The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

(And to think that Williams's cadence of choice for Irina's Theme would be a neopolitan#9! Much more fun than flat minor VI !)

Uhhhhhhh...sure. Yeah.

:)

;)

I mean Call of the Cristal is a 4 minute piece,it can't be the same little theme looped for all that time. This sounds like the first 30 seconds or so.

Yeah, after recoiling from my sheer boredom shock...my logic is telling me the same, Mark.

Or at least hopefully.

I agree about Marion's Theme. Never cared for it that much but I love the arrangment that we hear of it on the Finale.

The Jungle Chase jumped out at me as well. Reminds me a little bit of the Hoth music in Empire Strikes Back with the frantic string/orchestral writing underneath everything. And that's about as good as it can get for JW action music for me but we'll see, its only 30 seconds.

That's why I wanted to wait because it just makes you long for something cohesive that goes on for a minute at least. But I barely hesitated to listen to the tracks. The side of me that didn't want to hear first is even more weak and pathetic than I previously thought.

- Adam

Some of it sounds great,some of the cues sound like "looking around for stuff in the cave" type cues.

for the more subdued underscore, we'll have to see if those cues have built in highlights.Every Williams score has these dark cues,like the Well of the Souls, the unreleased cave music from ToD and Ah Rats (The Catacombs) from Last Crusade. Or the Dagobah music,the Death Star music ...ect...

I'm feeling better and better about these clips (with the exception of a couple boring ones from the latter half of the disc). The only thing I'm concerned about is the direct lifts from Raiders in "The Spell of the Skull" and "Journey to Akator" (and who knows how much more?). I think they could work, but they could end up like the fanfare at the end of "Palpatine's Teachings" - terrible.

The thunderous statement of the Raiders March at the end of "The Departure" sounds appropriately dramatic. This won't be as light weight as Last Crusade.

Okay, I exaggerate... it isn't terrible... but the transition to TPM material is jarring and I would have preferred some original music. It also mistreats the Rebel fanfare by underscoring a shot of clone troopers.

s (with the exception of a couple boring ones from the latter half of the disc).

Well,what can I tell from the clip of "Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold" ?Absolutely nothing,because it's 6 minutes long and probably covers a few scenes in the film.From the title I expect a magnificent "discovery" cue at some point .

On the other hand,"Grave Robbers"is probably what it sounds like all the way through

After last night my already non-existent doubts (I am a true believer after all) were put to rest. These clips show very little and are for the most part obscure and low keyed with few snippets of glory (which must have been the intention of who ever chose these clips to generate most anticipation in the listeners) but what can be heard sounds energetic, fun and most of all a nice blend of old and new. The themes sound wonderful and there are plenty of action set pieces and even a few nice thematic quotes from the old scores to keep this music rooted to the tradition.

The French review said that the score has a whole plethora of Raiders March renditions and Williams puts it through every possible permutation so I have a feeling that we have heard nothing yet :)

And now to wait patiently for 2 weeks.

Based on these probably less than representative sample clips, I presumptuously suspect that the score will be by and large regarded as the thematically weakest of the Indy scores. Why? Texturally, harmonically, timbrally, Williams may be firing on all cylinders (as he usually is), but the high-flying sing-along lyricality that colors nearly every passage of Temple of Doom seems barely evident in the snippets of even what one would suppose to be the melodic showpieces of the new score: "Call of the Crystal," "The Adventures of Mutt," and "Irina's Theme." "Marion's Theme," then, serves the Crystal Skull score in much the way "Princess Leia's Theme" does the Revenge of the Sith score: it is this theme -- with an unbridled romantic verve seemingly lost to the Williams of a bygone era -- next to which the new themes draw pale and by which the listener is finally, belatedly transported.

As I noted to begin with, this is all deeply irresponsible (and to some of you I'm sure, nonsensical) speculation at this point, but it's the vibe I'm getting as I listen...and project.

This is going to be absolutely fantastic!

Yes, yes, the reason why the beginning (of "The Adventures of Mutt") sounds similar to the beginning of "Lost Boys Ballet" or whatever from "Hook", is because Williams uses a similar technique of rushing non-diatonic V-I sequences. It's an harmonic technique, not a case of "lifting"!

(And to think that Williams's cadence of choice for Irina's Theme would be a neopolitan#9! Much more fun than flat minor VI !)

hey.. well that mutt + lost boys connection.. yes this chord sequence.. I know about that. the shifting/lifting that sounded a bit awkward I thought was the one in the MIDI of the french reviewer - from D major to the major second step E

and Irina's theme I agree about that :)

Based on these probably less than representative sample clips, I presumptuously suspect that the score will be by and large regarded as the thematically weakest of the Indy scores. Why? Texturally, harmonically, timbrally, Williams may be firing on all cylinders (as he usually is), but the high-flying sing-along lyricality that colors nearly every passage of Temple of Doom seems barely evident in the snippets of even what one would suppose to be the melodic showpieces of the new score: "Call of the Crystal," "The Adventures of Mutt," and "Irina's Theme." "Marion's Theme," then, serves the Crystal Skull score in much the way "Princess Leia's Theme" does the Revenge of the Sith score: it is this theme -- with an unbridled romantic verve seemingly lost to the Williams of a bygone era -- next to which the new themes draw pale and by which the listener is finally, belatedly transported.

As I noted to begin with, this is all deeply irresponsible (and to some of you I'm sure, nonsensical) speculation at this point, but it's the vibe I'm getting as I listen...and project.

Listening to the samples, I get the feeling that the score for "KotCS" could be another restrained, complex -- maybe even benign -- John Williams score peppered with fleeting flourishes of the leitmotif-centric Williams of old. Having said that, "Irina's Theme" sounds like it could be Williams' strongest melody since the "Harry Potter" theme, the love theme from "Star Wars: Episode II ("Across the Stars"), and the main themes from "The Patriot", "Angela's Ashes" and "Jurassic Park".

Of course,"I hope the complete tracks are better than those samples" is not really a good thing. For now I have no idea what to think of Irena's Theme or the Skull theme,I need to hear how they are developped.The clips seem to be lacking in lush orchestration

If you cut any 30 seconds of Hedwig's Theme or Harry's Wondrous World ,you know instantly they are great theme without needing to hear the whole thing.

I've been waiting for two years for this! Just how good is it?

I mean Call of the Cristal is a 4 minute piece,it can't be the same little theme looped for all that time. This sounds like the first 30 seconds or so.

I would not think so. Sound like a build up tension just like the ark theme from Raiders. You know like The Miracle Of The Crystal Skull.... like "The Miracle Of The Ark".

These clips are of poor sound quality . . . you have to factor that in. Once you listen to the tracks in their entirety on your MP3 player or on your computer, I'm sure you'll be blown away! :)

The track I'm most excited about right now is still The Jungle Chase!!!!

Of course. Better of buying the CD album from the store. Comes with great CD quality!

The the percussion solo in Robber gravers sample clips sound something like you hear from Memoir Geshia or from Jurassic Park like someone already mentioned ...

Sound really good. Especially The Jungle Chase. I can tell just from hearing these sample clips that this score has got classic moments in it and it is going to a be a memorable score.

I'm sure it would be in excellent quality. No doubt about that.

As far as I know, Shawn Murphy is John Williams's mixer for his scores and the soundtracks in music department ever since sometime around 1990s before the start year of 2000.

Get over yourself, and drop your ridiculously high expectations of John Williams in "80s adventure bombastic leitmotif" mode.

Get over yourself, and drop your ridiculously high expectations of John Williams in "80s adventure bombastic leitmotif" mode.

Both The Phantom Menace and to some extent Prisoner of Azkaban followed that mode, so one can naively hope this time will be the same.

Chris - who managed to remain new-music-free so far.

Who the hell are you? Newbies should get in line before they're allowed to talk!

This one doesn't seem to have the "fun" track along the lines of The Basket Game, Bug Tunnel And Death Trap, and No Ticket...

This one doesn't seem to have the "fun" track along the lines of The Basket Game, Bug Tunnel And Death Trap, and No Ticket...

Errrr, how about The Adventures of Mutt and A Whirl Through Academe?

Call of the Crystal has really grown on me. I was nervous when I heard about the use of the contimuom, but now I am looking forward to hearing its full use in the film.

I don't get all the fuss, it's perfectly simple to me.

I refuse to speculate on the quality of a score based on a bunch of samples which last only seconds.

I'll admit that I somewhat lost interest in the soundclips after listening to them each once or twice. There are a few I really like, but overall I'd say they were pretty good and not much more. As many have pointed out, this doesn't mean anything about the score itself. Sounds clips never tell a track's whole story. So we'll have to wait and see...

Ted