What is the most asoundingly magical moment of JW writing ever?

Quintus

Harry's Wondrous World comes to mind.

Especially the part where it goes :

428582Capture.jpg

With the strings playing this wonderful theme at the same time...

That is just a pure magical moment for me...huge goosebumps every time !

Harry's Wondruous World comes to mind.

Especially the part where it goes :

428582Capture.jpg

With the strings playing this wonderful theme at the same time...

That is just a pure magical moment for me...huge goosebumps every time !

Agreed! This entire piece is magical (or wondrous, I guess)!

My favorite part is the Quidditch Fanfare followed by the Hogwarts Theme.

The duel cue in empire,partic the fanfare part!,flying seqence superman and chasing rockets!,reunion of friends in harry potter 2!,loads more from star wars scores,there`s to many to mention off top of my head at mo!.Does anyone else find flying seqence so emotinal,and uplifting,never get bored of listeing to many jw scores.

While I stand by my Cadillac of the Sky's comment,

I've narrowed my search to a magical moment, from Jaws.

Father and Son. Intimate, touching, truly magical and completely grounded in reality.

Or the whole escape through the nocturnal forest from DRACULA, when Langella carries Kate Nelligan to his castle. Things like this i even recognized when i saw it as a 10-year old. The last 40 seconds of the VISITORS cue form CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

I always wished for a movie that actually supported his score for SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET.

There are so many, i can only list some of my favorites:

The Finale of Home Alone 2 when Kevin says goodbye to the pidgeon lady

When Luke defeats Vader in RotJ.

Obi-Wan tells Luke to "use the force" with the magical string Force Theme statement during the battle of Yavin in Star Wars.

The film opening of Double Trouble when they approach Hogwarts in PoA.

When they reach the island and see the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park

Padme's Funeral cue in RotS (Funeral theme seques into the Force Theme which seques into the Imperial March)

Close Encounters when the Alien says goodbye and the ship leaves.

Map Room Dawn from Raiders when the sun shines through the staff

When ET and Elliot start flying

One of them is definitely when the trombones take over the horn ostinato in "Abducting Lucy" from Dracula.

Also pretty much any segment of "The Map Room."

One of them is definitely when the trombones take over the horn ostinato in "Abducting Lucy" from Dracula.

Also pretty much any segment of "The Map Room."

okay I must poke a bit of fun towards you.

I would think your answer would be all of them. although not all are equally most astoundingly magical.

1. The music which plays when E.T.'s plant comes back to life at the end. It almost makes me cry with happiness. It just a few bars of the flying theme but they are played in such an uplifting manner.

2. 12:38 There is a monumental finality to these orchestra crashes like the sound of a million hearts breaking at the same time.

I still find it incredible that for such a small and intimate film, E.T. has such a huge score.

3. Entry into the Great Hall in Harry Potter 1.

[media=]

It just seems like the air itself is swirling with magic and mischief in it.

Alright, time for me to play.

Since so much has been said about Empire, I will continue it: The Rebel Fleet/End Title - Everything about this is just magical. Everything just went to hell, but the music lets us know that all is not lost. Then when the end credits kick in we get a wonderful rendition of Yoda's theme that is unexpected and then ending with the drawn out Empire theme.

LOL and then I'm thinking...... wait - I just did JG not JW....brb

okokok, JW - Leaving hogwarts.... (sorry boys, just going on the magical moment, not just JW earlier)

Adventures on Earth... Hands down...

Next for me would probably be the powerful end of "Miracle of the Ark". It's just so badass.

Oh god Hornist's bleating fanboyism is getting fuckin' boring now. John Williams is a big boy, he doesn't need his wannabe entourage to protect him.

Lee - who is baffled by his original TESB choice at the top of the thread. Close Encounters When You Wish Upon a Star is the correct choice here. Neary surrounded by the Aliens etc.

For me, it's every time he dips into the 'religious sound' (or pastoral/spiritual sound, call it whatever you will).

Either that, or the JURASSIC PARK theme.

The children touching Peter's face when they realize he is the Pan. Peter when he gets his happy thought. Leia when she senses his brother's precariousness beneath Bespin. The music when Luke emerges from his hiding position to assail Vader.

Oy, so many great moments mentioned in this thread. One I'd like to add is the transition into the end credits of Star Wars. With this one, the performance and recording make such an incredible difference. Something about the fast tempo and aggressive brass sound in the original recording makes that moment purely magical. It brings the film to an absolutely perfect close.

I'm sure I've got more passages to mention, but at the moment, my brain is lost in listening to the end credits of Star Wars. (Remastered with a little convolution reverb and EQing...yum.)

Okay, it's over. More moments I absolutely love:

* The final high trumpet blast at the end of the helicopter sequence in "Journey to the Island."

* Much of the E.T. finale, of course, but everything starting with the round-like statements of the flying theme is jaw-dropping. Pure gold. The fanfares come in and then your heart just stops when the horns end the film with the exact same theme that started it.

* The end of "Leaving Hogwarts." Easily some of the best music ever written. By anyone.

* The entire last part of "Flight From Peru." I absolutely love the entire cue, including the bizarre pizzicato stuff, but it ventures into "magical" territory as the plane takes off, and it stays there through the end of the cue.

Damn. Too much great stuff in this man's oeuvre.

I find magic in every note that proceeds from the pen of John Williams. There is beauty in his work, wonder-working beauty, effulgent beauty, that fires the imagination and kindles the heart.

I find magic in every note that proceeds from the pen of John Williams. There is beauty in his work, wonder-working beauty, effulgent beauty, that fires the imagination and kindles the heart.

Williams is bad.

Apparently your opinion of John Williams is as mysterious as my own. :D

Data

I agree with you on Leaving Hogwarts. It's deep and penetrating to my soul and I have a piano arrangement that I play along with the recording and just being able to play along with the recording is just about as rewarding as all get out.

Mines just the first phrase. That all I recorded at the time. There are some wrong notes but hey. I'm a human!!! I record things to make sure my hand technique is still on par. I love this transcription because the melody flows between both hands.

Somehow, everyone's forgotten to mention The Landing from Amazing Stories. That ethereal string part when the plane has landed? Holy God. The fanfare when the wheels vanish followed up with The Mission main theme played up big by the strings and brass. Finally the horns play one last rendition of the theme and we segue directly into the Amazing Stories end credits. All the hairs on my arms are now permanently sticking up.

Who are you?

Not really astoundingly magical (that feels almost like E.T. has to be the answer), but this is one of my favorites:

When Peter Pettigrew's theme kicks in as he's revealed. Brilliant scene in general, one of my favorites from the film. "The tail I could live with, but the fleas... they're murda." Love Oldman in this.

Wrong notes and all

[media=]

Beautiful! I'd love to hear the rest of it if you ever get a chance. :)

It may be a bit but I will do it.