (all of which I really liked, btw!).  Imo 

(Switch your lens slightly and I’ll offer the exact same criticism to tween stuff like space fantasy and comic book movies).

you sound fun

On 16/06/2023 at 8:34 PM, Schilkeman said:

I should probably give Coco a second chance

I did. I still don't like it.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Coco is awesome!

I so strongly dislike the grandmother, it ruins the film for me. I simply reject the premise.  It's a beautiful film, but its message of "follow your heart," gets really muddled with "respect your elders," a philosophy I learned to be wary of from a young age. I'm sure it's a cultural thing, to some extant, but I think Ratatouille did it better. I think it was a more original concept, more imaginatively animated, and more intelligently scripted. 

Coco is god-tier.  Other top ones - Toy Story 3, Up, Incredibles.  I remember Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, and Wall-E being quite good, too, but I’d need to rewatch to know if I’d still feel that way.

• 4 months later...

Bringing a discussion from the Upcoming Films thread to here: Pixar's Elio moves from March 1, 2024 to June 13, 2025.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/disney-delays-snow-white-actor-strike-1235629856/

So far there's one Pixar movie dated for 2024: Inside Out 2. We'll see if it will remain where it is or if it'll move due to the strike.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Pixar's Elio moves from March 1, 2024 to June 13, 2025.

That's a huge delay. They are not going to dismantle the film and rework it into a different movie (e.g. Good Dinosaur), are they?