The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

Wow...no wonder I don't post here much. I just sketched some thoughts I had based on the samples and already I've got people bashing me. Hell, I had my reservations about taking the time to make the post at all, but even though I listen to a lot less JW these days, I still listen to quite a bit and thought I'd still be able to relate to people here. But I guess it's not so much the ability to relate so much as it's just being one of the gang. No telling how many n00bs you "elitists" have run out of here over the years. Son of a bitch, you guys. Geez.

lol

Don;t take it so hard. I read you post thinking maybe you got an advance copy of the c.d..

Personally I have no idea what to make of these samples

Well, I think it sounds like the most interesting action score that JW's written in a while.

Hey guys...we have, like, nine days until the first JW score in over two years. :huh:

Do we really? I'm surprised it's that time already. It's like this whole thing has snuck up on us with barely a whisper of its arrival.

Hey guys...we have, like, nine days until the first JW score in over two years. :huh:

O M G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else find it odd that Concord Music still has NOTHING about this on its official site???

I mean, what's going on over there?

This is the right site, right?

Does anyone else find it odd that Concord Music still has NOTHING about this on its official site???

well it seems like Lucasfilm is responsible for the soundtrack advertisemenzt...- you know because of the link on the official indy site.

io think it was the same with Harry Potter I where there was a link on the film's homepage but nothing on the warner site.. wasn#t it?

well it seems like Lucasfilm is responsible for the soundtrack advertisemenzt...- you know because of the link on the official indy site.

Hmmm, has Lucasfilm done anything to advertise it yet? Except for saying on its site that it has 19 tracks???

Memoirs, for example, had its OWN webside for the soundtrack, with clips and all! It's still on, in fact! Here.

Hmmm, has Lucasfilm done anything to advertise it yet? Except for saying on its site that it has 19 tracks???

Memoirs, for example, had its OWN webside for the soundtrack, with clips and all! It's still on, in fact!

yes but the site for Episode III wasn't online until what.... 9 days before the movie started screening

There is going to be a score website.. or a webpage.. as it says on the linke on Indianajones.com and it is also featured in the IndianaJonesShop

Hmmm, let's hope that they won't wait too long! :huh:

Well, if this is what we get after Johnny gets three years off, I'm saying he needs time off more often. After 2005, I think he needed it...the scores were sounding good, but not great and the movies he scored were pretty sub-par too (save for Munich--score and film were pretty good). Sounds like he's really recharged and ready to not only revisit his niche of film scoring, but also revisit an old friend.

"Raiders March" sounds like the same arrangement from LC, but mixed better and using a larger orchestra (or not).

"Adventures of Mutt" sounds sort of like "Aunt Margie's Waltz" and towards the end of the clip sounds like some definite mid-80s JW; can't place what it sounds like.

"Irina's Theme" is definitely reminding me of Witches of Eastwick some.

"Snake Pit" carries on the tradition of "Basket Chase" and "Fast Streets of Shanghai" with the fast tempo, pulsing strings and woodwinds.

"Spell of the Skull" at first, I thought they'd thrown "Map Room" by accident, but then I heard it play out differently after the quote; nice touch.

"Journey to Akator" has NAILED it. I've always loved that segue in the Raiders March between Marion's Theme/Willie's Theme/Scherzo back into the actual Indy theme--which is why I love the end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai"--you get that nice quote of the main Indy theme, but then it's followed up by the "segue theme" w/ the Short Round flavor. This cue just exploits that feeling I get from those two cues and really puts me in a kind of euphoria. I didn't know that could happen in less than 30 seconds.

"A Whirl" channels something from another "Streets of Shanghai" cue--the one from Empire of the Sun. So yet another throwback to the 80s. Nice.

"Jungle Chase" immediately brings to mind PoA, but I'm sure that could remind me of something else from the 80s...maybe Scherzo, vaguely?

"Grave Robbers"..."Conveyor Belt" from AOTC first, then "Dennis Steals the Embryo", then it kinda does its own thing after that.

"Secret Doors and Scorpions"...sounds like the film version of "Children in Chains". +1 for JW.

"Ants!" actually does feel like, "Ah, Rats!" but mostly feels like WotW.

"The Departure" I was expecting to hear the 4-note Raptor motif somewhere...then I hear the Indy theme and remember what I'm listening to.

"The Finale" definitely takes me back to Raiders. Yeah, I love the new arrangement and it's quite a bit better than hearing "Princess Leia's Theme" again in RotS.

I totally agree with you, Rambo. Don't let the others get under your skin... they're mindless idiots! (some of them, at least)

I just had a look trying to find any reference to the soundtrack's future existence on Dutch sites (because I want to be able to BUY the friggin' thing here), but could find nothing at all. Nothing listed on the Free Record Shop site, that's for sure. I recall they did know about the RotS soundtrack. Very strange.

I just had a look trying to find any reference to the soundtrack's future existence on Dutch sites (because I want to be able to BUY the friggin' thing here), but could find nothing at all. Nothing listed on the Free Record Shop site, that's for sure. I recall they did know about the RotS soundtrack. Very strange.

Well there is not a faintest inkling of a hint of the score's release on any Finnish site which has gotten me worried. And as usual one of the bigger stores here did not have a clue when it is released. They say that they just sell the stuff and take in what the distributor hands them so they do not know what is being released untill a few days before the actual release date. Of course this concerns mostly such marginal stuff as film scores and whatnot. I am sure the latest pop album is on their lists months before the release.

So now I am waiting patiently and with trepidation the 20th of May. I would like to buy a CD from an actual store for a change but they are making it harder and harder to put my faith and money in them.

I'm sure the OS will be released in time for the movie, pretty much everywhere.

This is (one of) the biggest movie(s) of the year. Of course, they're gonna release the OS in time, even in the Netherlands and Finland!

I know this does not help, but I've ordered from them often and have not been taxed with the exception of a region 1 DVD set.
Now, Manuel, they ship from an European wharehouse. I've never been taxed for anything extra before.

Ah ok, thanks, its just that i read marian saying that the customs in his country had been starting to apply taxes to him or something.

And the play.com warns that additional taxes may be applied in countries because they ship from Jersey Islands, that are not part of the European Union.

Well, if this is what we get after Johnny gets three years off, I'm saying he needs time off more often. After 2005, I think he needed it...the scores were sounding good, but not great and the movies he scored were pretty sub-par too (save for Munich--score and film were pretty good). Sounds like he's really recharged and ready to not only revisit his niche of film scoring, but also revisit an old friend.

"Raiders March" sounds like the same arrangement from LC, but mixed better and using a larger orchestra (or not).

"Adventures of Mutt" sounds sort of like "Aunt Margie's Waltz" and towards the end of the clip sounds like some definite mid-80s JW; can't place what it sounds like.

"Irina's Theme" is definitely reminding me of Witches of Eastwick some.

"Snake Pit" carries on the tradition of "Basket Chase" and "Fast Streets of Shanghai" with the fast tempo, pulsing strings and woodwinds.

"Spell of the Skull" at first, I thought they'd thrown "Map Room" by accident, but then I heard it play out differently after the quote; nice touch.

"Journey to Akator" has NAILED it. I've always loved that segue in the Raiders March between Marion's Theme/Willie's Theme/Scherzo back into the actual Indy theme--which is why I love the end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai"--you get that nice quote of the main Indy theme, but then it's followed up by the "segue theme" w/ the Short Round flavor. This cue just exploits that feeling I get from those two cues and really puts me in a kind of euphoria. I didn't know that could happen in less than 30 seconds.

"A Whirl" channels something from another "Streets of Shanghai" cue--the one from Empire of the Sun. So yet another throwback to the 80s. Nice.

"Jungle Chase" immediately brings to mind PoA, but I'm sure that could remind me of something else from the 80s...maybe Scherzo, vaguely?

"Grave Robbers"..."Conveyor Belt" from AOTC first, then "Dennis Steals the Embryo", then it kinda does its own thing after that.

"Secret Doors and Scorpions"...sounds like the film version of "Children in Chains". +1 for JW.

"Ants!" actually does feel like, "Ah, Rats!" but mostly feels like WotW.

"The Departure" I was expecting to hear the 4-note Raptor motif somewhere...then I hear the Indy theme and remember what I'm listening to.

"The Finale" definitely takes me back to Raiders. Yeah, I love the new arrangement and it's quite a bit better than hearing "Princess Leia's Theme" again in RotS.

On the whole, I think it's better than I expected from a first listen. It feels like these types of JW-scores have once again disappeared, much like the Golden Age sound did in the late-60s and early-70s. Even JW's scores have felt thematically/dynamically lacking. However, there's something that I'm hearing in this new Indy score that sounds very familiar. It's not just a bland action score with some Indy quotes thrown in...it's a return to form, I think. Not a full-blown one...this still isn't on par with Raiders or TOD, but I think it's a worthy competitor with LC thus far. Although, I think I'm hanging "Journey to Akator" up there with the best Indy cue ever written, in my book. I know it's ludicrous, but that little sample just did it for me. Now let's see if the movie's gonna feel the same way as the score.

Good post only I disagree with the bold passage. JW has written golden age type scores untill early 90's at least (Hook, Jurassic Park, Far and Away, HP:SS)

In my impatience I noted that, in the comments section, the author of the French review likens the final climax of the score to Close Encounters, and wonders whether the "jostling ... serialism" and relationship between the Ark and Skull themes are deliberate comments (by Williams and/or Spielberg) on the "extra-terrestrial" nature of God, or whatever superpower guards the world.

In my impatience I noted that, in the comments section, the author of the French review likens the final climax of the score to Close Encounters, and wonders whether the "jostling ... serialism" and relationship between the Ark and Skull themes are deliberate comments on the "extra-terrestrial" nature of God, or whatever superpower guards the world.

Isn't this taking things a bit too far? You could interpret almost anything into a piece if you look--or listen--hard enough.

That might just be coincidence... can you actually HEAR these references?
Isn't this taking things a bit too far? You could interpret almost anything into a piece if you look--or listen--hard enough.

Do you seriously think that such clever musical relationships, from the pencil of John Williams, are mere coincidence? He isn't all about blatant leitmotif, you know.

In fact, even if such compositional decisions are indeed never deliberate, I'm pretty sure that they are made at least subconsciously, which still merits discussion.

Do you seriously think that such clever musical relationships, from the pencil of John Williams, are mere coincidence? He isn't all about blatant leitmotif, you know.

In fact, even if such compositional decisions are indeed never deliberate, I'm pretty sure that they are made at least subconsciously, which still merits discussion.

Who said never? :rolleyes:

I was just asking you questions. Can you hear these refereces? Isn't this taking things a bit too far? (I can't say, I haven't heard the entire score yet... have YOU?)

Don't get all flushed and sweaty!

Who said never? :rolleyes:

I was just asking you questions. Can you hear these refereces? Isn't this taking things a bit too far? (I can't say, I haven't heard the entire score yet... have YOU?)

This seems to be an increasingly common technique on this board: be as uncivil, pushy, and insulting as you like, and then if the other party protests in the slightest, insinuate in your most patronizing tone that he/she is obviously being too sensitive and too serious.

Honestly, sometimes some of you need to man up, admit your rudeness, and apologize.

By the way, Josh, Bowie's last sentence there is a rhetorical statement; no need to get your eye muscles all exercised.

Honestly, sometimes some of you need to man up, admit your rudeness, and apologize.

Haven't we all learned that before...

Ted

Who said never? :)

This seems to be an increasingly common technique on this board: be as uncivil, pushy, and insulting as you like, and then if the other party protests in the slightest, insinuate in your most patronizing tone that he/she is obviously being too sensitive and too serious.

By the way, Josh, Bowie's last sentence there is a rhetorical statement; no need to get your eye muscles all exercised.

Where, in speaking with Bowie, I ask you, was I uncivil, pushy, or insulting? If he feels insulted by the slightest sign of disagreement, he needs to get a thicker skin. Especially on this board.

And who are you, anyway? His spokesman?

Where, in speaking with Bowie, I ask you, was I uncivil, pushy, or insulting? If he feels insulted by the slightest sign of disagreement, he needs to get a thicker skin. Especially on this board.

I'm Alan, and I post at this message board, just as you do. It's funny to think there was a time when I thought you might be the new Harry Potter -- whose posts bubbled with a boundless, winsome enthusiasm for Williams's music, as yours do, at their best. The difference, I find now, is that rather than reaching habitually for the pettiest of insults, as is your tendency, he conducted himself with grace, agreeability, and humility. I hope in time, you will, too.

I'm Alan, and I post at this message board, just as you do. It's funny to think there was a time when I thought you might be the new Harry Potter -- whose posts bubbled with a boundless, winsome enthusiasm for Williams's music, as yours do, at their best. The difference, I find now, is that rather than reaching habitually for the pettiest of insults, as is your tendency, he conducted himself with grace, agreeability, and humility. I hope in time, you will, too.

Could you answer my question? :rolleyes:

Can someone lock this bullgarbage.

I'd hate for it to be locked on my account. Maybe Mr. Breathmask can ban me for a week. :rolleyes:

Just don't log on for a week, if you don't wanna join in the fun! :) Jeez...

I'd hate for it to be locked on my account. Maybe Mr. Breathmask can ban me for a week. :)

I cannot blame Josh500, since he has the intelligence of a small dog, but you Alan?

I'm very...very dissapointed.

I'd hate for it to be locked on my account. Maybe Mr. Breathmask can ban me for a week. :rolleyes:

I cannot blame Josh500, since he has the intelligence of a small dog, but you Alan?

I'm very...very dissapointed.

:) Very funny.

I'd hate for it to be locked on my account. Maybe Mr. Breathmask can ban me for a week. :)

Just don't log on for a week, if you don't wanna join in the fun!

I think this is one of your better ideas, given that our ideas of "fun" are fundamentally at odds with one another. That's the beauty of the online existence, I suppose; if it comes to it, you always have an easy retreat. Hopefully by the time I return, one of us will have grown up a little. But perhaps that will take longer than a week.

See ya,

Alan

Just don't log on for a week, if you don't wanna join in the fun!

I think this is one of your better ideas, given that our ideas of "fun" are fundamentally at odds with one another. That's the beauty of the online existence, I suppose; if it comes to it, you always have an easy retreat. Hopefully by the time I return, one of us will have grown up a little. But perhaps that will take longer than a week.

See ya,

Alan

Just take as long as you need, Alan...

This place goes through a cyclical immaturity, especially around summer time when little middle schoolers get home and hop on JW-Fan.

*Sob* I'm sorry Ted. I'm so so sorry *blub*

*Sniffle*

I'm sorry too, man.

Ted, trying to start a huge collective swing of emotion in this thread, a la the conclusion of The Naked Gun

sigh.....................

:)

Anyhoo has anyone been checking the CD sections in stores just in case someone puts the CD out early?

I mentioned I have an friend who works at Best Buy and I've been pestering him about it.

I'm wondering if the American iTunes will release it a week early. They have a habit of doing that.

Ted

It's probably going to arrive sometime between Thursday and Monday, if they even get any of the discs in that week.

Best Buy's soundtrack sections in all the stores around us sucks. I hardly see anything new as far as scores go.

I'm wondering if the American iTunes will release it a week early. They have a habit of doing that.

Ted

Or will it even be available on iTunes?

My roommate found the new Indiana Jones DVDs out for sale early on Friday, so sometimes these things fall through the cracks. We'll see.

Neil