The Star-spangled banner Williams' version

jerrygollay

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great

My first purchased MP3 ever

I...woah,it's friggen amazing .It's almost like a spanking new Williams Olympic Theme .Totally different than his arrangement at the World Series last year.It's totally Williamised

The opening is similar to what he did in his recording of Burglar's Dream for the 2004 Olympic NBC Web Promo

EVERYONE GET THIS!!!!!

K.M.

Wow I missed this at first. Do you have to log in onto Classicsonline to buy the track?

(With all these logins you eventually can't keep track anymore of all the sites where you've registered.)

I'd never heard it on the Hal Leonard site,because I didn't bother with it. I didn't expect all those great Williams add-ons ,just something like he played at the world series, which was ok not nothing special.

to me this is totally new.

Why doesn't the Hal Leonard sell those MP3's de-Bleeped? It would make for a great playlist and Williams compilation. I prefer some of the A.I. music to what's in the movie

Goldsmith's is a straight, pure rendition ,like you would hear at the end of TV channels broadcast

now Williams made it sound like he composed it

K.M.

PS: the one on the Hal Leonard page doesn't sound as good

Yeah, he definitely put his own distinctive mark on it. I love it, especially the opening, and then after the first rendition of the melody when things really start to pick up.

now Williams made it sound like he composed it

If we put Chamber of secrets standards, you can erase the 'made it sound like he' :lol:

If this anthem recording was of unknown origin,I'd still be 100% sure it was arranged by Williams

This is a very clever and brilliant arrangement. I particularly like how JW had fun with the harmonization.

Trivia: the Hal Leonard recording was played (sans bleeps) during the pre-concert talk in Chicago last November.

An interesting arrangement to an anthem that I've never liked that much. I like it better than the Boston Red Sox version JW wrote from what I remember of that. Strangely, the only time I've liked the anthem is when I heard the Dixie Chicks sing it (or lip-sync it probably) at the 2003 Super Bowl. I'm not sure who wrote the arrangment but its a rare case where the change in harmonics completely transformed the song in a good way, not just in an interesting or experimental way. Its probably on youtube somewhere.

- Adam

The second time the melody comes round at 0.54, he put all these things in to make give it the Williams sound

Given this is an exisiting piece by another composer,this recording is a good study of Williams trademarks as you can isolate them .for example at 1.07 he made a new transition that is typical of Williams..what did he do there?

This one is the earlier Rose Bowl one. I don't have a recording of the World Series version but it seems like it was harmonically even more experimental and written for a smaller ensemble. At least that's how I remember it.

- Adam

This one is the earlier Rose Bowl one. I don't have a recording of the World Series version but it seems like it was harmonically even more experimental and written for a smaller ensemble. At least that's how I remember it.

- Adam

Yes, this one's from the Rose Parede thing. Though I remember reading some rumors that it was originally done for the Flesh Fair sequence in A.I.

Anyway, the World Series one is hardly any experimental... it only used a little more dissonance.

And it's indeed for a smaller ensemble: brass and percussion only.

- Adam

Yes, this one's from the Rose Parede thing. Though I remember reading some rumors that it was originally done for the Flesh Fair sequence in A.I.

Damn, it would have been cool to have a Williams conducted version, and in 2001-2.

So is this the version Williams arranged for the World Series or did he do a special one for the 2004 Rose Bowl?

As Miguel said the World Series one is only slightly dissonant. This new one has new portions written for it

Finally listened to it. Very cool and original. Every Williams fan needs this.

edit- my 700th post, kinda cool. I don't think I've ever lasted this long on one message board.

It's the structure and orchestration that is beautiful.

Williams could have easily put in one of his own themes in there using that opening and ending (like the unrecorded Japanese Fan theme!),and we would have had a great new original piece. I was almost expecting the B section of Olympic Fanfare to break out at the 0.30 mark.

Add me to the people that really don't like the anthem (really!), but this version wonderfully transforms it indeed. I don't think everything touches Williams is gold, plus I generally don't like his fanfares and the like, but this arrangement is really good. Ironically, it makes me reach for that recent jazz album double CD of early Williams arrangements ;)

I think "American Overture" is the best track on this CD. Well, either that or the always classic "Rhapsody in Blue." I heartily recommend the entire CD, not just a digital download of "Star-Spangled Banner."

Not bad, but Goldsmith's arrangement for Poltergeist is far superiour.

Stefan, are you sure that's Jerry arrangement?

Because in the Poltergeist CD, it reads the following:

The film opens with a traditional arrangement of the national anthem ...

In no place did I saw any arranging credit for Goldsmith. Also, that's some pretty bland arrangement...