What is the most asoundingly magical moment of JW writing ever?

Quintus

...but the music of ET applies here as much as anything else I guess.

For me personally it is probably the final moments of The Asteroid Field, as heard in the film. The way he closes the cue musically is why I love John Williams. Take it out of the film and its easily just as magical. Composition and orchestration heaven.

"The most astoundingly magical moment ...ever" is very hard to tell, since in his career he has written so many cues that would qualify (the E.T. and Star Wars scores are full of them, as already said). Just to put in something different, I think that one cue that is, certainly, very magical is the closing (but this could apply to the whole cue and the whole score, imho) of "The Face of Voldemort" from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I mean the moment when all seems ended in the film and in the music, and then you hear that menacing bass part, then that "suspended" chord and then that orchestral explosion that works so well, before the real end. Very few film composers could have composed something like that (perhaps only Williams), and so well fitting to the movie. A genius, a genius.

"The most astoundingly magical moment ...ever" is very hard to tell, since in his career he has written so many cues that would qualify

Which is precisely the reason why I phrased it in the way I did!

1) Helicopter entering Isla Nublar Skies in Jurassic Park

2) Journey to Hogwarts

3) Flight to Neverland when the flying theme kicks in

10 in no particular order...

- Last minute of music from E.T.

- Raiders: Map Room - when Indy puts the staff into the hole

- Raiders: German Sub - Climbing onto the Submarine

- Hook: Remembering Childhood - Peter flys up and becomes the Pan

- Empire: Carbon Freeze - As Solo is being frozen

1) Helicopter entering Isla Nublar Skies in Jurassic Park

- Superman: Big Rescue - When Superman grabs the helicopter

- ROTJ - "If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will!"

- Last Crusade - "After you Junior..yes sir!"

- Star Wars - Binary Sunset

I agree with pretty much every one of the above.

But those are just magical scenes in general. The Superman one for instance is basically just the march as we all know it and thus could also be classed as the opening credits, couldn't it?

Oh and welcome to the board :)

I agree with pretty much every one of the above.

But those are just magical scenes in general. The Superman one for instance is basically just the march as we all know it and thus could also be classed as the opening credits, couldn't it?

Oh and welcome to the board :)

I suppose you could classify them as magical scenes in general, but in all of those it's the music that is the defining factor of the magic. And while the Superman scene is at the basic level is just the march, it's orchestrated in such a way and played with such a brilliant passion that it sets itself apart from all the other uses of the March in the film, which is why I think of it as the best. It's the tiny little changes in the music that make a scene that relies on the score magical in my opinion. I'm sure we all have our favorite renditions of a theme. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

Many moments, but one which I have always loved is that part in Raiders where in the movie I think it is when the spirit that comes out of the Ark glides towards the camera in a 'benevolent' form, before events take a turn for the worst. The music in these few seconds gets me every time with it is seemingly pointing to ancient grandeur. I don't know, there is just something incredible about those few seconds that makes me just my jaw upwards and feel the 'power'. It's a musical - "Behold".

You can hear it on the video below, at 3:16-3:21. It more accurately begins at 3:05 with a subtle musical 'quiver' that implies something may be amiss, but the cherry on the top is that section from 3:16 to 3:21. It shows how just a few seconds of music can say so much, and with many composers I often find my favourites are short moments like that within whole works.

3:16-3:21 is the moment to look for

When the love theme (haven't seen the film, so I'm not sure excactly what it is) kicks in in "The Land Race."

"Harry Wondrous World"

and so many more...

The collective finale from Close Encounters, especially the ending.

Obi-Wan tells Luke to "use the force" during the battle of Yavin in Star Wars.

The opening to "Miami Confrontation" from Born of the Fourth of July.

And many more.

Face of Pan anyone?

I would have mentioned that, but coming from me it would be a tad predictable.

TGE has stumped Joe,

I'm thinking hard on this one, it might take me a day or two

Love Theme from Superman.

The entire cue is simply wonderful.

I thought about saying since I don't think there is a more beautiful track that JW has written.

But I was looking for just a smaller bit

Continuing the ride on the Superman train, I find myself giddy with awe at the sound of the triumphant fanfare as Superman swoops in to save a plunging Lois in "The Big Rescue" (aka "The Helicopter Sequence").

Perfect intersection of music and picture...

Luke defeats Darth Vader

Yoda lifts the X-wing

Han lowered into the carbonite

E.T. says goodbye (come...stay)

Harry wins the Quidditch match

Rescuing Sirius

Peter Pan flies over the sun

Indy swings into the mine car

Sun ray through the staff in the map room

Indy climbs on the sub

Superman catches Lois and the helicopter

Roy enters the mothership

Many moments, but one which I have always loved is that part in Raiders where in the movie I think it is when the spirit that comes out of the Ark glides towards the camera in a 'benevolent' form, before events take a turn for the worst. The music in these few seconds gets me every time with it is seemingly pointing to ancient grandeur. I don't know, there is just something incredible about those few seconds that makes me just my jaw upwards and feel the 'power'. It's a musical - "Behold".

You can hear it on the video below, at 3:16-3:21. It more accurately begins at 3:05 with a subtle musical 'quiver' that implies something may be amiss, but the cherry on the top is that section from 3:16 to 3:21. It shows how just a few seconds of music can say so much, and with many composers I often find my favourites are short moments like that within whole works.

Never noticed that bit, thank you for enlightening me sir!

I'll need to think about this for a while but I guess a small magical moment for me would be at 7:52 in The Wampa's Lair/Vision Of Obi-Wan/Snowspeeders Take Flight.

I didn't have to click the link to know the exact moment of which you speak, but I did anyway! I 100% agree that Williams captured something very special in those few seconds, something only the LSO in full majestic mode could deliver.

THE most magical John Williams moment for me is the use of the theme in Close Encounters as it plays when Lacombe and the alien from the mothership are "speaking" to each other in sign language. That scene never fails to choke me up.

I didn't have to click the link to know the exact moment of which you speak, but I did anyway! I 100% agree that Williams captured something very special in those few seconds, something only the LSO in full majestic mode could deliver.

I can only agree with that, i absolutely love this moment! :huh:

Love Theme from Superman.

The entire cue is simply wonderful.

I thought about saying since I don't think there is a more beautiful track that JW has written.

But I was looking for just a smaller bit

I know I cheated but are quite a few of those short moments from Williams. I couldn't narrow it down.

Another one from Empire: Cadillac of the Skies

I second this. Assuming of course, that you mean the concert version. :D

Its too hard to pick one. There's hit you over the head type of magical like ET at the end which is great. But I also like the subtler moments like the blue fairy theme in AI playing underneath the dialog of the little boy and the alien to name one that comes to mind for some reason. Difficult question though.

- Adam

It's definitely a tought choice, but I'm going to go with the climax of 'Buckbeak's Flight', where the orchestra gets into super-dramatic mode and I think a choir comes in. Also from Prisoner of Azkaban is a scene I thought was scored perfectly: after the first part of 'Secrets of the Castle', where there is a cut scene to an external Hogwarts and the dementors are closing in. The sinister rendition of 'Double Trouble' and the whispering choir are both amazing and suit the scene perfectly. It's only a 30 second piece of music but it's magic!

I think I've settled on the first minute and 50 seconds of Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun.

Conclusions of Death of Jonathan Kent and Leaving Home from Superman (absolute favourites), last minutes from E.T., seeing the dinosaurs for the first time in Jurassic Park and a lot of moments from Star Wars and Harry Potter films.

I think the Man against Beast cue in Jaws is probably the most magical. 5 minutes of mayhem and sheer adrenaline fuelled excitement....

• 4 years later...

Too many to list here.

But many of my favorites have already been listed here.

Hook's "Flight to Neverland"

E.T.'s "Adventure on Earth"

Jaws's "Man Against Beast"

Schindler's List's "I Could Have Done More"

etc. etc.