Philip Glass documentary

diskobolus

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Herrmann do minimalism before Glass anyway?

I don't think so. Glass is at his best when he does mechanical arpeggios. His weakness shows when he tries to compose in the 'traditional' manner.

I had a chance to see this film at the Philadelphia Film Festival, but I opted to see Ana Katz's A Stray Girlfriend instead. I'll have to check this one out when it's released on DVD.

Ted

Koyaanisqatsi

Powaqqatsi

Akhnaten

Itaipu

The Canyon

Most overrated? Nah.

Satyagraha

Naqoyqatsi

The Voyage

Symphony No.2

Symphony No.3

Symphony No.5

Symphony No.7

Symphony No.8

Concerto for Cello & Orchestra

Concerto Fantasy for Double Tympani and Orchestra

Concerto for Harpsichord and Orchestra

Tirol Concerto for Piano and Orchestra

Piano Concerto No.2 - After Lewis and Clark

etc.

Again, nah.

Disclaimer - my avatar indicates my bias on this matter.

Phillip Glass is hit-and-miss IMO. There's some of his stuff that I absolutely love, and yet others that just repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and OVER!

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

Philip Glass.

I think I'll take his advice and listen to someone else's music.

I've seen this at my DVD store for a while, looked rather boring. But the trailer got me very interested. Must pick it up.

like him or hate him, at least Glass sounds like himself. most people would say that Steve Reich is a more pivotal figure in minimalism but I do think Glass is right up there. Adams is sort of 2nd generation minimalism.

I think his sound works very well in film. Minimalism is very effective in film...it can get very loud and melodramatic, but because it's not playing a big theme, it feel less intrusive than it might otherwise seem. Notes on A Scandal was made much better because of Glass (I also find it to be one of his more listenable albums).

A few years ago I was very lucky to see Philip Glass with his ensemble perform the score to Koyaanisqatsi, live to picture. I was sat in the middle of the very back row in the top tier and it was a wonderful spectacle; there is no doubt that at its best his music has a very hypnotic, almost mathematical quality to it (ably demonstrated by that Sesame Street clip).

I think his sound works very well in film.

It sounds like garbage, cause it all sounds the same. That's why I avoid seeing films composed by him. It's endless droning with no structure or build-up. He's worse than Gustavo, at least some of his music is somewhat listenable. Philip Glass just gives me a serious headache, and makes a 4 minute piece sound like 20.

All I know is, Kundun, The Hours, Notes on A Scandal and The Illusionist all benefited from their score. So did The Truman Show. The tracking in of his work worked extremely well, and Burkhard Dallwitz's score filled in the spaces nicely.