Neo-TINTIN and the lost City

tintin.gif

Who likes the adventures of Tintin?. LOL. To me, those kind of stories were the ancestors of Indian Jones etc. When in Nepal a month or so ago i came across all the comic stories with titles like "Tintin in Tibet, Tintin and the golden lotus, Tintin and the curse of Pharoahs etc etc. Sort of thing which inspired my father to get out and see the world. Great stuff. I'd love to see a series of animated big screen movies (i know they've done some small screen episodes before) of Tintin and the adventures. John williams scores would be great. Although someone would have to make Tintin a little bit more of a badass than he is in the comics and occasionally end up in brothels on his china adventures as well as snorting a few lines or two of coke in south america for any cool factor to be in him, as he's just too damn squeaky clean and friendly and kids would'nt relate to him nowadays and would probably find him a bit of a geek if he was like the old comic one. Snowy would have to be replaced by a jet black rabid pitbull terrier with a spiked collar who chews off the hands of enemies and The captain would have to be an vietnam veteran who is like the Chef character in Apocalypse Now. Little bit loopy and yet fun.

What do you think?...grounds for some neo-tintin movies?? :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who likes the adventures of Tintin?.

Me! Me! I do! I DO!! :P

LOL.  To me, those kind of stories were the ancestors of Indian Jones etc. When in Nepal a month or so ago i came across all the comic stories with titles like "Tintin in Tibet, Tintin and the golden lotus, Tintin and the curse of Pharoahs etc etc.

I always thought they were highly cinematic comics. There's a whole John Huston quality in every drawing, even scene-settlers. Great material. Very easy to make into a great movie.

Great stuff. I'd love to see a series of animated big screen movies  (i know they've done some small screen episodes before) of Tintin and the adventures.

Actually the French animated TV show was excellent. It had the whole spirit of the comics and were very respectful to the originals. I would only hope for the same crew to make a longer animated version. If made today, it should be like Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Only a little bit more European. Nothing more nothing less. By the way I have most of the episodes on tape.

John williams scores would be great.

I'm not so sure. It would need much lighter orchestrations, as minimalistic as the background design or the character's design. I think this score can be a great opportunity for other people.

Although someone would have to make Tintin a little bit more of a badass than he is in the comics and occasionally end up in brothels on his china adventures as well as snorting a few lines or two  of coke in south america for any cool factor to be in him, as he's just too damn squeaky clean and friendly and kids would'nt relate to him nowadays and would probably find him a bit of a geek if he was like the old comic one.

That's why a movie should not be made now. :) Let's face it. Tintin is not made for these modern times. Tintin belongs to the 20's. It would be like making a 21st century version of Jeeves!! 8O

Snowy would have to be replaced by a jet black rabid pitbull terrier with a spiked collar who chews off the hands of enemies and The captain would have to be an vietnam veteran who is like the Chef character in Apocalypse Now. Little bit loopy and yet fun.

Please say you don't mean that. By the way I hope you mean Milou, the dog's actual name. :) Although captain Haddock MUST be British instead of French. That should be waaaay funnier. Imagine him changing those weird words into Shakespearian insults. :)

What do you think?...grounds for some neo-tintin movies??  :P

No. Leave Tintin alone. If he is not to be respected, he is not to be disturbed.

-ROSS, who used to be a big Tintin fan. And who WOULD like to see a Jeeves movie made. With Stephen Fry of course, sir!

I own every Tintin album and I've been a fan of the character since I was a little boy. The french animated series was great. I twas like watching the book in movement. The exact same sequece of scenes, the exact relative location of characters and objects in the frame. It was as faithful to the source as possible. The main title music was quite good.

I'm not so sure. It would need much lighter orchestrations, as minimalistic as the background design or the character's design. I think this score can be a great opportunity for other people.

I suppose it would depend on which story was made into a movie really. If it was the Tibetan adventure then yes JW may be a bit too hard (even though he scored 7 years in Tibet..LOL). If it was one of the more hardcore comics where Tintin has a frown, wearing a reporters mack and carrying a pistol and in car chases, then JW would be perfect.

That's why a movie should not be made now.  :angry:  Let's face it. Tintin is not made for these modern times. Tintin belongs to the 20's. It would be like making a 21st century version of Jeeves!!  8O

True i suppose. Like Indy, they kept the atmopshere in the 40's. But Tintin is just do damn nice and moral at times for most. Although it would be wonderful to see such things in movies again. Like Ben Hur, i love some of the moral lessons within it, even though i'm not religious or anything. They are interwoven well that its not preaching but a good guy is a hero.

Please say you don't mean that. By the way I hope you mean Milou, the dog's actual name.  Although captain Haddock MUST be British instead of French. That should be waaaay funnier. Imagine him changing those weird words into Shakespearian insults.  :|

MM..I dont know. I reckon a rabid pitbull would be better :). I'm a Brit, i could play Haddock. Mind you, not all Brits are posh toffee noses you know. Most of us are agressive lager louts with a taste for promiscous sex and not living up to the american view of what British people are like. Somebody like a london wealing dealing geezer with a scar over his left eye would be more suitable for the actor to play Haddock. I suggest Vinny Jones wearing that trademark movie leather jacket. That would be great.

No. Leave Tintin alone. If he is not to be respected,he is not to be disturbed.

Well...excuuuuuuuse me :)

And who WOULD like to see a Jeeves movie made. With Stephen Fry of course, sir!

Nah. Hugh Laurie would be better. :P

I'm a massive Tintin fan. I'm slowly building up my collection and I'm more than two thirds towards completion! While I think Tintin could be a good source for a movie adaption, the point is why bother? The comics are fine. Why the hell does everyone feel compelled to have to make a movie out of EVERYTHING? It's like a book or a play or even a bloody poem can only attain legitimacy if it is made into a movie! I'll be the first to admit that I conjure up cinematically inspired mental images when I'm reading a book, but the point is that writing and reading are vital skills and assets to be enjoyed for their own sakes rather than a prelude for popcorn stimulation.

Okay, so that was a bit of a rant... :| By the way I don't think Tintin needs to be more 'hardcore' for any hypothetical updated version (which I completely oppose). Has anyone seen the original Tintin in the Congo where he inserts a stick of dynamite in a rhinocerous' back and blows the poor beast sky high just for the hell of it? :P Sometimes he can be such a dirty fascist, but other times (thanks to post WWII revisionism by Herge) be can show a really sensitive side such as when he comments on the plight of Native Americans, dispells nasty rumours about the Chinese and even saves those slaves in The Red Sea Sharks. Plus I think he's a great role model, he politely abstains from alcohol and he's ahead of his times too! I mean, his insistence on maintaining a morning ritual of 'calisthenics' is clearly a pre-cursor of the modern preoccupation with yoga LOL

CYPHER

Tintin rocks. In Holland, the little guy is called Kuifje, which if translated would be something like Forelock. By the way, has anyone of you read Tintin and the Alfa-art (free translation)? I don't know whether it was published in English, but it's Hergé's uncompleted final album. It is so cool to read and follow the entire process of how Hergé was writing the comic. It ends with such a big cliffhanger. Tintin is about to be made into a "living artefact." The story ends when Tintin is taken to his doom. It ends at page 42, instead of the normal page 62. I felt like the little guy would be frozen in carbonite after reading that. It is such a torture to realize this story will never be completed.

- Marc, who suddenly feels like re-reading the entire Tintin series.

:P Back to the Future (DVD playing in the background)

vig.jpg

I KNEW IT...I KNEW IT :) ..TINTIN EXPOSED AT LAST!

I knew he was'nt quite the good goody he makes himself out to be.

Playing with sticks of dynamite and hanging out with french prossies. :)

I saw a great apinting for sale in Paris a few years ago that depicted a junkie Tintin. It was quite disturbing, really, but the painting was very good.

BTW, I really don't know how to explain this, but my definitive Tintin theme as always been Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, by Edvard Grieg. I really don't know why, but that music will be forever conected with Tintin for me.

But about making a movie out of it, if it ever happened again, what kind of Tintin would you rather see? The roving reporter in his long coat, or the adventurous youngster travelling the world with his friends?

I suppose it would depend on which story was made into a movie really. If it was the Tibetan adventure then yes JW may be a bit too hard (even though he scored 7 years in Tibet..LOL). If it was one of the more hardcore comics where Tintin has a frown, wearing a reporters mack and carrying a pistol and in car chases, then JW would be perfect.

I insist. I think Williams' orchestrations and use of music might be a little bit too heavy for Tintin's minimalistic world.

True i suppose. Like Indy, they kept the atmopshere in the 40's. But Tintin is just do damn nice and moral at times for most. Although it would be wonderful to see such things in movies again. Like Ben Hur, i love some of the moral lessons within it, even though i'm not religious or anything. They are interwoven well that its not preaching but a good guy is a hero.

Then we are agreed. I wonder how any of those Hollywood hack writers could translate Tintin's impecable morals into something gullible, and not some kind of preached thing.

MM..I dont know. I reckon a rabid pitbull would be better :). I'm a Brit, i could play Haddock. Mind you, not all Brits are posh toffee noses you know. Most of us are agressive lager louts with a taste for promiscous sex and not living up to the american view of what British people are like. Somebody like a london wealing dealing geezer with a scar over his left eye would be more suitable for the actor to play Haddock. I suggest Vinny Jones wearing that trademark movie leather jacket. That would be great.

You know what kind of Brits I mean. I have spent two summers in London and one in Ireland, so I think I kinda know you people. And I meant an Irish captain Haddock. One that maybe used to be an aritochrat and now lives on booze. That could be hilarious. ALTHOUGH it's too stereotype and could lead to a wrong view of the UK by kids. Then again, it's the '20s. Kids certainly wouldn't watch that!

No. Leave Tintin alone. If he is not to be respected,he is not to be disturbed.

Well...excuuuuuuuse me :angry:

Very well then. You ARE forgiven.

Nah. Hugh Laurie would be better.  :angry:

John Williams could write a nice theme (or score) for Jeeves. A Sabrina-like kind of piece. That would be good, right? One theme for Jeeves (or for the Jeeves-Wooster relationship) and another for Wooster's family. The whole score could develop on that.

-ROSS

I insist. I think Williams' orchestrations and use of music might be a little bit too heavy for Tintin's minimalistic world.

He managed fine with Indy. The main theme is pretty simple. And for a reason. :angry:

He managed fine with Indy. The main theme is pretty simple. And for a reason. :angry:

It's different. The Indy music was wonderfully americana, and Tintin is European. In other words, it's too BIG!! The Indy theme could fit Tintin, as played in the college parts of the Indy movies.

I don't mean simple in melody, I mean simple in orchestration, as in a very reduced orchestra playing it.

Indy's theme isn't complex in orchestration. :angry: But is orchestrated extremely well never the less.

Anyway, I think Williams could manage Tintin.

I don't mean complex Morn. I mean heavy. John Williams writes bombastic scores. Not what Tintin needs.

He could of course change his style just for this one movie, like he's done before.

-ROSS

No, Morn. That's what I mean. I just proved my point.

Please don't make go into the you-disagree-with-everything spyral.

Just reread the posts AND THEN ask.

-ROSS, hoping to prove to the world that Morn can be talked to reasonably.

"Anyway, I think Williams could manage Tintin."

"He could of course change his style just for this one movie, like he's done before."

That's what I was thinking when I wrote that. :angry:

Yes, Morn! beerchug Very good! You have put a discussion to an end with good arguments. I'm sure Ricard and KM and everyone else will like to see that. Or will they? :angry:

Anyway . . . .even thought you got it right, it's my fault that I expressed myself badly. What I meant was:

If Williams is to change his style for the movie, then the score should be handed to a more experienced composer in that style. Someone like James Newton Howard, in this particular case, if he was a little bit more tuney. This, however, is just my opinion :)

-ROSS, off to his visiting cousin's hotel.

Very good! You have a discussion to an end with good arguments.

As always. :angry: And I think Williams will find it easy to out do James Newton Howard whatever style he tries. :)

Ross. Dont take it all so seriously :P. You replied like my casual post suggestion for a Tintin cartoon big screen movie was sacriligeous to the memory of a divine saint called Tintin. C'mon, he's only a comic drawing (please dont declare Jihad on me for saying that). I'm basically thinking still a "cartoon" movie, but on the big screen really. Even the ones already made before shown on big screen would be good. I suppose Zimmer has been a popular scorer for those kinds of movies. He's an idea which may not come to most peoples mind. No matter how much people hate him, his score for the movie "Power of One" is high on my list of favourite scores. He does'nt always do the "synth" thing, so i reckon he might pull something very original off with something like Tintin. I dont agree that as a definition that "Williams writes bombastic scores". He's done several light ones if you ask me.

P.S : Nobody can ever really know Brits or Irish without being one hehehe . We are a unique breed. And i'm a mixture of all. Irish mother, Welsh father, Scotish born myself, and living in England. :)

P.S.S : Have a look at this Tintin page about movie/cartoon adaptions.

http://www.tintin.qc.ca/english/cinema.htm

And the most interesting bit is at the end. I did'nt know this bit of info.

Until now, we haven't seen any more of Tintin on the big screen. Steven Spielberg did buy the rights to make a movie but it seems that he found it too hard to make one. Recently, the companies Ellipse and Nelvana produced cartoons for TV and succeeded quite well. Even if, once again, the scenarios aren't the same as the originals and the charm of the albums isn't really there, they still have the merit of having made a whole generation of young Americans discover Tintin

Ross. Dont take it all so seriously :P. You replied like my casual post suggestion for a Tintin cartoon big screen movie was sacriligeous to the memory of a divine saint called Tintin. C'mon, he's only a comic drawing (please dont declare Jihad on me for saying that). I'm basically thinking still a "cartoon" movie, but on the big screen really. Even the ones already made before shown on big screen would be good.

I'm sorry you read it that way. I didn't mean it too seriously, perhaps I should have explained myself a little better. I'm not one of those radical fans that will threaten to commit suicide if anything is changed from the originals. :)

I suppose Zimmer has been a popular scorer for those kinds of movies. He's an idea which may not come to most peoples mind. No matter how much people hate him, his score for the movie "Power of One" is high on my list of favourite scores. He does'nt always do the "synth" thing, so i reckon he might pull something very original off with something like Tintin. I dont agree that as a definition that "Williams writes bombastic scores". He's done several light ones if you ask me.

Yeah, Zimmer might be good. Or, guess who, William Ross! LOL

P.S : Nobody can ever really  know Brits or Irish without being one  hehehe . We are a unique breed.  And i'm a mixture of all. Irish mother, Welsh father, Scotish born myself, and living in England.  ;)

Blimey! :P

Zimmer, are you guys mad????????? He can't write 3 notes in succession let alone do TinTin. Williams could do it easily and he would not scale down the orchestra, but he would change the style to whatever it was needed for the film. He changes his style between Harry Potter, Minority Report, AI, Angela's Ashes, and even Star Wars now, so he could do TinTin.

Anyway, what I came to say is that the right's for a TinTin film have already been signed by a company.

• 11 months later...

Hm... Let's get this thing back to the top of the topic-list.

Yesterday, they held a comic event over here. I went, and got to see a lot of cool stuff. At one point, I was actually holding in my hand Tintin au Pays des Soviets, Tintin au Congo and Tintin en Amerique in their original state, first editions from the 1930's! Interestingly, on the back was printed they cost 20 Francs. A little sticker labeled them at 150 Euros apiece. :P

The coolest thing, although this is a little off-topic, was that I got to hold - out of its plastic sheet - a first print of De avonturen van Rikki en Wiske. There was only one print in that form, and only 7000 of them were made. It dates back from 1946. Any Dutch or Belgian comic collector knows this is something special. It's hard for me to explain why quickly, but my fellow Dutchies will know. And it was a bargain, too. Only 1700 Euros. :P

- Marc, who also stumbled across an Indiana Jones DVD Box Set over there. :music:

Actually Spielberg has been persuing TinTin for years. Below are some links that talk about it. The 2nd link has a good story on it. Looks like we will get one eventually. Based on SS's prior movie music history, it stands to reason that Johnnie will score it as well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13890

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/internation...,906058,00.html

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=&p=tintin

Rikki en Wiske???

Stefancos- who would like some more info?

Go here for info on Suske en Wiske.

Rikki is Wiske's brother. Rikki en Wiske is the original first story. Suske wasn't introduced until the second story: Op het eiland Amoras. Vandersteen dismissed Rikki with a simple joke in the announcement of the new story, that Rikki had left to get a "schoenbon", and had never returned. Rikki will return in the next story, which will be published next month.

I say the music from Seven Years in Tibet would fit perfectly for Tintin In Tibet. Well, just by reading the book while hearing the music, with all those great large scenery panels, it's fitting.