The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

I am wondering that if Raiders of the Lost Ark was released today and some random 30 second clips of each track (lets pretend that the 1995 expanded release would be the one being posted) were posted on some internet retailer's site, what would be the reaction.

Take 30 seconds of every Raiders track from the beginning of each track and try how it sounds. Listen with fresh ears and try to form an opinion of the whole score based on that. What is your verdict? Promising? Lame? Wonderful? Exciting? Boring? Underwhelming? Can you form an adequate picture of the whole score or even whole tracks based on these clips?

I was thinking about that as well. I just don't think you could find many dull moments in Raiders or ToD. Last Crusade is a different story.

I mean, if you took the right 30-second samples, "Flight from Peru" could come off as a minor, flighty action cue, "To Cairo" could sound like a low-key source-style piece and "The Miracle of the Ark" could sound like a (as king mark puts it) "crawling through caves" cue. Only a few such deceptions are possible, though.

I am wondering that if Raiders of the Lost Ark was released today and some random 30 second clips of each track (lets pretend that the 1995 expanded release would be the one being posted) were posted on some internet retailer's site, what would be the reaction.

Take 30 seconds of every Raiders track from the beginning of each track and try how it sounds. Listen with fresh ears and try to form an opinion of the whole score based on that. What is your verdict? Promising? Lame? Wonderful? Exciting? Boring? Underwhelming? Can you form an adequate picture of the whole score or even whole tracks based on these clips?

That's a hard proposition!

Our expectations are so high right now because we KNOW what we can expect from an Indy score. But if we heard sound clips of RotLA for the first time, we'd probably think, "Hmmmm, catchy main melody. A march. Pretty good so far, I wonder how the rest will match up." But nothing much more...

I was thinking about that as well. I just don't think you could find many dull moments in Raiders or ToD. Last Crusade is a different story.

I think 30 second clips of Raiders' music do not give even the barest hint of how good the whole score is. Most people who love JWs adventure music would be pretty depressed based on those clips.

ToD has a lot more going on if you would sample first 30 seconds of the OST tracks. Has to do with the fact that the 40 minutes are packed with highlights.

I try to learn as little about upcoming releases as possible, as long as it's something I'm interested in anyway. I've tried to find out as little about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as has been humanly possible. I'll most likely hear the score for the first time when I see the film. I don't see the benefit of finding every tidbit you can on an upcoming film. And I'm not surprised that the samples aren't that spectacular. They don't do any score justice.

The Hook similarity comes from the beginning of "Adventures of Mutt", which sounds very much like "The Lost Boy Chase".

Exactly :sleepy:

Did anyone else think Dennis Steals The Embryo when they heard Grave Robbers? They both give me a similar vibe.

Jungle Chase gives me a T-rex vibe.

Amazon has very lame score samples. I used to browse through them to learn something about these Williams' scores I didn't know yet and more often than not very exciting tracks were advertised with extremely dull clips. Period.

Get over yourself, and drop your ridiculously high expectations of John Williams in "80s adventure bombastic leitmotif" mode.

Who the hell are you? Newbies should get in line before they're allowed to talk!

Heh, I've been posting here two years longer than you have and browsing longer than that. Not that makes an iota of difference to anything we're saying. :rolleyes: I'll reiterate what others have said, and ignore speculation on an hour-long album based on poorly-chosen low-quality clips. And reiterate what I've said; keep your mind and ears open - not all of us are anticipating the joys of Williams in a familiar mode. I could be perfectly happy with more abstract 'prequel-style' scores incorporating the Indy theme(s). Infact I suspect a score in the very same vein as Raiders will not push any of our buttons like that particular score does.

Of course one could say it's also absurd to get all excited over 30 second clips when you haven't heard the entire thing.

As far as I know, Shawn Murphy is John Williams's mixer for his scores and the soundtracks in music department ever since sometime around 1990s before the start year of 2000.

Murphy has worked on the majority of Williams scores from 1992 to the present (his first Williams score was Empire of the Sun) but occasionally Dennis Sands (Rosewood) and Simon Rhodes (Angela's Ashes, Harry Potter 1 and 2, and An Amercan Journey) have done some recording for Williams.

-Erik-

Anyone notice that Irina's Theme seems to contain elements of Indy's theme (Raiders March) and the Crystal Skull theme (Call of the Crystal), as if she is Indy's perfect archnemesis, the Russian hero rather than American, but she is obsessed with harnessing the power of the Skull, and as such the chromatic Skull melody has infected her theme.

Ignoring the anacrusis, the first four notes of Irina's Theme (G#, A, C, E') are basically identical intervallically [and rhythmically, sort of] to the first four notes of Indy's (G#, A, B, E'). Other relationships I've picked out are shown below.

krystalskullthematicrelta9.png

I really like the sample clip for the "jungle chase". It really does sound something like from Empire Strikes Back.. even though its Indiana Jones.

Anyone notice that Irina's Theme seems to contain elements of Indy's theme (Raiders March) and the Crystal Skull theme (Call of the Crystal), as if she is Indy's perfect archnemesis, the Russian hero rather than American, but she is obsessed with harnessing the power of the Skull, and as such the chromatic Skull melody has infected her theme.

Ignoring the anacrusis, the first four notes of Irina's Theme (G#, A, C, E') are basically identical intervallically [and rhythmically, sort of] to the first four notes of Indy's (G#, A, B, E'). Other relationships I've picked out are shown below.

Well, duh.

:wave:

Listening to the clips I was already mixing up the skull theme and Irina's theme. They seem to be complimentary

Oh my god...

Well duh..what did you expect from new Indiana Jones adventurous score, aye?

Seems they have more than one KotCS OST site.

one for the CD (without samples) and one for the mp3s (with samples)

And the import...

(wohooo complete score! :mellow: nah! )

Get over yourself, and drop your ridiculously high expectations of John Williams in "80s adventure bombastic leitmotif" mode.

Who the hell are you? Newbies should get in line before they're allowed to talk!

Hey Josh, for further reference look under your avatar and you'll see that your the 1000 something member at JWfan, while looking at Miz's avatar you'll see he/she was #119, and has been here over two years longer than you.

Hey Josh, for further reference look under your avatar and you'll see that your the 1000 something member at JWfan, while looking at Miz's avatar you'll see he/she was #119, and has been here over two years longer than you.

Joey? Joey? Who the hell are YOU???

Best post in this thread.

The soundtrack is coming to Fnac Madrid!! It could be any moment at the end of the next week or the begining of the next. Finally it will cost 16,95 euros, and in the first place we are going to recieve only 30 copies. I talked to my boss to receive more, because if not, they are going to sold out in two days...

The soundtrack is coming to Fnac Madrid!! It could be any moment at the end of the next week or the begining of the next. Finally it will cost 16,95 euros, and in the first place we are going to recieve only 30 copies. I talked to my boss to receive more, because if not, they are going to sold out in two days...

and sell it when? I ordered it on internet because here the CDs always arrive a week or more after the release of the film...

damn...well at least i'm paying 4.5 € less.

I hope i'm not screwed...

I've really enjoyed reading people's reactions to the samples, it sounds like this score is really special. I haven't listened to the samples yet, because I want to either listen to the album in its entirety or hear the music for the first time in the theater, without a tainted experience, though I haven't decided which one yet. I wanted to do the latter for Revenge of the Sith, but I caved a few minutes after the full tracks were leaked last time, hopefully I can resist this time around. I've waited three years for the next John Williams score, so I'm ok with waiting a few more days at least before I hear a single note. Whatever the score ends up being, I am hoping for some gorgeous variations on Marion's theme, there is no limit to how beautiful Williams can make that augmented fourth.

I've really enjoyed reading people's reactions to the samples, it sounds like this score is really special. I haven't listened to the samples yet, because I want to either listen to the album in its entirety or hear the music for the first time in the theater, without a tainted experience, though I haven't decided which one yet. I wanted to do the latter for Revenge of the Sith, but I caved a few minutes after the full tracks were leaked last time, hopefully I can resist this time around. I've waited three years for the next John Williams score, so I'm ok with waiting a few more days at least before I hear a single note. Whatever the score ends up being, I am hoping for some gorgeous variations on Marion's theme, there is no limit to how beautiful Williams can make that augmented fourth.

Hmmm, yeah this score IS something very special, judging from what I heard so far.

However, I have to admit, I don't understand this mindset of "not listening to the samples so I can enjoy the actual album even more." Listening to these short samples in no way diminishes the actual listening experience, IMO, either on the album OR in the movie. In fact, it's quite the opposite. It whets the appetite for more. It's like watching the trailers. Watching them doesn't get in the way of enjoying the movie-going experience, either... or does it?

But, of course, to each his own! :lol:

and sell it when? I ordered it on internet because here the CDs always arrive a week or more after the release of the film...

damn...well at least i'm paying 4.5 € less.

I hope i'm not screwed...

The official date is the 20 (as you can see in the web), but whith soundtracks you never know... I´m sure that it will come between the 20 and the 22

lisbeth scott ('wailing woman') in Indiana jones IV?

click

I was looking if she worked on Speed Racer (it seems she didnt) but i found indy...

Oh and she has a photo with Williams and Spielberg there :rolleyes:

BTW, Question for spanish people that buy in Play.com, are any extra taxes to be paid for the import?, i mean if I buy one thing there, that is the final cost?

Well, if this is what we get after Johnny gets three years off, I'm saying he needs time off more often. After 2005, I think he needed it...the scores were sounding good, but not great and the movies he scored were pretty sub-par too (save for Munich--score and film were pretty good). Sounds like he's really recharged and ready to not only revisit his niche of film scoring, but also revisit an old friend.

"Raiders March" sounds like the same arrangement from LC, but mixed better and using a larger orchestra (or not).

"Adventures of Mutt" sounds sort of like "Aunt Margie's Waltz" and towards the end of the clip sounds like some definite mid-80s JW; can't place what it sounds like.

"Irina's Theme" is definitely reminding me of Witches of Eastwick some.

"Snake Pit" carries on the tradition of "Basket Chase" and "Fast Streets of Shanghai" with the fast tempo, pulsing strings and woodwinds.

"Spell of the Skull" at first, I thought they'd thrown "Map Room" by accident, but then I heard it play out differently after the quote; nice touch.

"Journey to Akator" has NAILED it. I've always loved that segue in the Raiders March between Marion's Theme/Willie's Theme/Scherzo back into the actual Indy theme--which is why I love the end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai"--you get that nice quote of the main Indy theme, but then it's followed up by the "segue theme" w/ the Short Round flavor. This cue just exploits that feeling I get from those two cues and really puts me in a kind of euphoria. I didn't know that could happen in less than 30 seconds.

"A Whirl" channels something from another "Streets of Shanghai" cue--the one from Empire of the Sun. So yet another throwback to the 80s. Nice.

"Jungle Chase" immediately brings to mind PoA, but I'm sure that could remind me of something else from the 80s...maybe Scherzo, vaguely?

"Grave Robbers"..."Conveyor Belt" from AOTC first, then "Dennis Steals the Embryo", then it kinda does its own thing after that.

"Secret Doors and Scorpions"...sounds like the film version of "Children in Chains". +1 for JW.

"Ants!" actually does feel like, "Ah, Rats!" but mostly feels like WotW.

"The Departure" I was expecting to hear the 4-note Raptor motif somewhere...then I hear the Indy theme and remember what I'm listening to.

"The Finale" definitely takes me back to Raiders. Yeah, I love the new arrangement and it's quite a bit better than hearing "Princess Leia's Theme" again in RotS.

On the whole, I think it's better than I expected from a first listen. It feels like these types of JW-scores have once again disappeared, much like the Golden Age sound did in the late-60s and early-70s. Even JW's scores have felt thematically/dynamically lacking. However, there's something that I'm hearing in this new Indy score that sounds very familiar. It's not just a bland action score with some Indy quotes thrown in...it's a return to form, I think. Not a full-blown one...this still isn't on par with Raiders or TOD, but I think it's a worthy competitor with LC thus far. Although, I think I'm hanging "Journey to Akator" up there with the best Indy cue ever written, in my book. I know it's ludicrous, but that little sample just did it for me. Now let's see if the movie's gonna feel the same way as the score.

I think I'm hanging "Journey to Akator" up there with the best Indy cue ever written, in my book. I know it's ludicrous...

Yeah pretty much.

Wow...no wonder I don't post here much. I just sketched some thoughts I had based on the samples and already I've got people bashing me. Hell, I had my reservations about taking the time to make the post at all, but even though I listen to a lot less JW these days, I still listen to quite a bit and thought I'd still be able to relate to people here. But I guess it's not so much the ability to relate so much as it's just being one of the gang. No telling how many n00bs you "elitists" have run out of here over the years. Son of a bitch, you guys. Geez.

Don't take it too personally, Rambo, this sort of thing is quite common around here. It can put you off at the beginning, but is also makes this the best MB I have ever visited.

Please do stick around

Wow...no wonder I don't post here much. I just sketched some thoughts I had based on the samples and already I've got people bashing me. Hell, I had my reservations about taking the time to make the post at all, but even though I listen to a lot less JW these days, I still listen to quite a bit and thought I'd still be able to relate to people here. But I guess it's not so much the ability to relate so much as it's just being one of the gang. No telling how many n00bs you "elitists" have run out of here over the years. Son of a bitch, you guys. Geez.

lol

Don;t take it so hard. I read you post thinking maybe you got an advance copy of the c.d..

Personally I have no idea what to make of these samples