Iron Man Score on Itunes

dooku77

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very hard rocking score by Ramin Djwadi, 1st major score out of the gates for summer, hopefully more soon...

1st major, but unfortunately by Ramin Djwadi, so I have no expectacion whatsoever.

He scores Prison Break. That's all I know about him.

When you say 'hard rocking', is that meant literally? If so, my low expectations just dropped through the manhole cover and into the world of the molepeople (pathetic attempt at a Simpsons reference).

My comments were really just referencing the words 'hard rocking'. They don't fill me with confidence in a new score for a film with lots of explosions and a human robot walking around.

And I'm not trying to give Djwadi a hard time - his work on Prison Break for instance is very good and appropriate for the context.

Wow. New film composers don't have it easy, do they?

I appreciate good new composers. I'm always trying to give new composers a chance. I didn't like what I've heard on Prison Break.

I appreciate good new composers. I'm always trying to give new composers a chance. I didn't like what I've heard on Prison Break.

Neither did I, though I have only listened to samples.

This fickle business where John Williams has been God for the past 30-odd years...

That's not true at all and you know it. Michael Giacchino has been embraced by many fans as well as Ed Shearmur, Brian Tyler, Marco Beltrami to name a few.

I just saw the movie. Even as an apologist of the MV sound, this soundtrack sucked. Even its good ideas (giving Iron Man a badass rock approach) turn out to be atrocious and completely unrelated to what's going on the screen. Although apparently the composer tried to make up for that with plenty of mickey-mousing.

The movie was actually pretty not bad. Not good, either, but at least it was harmless. It's hard to find a current superhero movie without its share of cringe-worthy moments, so by being one, the movie is more than what I was expecting.

Also, it has Robert Downey Jr.

I've heard some good things about the film.

The score, on the other hand, is the complete pile of crap I expected it to be.

Iron man is cool, let's face that. The music they used in the trailer seemed to fit very nicely ( Iron man - Black Sabbath / Back in Black - AC/DC ). Of course all of those are commercial rock songs so I wan't to hear how the soundtrack turns out. Where can I listen samples by the way, we (dutch) can't by tracks on Itunes.. or at least it never works on my pc to enter the shop.

Well the movie was great . . . definitely one of the best comic book movies made. I'd say it's a nice companion piece to Batman Begins. Each is an origin story, making a more serious approach as to how the man becomes a super hero . . . but Tony Stark is a funny guy (as opposed to the much darker tone of Batman) so it's much lighter. I've been looking forward to this movie for such a long time so it's nice to see someone nail this. Way to go Marvel for making it, and Favreau and Downey Jr. for doing a terrific job.

As for the score, I think it fits the movie perfectly. It's not terribly interesting to listen to on it's own, but it certainly isn't bad. In the film, the guitars support the character very well. If anyone's rock and roll, it's Tony Stark. Considering how poor rock guitars usually come through in film scores, this one pulled it off very nicely (I heard Tom Morello was involved with that?). The only thing I felt it was missing was a really solid Iron Man theme.

But the movie is making big money and a sequel is inevitable, so we'll see.

I just saw the movie. Even as an apologist of the MV sound, this soundtrack sucked. Even its good ideas (giving Iron Man a badass rock approach) turn out to be atrocious and completely unrelated to what's going on the screen. Although apparently the composer tried to make up for that with plenty of mickey-mousing.

The movie was actually pretty not bad. Not good, either, but at least it was harmless. It's hard to find a current superhero movie without its share of cringe-worthy moments, so by being one, the movie is more than what I was expecting.

I agree entirely.

@AzOutcast: I don't necasserily disagree with the guitar approach (even though, I do think that it would take a serious composer to do it right). But it was applied to the film in a sloppy, vague manner. And very often, it sounded like Djawindi was copying the temp of 'The Kraken' from PoTC 2.

The movie kicked ass and the soundtrack fit nicely. Must say that some of the tracks are nice to listen to but just like most of you I was missing a proper, recocgnizable Iron Man theme.

I noticed during the end credits that the theme from the Iron Man cartoon series was credited as being used.

I noticed during the end credits that the theme from the Iron Man cartoon series was credited as being used.

They have a little jazz number on the soundtrack, so I imagine it was used near the beginning when Stark was supposed to accept his reward.

Well the movie was great . . . definitely one of the best comic book movies made. I'd say it's a nice companion piece to Batman Begins. Each is an origin story, making a more serious approach as to how the man becomes a super hero . . . but Tony Stark is a funny guy (as opposed to the much darker tone of Batman) so it's much lighter. I've been looking forward to this movie for such a long time so it's nice to see someone nail this. Way to go Marvel for making it, and Favreau and Downey Jr. for doing a terrific job.

As for the score, I think it fits the movie perfectly. It's not terribly interesting to listen to on it's own, but it certainly isn't bad. In the film, the guitars support the character very well. If anyone's rock and roll, it's Tony Stark. Considering how poor rock guitars usually come through in film scores, this one pulled it off very nicely (I heard Tom Morello was involved with that?). The only thing I felt it was missing was a really solid Iron Man theme.

But the movie is making big money and a sequel is inevitable, so we'll see.

I agree entirely.

@AzOutcast: I don't necasserily disagree with the guitar approach (even though, I do think that it would take a serious composer to do it right). But it was applied to the film in a sloppy, vague manner. And very often, it sounded like Djawindi was copying the temp of 'The Kraken' from PoTC 2.

You're probably right. I'm not fluent with the POTC 2 score, but I was very excited to see this flick and God knows I really didn't notice how the score was used within the film (unless it was one of those "bad ass" shots when the guitars kick in).

They have a little jazz number on the soundtrack, so I imagine it was used near the beginning when Stark was supposed to accept his reward.

I think it was used on his cell phone ring tone

I think it was used on his cell phone ring tone

You're both right. It was played as a jazzy source cue for Tony's Vegas escapades and as Pepper's cell phone ring. It's those nice little touches that made me love this movie even more. It really is a fun flick!

As for the rather disappointing score, the less said - the better.

The score worked well in film, although I wear I heard the Spider-Man melody. Loved the use of Institutionalized. XD

I loved the movie. As for the score, I have no interest in it outside the movie, which I suppose makes it poor. However, there was never one single moment during the movie when I noticed the score negatively. It's possible that I was just too wrapped up in enjoying the movie to pay attention, and that the next time I watch it, I'll loathe the score like some of the rest of you seem to. But even if that turns out to be the case, so what? The movie is awesome; the lack of an awesome score is of no consequence whatsoever.

A very hard rocking score by Ramin Djwadi, 1st major score out of the gates for summer, hopefully more soon...

Sounds like the Oscar is his with a name like that.

Specially when he seems to have an excellent score by Williams, and the last INdy score for the academy to redeem itself for not awarding any of the others...