The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God, Luke. Are you serious? You're like the Joseph McCarthy of anti-George Lucasism. I was "yawning" because I don't care about a fancy looking DVD case, not because I hate all things Indiana Jones related.

Oh my God, Luke. Are you serious? You're like the Joseph McCarthy of anti-George Lucasism. I was "yawning" because I don't care about a fancy looking DVD case, not because I hate all things Indiana Jones related.

joseph-mccarthy.jpg

"Are you, or have you ever been, a member of WETA?"

joseph-mccarthy.jpg

"Are you, are have you ever been, a member of WETA?"

:D

:huh:

Hold on on your butts or hats:

Lucas is also considering what to do about the fifth instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise, which he has produced from the outset. The most recent film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, has taken almost $750m (£375m) at the international box office, and the whip-snapping archeologist remains in high demand, even though his own days as a whippersnapper are behind him (Harrison Ford is two years older than Lucas).

“We were hoping for box-office figures like that, which is, ultimately, with inflation, what the others have done, within 10%,” Lucas explains. “So, we squeaked up there. Really, though, it was a challenge getting the story together and getting everybody to agree on it. Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying ‘I want it this way’ and ‘I want it that way’, whereas, when I first did Jones, I just said, ‘We’ll do it this way’ — and that was much easier. But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it’s a little hard on a practical level.

“If I can come up with another idea that they like, we’ll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn’t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we’d like to take. I’m in the future; Steven’s in the past. He’s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I’m trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It’s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we’ll see where we are able to take the next one.”

Source

I'm dissapointed with Lucas as he is trying to change the core of Indiana Jones.

At least, I liked the last one.

It seems i'm not buying the upcoming Indy-DVD Package...again :angry:

"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn't that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we'd like to take. I'm in the future; Steven's in the past. He's trying to drag it back to the way they were, I'm trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It's kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we'll see where we are able to take the next one."

Haha, this explains a lot. Too bad Lucas's idea of the "future" is horrible plots and bad, overused CGI.

"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we’ll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn’t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we’d like to take. I’m in the future; Steven’s in the past. He’s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I’m trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It’s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we’ll see where we are able to take the next one.”

Wow. If I didn't already despise Lucas, I f*cking do now. Sorry for ever doubting you Steve, I should have known not to.

the snake pit sequence .Without it the movie gains one star

Loose the fencing sequence and Tarzan and I agree.

The snake sequence could've been a highlight, if it wasn't for the dire dialogue.

I wish so bad that Spielberg has his way, if another Indy film comes up. And that's coming from a HUGE Lucas admirer and Indy 4 fan.

I wonder if there's anybody we can send e-mails to?

“If I can come up with another idea that they like, we’ll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn’t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we’d like to take. I’m in the future; Steven’s in the past. He’s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I’m trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It’s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we’ll see where we are able to take the next one.”

Judging from these quotes, Lucas wants really to go prequel-style for Indy as well, but I'm pretty confident Ford and Spielberg don't see exactly the same way as their fellow. It's more likely in the end Lucas will produce a TV series à là Young Indy with Mutt as the main character.

However, Lucas is saying it all: Spielberg did Indy 4 just for the fun of doing an adventure romp in the style of the older films, while he had different views about the film. I guess they now have incompatible point of views about the character and the style to adopt.

the snake pit sequence .Without it the movie gains one star

Loose the fencing sequence and Tarzan and I agree.

The snake sequence could've been a highlight, if it wasn't for the dire dialogue.

Don't forget the fridge scene......

You know, I actually didn't mind the fridge bit. Gave me a good laugh. I still had enough goodwill for the film at that point to go along for the ride.

I was still in the frame of mind of the eerie fake suburbia. It was over before I could think how moronic it was.

I was taken out of the film when Ford first appeared on screen because he looked and sounded so old and tired when he delivered his first few lines. So it was impossible for me to believe he was running and climbing up close to the roof of the wharehouse.

At least the fake suburbia was something the govt. actually did during their nuclear testing phases. That brought the film back to some sense of "reality", although the mushroom cloud washed away the sillyness of that fridge scene.

the mushroom cloud was a very cool little scene.

I wish someone would make a nuclear holocaust movie, one for this age.

i liked the snake pit sequence.

Monkeys et al. ...e er... :o

Its not really that Lucas wanted to go overused CGI-Prequel style.

I think he just wanted to make the movie with nowadays effects, while Spielberg wanted to make the old style effects.

I still say that the vine-swinging/monkeys bit could have been more tolerable at the least had they used more practical effects. For me, I didn't have any problem with the idea of Mutt swinging around. It's just that he was so clearly not, and against a so-clearly CG background, that it felt kinda lame. It would not have taken much effort to, if nothing else, build a set for the jungle canopy, let him actually take a swing or two, and fill in the gaps with CG.

If you want to make it even just a little better, when Spalko throws the monkey, don't follow it down the cliff. :P

I'm not quite sure why people are so disgusted with the idea of the monkeys. What's so ridiculous about a bunch of monkeys getting riled up by a human and chasing/following him?

Lucas is also considering what to do about the fifth instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise, which he has produced from the outset. The most recent film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, has taken almost $750m (£375m) at the international box office, and the whip-snapping archeologist remains in high demand, even though his own days as a whippersnapper are behind him (Harrison Ford is two years older than Lucas).

“We were hoping for box-office figures like that, which is, ultimately, with inflation, what the others have done, within 10%,” Lucas explains. “So, we squeaked up there. Really, though, it was a challenge getting the story together and getting everybody to agree on it. Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying ‘I want it this way’ and ‘I want it that way’, whereas, when I first did Jones, I just said, ‘We’ll do it this way’ — and that was much easier. But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it’s a little hard on a practical level.

Source

I'm dissapointed with Lucas as he is trying to change the core of Indiana Jones.

At least, I liked the last one.

It seems i'm not buying the upcoming Indy-DVD Package...again :P

Wow....he's really trying to maintain the public perception of himself. Admirable, sticking to one's guns.

I have no problems with the frigde/swinging monkey scenes, except that Indy would have been killed by radiation from the bomb once he stepped out of the fridge. Still, I'm willling to ignore that in an IJ film.

Oh, and they wanted to use real monkeys for part of the monkey scene, but they weren't allowed to bring any animals to Hawaii, where it was shot.

I think that the swinging monkeys scene was horrendous, and made even worse by the score. The variation on the Indy theme (inverted?) underlining this terrible terrible moment.

I still say that the vine-swinging/monkeys bit could have been more tolerable at the least had they used more practical effects. For me, I didn't have any problem with the idea of Mutt swinging around. It's just that he was so clearly not, and against a so-clearly CG background, that it felt kinda lame. It would not have taken much effort to, if nothing else, build a set for the jungle canopy, let him actually take a swing or two, and fill in the gaps with CG.

There was not a CGI Shia, though.

That pretty much confirms my suspicions. Lucas insisted on aliens, but both Steven and Harrison didn't much like the idea and neither do I. Hopefully if another Indiana Jones film is made, Steven and Harrison will have more of a say. I think that they do have the right ideas about things, but indeed Lucas seems to be getting somewhat lost. And that's coming from someone who did like the Star Wars prequels and Indy IV to a fair extent! :P

I liked the snake pit sequence as well. The worst two bits for me were the fridge and Tarzan, but neither were bad enough to destroy the whole movie for me, I still like it.

Are you serious? Say what you will about KOTCS, it certainly did not get to near the level of continuity and character botching of the prequels.

There was not a CGI Shia, though.

No, there wasn't, to their credit. The rest of it is bad enough.

You know, I actually didn't mind the fridge bit. Gave me a good laugh. I still had enough goodwill for the film at that point to go along for the ride.

It was a hoot.

I wonder who was responsible for the snake pit sequence .Without it the movie gains one star

What's wrong with the snake pit?

I wonder who was responsible for the snake pit sequence .Without it the movie gains one star

What's wrong with the snake pit?

Indy's annoying, pedantic dialogue. ("Actually, it's not quicksand..."). The music's total failure to convey a feeling of sinking. The absurdity of using a snake as a rope when any branch or vine would have been more effective. Indy telling Oxley to get help. Just the fact that Marion named her son "Henry."

Indy's annoying, pedantic dialogue. ("Actually, it's not quicksand...").

That was hilarious.

The music's total failure to convey a feeling of sinking.

:D Music is supposed to capture the mood and emotion of a scene. The mood of that scene was a comic one, which was reflected in the music.

The absurdity of using a snake as a rope when any branch or vine would have been more effective.

Okay, I'll agree with you there. But the part with the snake was still damn funny.

Indy telling Oxley to get help.

That was rather predictable, but nothing too far fetched. It was a big mess up on Indy's part, I think it would have been better if the Russians just found them without Oxley's help.

Just the fact that Marion named her son "Henry."

:unsure: Huh....?

What kind of tool names her son after the man who ran out on her? Granted, this is an issue I have with the pathetic love story, not the snake pit scene so much.

And I didn't feel any rising tension in the music as Indy and Marion sunk. Okay, it doesn't have to literally represent sinking, but it shouldn't sound like a light chase scene. In fact, it sounds a lot like "Basket Chase."

Indy's annoying, pedantic dialogue. ("Actually, it's not quicksand...").

That was hilarious.

Well, I have to disagree. Nobody goes on academic rants when they're on the verge of death, especially Indiana Jones. Maybe the line would have been tolerable if Ford's delivery had been believable, but his calm, professorial demeanor kills it.

the mushroom cloud was a very cool little scene.

I wish someone would make a nuclear holocaust movie, one for this age.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is getting made into a movie right now.

Not necessarily about nuclear holocaust, but the repercussions are certainly visible.