Do you admire George Lucas?

Josh500

Do you like/admire George Lucas?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. He brought us Star Wars and Indiana Jones!!!

• Yes.
    • No.

Canceled my Dizney Plus subscription again. I wish I could purchase the old SW movies directly from Lucas without giving any money to the Commie Mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 8:00 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Canceled my Dizney Plus subscription again. I wish I could purchase the old SW movies directly from Lucas without giving any money to the Commie Mouse.

Considering Disney communists despite them kowtowing and pandering to the restrictions of the CCP purely for monetary gain is quite hilarious. Not sure if an entertainment company could be quite so synonymous with capitalism as Disney.

I admire the fact that Star Wars has influenced countless of people since 1977 in the film and creative industry.

I also admire him for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (my favorite show of all time.)

It was an incredibly ambitious show for the time, filled with adventure, romance and wonderful historical references.  He didn't care if it was going to be critically acclaimed, he simply wanted to tell a story.  And I admire that.

I remember watching the first few episodes and liking it (granted, I was 12 at the time), but then don't think we ever came back for season 2, not sure - I do vaguely remember at least seeing the Harrison Ford episode though, but that might have been an exception.  I have been kinda curious to go back and check out the entire series (since it's only 32 episodes), but from what I understand GL has re-edited everything and you can't legally see them the way they first aired

I'm never going to be able to convince anyone to like the show.  It's honestly a bit of an acquired taste.  It took me a tad bit of time to warm up to the show, but there are some really decent episodes.

The actor that plays Professor Jones is great, as well.  But he's really only in the first season.

Season 2 and 3 are where it's at, though, for me.

You do ultimately have to separate it from the movies mentally.  Not in a bad way that it's so far removed, it's just that the concept is very different.  There's little to no graverobbing and archaeology in it.

For instance my favorite historical fiction moment in it is when Indy suggests, off-handedly to the Red Baron to paint his plane red.  It's moments like that, that give the show it's charm.  Attack of the Hawkmen is that episode.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

As a massive Indy fan in my childhood, I never watched Young Indy Chronicles, purely because I couldn't get past Patrick Flanery and the weird theme tune. 

Ha, ha....the weird what? It's a spectacularly good theme. The show is brilliant too (even though there is variation in quality among the episodes). Watched it religiously when it first was on TV, and am a fond owner of all four soundtrack volumes on CD.

11 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I'm never going to be able to convince anyone to like the show.  It's honestly a bit of an acquired taste.  It took me a tad bit of time to warm up to the show, but there are some really decent episodes.

The actor that plays Professor Jones is great, as well.  But he's really only in the first season.

Season 2 and 3 are where it's at, though, for me.

You do ultimately have to separate it from the movies mentally.  Not in a bad way that it's so far removed, it's just that the concept is very different.  There's little to no graverobbing and archaeology in it.

For instance my favorite historical fiction moment in it is when Indy suggests, off-handedly to the Red Baron to paint his plane red.  It's moments like that, that give the show it's charm.  Attack of the Hawkmen is that episode.

I watched a few episodes on YouTube, including the ones about Indy learning how to play Jazz (that's the one with Harrison Ford in it at the end I think). I thought it was genuinely really fantastic, and I got really invested in the world and the characters. The interactions with actual historical figures were cute without being too over the top, I should definitely check out more episodes.

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I watched a few episodes on YouTube, including the ones about Indy learning how to play Jazz (that's the one with Harrison Ford in it at the end I think). I thought it was genuinely really fantastic, and I got really invested in the world and the characters. The interactions with actual historical figures were cute without being too over the top, I should definitely check out more episodes.

Fantastic. All the episodes are on YouTube.  And yeah Mystery of the Blues is a great episode.  The music in that episode is just fantastic.

The earlier episodes with Indy as a kid are a bit slower and have very little action.  They are very different than the Sean Patrick Flannery episodes.  I really enjoy the episode 'Passion for Life" where Indy meets Picasso and a young Norman Rockwell.  It sounds crazy, but it always works well in the context of the episode.

The show really takes off with the episode of Spring Break Adventure and Indy subsequently joining World War 1.

The show is worth it alone for the historical figures he meets.  And it's filled with charming moments of Indy changing history (for better or worse).  And you're absolutely right, it's never over the top. Each episode also stands by itself, with the exception of a few storyline arcs.

My favorite episode and if you'd like a recommendation (if you don't care to go in chronological order) is the episode 'Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life'

I think it's the best episode of the show.

The episode before that "Phantom Train of Doom" is also one of the most popular ones as well.  The

actor who played Belloq is in it (he's actually in two episodes)

I always say, if you watch those two episodes and don't like it, you'll never like the show.  They're good starters.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The earlier episodes with Indy as a kid are a bit slower and have very little action.

I actually prefer those episodes, and wouldn't mind a new INDY movie being within the same "style". Screw the action!

11 hours ago, Thor said:

I actually prefer those episodes, and wouldn't mind a new INDY movie being within the same "style". Screw the action!

I love them too.  I wasn't implying no action was bad, just a bit of a warning.