Have you ever had to rebuy CD's?

Trent B

So how many here have had to rebuy CD's because they were either lost, stolen, broken or what?

For me I had close to 30 CD's when I was living in Vegas they ranged from Star Trek to Star Wars and other various scores. Unfortunately when I was younger I didn't know how to take of CD's really well and I think too I didn't honestly care at the time. So over time they all got scratched to hell or ended up being broken before I moved. I am having to rebuy all the ones I had and I've boughten most of them again. I still have a few that I still need to get and I to got a ton of new ones that I plan on buying as well.

I figured this would be a good topic break from Indy or whatever...but anyways so what say you on this subject? Wouldn't mind hearing your stories.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been so careful with mine that I haven't had to repurchase any due to wear. What I have had happen is this, and I'm sure there's plenty out there who will agree: I've sold cds on ebay, only to later on realise that I'd like to hear it, and then went and repurchased it. There's music that sometimes just doesn't hit you right away, or maybe the timing wasn't right during that particular part of one's life.

Ya these days I do that too. I'm taking care of my CD's now. When I buy it, they get ripped onto my hard drive then back into their cases they go and not get touched again unless I have to rerip them for some reason.

I've never had to rebuy because a CD was damaged, from day one I've always handled them with care. The first CD I ever bought was the Utah Symphony recording of Star Wars. Every now and then I give it a spin, it always plays fine. Its funny, at the time I bought it (in 1992) I had all of the Star Wars OSTs on cassette and LP so I bought that rerecording so I could have some Star Wars music on CD without having to buy all the OSTs again, young fool that I was.

About eight years ago I lost my Peter Gabriel "Shaking the Golden Tree" CD and had to rebuy it. To this day I don't know whatever happened to the original.

Yeah,a few early ones. I rebought some of those old Varese club ones(Jaws 2...) before they went sold out because the first copies got scratched

Never had to buy a replacement.

I make it easy on myself. No one is allowed to touch my film score CDs but me, period. I am as anal about them as you could imagine.

I'm dead serious.

I had to buy Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert 3 different times, both replacements were due to lost CDs. And each time it was worth every penny and if I lost it again I wouldn't hesitate to buy it a 4th time. The best display of pure improvisation in recorded music history if you ask me.

Overall I treat my Cds well, and always have.

But I've done something to my Empire of the Sun CD it seems. ROTFLMAO

The last track on the CD tends to skip and stick. ROTFLMAO

I may one day get around to replacing it. It tends to be sold quite cheaply, that CD. ROTFLMAO

Only once: my first copy of the ANH SE was the one with the discs in the booklet, and they ended up getting so scratched from taking them in and out of that I had to buy another copy with the jewel case.

I had to rebuy King Kong when I accidently left the cd in my old car after I traded it in.

I had to rebuy King Kong when I accidently left the cd in my old car after I traded it in.

I bet you were pretty upset with yourself when you realized you did that.

I guess it's pretty much known here that I got a lot of promo CD's when I was little, well my brother more so than I. He had about a thousand or so nicely organized into a booklet, including the front booklets.

We visited our relatives in Turkey a few years back, and he left the CD booklet on the plane when we stopped over in Switzerland.

I can barely remember any of them that were in there, but I'm sure a lot of them have been re-bought by now, at least the good ones. Every now and then I'll find a jewel case with just the back insert. Face/Off, The Rock, GoldenEye, and Tomorrow Never Dies are the only scores I remember. I know he had Snake Eyes, but I'm actually glad that one got lost ROTFLMAO

I bet you were pretty upset with yourself when you realized you did that.

yes, but I went right out and bought it and it was the first cd I played in my car.

I will have to buy a new Star Trek: Nemesis SACD because the center ring got chipped somehow; there may have been a slight crack I had not noticed, which expanded upon use.

I won't play it now, for fear it might break into thousands of pieces into the player. I still have the regular CD and the, uh, unofficial, expanded release, too.

That's the only problem I have ever had with my CDs.

This reminds me that I still need to make backup copies of my Walt Disney Treasures DVDs, starting with the Silly Symphonies: after a few months, I noticed a slight crack in the center ring, probably caused by the tight holding hubs.

:\

I started buying John Williams soundtrack when I was twelve or so (with Schindler's List), and didn't really take good care of them. I rebought close to a dozen CDs in the past six years or so (I'm 26 now).

Among them: Star Wars Episode I, Jurassic Park, E.T., Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, etc. :P

I had to rebuy JW's Greatest Hits 1969-1999, because my girlfriend's father, to whom I lent it, lost it. :rolleyes: But, luckily enough, that was the only case. Otherwise, I bought several CDs twice simply because they're so great, several examples are Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory and JW's Star Wars - A New Hope. :P

Otherwise, I bought several CDs twice simply because they're so great, several examples are Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory and JW's Star Wars - A New Hope. :rolleyes:

I've found myself buying duplicates of scores that I know are kind of scratched recently. I used to store my CDs in one of those big sleeve zip-up cases (my dad called it a "suitcase"), thinking I was treating them with the utmost care, but I realized over time that it was scuffing up my precious CDs. So now I keep them in their jewel cases, and buy up any JW scores I come across that I'd like to have a better copy of.

I was at a used CD place in Miami last weekend, and had to force myself to only buy one of the two copies of The Missouri Breaks that they had (only $5 each!). It's crazy what a man will do when he's obsessed.

I've found myself buying duplicates of scores that I know are kind of scratched recently. I used to store my CDs in one of those big sleeve zip-up cases (my dad called it a "suitcase"), thinking I was treating them with the utmost care, but I realized over time that it was scuffing up my precious CDs. So now I keep them in their jewel cases, and buy up any JW scores I come across that I'd like to have a better copy of.

I was at a used CD place in Miami last weekend, and had to force myself to only buy one of the two copies of The Missouri Breaks that they had (only $5 each!). It's crazy what a man will do when he's obsessed.

Ya generally any type of those cases will scratch up CD's over time. I had one for a while too but I quit using it once I realized it was scratching up my CD's. Grant they were copies of the CD's but still...it sucked at the time because I had to keep reburning the same thing.

It was really annoying, because to the best of my knowledge I was taking good care of them. My basis of comparison was friends who had their discs sliding around in the floor of their cars or stacked face-down on top of their dressers... I was so anal about keeping them protected, sliding them in their slots very carefully, right-side up, in alphabetical order...

I've only ever lost two CD's.

One was my Basic Instinct CD...which I replaced.

The other was Star Trek: Voyager "Scorpion Pts. 1 + 2" which is irreplacable.

I still go through the closet every now and then in the hopes it ended up somewhere in there during the move. Though seeings it's been almost 9 or 10 years....

Otherwise, I bought several CDs twice simply because they're so great, several examples are Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory and JW's Star Wars - A New Hope. ^_^

Wanted to say something? :(

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

For about a year it was the only CD I owned, and I probably listened to it every day. Until Chamber of Secrets came out. Still, after four years of continuous play on various appliances the CD was completely worn out, so I had to replace it!

I lost a whole bunch of discs in a box once. never replaced them, I think somehow that box will find its way back to me.

But I did have to buy the rental Anchorman DVD, because it got stuck in my player. I had to buy a film I have only seen half of.

Yes they can Drax. After many plays of a CD it can wear out over time.

Hm, then I'd have to rebuy quite some CDs that I've listened to a zillion times already (with e. g. the one in my avatar being a perfect example), but luckily, they still work ... :lol: Or are you kidding? :)

I had a copy of Styx' greatest hits on CD, and it just broke one day. The center spindle hole cracked to the outer perimeter, which didn't even relegate it to Frisbee status. So I had to re-buy it.

But yea, the first thing I do when I buy a new CD is rip it to computer so I've got the MP3 to listen to wherever I want. Then as long as my hard drive doesn't physically die, I've got a digital copy to listen to wherever I want, and the CD can sit in its jewel case and slowly decay at whatever the half life of plastic is.

Maybe when they start making 1 TB iPods I'll buy one...

I will have to buy a new Star Trek: Nemesis SACD because the center ring got chipped somehow; there may have been a slight crack I had not noticed, which expanded upon use.

I won't play it now, for fear it might break into thousands of pieces into the player. I still have the regular CD and the, uh, unofficial, expanded release, too.

That's the only problem I have ever had with my CDs.

This reminds me that I still need to make backup copies of my Walt Disney Treasures DVDs, starting with the Silly Symphonies: after a few months, I noticed a slight crack in the center ring, probably caused by the tight holding hubs.

:\

Wow, are cracks there bad? I remember I saw two or three slight tears at the center ring amongst my CDs (but they don't reach the middle hole). I don't know which CDs though. :thumbup:

I lost a whole bunch of discs in a box once. never replaced them, I think somehow that box will find its way back to me.

But I did have to buy the rental Anchorman DVD, because it got stuck in my player. I had to buy a film I have only seen half of.

Same thing happened to me. Only it was Kingpin. Must only happen to comedies.

Back in VHS days, my future wife's vcr consumed my Amadeus. :o