72 members have voted

1. 1.

• I do
    • I don't

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely a fan of American cinema who doesn't like Spielberg is similar to a fan of jazz who doesn't like the blues...

I have been a Spielberg fan ever since I saw Jaws on the big screen so many years ago. I do miss one thing from him (i.e., "Old Spielberg"): having his films shot in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. He used to be one of the masters in the use of widescreen. Those days are long over, at least until he makes the next Indiana Jones film...

having his films shot in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio

According to all of my paperwork, Minority Report will be a 'scope film.

Neil

Love most of his movies, although he slips from time to time... but who hasn't?

I hope and pray that Lucas let's his buddy Steven direct Episode 3. PLEEEASE! It would have so much potential!!!!!

At the very least, (in addition to the usual magic that he can add to a film with his style) the music would be treated respectfully. Of all his films, he only mistreated one of them (The Lost World). That's a better track record than Lucas, who butchers every one he gets his hands on... :baaa:

-Chris

At least if Spielberg directed Episode III, he would edit the film to the music, not the other way around...

Weird, his latest films are by no means poor, but other than AI he hasn't done a great one in a while.

You don't consider Saving Private Ryan a great film?? In many ways, surely it's classic Spielberg.

The story seems too weak and typically hollywood which is bad for a war film. However, it is brilliant at showing why war is bad and how it would have been to go through it.

Spielberg is "the very model of a modern major director", the kinda guy who shoots by instinct, although he never studied cinema, unlike Lucas.

I find his style and ideals very close to mine, which is why I like the films no one likes: Amistad, The Lost World, A.I., Color Purple, Sugarland Express . . . I even like 1941 8O even though Spielberg himself doesn't.

There are only two of his films I don't like: Close Encounters just bores the hell out of me and Saving Private Ryan. The film's only good thing is also its only bad thing: it's not directed by Spielberg the movie genius, it's directed by Spielberg the american citizen. ;)

In the future, after gradutating from Film School I hope I get to make the same kind of movies. I don't care about the success, I just want to make the same kind of movies. Here's hope. :|

-ROSS, who didn't want to make this a long post and failed :confused:

I like him a lot,but I think he should stick to adventure,fantasy or sci-fi films.I didn't like such of his films as Amistad or SPR for example.

K.M.

Spielberg has definetley changed over the years, even he says so. On the Close Encounters DVD, he talks about how he could never tell a story like that now, because he could never see himself leaving his family to follow some lights in the sky.

Spielberg's strength has always come from telling stories that audiences enjoy. As long as he can do that, I'll like him.

He is simply the best director going. He has a terrific track record with only a handful of duds. After all of his duds he usually returns to form.

He needs to return to form after his last film.

Joe, who thinks E.T. is his greatest film by far, with Jaws and Raiders second and third.

I hope and pray that Lucas let's his buddy Steven direct Episode 3. PLEEEASE! It would have so much potential!!!!!

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spielberg must direct, Spielberg must direct....

~Harry

He must not touch Star Wars Ep. III. Besides Harry George Lucas is going to direct it no matter how much you fantisize Spielberg doing it.

Spielberg has more important films to direct than a Star Wars film

I have yet to see a Spielberg film I didn't like, but I should mention I've never seen Amistad, Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Always, Sugarland Express, 1941, or Minority Report.

-Jason, who is probably the only one here for whom Hook is their favorite Spielberg film after the Indy trilogy.......

With on exception in the 90's(Jurassic Park) Spielberg's best films were in the 70's and 80's. And since 1984 only Jurassic Park is good enough to fit the rest of his early stuff. Schindler's List is the next best. But since 1984 he has made his 4 worst films. SPR had a great beginning and a great ending, except for the fake sentimentalism.

I must say that I agree with that, sort of. It seems at times like one of those Made-for-TV serial. But still, it was a very impressive film.

The other thing that has always bugged me is that it looks like it was a 10 frames per second or what?!?

I liked Amistad!!!!

Amistad is very good. But is it not a masterpiece. I've liked all of Spielberg's recent films, except he used to make a masterpiece more frequently in the past.

What is it with you people wanting Spielberg to direct a Star Wars film? :?:

I mean, Star Wars and Spielberg are TOTALLY different stuff. A Star Wars film stands out for being a Star Wars film. A Spielberg film stands out for being a Spielberg film. They cannot be mixed.

Sagas (Star Wars, Harry Potter) stand out for their characters and story. That's what directs them. Spielberg couldn't do anything with that. He needs freedom to feel close to his characters. He would be imposed a bunch of guys he might not feel close to in Ep. III and would fail. His style is not the Star Wars style. Plus, Ep. III would always be regarded as The Spielberg one then, and that wouldn't be good for the movie as a installment of the saga.

So there. Finally I said it. :mrgreen: I'm sorry but it really ticks me off when I see you guys pleading for him to direct a Star Wars / Harry Potter film. It would be like asking Alfred Hitchcock to direct one of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies. What could he do with that? :)

I am a Spielberg and a Star Wars fan. But I am also a Stephen King and a Harry Potter fan and don't want him to write the next Harry Potter book.

ROSS, feeling relieved

Spielberg for me is a no-no for SW

The next Speilberg-Lucas collaboration should be Indy 4

Hector - who wonders why the hell they haven't made Indy 4 already yet!

Spielberg for me is a no-no for SW

Thank you!

ROSS - who's interested in reading Harry Potter's reaction for no particular reason

How could anyone at least not appreciate Spielberg? He's hands down the most diverse director that's ever passed through Hollywood, in all the different style and types of films he has made (and continues to make). I love that he's made a film for almost every mood I could be in: from action to horror to comedy to romance and more.

And I agree (humbly) with everyone who has said Spielberg would be a bad (terrible) choice for Star Wars or Harry Potter. That kind of thinking made Hook, something Spielberg was terribly unsuited for, no matter what critics who think he is "the enternal man-child" and all that nonsense think.

Yes, which is why I want Spielberg and Lucas to co-direct, to keep Spielberg in line with what Star Wars needs and then his talent should make it work better than Lucas could.

He's cool.

I don't think it's a bad idea for him to be involved in Episode III. If only George would see it that way. After all, if what Ross says is true, then Return Of The Jedi could've been known as "The Spieberg One".

Director - wondering if Steven should've done Return Of The Jedi after all....

• 6 months later...

i dont understand the point of this poll... nor do i understand how anyone with the slightest understanding of film can vote incorrectly here... oh, well that would be why there are three votes so far which boggle the mind...

• 2 weeks later...
He should have done Star Wars EP1 and 2.

I stand by what I said all those months ago (scroll up to read)

-ROSS, off to bed

What is the point??

The other two movies have already been lame. What is the point of trying to do a good third prequel to complete an already lacking series.

Its like putting a sweet chocolate icing on a turd layered cake.

I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars Episode 3 directed by Spielberg, but I wouldn't mind seeing it directed by someone else. I think that if it was given to Steven, it would be a great movie because Spielberg just has a way of getting to the heart of a story. However, if it was directed by someone else, it could be just as good. I can go either way.

~Conor

Like Conor said, Speilberg has a way of getting the heart out of a story.

The plots of many of his films are quite silly if you think about it... but all are very good to masterpieces.

If he directed Episodes 1, 2, & 3, they likely woud have rivalled or eclipsed the original trilogy, instead of being just side-dishes to the original saga.

Hmmm... perhaps that is why Lucas wouldn't let him do it? :dance:

-Chris, Who likes and enjoys the prequels very much, but understands why many can have a problem with them in comparsion to the original Trilogy...

I think that the reason that Lucas does not let Spielberg direct a SW movie is:

1-The 2 are friends,and Lucas needs his own personnal turf,which is SW.

2-In the remote possibility a Spielberg directed SW film would flop,that would affect their friendship and work relationships in a very negative way.

3-Spielberg respects Lucas in a way he wouldn't want to direct SW and steal the show like Indy.

4-Lucas shows the SW movies to Spielberg anyhow too see how he can make them better,and Spielberg is partly responsible for the edits in TPM,as far as we know.

5- They already have Indiana Jones to work togheter.

K.M.