Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource

Henry B

6 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Oh cool! I figured it had to be some dedicated fan from this forum haha. Seriously though. Those TOD tracks are terrific. “The Old Priest/The Child Returns” has some of my favorite unreleased moments. More of the eerie choir. The terrific haunting percussion when Indy gets the Sankara scroll from the child. The way the “Slave Childrens Crusade” builds into the Elephant Ride/Short Round theme fanfare. Williams magic. So thanks for sharing! 🙏🙏🙏

You're welcome! I had lots of fun editing and uploading everything to YT. Hearing those cues without sfx really makes your desire for an expanded release soar. 

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Whaaaaa?? For reals? I didn’t know that. I’ve only heard DVD rips with a bunch of SFX on them.

I will say this same YouTube Channel has a Last Crusade playlist but all the missing/unreleased cues are from the famous “Toilet bowl” bootleg. But the TOD one hasn’t sounded like this before. 

Yeah, I posted a bunch restored cues using the iso edited with mockups to VIMEO a while back.

1 hour ago, Roll the Bones said:

Yeah, I posted a bunch restored cues using the iso edited with mockups to VIMEO a while back.

Ah! Excellent. Thanks for these. I didn’t join until the forum until 2020. I’ll have to go back and check these out.

On 16/08/2022 at 2:34 PM, WampaRat said:

Apologies if these were shared earlier in this thread. (In fact they could be from someone on this forum lol) But this is the best quality I’ve ever heard any of these unreleased cues from TOD before. Hardly any soundFX from what I can tell…

This “Mola Rams Speech” cue. Holy Crap. That choir…

This was taken from Music Of John Williams Special it has the same edit that shortens the percussion section at the  beginning so it's not the full cue  

4 hours ago, jacksparrow900 said:

This was taken from Music Of John Williams Special it has the same edit that shortens the percussion section at the  beginning so it's not the full cue  

So the beginning is trimmed a bit then?

• 4 months later...

So yesterday I was looking at the atmos rip for Raiders to try and see if I can isolate the temple percussion insert a little better and I noticed something peculiar about the track before. Right after Indy snags the Idol, the cue fades out(which is for whatever reason cut short on the '08 release)and in the film rip I hear what sounds like 3 instrumental noises of some sort in 3 different spots. First one happens at 8 seconds in, second one at 11 seconds, and the third at 13 seconds even though theres rumbling sfx. Has anyone else heard this before? I don't think its a sound effect from the temple, because it sounds like instrument/accidental stage noise. Thought I'd share because its interesting. Also, I didn't amplify anything so you're really gonna have to listen for it.

17 hours ago, Brando said:

So yesterday I was looking at the atmos rip for Raiders to try and see if I can isolate the temple percussion insert a little better and I noticed something peculiar about the track before. Right after Indy snags the Idol, the cue fades out(which is for whatever reason cut short on the '08 release)and in the film rip I hear what sounds like 3 instrumental noises of some sort in 3 different spots. First one happens at 8 seconds in, second one at 11 seconds, and the third at 13 seconds even though theres rumbling sfx. Has anyone else heard this before? I don't think its a sound effect from the temple, because it sounds like instrument/accidental stage noise. Thought I'd share because its interesting. Also, I didn't amplify anything so you're really gonna have to listen for it.

This just sounds like SFX to me. Mechanisms from the temple reacting to Indy or whatever.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

This just sounds like SFX to me. Mechanisms from the temple reacting to Indy or whatever.

That is a possibility. Just thought it was a weird little sound. Also annoying that the 08 release fades the cue out way early.

1 hour ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Reminds me of how you can actually hear JW talking in the rear channels of a cue from TLC

Really??

1 minute ago, Brando said:

That is a possibility. Just thought it was a weird little sound. Also annoying that the 08 release fades the cue out way early.

Really??

Yeah, To Berlin.

I found it. I amplified it so we can hear it better. You can hear a man coughing, JW saying okay in a chipper voice, and someone else saying something unintelligible as To Berlin is fading out and Koeniggraetzer March is fading in. Pretty neat. 

5 hours ago, Brando said:

I found it. I amplified it so we can hear it better. You can hear a man coughing, JW saying okay in a chipper voice, and someone else saying something unintelligible as To Berlin is fading out and Koeniggraetzer March is fading in. Pretty neat. 

That's a strange relic, considering the end of To Berlin is dialed out!

So how did it make into the film mix??

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think it was not dialed out, but replaced with an "Pickup" ending, or an alternate take was used that ended early.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

No for some reason it ends early in the rear channels. But in the film it fades out and crossfades with Koeniggraetzer March. You can hear it crossfade in this video.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

If it's only audible by listening to just the rear channels, and even then pretty subtle, someone doing a full mix could easily miss it.

Or the same reason why you occasionally get really bad musical edits - someone had to do it very quickly and knew basically no one would notice.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If it's only audible by listening to just the rear channels, and even then pretty subtle, someone doing a full mix could easily miss it.

I think he means if the cue is dialed out, then the volume is taken down to 0, nothing should be audible.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Have all the non-JW source cues in Last Crusade been noted anywhere? If not, here they are courtesy of the SABAM repertoire database:

Yes, on this page, except for "O Bene Antico" it seems.

7 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

God I hope that march gets released with the rest of the score one day. The bootleg versions of that cue have terrible sound.

Doesn't sound bad to me at all if you ignore the wrong tempo timpani mockup awfully thrown onto it:

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Doesn't sound bad to me at all if you ignore the wrong tempo timpani mockup awfully thrown onto it:

Agreed, the March is one of the only tracks that actually sound good in the bootleg.

Huh. Guess I misremembered the quality on that one. I still hope it finds its way onto the Matessino edition one day.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

This is from the bootleg? This came from a folder @Manakin Skywalkersent me, and whether its a mockup or not, its definitely better than the standard recording on YouTube and the film rip, which the timpani overdub is a mess because of the cheering. This is also my channel btw.

Way to insult two JWfans at once @Holko:lol:

That film edit version of the March was from some old fanedit with a name like "superbly awesome" or something, that I added @Datameister's timpani mockup on top of for my Extensively Rad edition.

Whoops, sorry. The mockup probably works fine in isolation as a demonstration but some work could have been done to match the speeds though because this mess doesn't have anything to do with anyone's intentions or ideas of "listenable", I won't take that back.

No offense taken on my end … as I recall, that ancient mockup was just something I threw into Finale 2004. I think my own edit managed to match the timing of the overlay a bit better, but it's still nothing I'd listen to now.

32 minutes ago, Brando said:

This is from the bootleg? This came from a folder @Manakin Skywalkersent me, and whether its a mockup or not, its definitely better than the standard recording on YouTube and the film rip, which the timpani overdub is a mess because of the cheering.

I had no idea where it's from but if we have it here in good sound then why is it a problem that the bootleg one sounds awful? Not that I don't want it released, I really do.

33 minutes ago, Brando said:

This is also my channel btw.

lol perfect find then

Hm, I never had any idea about the pitch, I just knew the "voicing" is very different (big BAMMMM on the samples but much more subtle less vibrating notes in the film recordings), and that most of the notes aren't where they're supposed to be.

There are also some fanedits out there that use a classical recording of the March, instead of Courage's arrangement of the March for the film recordings.

3 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

There are also some fanedits out there that use a classical recording of the March

Like this one I believe: 

It's great that these have been found (similar vibe to the source in The Mummy), but also quells any discomfort when they inevitably don't appear on MM's eventual expansions :) 

Not massively familiar with Raiders but I can picture 'Finshabi' in context.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

But then so were the countless opportunities to do Star Wars over the last decade and nothing's happened, so I won't hold my breath.

What do you mean “nothing’s happened?” Solo and Rogue One both got expanded. Seems pretty obvious to me the other 9 are coming.

I actually this sort of source cues actually detract from the listening experience. If they are included in any future expanded release, I hope they get relegated to the bonus track section on disc 2, but I would prefer if they were not included at all

I doubt these would be expensive to license. These aren’t Beatles songs are anything. That said, they’re completely unnecessary on an expanded Williams album.

I doubt they'd be expensive either but in the bigger picture it's probably better if they weren't included - they don't mesh with Williams' music and those who like them can purchase them now if they want.

After all, the couple of stock tracks in PoA weren't on that box, and they were arguably more noticeable in the film than the Raiders tracks were. I think there's an easy line here - if no one directly involved with the film actually created a track, there's no reason to be compelled to include it, but if there's room and it's easy/cheap, sure, why not.

I understand both sides. However, if the specific take heard in the film ISN'T available anywhere, then I'd say they should try to include it. For example, the song 'All Alone on Christmas' by Darlene Love from Home Alone 2. The specific take used in the film can only be heard in the film and in the music video. All of the albums have a different ending, so the music video version can only be listened to there outside of the film. They should try to do the same with the one song heard in the jail in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, since that hasn't been found in good quality to my knowledge.