Do you admire George Lucas?

Josh500

Do you like/admire George Lucas?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. He brought us Star Wars and Indiana Jones!!!

• Yes.
    • No.

It seems to me that most people here have a negative opinion of GL. The main reason might be that he likes to chop up JW's brilliant scores... but then, without him, we wouldn't have JW working on the 6 Star Wars movies and 4 Indiana Jones movies in the first place. So, my question is, do you admire him?

I voted for the 1st option. Yes, I do. He is a brilliant man... not as brilliant as Steven Spielberg, of course, but he certainly IS!

It seems to me that most people here have a negative opinion of GL. The main reason might be that he likes to chop up JW's brilliant scores... but then, without him, we wouldn't have JW working on the 6 Star Wars movies and 4 Indiana Jones movies in the first place. So, my question is, do you admire him?

I voted for the 1st option. Yes, I do. He is a brilliant man... not as brilliant as Steven Spielberg, of course, but he certainly IS!

not the reason, the reason is he made 2 uber awful films and forever tainted the Star Wars saga.

I appreciate his work on Star Wars(1 film from 1977, no numbers no subtitles), and as a hands off as producer of 4 Steven Spielberg FILMS.

At the risk of sounding like those people who say "evolution is impossible because someone found human footprints next to dinosaur fossils," I will point out that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was booed during it's premier.

George Lucas is one of the premier artists of our time, and I'd agree that Spielberg is one of the top guys there, too. I am confident that Lucas will be remembered fondly in history books two hundred years from now. Nothing in the past 50 years can touch Star Wars in scope and depth, nothing.

Don't argue, I'm always right. :lol:

No I don't admire him. Why? Because he doesn't know what a MacGuffin is. I'm sick of hearing him talk about it like he has a clue. He doesn't.

Ted

Nothing in the past 50 years can touch Star Wars in scope and depth, nothing.

I'm not going to argue with that.

But I will say you're talking total crap.

At the risk of sounding like those people who say "evolution is impossible because someone found human footprints next to dinosaur fossils," I will point out that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was booed during it's premier.

George Lucas is one of the premier artists of our time, and I'd agree that Spielberg is one of the top guys there, too. I am confident that Lucas will be remembered fondly in history books two hundred years from now. Nothing in the past 50 years can touch Star Wars in scope and depth, nothing.

Yes, I admire George Lucas and the Rite of Spring thing is true learned that in my Humanities class in college. It was interesting to hear something that is considered great now was booed back then. George Lucas was probably booed many times. I bet he's use to it by now. I cant wait to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I cant wait to hear the soundtrack either. Does anybody know Lucas next project?

He has done many great things that make him deserve a lot of respect.

All of them happened before 1997, when it all came tumbling down...

Like the walls of Jericho!

Hopefully on May 22, Lucas will reclaim some of that respect.

Ain't gonna happen, even if it's a fantastic movie.

Spielberg and Ford will reap the kudos, Lucas will reap the rewards, financially.

Yes I do admire him for what he's done and accomplished.

I don't agree with some of the things he's done but I do admire him.

We definately need an new Indy trailer and score clips

you get the new trailer next friday with Iron Man

Do I admire him? Yes. But he's a slave of money. He'll do anything with his movies if he thinks it will make more money.

Do I admire him? Yes. But he's a slave of money. He'll do anything with his movies if he thinks it will make more money.

He's the born businessman is what he is. Not necessarily a bad thing.

THX-1138 has to be, undoubtedly, one of the best debut movies ever. And that is genius.

We definately need an new Indy trailer and score clips

you get the new trailer next friday with Iron Man

god another week of pre-Indy doldrums

I'd wager you Mother's best steak knife to see if KOTCS won't be mentioned anywhere on the threads for a whole week right up to opening day.

I respect him as a story teller, and he deserves recognition for what he as done for the film industry. But after the last ten or so years I cannot admire him for being a filmmaker or craftsman of any kind. He changed drastically, going from what he was in the 70's to what he is now. And for my money it was a change for the much worse.

Positive:

- A very shrewd businessman.

- A great storyteller. Most criticisms about the prequels I'd have are in presentation and excecution, not in the groundwork of the story.

- Still a good visual storyteller. I'm not as anti-CG as most people here.

- Seems like a geniuinely good guy and a good family man.

Negative:

- Horrible, horrible dialouge. Write the story outline and let someone else handle the script. And this has been around since the beginning.

- The one area where I'd criticise the CG: the sets. Build the actual sets, the effects should only be for the background.

- Not an actor's director. At all.

- Needs to learn how to say no to his friends for the good of the movie. Ben Burtt, I'm looking at you.

- Should have been much more respectful of Williams' scores in the final edit. Though, as I've argued before, RotS did not turn out bad.

Well despite one list being longer that the other I'm coming out on the side of yes. He's done a lot of good for the film industry.

Yes I do admire him for what he's done and accomplished.

I don't agree with some of the things he's done but I do admire him.

Amen

Positive:

- A very shrewd businessman.

- A great storyteller. Most criticisms about the prequels I'd have are in presentation and excecution, not in the groundwork of the story.

- Still a good visual storyteller. I'm not as anti-CG as most people here.

- Seems like a geniuinely good guy and a good family man.

Negative:

- Horrible, horrible dialouge. Write the story outline and let someone else handle the script. And this has been around since the beginning.

- The one area where I'd criticise the CG: the sets. Build the actual sets, the effects should only be for the background.

- Not an actor's director. At all.

- Needs to learn how to say no to his friends for the good of the movie. Ben Burtt, I'm looking at you.

- Should have been much more respectful of Williams' scores in the final edit. Though, as I've argued before, RotS did not turn out bad.

Well despite one list being longer that the other I'm coming out on the side of yes. He's done a lot of good for the film industry.

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of the prequel 'sets' were actually physical miniature models and not purely CG

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of the prequel 'sets' were actually physical miniature models and not purely CG

But that still meant a lot of blue/green screen on stage that the actors had to deal with, which was my main point. I know that there was quite a bit of miniature work done for TPM (the podrace arena, for example), but honestly I'm spacing it on if there was any of note on the last two.

Amazingly, some of the miniature and other real special effects work in the latter two prequels actually looks digital! It's as if effects artists altered the effects with computers to make them look less realistic. The capturing of the movies on digital tape is probably another major factor in the fake, plastic look of the films.

not the reason, the reason is he made 2 uber awful films and forever tainted the Star Wars saga.

I appreciate his work on Star Wars(1 film from 1977, no numbers no subtitles), and as a hands off as producer of 4 Steven Spielberg FILMS.

And it doesn't look like he's able to even admit that those two uber-awful Star Wars films were awful. An excerpt from the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

EW: So why resurrect Indy after all these years?

GL: We're doing it to have fun. We're not doing it to say, Oh, we're gonna get an Academy Award, everybody's gonna love us... We don't need the money. We're only going to get aggravation. The fans think it's gonna be the Second Coming. And it's not the Second Coming. They've already written the story (in their heads), and lemme tell ya, it's not that story. So they're going to be very disappointed. I went through this with Phantom Menace. Believe me, I've been there, I've done it, I know exactly the way they react. And they're very vocal about these things. We're not gonna have adoring fans sending us e-mails saying how much they loved the movie. We're gonna have a bunch of angry people saying, "You're a bunch of a--holes, you should never have done this. You've ruined my life forever. I loved Indiana Jones so much and now it's ruined." And all that kind of stuff.

Either GL still refuses to see how bad the prequels were, or he's trying to get everyone's hopes down so that they'll be excited by KotCS. Or, KotCS might actually be uber awful.

Technologically, he funded great things with revenues from all of those toys we bought so long ago. I'm grateful for that, and for the OT and Indy OT.

It's worth noting that Spielberg was quick to rebutt GL's comments.