The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Well

Luke should be happy with the opening of the film since it has the mountain.

yes but

is it after the paramount logo or the Lucasfilm logo?

:)

From what I've heard

Paramount so you'll be happy.

It's definitely

after the ORIGINAL Paramount logo. (I had thought they might try something with the newer, flying stars version)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well

Luke should be happy with the opening of the film since it has the mountain.

yes but

is it after the paramount logo or the Lucasfilm logo?

:)

From what I've heard

Paramount so you'll be happy.

It's definitely

after the ORIGINAL Paramount logo. (I had thought they might try something with the newer, flying stars version)

Humpf,

i hate to eat my words, but i think this is good news! Old paramount logo even. But then the CGI should not be present in the movie...

oh come on guys there are spoilers and then there are things that each indy film will have

1. the paramount logo, get over it being a spoiler, its not

2. creepy crawlers, there will be something that gives people the hives

3. a villian will die is a very gross manner

4. indy will fight someone bigger badder and stronger, but somehow prevail.

oh come on guys there are spoilers and then there are things that each indy film will have

You already posted that :)

Or is it Groundhog day today?

#2 and #3 get paired together in one of the more horrific moments.

Here's a big spoiler:

He uses a whip!!!!!!!

Oh good. Hopefully he uses it more in this than he did in Last Crusade where he used it to swing into a window and later save his dad on the tank, and that's it I think (young Indy doesn't count).

Neil

Oh good. Hopefully he uses it more in this than he did in Last Crusade where he used it to swing into a window and later save his dad on the tank, and that's it I think (young Indy doesn't count).

Neil

he used it in the ship of panama hat, to swing.

or was it a crane chain? i have to watch these movies again :)

From the Chicago Tribune review:

...and they're lit by cinematographer Janusz Kaminski with so much pearly white light, the characters threaten to turn into Stanley Kubrick's Star Children.

Kaminski has done some amazing work, but this is one thing that has always bugged me. It always seems like an alien mothership is sitting 5 feet away from the window in a Kaminski picture. Even parts of Saving Private Ryan look as if they were filmed on the sun. I wish he'd tone it down a bit.

Perhaps I've missed it, because I am just skimming through the thread, but how well does the score work in the film? Any big peieces of music not included on the OST?

Thumbs up positive 3 1/2 star review by Roger Ebert:

Ebert's Chicago Sun-Times review

Now what else can I tell you, apart from mentioning the blinking red digital countdown, and the moving red line tracing a journey on a map? I can say that if you liked the other Indiana Jones movies, you will like this one, and that if you did not, there is no talking to you.

I just got back from a screening of KotCS, I thought it was amazing.

Anything else you wanna say besides "amazing"? Without giving away any spoilers, that is? :)

Anything you want to know?

Please start off my Unreleased music thread if you remember anything from the score in the film

Well at our news, there was a report that Indy 4 was a general let down and far from being a good film.

Yesterday at Cannes people were laughing at scenes that were ment to be highly dramatic and with very senseless combined scenes...

And the aplause was very sparse at the end..

But they are hoping for the "DaVinci Code" Effect

Well at our news, there was a report that Indy 4 was a general let down and far from being a good film.

Yesterday at Cannes people were laughing at scenes that were ment to be highly dramatic and with very senseless combined scenes...

What do you mean "at our news"?

There was only one screening, and the critics were mostly applauding. Not all of them, mind, but most of them.

;)

What do you mean "at our news"?

There was only one screening, and the critics were mostly applauding. Not all of them, mind, but most of them.

;)

well our austrian newsstation has a website and it says with the headline.. "Indiana Jones leaves Cannes cold"

well being a word to word translation ;)

And german newpaper writes.. (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung)

Wer auf diesen Film gewartet hat, in dem Harrison Ford wieder den Hut aufsetzt, die Peitsche an den Gürtel hängt und auf die Suche nach einem geheimnisvollen Objekt geht, das zumindest in der Legende überirdische Kräfte hat, will einzig das - gute Unterhaltung. Und die kriegt er mit einer altmodischen Geschichte, die auch ein wenig altmodisch inszeniert ist, mit möglichst wenigen computergenerierten Bildern und Effekten, mit Stunts, die so aussehen, als hätte Harrison Ford sie tatsächlich bewältigt, mit ein bisschen zuviel Musik zwar, aber ohne allzu einfältigen Dialog.

Rough translation: The one who expects good entertainment gets it. Oldfashioned story done in an old-fashioned way, nt much CGI, Stunts looking like Harry has done them himself, allthough with a little TOO MUCH music, but atleast without hmm I'd say forced/wooden dialogue

TOO MUCH not sure what it means.. some times t may not fit the scene

Hmmmm, dunno, maybe the Austrian critics didn't like it themselves! ;)

:P

Well I have sent them a reclamation. Because in fact about 75% are very positive reviews and the rest isn't entirely negative.. what my country will hear on the evening news will just be very untrue..

According to them NOONE really liked it.....

Morons! ;)

Thumbs up positive 3 1/2 star review by Roger Ebert:

Ebert's Chicago Sun-Times review

Now what else can I tell you, apart from mentioning the blinking red digital countdown, and the moving red line tracing a journey on a map? I can say that if you liked the other Indiana Jones movies, you will like this one, and that if you did not, there is no talking to you.

I've been determined to avoid spoilers, but I just couldn't help it after hearing some of the negativity associated with the reviews.

Thusly did I find myself clicking on the link to Ebert's review, and I find myself almost toally reassured that I am going to have a blast with the movie. I don't always agree with Ebert, but I've gotten to be pretty good at figuring out when I'm going to agree with him and when I'm not. This positively reeks of a case in which I'm going to agree.

Bring it on!

(I'm also pleased because I just got an email saying that Amazon had shipped me a box containing not only the soundtrack, but also the new book The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films, which sounded like a must-own. I'll enjoy reading that in the projection booth between starting shows of the new movie!)

Here's a story in USA Today which reports that the Cannes screening went quite well:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2...ndyonline_N.htm

The paper's reviewer notes that it is flawed, but worthwhile:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/review...ana-jones_N.htm

And again, we remind us that it's only a movie - not a rocket to unchartered territories in the wide galaxy.

By it's very nature it never was expected to hold a bunch of jaded Cannes critics in it's spell....and those with the highest expectations may have been the ones with the least happy faces afterwards.

Judging from the whole alien-business i just know that it will be a blink on my radar, at best. Silly alien stuff is really a kind of americana tradition, isn't it?

And again, we remind us that it's only a movie - not a rocket to unchartered territories in the wide galaxy.

By it's very nature it never was expected to hold a bunch of jaded Cannes critics in it's spell....and those with the highest expectations may have been the ones with the least happy faces afterwards.

Judging from the whole alien-business i just know that it will be a blink on my radar, at best. Silly alien stuff is really a kind of americana tradition, isn't it?

i checked two newspapers here and the reviews sound like the austrian ones

critics not liked, cold, nothing new...

But they usually do that if its not an artsy fartsy film.

NYT film critic A. O. Scott, who in 2001 proclaimed A.I. Artificial Intelligence "the best movie of the year" and in 2003 crowned Spielberg as "the greatest living American director," writes the following in his Cannes report:

I was bored out of my mind while watching the movie, which makes me think that Steven Spielberg was terribly bored while directing it.

CORRECTION: The portion of the article from which the quote is taken is the work of Manohla Dargis, who has apparently been assigned to review the film for the Times this Thursday.

I think it's safe to say with a film like this generally if the critics hate it the fans will end up liking or loving it.

I don't think so. The most vile and unwarranted flamethrowing most often comes from 'the fans'.

Not many 'official' critics would risk their reputation by trampling a film to death because a whip in it has the wrong color.

Not many 'official' critics would risk their reputation by trampling a film to death because a whip in it has the wrong color.

Oh don't tell me they effed with the whip!

Well I must say it's a little nerve racking to see these reviews all over the place. Although, the same applies to Temple of Doom (and that movie is great), so who knows. Does anyone know what's up with the prairie dogs? I kept seeing them mentioned in reviews.

Well I must say it's a little nerve racking to see these reviews all over the place. Although, the same applies to Temple of Doom (and that movie is great), so who knows. Does anyone know what's up with the prairie dogs? I kept seeing them mentioned in reviews.

All I keep seeing is articles about Cannes giving it a standing ovation?

What's with the huge discrepancy?

The standing ovation took place at the start of the film, not the end.

Prairie dogs - read at your own risk. If I'm wrong someone can correct me but based the info given to me:

The Paramount logo does begin like the three previous films but the mountain this time is a small prairie dog hill.

Aside from rotten tomatoes, the advanced IGN review as well as the two reviews at joblo.com were poor. I don't put much stock into those reviews though. The one guy I like at joblo.com (Berge) hasn't reviewed much lately. Ebert, I tend not to agree with half the time but I respect him.

The general buzz on the internet though is all over the place. I'd say most of it has been positive, but not as positive as say, Iron Man.

No it seems that people like it with some misgivings but it sounds like it's gonna be the 4th best Indiana Jones film.

It doesn't sound as good as LC.

It also looks like the film will catch a break at the box office with both Speed Racer and Narnia II underperforming.

A little less competition to worry about.

Thats because Iron Man is something New, Indy isn't new, he's old.

I'm pleased at the reviews by Corliss and Ebert both whom I respect. I don't always agree with them, but they are solid film reviewers.

It also looks like the film will catch a break at the box office with both Speed Racer and Narnia II underperforming.

A little less competition to worry about.

Oh, great. Here comes Indiana Jones and the Senior Citizens on Patrol.

Thats because Iron Man is something New, Indy isn't new, he's old.

I'm pleased at the reviews by Corliss and Ebert both whom I respect. I don't always agree with them, but they are solid film reviewers.

I was suprised by Ebert's review.

Aside from rotten tomatoes, the advanced IGN review as well as the two reviews at joblo.com were poor.

Well I don't know about the IGN one, it seemed very positive to me. They enjoyed it according to this link

Bottom line, I think if you're not a fan of LC, you probably won't like this one either.

Oops, whatever you do, don't read the C.H.U.D. reviews. Four different writers weigh in and every single one of them rips it to shreds.

Bah! Spoilsports!

Aside from rotten tomatoes, the advanced IGN review as well as the two reviews at joblo.com were poor.

Well I don't know about the IGN one, it seemed very positive to me. They enjoyed it according to this link

Bottom line, I think if you're not a fan of LC, you probably won't like this one either.

that doesn't bode well for me, though I've not read many reviews that say it falls into the same tone as any particular of the 3.

I have read it does reflect patterns of a 1950's scifi horror film, and no one here is as big a fan of that era of filmmaking than I am.

technically LC is by far the worst film of SS career, we've never seen such low production values as in that film before or since. So I can't imagine this film going there.

As for Chud I don't think any of their reviewers even have their pubes yet so in the words of Eric Cartman, Whatever....