The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

For all you people who complain about spoilers, you need to direct your anger toward Paramount because the TV previews for KOTCS gives away a major plot point.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you people who complain about spoilers, you need to direct your anger toward Paramount because the TV previews for KOTCS gives away a major plot point.

I know, I saw that on television last night.

"Like father, like son".

That made me ANGRY!

Listening to a rip with quite reasonable quality of the complete Jungle Chase and it is a marvelous piece of music.

Any links or otherwise to the ripped music?

My feeling on that is that they shouldn't have done it . . . but also that anyone who cares enough about the movie to not want to be spoiled probably saw it in the theatre, and if they didn't, they sorta can't complain too much.

Interestingly, the fantastic, classic Williams motif in Entering the Base is very similar to the main theme from the 360/PS3 WWII game Blazing Angels. Incidentally, I've often thought that the score from that game was very much in Williams' style, not onlike Giacchino's earlier Medal of Honor scores.

And while the album version of Jungle Chase was a very good cue, the complete version is absolutely fantastic, and a classic Williams action cue. Especially the blaring trumpets and militaristic action motif towards the end bring to mind the energy of Raiders. This is much much better than the vast majority of action cues composed for the SW prequels.

I've just ripped the side channels, and while the front is chock full of sfx, the rear is incredibly clean, with only the really powerful sfx showing, and some of that could probably be removed.

I haven't heard the version mentioned above, but I'm assuming that it's just a strait rip, with no cleaning or anything,

I'm going to combine this with the OST cue and do the necessary volume fiddles to do a very clean rip of this. Might even be done tonight.

What is interesting about the complete "Jungle Chase" cue is that it is actually very edited. Most of the editing is pretty smooth, with one major exception, but if you try to line it up with the OST "Jungle Chase", you will find that there is a whole bunch of editing in the film version. Only one place really sounds bad. It does make me wonder, though, how much more of the "Jungle Chase" we don't have, outside of both the OST and the film version.

Well I've done an edit, and we have a staggeringly clean cue. SFX are now minimal environmental noises and the occasional 'ping' or bang, although I tried to dampen the worst of them by fiddling with the channels a bit, and a couple of times I've edited a few seconds out if it's really big.

There's one edit I think is a little sudden, but I have steadied the volume using another program, and I'd have to do that again to make that alteration. The other point is that the few unreleased seconds of Mutt and the Monkey are very very quiet in the rear channel, and I really couldn't be bothered to find that exact moment in the front (could be the same for all I know), so that transition is a bit more juddery, but I don't think it distracts.

The sequence is now 8:40, and I'll upload it now. You know what to do if you want to hear it :rolleyes:

My feeling on that is that they shouldn't have done it . . . but also that anyone who cares enough about the movie to not want to be spoiled probably saw it in the theatre, and if they didn't, they sorta can't complain too much.

Yes I feel the same way but apparently there are those who disagree.

First, I think it was stupid to reveal a spoiler like that.

However, this is not as bad as most situations. The difference is that Indy 4 was just in theatres, so everybody who enjoys those types of movies will have seen it and the DVD commercial. People who are either too young or not alive yet will not be spoiled, because they will not see the commercial.

However, there is still the issue of people who just didn't get around to seeing it, but I think that given a) the fact that this is Indiana Jones we're talking about and b) the hype surronding the film, most of the people who wanted to see it would have.

Lastly, casual viewers who have not seen the film yet but plan on seeing it soon might already suspect the relation. I know that when I told several minor minor fans that LaBoeuf was in the film, many immediately asked if he would be playing Indy's son. In fact, I believe it was rumored on IMDB for some time that he was indeed going to play Indy's son.

None of these reasons justify placing such an obvious spoiler in the commercial, it was quite a boneheaded move, but it is not quite as bad as posting a spoiler to an older film on this board.

Anyone else waiting for this edit - I'm at work now but I'll get the link through soon.

I'm told there's some music in the pre-viz sequence on the DVD. I'll try getting hold of this in the next few days.

First, I think it was stupid to reveal a spoiler like that.

However, this is not as bad as most situations. The difference is that Indy 4 was just in theatres, so everybody who enjoys those types of movies will have seen it and the DVD commercial. People who are either too young or not alive yet will not be spoiled, because they will not see the commercial.

However, there is still the issue of people who just didn't get around to seeing it, but I think that given a) the fact that this is Indiana Jones we're talking about and b) the hype surronding the film, most of the people who wanted to see it would have.

Lastly, casual viewers who have not seen the film yet but plan on seeing it soon might already suspect the relation. I know that when I told several minor minor fans that LaBoeuf was in the film, many immediately asked if he would be playing Indy's son. In fact, I believe it was rumored on IMDB for some time that he was indeed going to play Indy's son.

None of these reasons justify placing such an obvious spoiler in the commercial, it was quite a boneheaded move, but it is not quite as bad as posting a spoiler to an older film on this board.

I thought he was Indy's son the whole time. I was confused when it was supposed to be a shocker in the film.

Even after you saw Mutt and Indy meet for the first time at the train station, even after hearing Mutt call him Dr. Jones for a while?

It wasn't that hard to figure out. A 20 year old sidekick and the return of Marion in a film set about 20 years after Raiders. It isn't rocket science.

Well I've done an edit, and we have a staggeringly clean cue. SFX are now minimal environmental noises and the occasional 'ping' or bang, although I tried to dampen the worst of them by fiddling with the channels a bit, and a couple of times I've edited a few seconds out if it's really big.

There's one edit I think is a little sudden, but I have steadied the volume using another program, and I'd have to do that again to make that alteration. The other point is that the few unreleased seconds of Mutt and the Monkey are very very quiet in the rear channel, and I really couldn't be bothered to find that exact moment in the front (could be the same for all I know), so that transition is a bit more juddery, but I don't think it distracts.

The sequence is now 8:40, and I'll upload it now. You know what to do if you want to hear it ;)

Just wondering, if sfx appears in segments which are also on the OST version, why don't you just track in the OST?

I've had a stab at improving the edit - far less SFX ('pings' are gone!), some better transitions, and a bit more OST material included (including that horrible monkeys insert which doesn't flow well in the movie anyway).

I would hope it at least temporarily satisfies our craving just a bit more ROTFLMAO

So, I watched the DVD last night with family who hadn't seen the movie yet. The first comment after the movie began?

"That's not how you start an Indiana Jones movie!"

(In reference to Hound Dog and the hot rod - no problems with the prairie dogs.)

So, I watched the DVD last night with family who hadn't seen the movie yet. The first comment after the movie began?

"That's not how you start an Indiana Jones movie!"

(In reference to Hound Dog and the hot rod - no problems with the prairie dogs.)

The opening set to "Hound Dog" is my favorite part of the film.

So how many people rushed out and bought the DVD of KOTCS?

I know I didn't.

If you had told me 10 years ago that a new Indiana Jones film would be coming out and I wouldn't buy the DVD I would have said you were crazy.

Neil

I bought the 2-disc DVD.

Believe it or not (I'm sure you'll opt for the latter), even the Tarzan bit seems somehow slightly more tolerable. My opinion of the film certainly hasn't lowered--if anything, I'm appreciating it more, including the cinematography: while there are still ways it could improve, I'm realizing how good it looks even beyond the crypt sequence.

I still find the film thoroughly enjoyable, and I'm enjoying the unreleased music. :lol:

I bought the DVD today. Haven't rewatched the movie yet -- I'm doing that Saturday night with some friends who were unable to see it in the cinema -- but I've started to watch the behind-the-scenes material, which is pretty good so far.

I also skimmed the movie a bit, and it looks pretty damn good, transfer-wise. In fact, I'm not sure it doesn't look better on DVD than it looked at the theatre. Something about the cinematography seems better suited to DVD. Again, that's just from a bit of skimming, not from watching the whole thing.

My opinions can and do change from one viewing to the next (usually over the course of years, rather than months), so I'll admit the possibility that this time, I'll hate the movie . . . but I doubt it will happen that way. I saw it three times theatrically, and my final assessment was that it was a film that had many flaws, but a film that succeeded in spite of them. Maybe it doesn't measure up to Raiders or even Temple of Doom, but I think it's probably as good as Last Crusade, and that's plenty good enough for me to embrace it with no qualms.

Every Potter movie has improved on the last for me, but none have come to a level where I consider them great cinema.

I haven't bought the DVD - partly because I'm in the 'movie was ok, not great' camp', and also because I just don't buy movies on DVD any more for various reasons.

So how many people rushed out and bought the DVD of KOTCS?

I know I didn't.

If you had told me 10 years ago that a new Indiana Jones film would be coming out and I wouldn't buy the DVD I would have said you were crazy.

Neil

Same here.

I should be picking up the DVD tomorrow.

And then immediately throwing it onto the ground?

Neil

What was the point of saying that?

And coming from the person who demanded all posts in the other Indy thread to be 100% on topic or else...