The Best Scored Episodes of Television

BLUMENKOHL

1. Star Trek Voyager "Flesh and Blood, Pt.1 and 2" - David Bell

In a nutshell, brilliant....David Bell takes a theme he had developed for a few seasons, and delivers a kick-ass score around it.

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation "The Inner Light" - Jay Chattaway

One of the most tender and heart-wrenching TV series melodies ever!

3. Lost ""Through the Looking Glass" " - Michael Giacchino

This episode is so far the pinnacle of Lost music, though I have to say it was difficult picking it over the extraordinary "Greatest Hits" episode before it...

4. Star Trek "Balance of Terror" - Fred Steiner

What else is there to say but classic?

5. Star Trek Deep Space Nine "Call to Arms" - Jay Chattaway

A brooding suspense and action score for one of the best season finales in TV history...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek TNG Best of Both Worlds Part 1 & 2 - Ron Jones.

Agreed.

I like Jay Chattaway's Star Trek Voyager "Scorpion Parts I and II". I wish someone had the full score for it. Actually I think a member here did at one point if I'm not mistaken.

In no particular order:

Murray Gold, Doctor Who- The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

Guy Gross, Farscape- his best were probably Die Me, Dichotomy, Green Eyed Monster, Fractures, and the Into the Lion's Den 2 parter

Chrisophe Beck, Buffy- Suprise/Innocence, The Gift, and Once More, With Feeling

I could name many DS9 eps. And a lot of Lost, obviously.

All of the above - and may I add into the mix the Star Trek: DS9 episode "Badda-Bing, Badda Bang"? A fantastic piece of work......is any of that music available anywhere?

The Reluctant Stowaway and Island in the Sky from Lost in Space. Those are the episodes where you get to hear Williams music tracked for the rest of the series in their original context.

I always liked Shirley Dean's Animated Batman work.

You mean Shirley Walker? I'd have to agree. Consistently quality scores for what could've been given a very cheap musical treatment. Some favorites are "Joker's Favor," "The Man Who Killed Batman," "Feat of Clay," "Beware the Grey Ghost," and "Nothing to Fear." Particularly noteworthy from the Batman/Superman Adventures are the multi-parters "World's Finest" and "Apokolips...Now!", both which happen to have outstanding part one finales.

- The X-Files - Triangle, Mark Snow.

- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Verdun, Joel McNeely; also Barcelona, Rosenthal.

- Amazing Stories - The Mission, Williams.

- The second MacGyver TV movie too. (It's the same themes as in the later seasons I think.), Ken Harrison.

- Poirot episodes by Christopher Gunning.

-From ALIAS: "The Telling" and "All the Time in the World" (Michael Giacchino) - An amazing mix of techno and orchestral in parts of "The Telling", but already showing signs of his more mature style which he carries through the rest of the series. Some excellent, Herman-esque string writing. The latter episode completely ties up the series musically and thematically in an extremely satisfying and epic way. Couldn't have asked for it better.

-From Doctor Who: "The Parting of the Ways" and "Doomsday" (Murray Gold) - The two minutes of music when Rose takes the heart of the TARDIS and destroys the Daleks is some of the most impressively big music I've heard on TV. Though the episode only featured the synthesised version of the piece, Gold recorded it for orchestra on the album and it's amazing. "Doomsday" has the complete package - it's massive and epic but also reflective and heart-wrenching. The episode left me exhausted, from all the excitement and emotion, which was largely due to the music.

-From Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Hush", "Restless" and "The Gift" (Christophe Beck) Love the Elfman influence in "Hush"; "Restless" is stunning in its sound palette and the theme for "The Gift" is amazing; beautifully intertwined into the score until the final, brilliant scene of the sacrifice.

-From LOST: "Walkabout" (Michael Giacchino) - Oh man, that music when Locke walks for the first time on the island... It's incredible.

-From Star Trek: The Next Generation: "The Inner Light" - I think Blu summed it up!

- Amazing Stories - The Mission, Williams.

- The second MacGyver TV movie too. (It's the same themes as in the later seasons I think.), Ken Harrison.

- Poirot episodes by Christopher Gunning.

Seconded, though I also really like the scoring of many of MayGyver TV episodes.

I can't seem to recall that many off hand for some reason, but I remember liking "What You Leave Behind" from DS9, especially that lovely arrangement of "The Way You Look Tonight" mixed in with McCarthy's theme.

Another one I do remember is "Sightings" from JAG's first season...it had some neat percussion reminiscent of TLW. I also enjoyed a lot of the scores for Magnum P.I....yeah they're a little dated but they work, imho.

Seconded, though I also really like the scoring of many of MayGyver TV episodes.

That's what I mean too, but it's been too long since I've seen Ken Harrison scored MacGyver episodes. He's my favourite composer from the show though. The themes and music from the second TV movie are much the same as the ones in the episodes if I'm not mistaken. I'd just love to have that on CD.

-From Doctor Who: "The Parting of the Ways" and "Doomsday" (Murray Gold) - The two minutes of music when Rose takes the heart of the TARDIS and destroys the Daleks is some of the most impressively big music I've heard on TV. Though the episode only featured the synthesised version of the piece, Gold recorded it for orchestra on the album and it's amazing. "Doomsday" has the complete package - it's massive and epic but also reflective and heart-wrenching. The episode left me exhausted, from all the excitement and emotion, which was largely due to the music

"Doomsday" had such high quality scoring for television, I often wonder why film scores just aren't matching very well these days.

As a whole series, i think nothing can beat Amazing stories.

Which other TV series have featured music from the best composers (at their best epoch, not when they were young and starting in the bussiness)?

The Visitor - DS9 - Dennis Maccarthy

Walkabout - Lost - Michael Giaachino

Africa - Alex North