Is John Williams Your Favorite FILM Composer?

indy4

Is John Williams Your Favorite FILM Composer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Williams Your Favorite FILM Composer?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • He's tied for first.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film composer? As opposed to what? You should know that just about nobody on this board appreciates classical or (God forbid) popular music.

Film composer? As opposed to what? You should know that just about nobody on this board appreciates classical or (God forbid) popular music.

Maybe making a distinction of film vs. TV and video game? Either way, certainly Williams is my #1.

John- who knows there's at least one or two threads like this somewhere

Many people (not including myself) like classical music on this board.

hmmm, wonder how this one will go?

Well obviously "Yes" will win, but I'm still curious to see how many people will vote the other ways.

Hilarious considering your avatar pic ;)

Now we know the names of all the traitors so they can be... eliminated. Excellent job indy4.

Execute Order 66.

It must be done. They're plotting to take over JWFan.

Tied with Goldsmith.

Well, I do tend to prefer Goldsmith and enjoy a lot more things by him (in particular, I like his smaller stuff more than Johnny's '60's comedy scores, for instance), but Williams is so great the difference cannot be huge, despite the quantitative difference (I have & enjoy many more Goldsmith scores than Williams scores, but Williams more than makes up in quality the difference in numbers).

obbats0004.gif

Although I do appreciate other composers' work and sometimes even consider certain scores on par with Williams or sometimes even surpassing Williams, in general John Williams is just the best composer ever as far as I'm concerned. He always comes up with music that is great on it's own, but also works very well in the film. The quality is amazing and the quantity of great stuff by John Williams is also amazing. Of course it helps that John Williams composed the music for most of my favourite films, such as Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter. Only select scores by other composers can compare to those. These include Cutthroat Island, Mulan, First Knight and Independence Day.

Hell yeah. Nobody beats JW as far as I'm concerned. :P I even believe that in my lifetime (I'm 26 now), I won't live to see/hear another film music composer rise to the plateau that Williams has achieved. :rolleyes:

Definitely, but.. um... what do we do when he um... you know... kicks the bucket.

And I refuse to accept Gustavo as my next favorite living composer. That's like renouncing my political and religious beliefs.

Definitely, but.. um... what do we do when he um... you know... kicks the bucket.

Keep listening and rediscover old scores that get lovely new releases?

(see also Jerry Goldsmith)

No.1 James Horner

No.2 Bernard Herrmann

No.3 Jerry Goldsmith

No.4 Ryan Shore

No.5 Maurice Jarre

No. 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 John Williams (the old windbag)

He's probably knocking back a few whiskeys with Alex North, Bennie Herrmann, Miklos Rosza, W A Mozart and Igor Stravinsky in that big composer room in the sky.

A wise man you are.

A wise man you are.

So if Jerry Goldsmith's scores gets new releases who's dead (now saying a prayer for him) does that mean that when Johnny dies we get Indy Prequel scores new complete releases :(