The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I seem to remember thinking that his pants ripped for some reason. Odd joke, in any case.

I also thought that.

And the next shot of him cutting Mutt wraps could have been perfect to show his ripped pants, and get a few laughs.

But then it didnt happen, and well indy would have ripped pants for the rest of the movie...

I thought it was going to suggest that maybe he hurted himself (I didn't think about ripped pants) or something. I don't mind it. I like such unexplained moments in the movies, I don't have to have everyting given explicitely.

Yeah, I seem to remember thinking that his pants ripped for some reason. Odd joke, in any case.

I also thought that.

And the next shot of him cutting Mutt wraps could have been perfect to show his ripped pants, and get a few laughs.

But then it didnt happen, and well indy would have ripped pants for the rest of the movie...

I thought it was going to suggest that maybe he hurted himself (I didn't think about ripped pants) or something. I don't mind it. I like such unexplained moments in the movies, I don't have to have everyting given explicitely.

If it's something subtle, that's one thing, but they even went so far as to have Mutt say "Oh, sh**." You don't set something up that blatantly and do nothing about it. Did he just say that because he felt like it? Come on. I flipped through the book at Wal-Mart, and it looks like that doesn't even explain it. I felt like I had missed something.

On the other end of the spectrum, something I liked that was subtle: Everybody probably noticed Indy tossing Dovchenko's cap back to him in the warehouse, but I didn't notice until the second time that Dovchenko does the same thing to Indy when they leave the tent after they make him look into the skull's eyes. Nice little touch, and I get a real kick out of it now.

Yeah I noticed that too, one of the, eh, 'subtler' moments in the film?

Anyway, with the knife, each time I thought it was suggested he opened the knife in such a way that it cut into his flesh or something, but then the Cronenberg moment stays out and he's free of the rope. Quite sloppy anyway but it's one of the more minor problems of the film let's say.

I assumed at the time that it meant he'd accidentally cut into the jacket, but it's never developed and is definitely a minor problem.

Here's another: when the doors to Area 51 are blown open at the beginning, are we meant to think that Irina did it with her mind?

Here's another: when the doors to Area 51 are blown open at the beginning, are we meant to think that Irina did it with her mind?

I assume so ,then she lost her powers for the rest of the movie

Another thing I didn't get was when Mutt passed the knife to Indy, and it landed on his shoulder, and he looked at it. Everybody in the audience started chuckling. Was it just because it was on the brink of being thrown out the side of the truck? Or was my audience interpreting something incorrectly? Or was I?

Another thing I didn't get was when Mutt passed the knife to Indy, and it landed on his shoulder, and he looked at it. Everybody in the audience started chuckling. Was it just because it was on the brink of being thrown out the side of the truck? Or was my audience interpreting something incorrectly? Or was I?

I thought it's exactly the thing - I was expecting the knife to fall down and out of the truck. The same goes with the knife - the opening sound and Indys reaction made me thing he might have hurt himself or just got scared he hurt himself, but eventually he realised everything was ok.

I thought that so, but in other forums someone who spoke russian said that irina shouts Davai! which means "Do it"

So something charges could have been put or the button to open the doors is somewhere else, and the sparks only mean that the electric instalation does not work well.

But il liked the Dark Lord of the Sith idea <_<

I thought that so, but in other forums someone who spoke russian said that irina shouts Davai! which means "Do it"

Yes, she did. There was nothing unusual in opening the door.

Well, the biggest logic problem to me is Irina trying to push the car Indy, Mac and Ox plus the Skull are in over the cliff. Unless if it was just a scare tactic, I dont see the use of throwing the artifact you want down a few thousand feet. And then after the ant sequence, why do the Russians pull out the ropes and try to climb down the cliff without attempting to get the Skull from our heroes first?

Burga - who only realized these on his 3rd viewing.

There is no problem with her trying to push Indy's car from the cliff, because it is she who has the artefact at that point. Moments later Mutt and the monkeys come to the rescue and he takes the skull from her while she's distracted.

Karol - who saw it twice yesterday

There is no problem with her trying to push Indy's car from the cliff, because it is she who has the artefact at that point. Moments later Mutt and the monkeys come to the rescue and he takes the skull from her while she's distracted.

I tought she need Jones and Ox to find the entry to the lost city? Isn't it?

Indeed you are right. :)

Well, I suppose that worse comes to worst, Jones already told her the approximate location on the map, and she knows Ox's riddle too.

There is no problem with her trying to push

They're too dangerous to be kept alive!

Some of you think Irina opened the door with her mind? Ha!

You must have missed the soldier standing to the left of the mechanism with the control that sets off the explosion.

Neil

You must have missed the soldier standing to the left of the mechanism with the control that sets off the explosion.

Neil

Precisely

Apparently if you don't pay attention to the film it's the best damn movie ever made.

Best - no. Not worse than TLC and ToD - yes!

Neil

Excuse me, but that soldier does not move a frigging hair. I have seen the movie several times. The 1st time though i assumed some soldier did something. They do, but OFF-screen.

Was that so wild an idea? It comes just a minute after showing irina trying to affect indy's mind?

Excuse me again, but this is the same realistic franchise where a freak like Mola Ran rips the heart of a person out and the guy is still alive.

Excuse me again, but this is the same realistic franchise where a freak like Mola Ran rips the heart of a person out and the guy is still alive.

This was probably a fake ripping, done only for public's sake, just like these magical surgery operations in The Philippines (or wherever they are performed) ;)

Neil

Excuse me, but that soldier does not move a frigging hair. I have seen the movie several times. The 1st time though i assumed some soldier did something. They do, but OFF-screen.

Was that so wild an idea? It comes just a minute after showing irina trying to affect indy's mind?

I just assumed they had already prepared the control. It's not that big a deal.

Neil

I've seen the movie several times and it's pretty obvious they blast the door.

Jeez...

I've seen the movie several times and it's pretty obvious they blast the door.

Jeez...

Mmmm are you masoquist? unless you count 2 times as 'several' ;)

Just for the record, i believe the blasted door explanation, specially when i already know irina tolds someone to do something. I'm not trying to convince anyone here.

Its just that in a sense it was not a crazy idea from a fool. Specially seeing the franchise baggage and the film dealing with mind control and so.

But i cant tell you, the soldier next to the fuse box does not move. Some one press the button to explode some charges or pushes a 'open doors' button, somewhere Off screen.

I seriously wouldn't mind an Indy V. There are a couple of things I'd like to see in an Indy film. I want some real snow action, not just shots outside the Raven. I'd also like to see a fight on top of a building in the city or something like that. I believe that was in the fan-script that had Excalibur, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't been able to get that out of my head. Sounds like it would be really cool. Something akin to the beginning of the "Staff of Moses" fan script would be pretty cool too.

Just keep Mutt as the supporting character (you can give him a love interest, though, and send 'em off right), and not be worse than KOTCS, maybe cut back the CG and add some depth...it would be great. Just do it right away, and set it in either '58 or '59. '60s is just too far out. I don't think I can handle that (of course, that's what I said about

aliens

. Do we still have to use these things?).

I seriously wouldn't mind an Indy V. There are a couple of things I'd like to see in an Indy film. I want some real snow action, not just shots outside the Raven. I'd also like to see a fight on top of a building in the city or something like that. I believe that was in the fan-script that had Excalibur, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't been able to get that out of my head. Sounds like it would be really cool. Something akin to the beginning of the "Staff of Moses" fan script would be pretty cool too.

Just keep Mutt as the supporting character (you can give him a love interest, though, and send 'em off right), and not be worse than KOTCS, maybe cut back the CG and add some depth...it would be great. Just do it right away, and set it in either '58 or '59. '60s is just too far out. I don't think I can handle that (of course, that's what I said about

aliens

. Do we still have to use these things?).

I'd also add this: give Indy a couple more crazy stunts, despite his old age

Other than that, I pretty much agree.

indy4 - who would like to see a fight on an airplane (flying low to the ground), assuming it could be done realistic enough (and I'm not just talking about CGI)

indy4 - who would like to see a fight on an airplane (flying low to the ground), assuming it could be done realistic enough

It comes just a minute after showing irina trying to affect indy's mind?

And failing....

Exactly! She claims to be a psychic and can't do it the one time she's on screen. That's some psychic. I'm as psychic as her.

Neil

And failing....

Exactly! She claims to be a psychic and can't do it the one time she's on screen. That's some psychic. I'm as psychic as her.

Neil

in the old days ,Spielberg would have had Irena demonstrate her powers on an incidental character who would have died a horrible death in the process

Technically, them

aliens

were actually

interdimensional beings

doesn't change the facts that they were

aliens

now does it.

and on this one point I agree with Neil, the psychic abilities of Iriana should have been scrapped, or intergrated better in the film. It would have bettered the movie. It also would have mad a better ending

that she was absorbing the aliens powers at the end but was taking in too much and then she dies, which should have been done by conventional effects rather than CGI.

if there is a bright side to all this at least John's declining abilities parallel Spielberg's.

My biggest actual complaint about Skull is we did not get a gruesome death pushing the PG-13 limits..

I was disappointed by that as well. I was fully expecting Spalko's head to explode at the end but it just didn't happen.

And failing....

Neil

in the old days ,Spielberg would have had Irena demonstrate her powers on an incidental character who would have died a horrible death in the process

I think she thought more of herself as a psychic, than she actually was and her inability to look through Jones only proved that.

My biggest actual complaint about Skull is we did not get a gruesome death pushing the PG-13 limits..

Or as I mentioned earlier, a more gruesome ending for the ant sequence.

The pre-Schindler's List Spielberg might have come up with something more gruesome, although he did provide us with that delightful scene in TLW of Eddie being torn apart by both T-Rex.

I may not be the first one to link to this article, but I thought it was worthy of the potential redundance.

And this is a reaction to the article that adds virtually nothing.

"We did not generate whips or hats," he said, cracking a smile. "Let me tell you that."

mmm, whats the Ant-transported-hat then? :blink:

I finally saw the movie by other means since I'm not sure gonna see it in theaters or be able too. It wasn't too bad definitely is CEOTK meets Indiana Jones. I enjoyed it for the most part but at the same time I felt it was rushed especially considering how much freaking time they had to work on the movie. I really hope they don't make any more...