The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Did anyone find it odd, seeing Indiana in jeans and a T-shirt during the scene with the FBI guys?

Seriously, I half expected Indy to suddenly say:

"Are you suggesting that I killed my wife? Are you saying that I crushed her skull and that I shot her? How dare you. When I came home, there was a man in my house. I fought with this man. He had a mechanical arm. You find this man. You find this man..."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark is just being an old eff. :P

This film reminded me a lot of Lethal Weapon 4. A lot of references to the earlier films, some scenes and characters that did not need to be there, and a rather forced comedy ending.

But I've always loved Lethal Weapon 4, really loved it. :P

And I agree with Elmo that it was weird watching a new Indiana Jones film.

Did anyone find it odd, seeing Indiana in jeans and a T-shirt during the scene with the FBI guys?

so where you chemically enhanced too when you saw the film

Gee.

So

the refrigerator gag is admittedly cartoonish and some of you don't like two harmless prairie dog gags

, and this makes it the worst movie ever, a proof of low (taste & intellect) standards, a sign of coming apocalypse, and everybody should answer the call to arms to stone Spielberg, Lucas, Koepp and Ford and burn the movie?!?!?!

Try to actually read before you sum up things, Comrade! Especially Post #645. A Murdoch comment.

I fail to see what I've done wrong-- Brother!

In the message you refer, Murdoch claims he was cheated, that Spielberg & Lucas were just thinking of milking more millions (if that was the case, they would have made a dozen more IJ movies by now); he did make a few more remarks to support his claims, but his was not the only message I was basing my reply on.

There was

no need for Marian to even be in this film. Her character is just there so Lucas and Spielberg can have their happy ending. Shia was wasted after the jungle chase sequence and that monkey scene was just...well awful.

Even the

ant sequence was tame compared to the past. I was expecting to see the ants tear a person apart in a somewhat gruesome way and carrying body parts back to the hole.

Now this, I can understand. I do not share Mark's final feeling of disappointment, but I have no problem reading ( :P ) such comments, because they make a lot more sense than "It's a scam! They just want our money! You're insane to want to go see it and to have anything spoiled for you!" or such stupid things as that article by a British newspaper I referred to.

A small bit I really liked -

barely minutes after he learns that Mutt is, indeed, his son, one of Indy's first reactions to Mutt's ideas is: "This is intolerable!".

It's kinda drowned in sound effects, but it's there.

Didn't that line actually appear just before he and Marion got

stuck in the quicksand?

Yes, that's right before; I think it's the first line of dialogue

after they have escaped

By the way, I hope the Pancho Villa story isn't a reference to the Young Indy TV show.

Of course it is, and I don't see the problem.

Ford looked and sounded tired thru the whole film.

Even the

one time he used his whip as a weapon

he looked pathetic. Crack that damn thing like a man!

By the way, I hope the Pancho Villa story isn't a reference to the Young Indy TV show.

Lose your hope. It is.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

i even think they reference the books!

Unless it appears in the movies or young indy chronicles that indy studied at the university of Chicago.

Does mac wear the cap that is featured in the poster?

I think it's mutts cap. Mac used a panama hat...

Unreleased scene? :P

Or artistic creative decision?

He wears it in the jungle chase. i think it is a russian cap.

:P Mutt WILLIAMS calls Indy Daddy-O :lol:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

The Good:

Harrison Ford- Even though he's older, He's still as great as always.

Indiana and Mutt- I was expecting not to like Mutt, but was pleasantly surprised. Their interaction reminded me of LC, especially the disapproving look Indy gives Mutt when the Statue of Marcus's head falls off. A "A Whirl Through Academe"- I loved the whole sequence from when Mutt is introduced to the brawl in the cafe, and finally the Motorcycle Chase.

Oxley- I liked him when he was crazy.

The very, very end- Indy grabbing the hat from Mutt.

The Ark- I was very happy to see the Ark get a cameo.

The Young Indy reference- Indy mentioning he learned some language (I don't remember which) from Poncho Villa was nice.

The Bad:

CG Prairie dogs- Who's idea was this?. :rolleyes: And I thought they said they weren't using CG anyway.

The skull taking over Indy's mind, or whatever was happening- That reminded me of zombie-Indy in TOD and not in a good way.

The script- I really missed the drama aspect of the plot. There was a lot of humor. Some worked, some didn't. But once Marion was introduced, it was Rush! Rush! Rush! There was a chance to have some genuine serious moments with Indy, Marion, and Mutt because of their relationship but...there wasn't. LC had a lot of humor, but it also had a seriousness between Indy and his father. This didn't. Or if it did, it was downplayed a lot.

Over-the-top silliness- I didn't mind Mutt swinging on vines like Tarzan. Indy hiding in a refrigerator to escape a nuclear blast and Marion driving off the cliff and landing in the tree, though, were ridiculous.

The ants eating the guy- That was pretty disturbing.

Indy having 5 other people with him- This got too chaotic, and we didn't really get to see much of the other people.

Indiana Jones- He didn't feel central to the plot unlike the other 3 films.

Jonesey- Why does no one call him Indy. Ray Winstone's character calls him Jonesey :P and a lot of people call him Henry Jones Jr., but I hardly heard anyone call him Indy.

The Jungle Chase- A lot of it just didn't look real.

The Ugly:

The alien/The Depature- I hated it. I hated the fact that the skeletons came together to form a living, breathing alien. I hated that we even saw an alien. I hated that when the aliens say they're going to give Irina a gift, they leave out the part where they were going to disintegrate her afterwards. I hated the whole explanation that they're from a different dimensions. I hated the spaceship leaving. I hated the whole climax, in fact.

Overall, I was disappointed in it. It didn't feel like an Indiana Jones movie. There were some fun parts, but it just wasn't enough to redeem the movie.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot about the spoiler tags.Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

So maybe someone has read my harsh first critisism.. well I am really dissapointed now... by MYSELF!

I was convinced by my father to watch this movie today with him... so first time for him and second time ffor me.

He really loved it and I did love it too! :rolleyes:

I never had something like this before, hating a movie and then suddenly loving it...!!

I think I enjoyed it because now I wasn't in nerd-mode but was watching it from a certain distance... and i knew what would happen... and I took the film not so seriously as I did 2 days ago! Ok the vine scene still isn't necessary and even not a good idea.. but it didn't bother me at all... and I even loved the climax and the last scene i found to be kind of cute... This movie doesn't try to be a logical written character piece.. it is a pretty entertaining and sometimes sweet popcorn movie... that still makes fun of itself and its genre like the old ones did..

This time I felt the Indyflair throughout the entire movie .. I think i am converted or brainwashed now.. because I really hated the secondhalf 2 days ago!

It doesn't seem to be that flat anymore... and I love the myth ait dealt with and the solution... I found it very brave of Spielberg and Lucas to try something THAT new to the Indyseries...

I loved Irinas death with the alien... only that alien bothered me..crap fake CGI.. why not a puppet?

I found Illumination..... :P

Man... I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'm jealous.

I fear a second viewing won't change much for me. The script simply had too many cringeworthy moments in it.

So maybe someone has read my harsh first critisism.. well I am really dissapointed now... by MYSELF!

I was convinced by my father to watch this movie today with him... so first time for him and second time ffor me.

He really loved it and I did love it too! :rolleyes:

I never had something like this before, hating a movie and then suddenly loving it...!!

I think I enjoyed it because now I wasn't in nerd-mode but was watching it from a certain distance... and i knew what would happen... and I took the film not so seriously as I did 2 days ago! Ok the vine scene still isn't necessary and even not a good idea.. but it didn't bother me at all... and I even loved the climax and the last scene i found to be kind of cute... This movie doesn't try to be a logical written character piece.. it is a pretty entertaining and sometimes sweet popcorn movie... that still makes fun of itself and its genre like the old ones did..

This time I felt the Indyflair throughout the entire movie .. I think i am converted or brainwashed now.. because I really hated the secondhalf 2 days ago!

It doesn't seem to be that flat anymore... and I love the myth ait dealt with and the solution... I found it very brave of Spielberg and Lucas to try something THAT new to the Indyseries...

I loved Irinas death with the alien... only that alien bothered me..crap fake CGI.. why not a puppet?

I found Illumination..... :P

Actually it was pretty much the same with me. I didn't even wait 24 hours to see it again and my view on the movie changed quite a bit.

I'm seeing a digital copy tomorrow...

Karol

Man... I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'm jealous.

I fear a second viewing won't change much for me.

yes I dont know.. I was expecting something very different n the openingday.. and if you have something in your mind and it turns out you get something different... and its like forever.. missed oportunity to fullfill my desires... you feel very bad and disapointed.

But when you know whats coming youll see it with different eyes... well I am glad my dad convinced me! Now it is somehow more a part of Indiana Jones for me.. and a step in a complete different direction.. which I now admire

Just in remembering one viewing only, I have only one true major beef: The film is missing a pause scene. Raiders had the Bantu Wind, Last Crusade had the zeppelin. TOD didn't even try to attempt necessitating such a thing, so that doesn't matter as much.

I think they did need to get away at the end of the quicksand scene. This would allow for us to really see the reconnecting.

I think just adding one sequence like that, and then having them

get recaptured later in the morning

would have gone a long way to help the pacing and the drama. I certainly don't hate the film, or even really dislike it, but if there's one thing I could change, then that would be it.

I had thought I read a while ago that the film would contain the line "It's not the mileage, it's the years", but I didn't hear it anywhere... did I miss it, or did they take it out? Or was it never in there and I just read a false rumour?

Just in remembering one viewing only, I have only one true major beef: The film is missing a pause scene. Raiders had the Bantu Wind, Last Crusade had the zeppelin. TOD didn't even try to attempt necessitating such a thing, so that doesn't matter as much.

I think they did need to get away at the end of the quicksand scene. This would allow for us to really see the reconnecting.

would have gone a long way to help the pacing and the drama. I certainly don't hate the film, or even really dislike it, but if there's one thing I could change, then that would be it.

hmm i see what you mean... and I think you are right..it is practically one big chase/race... I think it would have been perfect after the

waterfall sequence.. hiding somewhere and just talking... the lovestory could have been somehow deeper developed in those scenes.. thats the only real thing that somehow botheres me..

I can sort of agree with that. The scene you mentioned just seems pointless. It's as if the script's pacing required an action sequence, so they cooked that up and never bothered to worry about it's utterly blatant irrelevance in the greater scheme of things.

I had thought I read a while ago that the film would contain the line "It's not the mileage, it's the years", but I didn't hear it anywhere... did I miss it, or did they take it out? Or was it never in there and I just read a false rumour?

One Collecting card-sticker from the movie had it. Or was it the Indy Monopoly...

maybe cut content.

The line was in the Darabont's script.

Karol

Maybe they were going to use it but decided that they didnt want Darabont suing them...

He already complained Marion was HIS idea.

I'm curious about what he thinks now, with most people that not enjoy the movie critisizing marion as a pointless character...

I'm more curious about GL contribution. Since the scripts are so different that Darabont doesn't get a credit.

Maybe his treatment went something like this:

Crystal Skull, some chases and UFO.

That would certainly justify screen credit :rolleyes:

I would like to take a look at the various versions.

Karol

Has anyone seen the new featurette on InianaJones.com? about "TeamIndy" It features John Williams smiling for a second near the end :P Johnny in glorious HD 1080p! :rolleyes:

Karol

Maybe they were going to use it but decided that they didnt want Darabont suing them...

I'm curious about what he thinks now, with most people that not enjoy the movie critisizing marion as a pointless character...

Nah, I read an interview with Darabont where he stated that he had no hard feelings and that he actually hoped that one line might make it into the finished article. The video is on YouTube and easily found.

TGE, I'm not sure what you mean about pointless--which sequence? I wouldn't cut either scene--for the most part, I liked them both. I'd just add a little more breathing room and real character development between

the quicksand scene and the convoy/jungle chase sequence.

hmm i see what you mean... and I think you are right..it is practically one big chase/race... I think it would have been perfect after the

waterfall sequence.. hiding somewhere and just talking... the lovestory could have been somehow deeper developed in those scenes.. thats the only real thing that somehow botheres me..

That's another thought. For some reason, though, I just have this image in my head of a great scene by a campfire, or in the moonlight, of

Indy and Marion fighting and then sort of realizing their mistakes and stuff, maybe really seeing the reconnect at the end of the scene. Then the next morning, you see them trying to make their way, but they get recaptured by the Russians.

Just a thought. Of course--and this is wishful thinking, I'm sure--I wonder if there was actually something like that that got cut? It will be interesting to see KOTCS build its own legacy of cut material and anecdotes as the other three have.

And completely OT, has anyone else noticed that some of the coolest variations on the Raiders March appear in "The Adventures of Mutt"?

Oh my.

I just went on boxofficemojo.com and had a shock to my system. Take a look at this:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Production Budget - 18 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - Production Budget - 28 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - Production Budget - 48 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - Production Budget - 185 Million

185 Million. :blink:

KOTCS cost almost double the combined budget of the trilogy.

And it's by far the worst of the four.

?????!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

That's another thought. For some reason, though, I just have this image in my head of a great scene by a campfire, or in the moonlight, of

Indy and Marion fighting and then sort of realizing their mistakes and stuff, maybe really seeing the reconnect at the end of the scene. Then the next morning, you see them trying to make their way, but they get recaptured by the Russians.

Just a thought. Of course--and this is wishful thinking, I'm sure--I wonder if there was actually something like that that got cut? It will be interesting to see KOTCS build its own legacy of cut material and anecdotes as the other three have.

And completely OT, has anyone else noticed that some of the coolest variations on the Raiders March appear in "The Adventures of Mutt"?

Yes I think there has to be a scene that was cut...

jhjf_2.jpg

Another shot which ended up on the cutting room floor?

I was wondering about that...

What am I looking at here?

He really loved it and I did love it too! :o

I found Illumination..... ;)

Wow, Miss Padme, your post gave me hope.

I mean, it's not like I dislike this movie, but maybe upon a second viewing this movie will become better. I didn't intend to see it twice at the theater, but now I have second thoughts. Maybe I SHOULD see it again . . .

:lol: Thanks!

Oh my.

I just went on boxofficemojo.com and had a shock to my system. Take a look at this:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Production Budget - 18 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - Production Budget - 28 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - Production Budget - 48 Million

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - Production Budget - 185 Million

185 Million. :blink:

KOTCS cost almost double the combined budget of the trilogy.

And it's by far the worst of the four.

?????!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

We already had that discussion. Different times, different Indy budget.

Has anyone seen the new featurette on InianaJones.com? about "TeamIndy" It features John Williams smiling for a second near the end ;) Johnny in glorious HD 1080p! :)

I love this featurette... but is there a reason why the catering guy appears before JW??? WTF!!! :lol:

Karol

To return Marion was a great idea. But Koepp's realisation made it pointless.

I would love to read Darabont's script now. Hope someday it will be possible.

Jonesey- Why does no one call him Indy. Ray Winstone's character calls him Jonesey :blink: and a lot of people call him Henry Jones Jr., but I hardly heard anyone call him Indy.

Because it's a Fake. He is not real Indiana Jones.

I mean, it's not like I dislike this movie, but maybe upon a second viewing this movie will become better. I didn't intend to see it twice at the theater, but now I have second thoughts. Maybe I SHOULD see it again . . .

hehe.. you know.. this was the first movie after national treasure 1.. I knew I wouldn't want to watch it again when coming out of the theater ..

and now I can't wait to see it another time :blink: and I can't wait for november when the DVD/Blu-ay will be eventually released!! :blink:

Jonesey- Why does no one call him Indy. Ray Winstone's character calls him Jonesey :blink: and a lot of people call him Henry Jones Jr., but I hardly heard anyone call him Indy.

Because it's a Fake. He is not real Indiana Jones.

marion calls him indy.

Sallah, willie and shortround do not appear and Marcus is dead.

who could call him indy?

it seems Mac has his own nickname for him, Jonesy (is this tipical british-like?)

And oxley seems to know him by Henry Jones Jr. Maybe since they were colleagues he caled him that to tease him. a friends joke.

Mutt does not know him

The evil guys have always called him Dr. Jones. and that the only fitting name to call him by the baddies

hehe.. you know.. this was the first movie after national treasure 1.. I knew I wouldn't want to watch it again when coming out of the theater ..

and now I can't wait to see it another time :folder: and I can't wait for november when the DVD/Blu-ay will be eventually released!! :down:

I find that my second viewing of a movie is oftentimes better than my first. After the first viewing my expectations and disappointments have been tempered. On the second viewing I can better enjoy what's there.

Gee.

So

the refrigerator gag is admittedly cartoonish and some of you don't like two harmless prairie dog gags

, and this makes it the worst movie ever, a proof of low (taste & intellect) standards, a sign of coming apocalypse, and everybody should answer the call to arms to stone Spielberg, Lucas, Koepp and Ford and burn the movie?!?!?!

Try to actually read before you sum up things, Comrade! Especially Post #645. A Murdoch comment.

I fail to see what I've done wrong-- Brother!

OK, I'm trying to sum up what I read here for you, my friend!

And I hope you will not have a problem to read this comment. :folder:

You know, old Indy films were not simply popcorn/fun/entertainment. They really had some intellectual layers. They, less or more successfully, were films for both who wants just see a fun adventure and for those who can appreciate the originality of artistic fantasy, cleverness of the author’s intellectual game. They gave you a pleasure of high quality entertainment and aesthetical joy of pure cinema, so to speak.

So what we got now is just a silly popcorn ride. Totally watchable and instantly forgettable. That’s all. Imagine that it was same plot and same action but with old Brandon Fraser from Mummy in it. It would just really passed by. Nobody care. Here Spielberg really reached the level of Stephen Sommers in terms of direction and the artistic (and professional) quality of the screenplay he chooses (may be even worse).

What was fatally bad about TKOTCS to separate it from Indy Trilogy:

The boring, mostly involving story which was not about Indiana Jones who just functioning here (as the other characters).

The lack of any real danger for heroes to feel some emotion for them.

The forced and cringe worthy humor (whole dialogue

in quicksand

are good example or Marion’s lines during

Shia’s fencing fight

etc).

The lack of any character relationships and/or love story (Father's/Son or Marion/Indy in Raiders or even Willy/Indy).

The main evil heroine is soo unbelievably cartoonish. Even by Indy standards it’s just unconvincing and ridiculous (not like Belloq/Mola Ram/Donovan).

Being in the heart of U.S. -the main enemy- she still wears Soviet uniform and a sabre.

Huge but completely dull and unmysterious… THING they found at the end (IMHO, the whole

Sci-Fi

premise was soo wrong and eventually dissapointing for Indy tradition).

Etc, etc…

Other problems (

CGI animals

, stupid Mutt’s stunts,

refrigerator gag

etc…) were just a derivation from it.

I watched it second time and… surprise… didn’t change my mind. Jones still looks fake. My friend, who respects the series, but doesn’t really care about it, was just pissed off. I’m more tolerable.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate the movie (And I don’t think many other “old-geezers” do). It’s just sad that Spielberg and Lucas didn’t even try approaching to the same level of artistic achievement as they reached before. That’s seems so obvious to me. I’m surely in minority here, because tastes seem really lower now. But that is another question.

p.s.

The way Henry Jones jr. kissed Marion at the wedding makes me feel sorry for old man and for Marion. Does he actually love her?

I'm expecting to enjoy it more after a second viewing, which will be Monday or Tuesday.

this has to be some strange psychological trick used by george lucas and spielberg...

imagine if every indy fan acts that way"Hmm what was that.. Indy? Defenitely the worst movie ever"

"Well wait it had great elements" "The rest of it can't be all bad!" "Nahh I watch it again maybe it isn't that bad atall, maybe i was overreacting!"

"Damn, I actually like it, wheres the dvd? not here yet.. well then better watch it again before it isn't in theatres anymore!"

imagine the money!!

:folder:

Oh, I've been meaning to ask MissPadme, going from your very nice signature: did you notice

the kinda/sorta link between the aliens in the movie and the ones from The Dig? Oxley's dialouge about another dimension and "between space" reminded me of Space Time 6.

:folder:

Oh, I've been meaning to ask MissPadme, going from your very nice signature: did you notice

the kinda/sorta link between the aliens in the movie and the ones from The Dig? Oxley's dialouge about another dimension and "between space" reminded me of Space Time 6.

:down:

damn... you are right! :folder: and

the crystals

!! ;)

Heh, yeah, I didn't think of that either. Fortunately the ones in the movie don't have the quite the same...addictive quality. :folder:

well

they drive you insane... obviously!

:down:

p.s.

The way Henry Jones jr. kissed Marion at the wedding makes me feel sorry for old man and for Marion. Does he actually love her?

Apparently Ford

never had rave reviews as a kissable leading man in Hollywood.

I remember an amusing article many years ago rating

him as one of the worst kissers in Hollywood.

p.s.

Apparently Ford

never had rave reviews as a kissable leading man in Hollywood.

I remember an amusing article many years ago rating

him as one of the worst kissers in Hollywood.

Well may be... but that seems no problem for him in previous Indy films. WTF?

I saw it TWICE in a row (sneaked into a later presentation)

In the first screening I was too focused on the damn score and didn't pay attention to some of the dialogue so got confused at the end.

In the second screening I enjoyed the whole thing a lot more.

I liked it overall

Just got back from seeing it a second time. While the first time I loved it, I never considered it to be in the same league as the originals. While it still isn't as good as the originals, I think it is totally in their league, and can proudly be proclaimed a part of the Indiana Jones Series. With a couple more viewings, I think it even has the potential to be as good/better than ToD, though I doubt it.

I never really gave it an entire review, so here it is:

So the film begins wonderfully. The titles were as new and different as ToD's were, and it was brilliantly shot. I love the fade to the mound of dirt from the Paramount logo. When JW's music first enters, after the US soldiers are shot, it is amazing. Its my second my wanted unreleased cue. And I love how the camera moves past the American flag as the Soviets are driving into the camp (weren't some people angry that the flag was digitally placed in that scene to increase the sense of patriotism?). I LOVE the who build up until we finally see Indy's face, the cinematography is really wonderful here, and Ford's acting is superb as he utters his first line: "Russians!" There are three brilliant character entrances here, the first beings Indy's (throw the hat out, don't show his face for about 10-15 seconds of almost glimpsing him). The next is Irina's entrance. The cinematography, while good, is not the main cause of this great entrance--it is more the characteristics of Irina. Her great makeup and hair, the sunglasses that just scream evil, JW's evil and cold theme for her, and the cold look that Blanchett delivers WONDERFULLY as she steps out of the car. We know she's a big baddie from first sight, and I think she's the greatest villain in the Indy series (better even that Belloq). After some talk that is interesting and an introduction to the character of Mac, we enter the warehouse (as the giant doors open, a big '5' is revealed on one and a big '1' is revealed on another (Area 51). And we get that nice Ark Theme cameo by Williams. There's an intruging plot start about aliens, and then the action begins. And it really really delivers. I LOVE the Ark cameo, that was a stroke of brilliance. Love the jet thing, especially when it burns those three Soviets. One thing I've always loved about Indiana Jones films was that they always come of with the most creative ways to kill off the baddies. This was the first of 4 brilliant deaths in this film. I also love Ford's expression once it stops. Reminded me of his face when he barely survived the fall of the cliff in LC. The doomsday scene is very enjoyable, though a bit pointless, still TONS of fun. I love how Indy survives that major refridgerator drop, it is the same corniness we loved as Indy and Willie survived on the life raft, out of the plane. Overall, it is an action sequence that deserves to be mentioned next to the Idol's Temple, Club Obi-Wan, and Indy's First Adventure.

There one scene that I think deserves mention: the scene where the new headmaster says "It looks like you've reach the point where life stops giving things and starts taking them." I think that this was one of the main themes in the film--that this is not true. In the end, Indy gets a wife and a son, despite the "point in life he's reached."

OK, cut to the third great entrance of the film--Mutt's. I love how we see those two agents appear out of the fog, just some food for thought that Indy is being followed, followed by Mutt's entrance through the fog. It is an iconic entrance to say the least, and I'm not totally sure why, but it was something that ALMOST felt nostalgic. Also, I really feel that Shia was a brilliant actor in this film, one of the more talented child actors I've seen. What's funny is how he is so humble in all the interviews about Indy 4, but in the film, he's sort of a smart ass. We've got some funny scenes with Mutt and Indy talking, and then the second major action piece. I love it--what with Indy going in one end of the car and coming out the other, with the nice tribute to Marcus, and JW's great swashbuckling music in the background. Love how that student casually asked Indy for an answer to a homework question.

OK, next, the flight to Akator. Not a very signifigant scene, but I think the classic Indy plane thing deserves mention. And then the grave robber scene. Apart from revealing some good plot points, this scene was another nice action scene. I love how Indy pops up and blows the dart into the back of the guy's throat. That was the second of the 4 creative deaths in the film. And JW's percussion music is great.

Then we have the "Spell of the Skull" scene, a great moment in terms of acting by Blanchett, and some more plot points. Also, we have another nice line. Blanchett says something about wanting to know the knowledge, and Indy says "Be careful what you wish more, because you might get it." Well, Blanchett wanted it, she got it, and we all know what happened at the end...

Next was Marion's entrance, which was expected, but still appreciated. I think that out of all the actors in the film, she was probably the weakest--not that she was bad in ANY WAY, but she just wasn't as good as in Raiders. But still, she was brilliant. So I guess that would be my first criticism of the film, but it is minor. I love the scene where Indy discovers his son, I think it's hilarious how they're talking calmly as they're sinking. I also love how Indy starts explaining the difference between quick sand and whatever they're in, that was great. And the snake part was hilarious as well. Just a hilarious scene altogether.

OK, next, the Jungle Chase. This is a great action scene. The cinematography is great here, especially when Indy's car and the Soviets' car are seperated by the bushes, and once the bush clears, Indy is suddenly leaping towards them. That was great. Shia has some great stunts with his sword here, and I love how the people (and the skull) keeps switching vehicles and hands. As for the monkey scene, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't think it makes the film any better or any worse. It doesn't hurt nor help, in my opinion. And that's probably my favorite new cue by JW. I love it, but I wish we had the beggining. The beggining part, starting with the variation of Marion's theme, is my most wanted unreleased Indy 4 cue. My second complaint of the film is another minor one: I wish Indy had a bit more action during the Jungle Chase. I have nothing against Shia or his stunts, they were all very entertaining. But it seemed like Shia was the Indy of this scene, because he was doing all the crazy stunts. Instead of having Indy going under the truck like in Raiders, we had Shia sword fighting with one leg on one truck and the other on another. Like I said, I loved all of Shia's stunts, and I have nothing against Shia, it's just that he isn't Indy. Mind you, Indy did have plenty of great stunts--leaping from one truck to the other, some great punches here and there, and him being nearly shoved off the cliff by Irina. But I would have prefered him doing some crazier stuff, along with Shia. But like I said, it's a very minor complaint, and I still LOVED this scene overall.

Next, my favorite scene: the ants! These were the scariest (and the best) of the creepy crawlers in the entire series, in my opinion, mainly because they were actually agressive, unlike the spiders, bugs, and rats, who were really just minding their own business most of the time (the snakes not as much, but still, they were much less agressive than the ants). We have creative death number 3, which is my favorite death of the film, where that Soviet is totally covered in ants and then carried into the giant ant hole. Brilliant! And JW's chaotic and crazy music really really adds to the scene and is a pleasure to listen to by itself, as well.

Next is the waterfall scenes, which were entertaining, but nothing special. I liked them, but they weren't anything amazing compared to the previous action scenes.

Then they enter the kingdom, where most of the plot is wrapped up very nicely. I love the storyline with the aliens from another dimension, that really was different. How the spaceship was underneath the entire time was great, how Blanchett "got what she wished for," and her eyes caught on fire and she died (the final of the 4 creative deaths). There was also some great action and exciting sequences, with stuff that was wondrous and adventourous. And I must say, the views from the place with the sand were beautiful, I loved it. I think that the ending, which was rather dissapointing to me the first time, really pulled through the second. I loved every second of it.

And then there's the resolution. I wasn't too keen on Marion and Indy getting married the first time I saw the film, but it really worked and complemented the theme about life contuning to give even as you get older. And the ending with Mutt and Indy's hat couldn't have been better. As Delorean said, it was like they were saying that this is not the Mutt Jones Series--it's Indiana Jones, and he's here to stay!

Overall, a knockout film. I loved every second of it, Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford really pulled through for us. I was not disapointed at all! All of the originals are 5/5 stars in my book, and this is 4.5/5. But with repeated viewings, it could possibly rise up the charts.

There one scene that I think deserves mention: the scene where the new headmaster says "It looks like you've reach the point where life stops giving things and starts taking them." I think that this was one of the main themes in the film--that this is not true. In the end, Indy gets a wife and a son, despite the "point in life he's reached."

I liked this aspect of the film too. Life pretty much balanced everything out for him.