The Temple of Doom does it stand up after 24 years?

JoeinAR

Recently I looked back at Revenge of the Sith after having my interest in the film sparked by its recent television appearance on Spike TV. Also around this time I was discussing the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and my friend said he really liked the last movie, and the first, but wasn’t thrilled with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. So I decided to look back at this movie and see how I’d react to it again. I must say it’s been quite a few years since I’d seen it, even though I bought the DVD I only watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, and had not watched the sequels.

I’ve got to say right off the bat, that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is one of the most beautifully shot Spielberg films (right up there with CE3K & SL). It helps that the locals are stunning but each frame is lush, vibrant, and alive. Douglas Slocumbe was dead on in this film. His use of shadows in the movie, making them the subjects on the screen harks back to old school filmmaking. It might be gimmicky, but it’s a gimmick that works

Like Raiders and late LC, and hopefully Kingdom, Indiana Jones opens with the Paramount Mountain. The undercurrent of music is ominous, oriental. The future Mrs. Spielberg comes on screen and belts out a very wonderfully sung version of Anything Goes by Cole Porter in Cantonese. She’s absolutely terrific in the number, and the John Williams arrangement of the song is…well its perfect. Over the first few minutes of the film we go from a simple nightclub act, to a moment of pure fantasy as the film momentarily turns into a Busby Berkeley musical with shimmering sequin lights. For a minute the film steps completely out of itself, and you know at that moment, this isn’t going to be what you might have expected. The as quickly as it departed into fantasy, it returns to reality.

The reality is that for the next several minutes Indiana Jones does James Bond before James Bond would have existed. A dapper Indiana Jones enters the nightclub, and meets his host, speaking to him in Chinese, and catching his off guard. Lao Che, his host remarks about it, and Indy says he only speaks it on special occasions. It seems a small off handed throwaway remark, but its not.

It becomes important much later in the film. The banter between characters is crisp, as the dialogue snaps back and forth.

What ensues afterwards is a chase that’s exciting, fraught with danger and suspense, but is also silly and slightly over the top. We’re introduced to Indy’s sidekick, little Short Round. Many people seem to have a problem with the sidekick but what is a hero without his sidekick?

Ok 35 minutes into the picture its clear this isn’t a retread of Raiders of the Lost Ark, not even close. The construction of the movie is different as is the direction.

Sure it’s the same main character, but nothing else is the same.

There are two major problems in the first 35 minutes. They are not impossible to overlook but they do stretch believability. One the whole poison/antidote sequence is exciting but ultimately brainless. When will the villain learn to shut up and not boast? Had he not said anything, given Indy the diamond for Nurihaci, Indy would have simply succumbed to the poison and died, and the diamond could have been recovered. Then there is the lets jump from a plane with an inflatable raft. It seems plausible, ehh, even Mythbusters couldn’t quite bust it, yet it still has a high OH COME ON factor.

Once Indiana arrives in India, the whole James Bond super spy escapist beginning is left behind as the picture goes dark. Did I say dark, I mean DARK.

I had forgotten just how dark the movie became. While some see it as a fault, I find that it’s daring. Spielberg is on record for apologizing for its darkness, but Lucas on the other hand seems to like it.

I think it goes without saying that I still think this film is excellent, though hardly perfect.

The acting is spot on. Harrison Ford is simply amazing. He really pushed himself for this role. He builds on Indiana Jones. He’s not just an adventurer, he’s a rouge, with a touch of villainy, yet late in the movie he shows unexpected compassion when he attempts to save the life of a man who is attempting to kill him. Perhaps Harrison’s single best moment is when he embraces Short Round and apologizes to him, it’s a touching poignant moment. Kate Capshaw is also quite good as the annoying, loud, shrill, yet very likable Willie Scott. She is blond, stereotyped, and yet she’s not as weak as she pretends. No she is not Marion Ravenwood, but selling her short would be a mistake too. Sure, she is often costume dressing, but this movie has many throw back moments to the time it depicts. Jonathan He Quan as Short Round is funny, touching, and so likable, he see’s Indy as a father figure. I’ve often imagined that Shorty moved back to Missouri with Willie, and that Indy always kept in touch. The chemistry between Quan and Ford is genuine, Spielberg wouldn’t have allowed any less.

All the supporting characters fill their roles adequately. I’m fascinated by the native actors in this film. The performances that Spielberg evokes from them is extraordinary especially the chief. There is a mystical quality about the man

Technically this film has few flaws. Other than some effects issues that are simply matters of the time, everything else is very good. Most are top notch.

The production design is stunning, and this is the closest Spielberg has ever come to a costume picture. It has an epic feel. The celebrated mine car chase sequence is still a marvel. And the action finale on the rope bridge is still intense.

Oh and remember that little throw away line, about Indy speaking Chinese at the beginning, its what saves Willie and Short Round on that bridge at the end.

John Williams score is perfect. While the album we have is wonderful, the complete score is the true Holy Grail of the film scores. It is a magical score, with the best Indy endtitles to date. I still maintain that the Slave Children is one of the top 10 tracks/themes that Williams has created.

Problems with the film are still numerous. There is so many over the top situations pushing credibility to the breaking point. The darkness and the gore are bound to be turn offs with the film. Its easy to see why PG-13 was created, but lets face it, Temple of Doom should have been rated R, for extreme violence and gore. The dinner sequence is a train wreck. People either watch it unbelieving what they are seeing, while others just turn their heads and wait for it to be over. For me the worst was the creepy crawlies, the bugs, all these years later and I still wonder what the hell were those things, and thanking God they are not in America. Sometimes the comedy elements of the picture are forced or unnecessary (the gun/whip homage to Raiders for one). You almost can’t help groan when Indy yells at Shorty to quit playing with that kid.

Still in the end, the movie is the most emotional of the three Indiana Jones films to this point. How could any human not relate to the joy expressed upon the return of the children to their village? The music blares heroically, manipulating our emotions, which is exactly its purpose. It ends on a high note.

I am sorry if I can’t be hard on this film despite its flaws. I liked it so much back in 1984, and still rank it as a damned fine film. I wondered if by viewing it now, jaded as I am if I might be overly critical of Temple of Doom, but I cannot.

For me it’s as simple as this.

“Now you see the magic of the rock you bring back to us.”

Yes, I understand its power.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the film a couple of months ago, and I think it holds up great. My least favorite element is probably the dark magic ones, when Indy turns Thuggee. But I love the pace of it, the one-damn-thing-after-another feel of it. No matter how obvious it might be, 'Water! Water!' still cracks me up every time. And even with that pace, it also slows down for perfectly executed bits of comedy. The look of the jungle-camping scene is inspired, with Willie running in the background.

I think that the thing that I appreciate most about the film, is the true sense of 'We're not in Kansas any more'. It truely feels like Indy is in another realm, an entirely different kind of danger than the other two film. The mystecism works, IMO.

The film is ingrained in my childhood (The heart scene is a scene that I was always forced to cover my eyes for), and it still works today. More episodic than Raiders, but I feel a giddiness from the filmmakers and from Ford.

Some elements of it really are over the top and pushing believability, but the opening act kinda gives you the right mind set in which to watch this movie: anything goes!

But I have to say, Joe, I agree pretty much with all your remarks about the movie, that was a most interesting read. But I do love the gross and bug scenes :o

I love the gross out too, and the bugs, just glad they are bugs not found here.

I just saw this again myself. It's the first Indiana Jones movie I really experienced, so that aspect may be involved, but for me this is on a par with the first film. The lighting and shooting indeed is unbelievable. I like this the most of all the Spielberg films I think, it's his black-and-white film so to speak (what reviewer said that again, Ebert?).

Once again... Bravo Joey! ;)

I thought this film was DARK enough before I got hold of the uncut DVD. When it airs over here on TV (mainly on the BBC) there are just far too many cuts (amongst things), on top of the ones already made by the :o BBFC :) , and they are amateurish cuts at best. To be honest... I very rarely watch TV at all these days and haven't watched a broadcast film for years. I own my favourite films, and what I consider to be worth while on DVD (some on Blu-ray) uncut and with no horrible PAL speedup to boot. That dreaded 50hz flaw drives me nuts, well that's what you get for having absolute pitch.

I've loved TOD ever since first seeing it theatrically back in 1984. Nothing has changed. I still consider it to be the best of the initial trilogy. KOTCS won't be changing a single thing, nostalgia has already seen to that.

Great post, Joe.

Regarding plausibility, I'm not hearing any of the arguments. A film like this, and even cinema in general, is not about plausibility. It's a fantasy through and through. The only thing that matters in terms of plausibility is if a film stays consistent with its own rules of plausibility.

That said, there are elements about this film that definitely bring it down, and Joe hits most of them: Weak supporting characters (Willie, Shortie). That and the film just seems to be on overdrive. But this isn't really a flaw, in my view. What I love about the film, as I explained to Joe the other day, is that it's essentially "Indy Unhinged" -- it's like one big ballet of movement and sound without the burden of logic. It's pure sensation.

Ted

To be fair, Last Crusade's lack of energy at least works in the context of the trilogy. It's what would naturally follow a ridiculously energetic film like Temple of Doom.

Great post, Joe.

Regarding plausibility, I'm not hearing any of the arguments. A film like this, and even cinema in general, is not about plausibility. It's a fantasy through and through. The only thing that matters in terms of plausibility is if a film stays consistent with its own rules of plausibility.

That said, there are elements about this film that definitely bring it down, and Joe hits most of them: Weak supporting characters (Willie, Shortie). That and the film just seems to be on overdrive. But this isn't really a flaw, in my view. What I love about the film, as I explained to Joe the other day, is that it's essentially "Indy Unhinged" -- it's like one big ballet of movement and sound without the burden of logic. It's pure sensation.

Ted

"Pure sensation." "Big ballet of movement and sound without the burden of logic." Sounds like the typical summer blockbuster. What separates this film from the pack?

It's probably as good as the other two Indy movies, but it's probably my least favorite of the three. It is a good roller coaster ride though, with a great score. As for the plausibility thing - for me Indiana Jones has always been about suspension of disbelief, and that's partly why I enjoy them so much. When a film does that successfully, realism shouldn't even be an issue, and with Indy, it certainly isn't.

Great post, Joe.

Ted

see Ted, I dont think Willie and Shorty are weak supporting characters, I think they are characters that people either like or don't. Willie's biggest problem is she's not Marian. However she fits perfectly in context to the time period and films of that time. Lets face it she's a smart dame, with a brassy mouth, but lets face it she's screams more than Marion because she's subjected to far more terror's than Marion. Marion didn't have to deal with flaming squabs, jumping out of a crashing plane a vampire bat, snake surprise, bugs on a silver platter, eyeball soup, chilled monkey brains, dead bodies, bugs, hearts being ripped out, lava pit, and a falling rope bridge. Short Round is sometime annoying, sometimes cute, but always genuine.

I love how Spielberg plays to Jaws in the way Shorty mimics Indy at the Indian villiage, and later with the shooting star sequence

To me this movie is an almagamation of The Mummy, Gunga Din, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the River Kwai, and any number of early 60's horror films, yet it has a feel like nothing before or since.

They are not impossible to overlook but they do stretch believability.

The mine car landing back on the track after flying off does stretch it too far, its just too ludicrous to believe. I wish they'd have left it out, the rest of the sequence is exciting enough without it. I don't have a problem with anything else in the film though.

One the whole poison/antidote sequence is exciting but ultimately brainless. When will the villain learn to shut up and not boast? Had he not said anything, given Indy the diamond for Nurihaci, Indy would have simply succumbed to the poison and died, and the diamond could have been recovered.

Lao Che brought the antidote with him as a bargaining chip if Indy even fell for the poison drink, which of course he did. He probably didn't expect Indy to hand the diamond back so quick. Indy should have asked for the antidote before giving the diamond back. Despite Laos remarks we don't know how quickly the poison works, so its possible Indy could have done something rash in the time it took for the poison to work. It was stupid for Lao to boast, but really that's no different from all other movie villains. I'm not saying its the most airtight plot point, but I wouldn't call it brainless.

Then there is the lets jump from a plane with an inflatable raft. It seems plausible, ehh, even Mythbusters couldn’t quite bust it, yet it still has a high OH COME ON factor.

People have fallen from skyscrapers and lived, not to mention the Mythbusters thing, so I don't have a problem with this either. It's not even clear how far they fell, could have just been a couple hundred feet.

Overall though, I agree with your assessment of the film. I did just watch this again myself (coupled with Raiders) last weekend. I plan on watching Last Crusade too some time before the new one comes out.

While the album we have is wonderful

If TOD has a flaw, its having a damn short OST.

I am sorry if I can’t be hard on this film despite its flaws. I liked it so much back in 1984, and still rank it as a damned fine film. I wondered if by viewing it now, jaded as I am if I might be overly critical of Temple of Doom, but I cannot.

That ruined a little the reliability of your opinion on the movie....

Taken together, I actually find Willie and Short Round more annoying than Jar Jar Binks. I wonder if one of the reasons Jar Jar is so detested is that not only does he annoy, but also in his CG composition, he exemplifies the worst excesses of Lucas' filmmaking.

Great post, Joe.

Ted

"Pure sensation." "Big ballet of movement and sound without the burden of logic." Sounds like the typical summer blockbuster. What separates this film from the pack?

This is probably a cop-out, but, in short, the movie actually does that stuff well. It essentially took the visual flair of Raiders -- i.e. great photography, lighting, composition, music, etc. -- and churned them through an action machine that doesn't let up. Despite the amazing amount of action, the film still has clarity. It's not cut frenetically, it maintains a consistent visual style, and so it has real impact and rhythm. In other words, rather than being an assault of movement and sound, a la Michael Bay, the film is a ballet of them

Ted

While the album we have is wonderful

If TOD has a flaw, its having a damn short OST.

How Luke, by being honest with everyone, if anything I think people can relate a bit more.

Ted I understood what you meant, to me this is SS most kinetic movie, and even more kinetic that a Transformers, though in a very different way.

[quote name='Joey' post='424229' date='Apr 17

How Luke, by being honest with everyone, if anything I think people can relate a bit more.

You beat to pulp things that you dont like, and cannot critisize things you love.

That's the definition of biased.

This is probably a cop-out, but, in short, the movie actually does that stuff well. It essentially took the visual flair of Raiders -- i.e. great photography, lighting, composition, music, etc. -- and churned them through an action machine that doesn't let up. Despite the amazing amount of action, the film still has clarity. It's not cut frenetically, it maintains a consistent visual style, and so it has real impact and rhythm. In other words, rather than being an assault of movement and sound, a la Michael Bay, the film is a ballet of them

Ted

That's interesting. In recent years frenetic cutting has become shorthand for incoherent rubbish for the attention-deficient MTV generation -- what you get from your Bruckheimers, your Woos. But you take that hyperkinetic freneticism, throw in some off-kilter camera work, and put it in the hands of an able filmmaker like Paul Greengrass, and suddenly it doesn't seem so enervating -- it's as artful and bracing as the old school stuff, albeit in a different way. The absence of visual clarity is intentional and purposeful. (That said, I know there are those who hate the visual style of the later Bourne films and find them unwatchable.)

(That said, I know there are those who hate the visual style of the later Bourne films and find them unwatchable.)

I don't write off this now trendy aesthetic on principle, but I'm not a huge fan of it in the Bourne films.

Ted

I still have a tough time deciding if I like ToD or LC better, it really depends on mood. Both are worthy though neither approaches Raiders' level of greatness.

That is a stupid idea.

How is it a stupid idea? Mola Ram (the main villain) doesn't appear until a full hour into the movie. It would have added so much to the story to see him sitting at the banquet debating with Indy about the village stories and by the end of the movie have them both hanging off of the rope bridge fighting to the death. The look Chattar Lal gives the maharajah would be so much better coming from Mola, the man in charge, instead of somebody under the black sleep.

I agree with Joe's assessment of the film.

As I've said, TOD was one of the few movie going experiences where the whole audience was into the film from start to finish.

Joe is correct, the film is beautifully shot. I've always felt TOD was to Raiders what TESB was to Star Wars. While nothing can top the original both sequels take the characters and story lines in a completely different arc. Both films are dark and a bit more serious. The villiams are truly evil and much more menacing. I found the dinner scene to be hilarious and somewhat gross at the same time.

Williams' score is close to a masterpiece and I imagine if/when the complete score is released and we can hear all of the music it could be moved in with his truly great ones.

The only gripe I have is the bridge sequence, the chasm the bridge goes over is not as deep as they make it seem. The far away shots show that it's nowhere near as deep as the above view shots make it seem.

That is a stupid idea.

How is it a stupid idea? Mola Ram (the main villain) doesn't appear until a full hour into the movie. It would have added so much to the story to see him sitting at the banquet debating with Indy about the village stories and by the end of the movie have them both hanging off of the rope bridge fighting to the death. The look Chattar Lal gives the maharajah would be so much better coming from Mola, the man in charge, instead of somebody under the black sleep.

I agree. In fact, for the longest time, I was under the impression that they were the same character. Then I realized that wasn't the case.

fsb

The first twenty minutes of Temple of Doom are... stupendous. There may be some logical flaws in Lao Che's treacherous plan, but wow. Wow. Such a fun sequence.

The shot of Indy closing the plane door and syaing "Nice Try, Lao Che" just to reveal the airline name is just fantastic.

In other words, rather than being an assault of movement and sound, a la Michael Bay, the film is a ballet of them

Ted

This is a very sharp observation, Ted

The shot of Indy closing the plane door and syaing "Nice Try, Lao Che" just to reveal the airline name is just fantastic.

It's sentimental, playing on our growing affection for Indy, but not mushy, like the opening of Last Crusade.

I submit that the cut to Indy at the beginning of the March of the Slave Children is the best shot of the movie.

The first twenty minutes of Temple of Doom are... stupendous. There may be some logical flaws in Lao Che's treacherous plan, but wow. Wow. Such a fun sequence.

That sequence is great score wise too. Other than a small gap in between the end of Anything Goes and the start of Deal for the Diamond the music is non-stop all the way up to the arrival at the village, and every single note of it is just pure magic.

come to think of it, ToD is the only Indy film so far which climaxes with an action sequence. (no, I don't count dodging a buzz saw, spelling Jehovah the hebrew way and walking on an invisible floor 'action' per se)

There are two major problems in the first 35 minutes. They are not impossible to overlook but they do stretch believability. One the whole poison/antidote sequence is exciting but ultimately brainless. When will the villain learn to shut up and not boast? Had he not said anything, given Indy the diamond for Nurihaci, Indy would have simply succumbed to the poison and died, and the diamond could have been recovered. Then there is the lets jump from a plane with an inflatable raft. It seems plausible, ehh, even Mythbusters couldn’t quite bust it, yet it still has a high OH COME ON factor.

But it's Indiana Jones, it has to be corny! These unbeliavable stunts and minor plot holes are what makes it such a fantastic film.

The acting is spot on. Harrison Ford is simply amazing. He really pushed himself for this role. He builds on Indiana Jones. He’s not just an adventurer, he’s a rouge, with a touch of villainy, yet late in the movie he shows unexpected compassion when he attempts to save the life of a man who is attempting to kill him.

You do know Ford was in the hospital when the conveyor belt scene was shot?

Problems with the film are still numerous. There is so many over the top situations pushing credibility to the breaking point. The darkness and the gore are bound to be turn offs with the film. Its easy to see why PG-13 was created, but lets face it, Temple of Doom should have been rated R, for extreme violence and gore. The dinner sequence is a train wreck. People either watch it unbelieving what they are seeing, while others just turn their heads and wait for it to be over. For me the worst was the creepy crawlies, the bugs, all these years later and I still wonder what the hell were those things, and thanking God they are not in America. Sometimes the comedy elements of the picture are forced or unnecessary (the gun/whip homage to Raiders for one). You almost can’t help groan when Indy yells at Shorty to quit playing with that kid.

That's what makes Indiana Jones Indiana Jones.

Other than that, I agree.

it just goes over your head indy4 that I have no problem with the faults of the film. You take them as criticism, I am just pointing them out.

And Luke you point out that the CD/album is short, but it doesn't change the fact that what is on the album is simply fantastic stuff. It is completely listenable over and over.

I would stretch that to the opening 40 or 50 minutes. The scenes in the Indiana village and the jungle expedition are great stuff.

Ted

Agreed, as short as the album is it's still a great listen all the way thru.

Side B of the LP got the most playing time when I was younger.

The Temple of Doom does it stand up after 24 years?

Good post, Joey. Overall the movie doesn't have the same kind of effect on me now that it had on me in 1984 when I was a Boy. But it's still a great adventure movie. That it is almost completely different from Raiders, is why it stands out. As you say, the main character is the same but has been lifted out of one scenario and stuck in an entirely different one with different kinds of sidekicks & characters. Lucas & Spielberg were brave to do so. I just wish they'd left in Short Round's Nude scene. ;)

I also recently watched Temple of Doom again - but it was my first time seeing the uncut version all the way through.

I'll have to watch it again and in context with the others as I'm not as familiar with them as you all are, but I must say it's quite a mixed bag. Some parts are borderline goofy/lame (e.g. Short Round taking on 5-10 Thuggees by himself). Others are absolutely horrifying. But most of it is quite a thrilling adventure.

Short Round's character works really well I think. The only problem I have with him is the aforementioned part near the end where he singlehandedly takes on half a dozen or so Thuggees knocking a bunch over like dominoes. But it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. I noticed this time around that he dropped-kicked at least two of them in the crotch. That would bring'em to their knees. ROTFLMAO

The part after that is great though, where Shortie drops under the guy chasing him and then uses him to climb into the mine cart just before Indy swings in. What an awesome escape.

One small thing I noticed, the ceiling light/lamp Indy swings on in the new trailer is exactly the same as one he uses in Doom. Neat.

I submit that the cut to Indy at the beginning of the March of the Slave Children is the best shot of the movie.

Indeed.

"Let's get out of here."

"Right. All of us."

Absolutely!. That shadowy shot, with the music is awesome.

And Luke you point out that the CD/album is short, but it doesn't change the fact that what is on the album is simply fantastic stuff. It is completely listenable over and over.

True, but it also doesnt change the fact that there is a lot of good stuff left off it which would have made it even better. ;)

True, but it also doesnt change the fact that there is a lot of good stuff left off it which would have made it even better. ;)

perhap, but in this case whether the glass is half full or half empty, whats inside is delicious.

I don't expect a complete TOD soundtrack, but then I never expected such a glorious release of the Towering Inferno back in 2001, so.... I won't rule it out.

Joe - great review....I privately disagreed with you over ROTS (we're all entitled to opinions ;) ) , but you're on the money here....