Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource

Henry B

Many DVD ripping programs will tell you the length of VOB files. So if you know how long the music is, find the file with the matching time.

That's the problem--none of the times match it. The one shot I have is that the folder which claims to be empty, but has several "non-specified" audio tracks which supposedly have nothing on them. I've tried a couple, which really do have nothing; I'm probably just going to have to check each one for the sake of my sanity, but I'm fearing I may have to resort to just recording it.

Well I've made the 2 edits - one is 8:05 and contains no sfx at all, the other is 9:36 and has some sfx remaining, but only in two places, and microedits have eliminated everything but occasional environmental stuff - otherwise, everything from film from the comedic Marian part to the end of the OST is in there (note: the tracked extension to Marian's theme after the main chase start isn't there - the film mix gets away with it, but I just couldn't get it to sound natural, and it wasn't Williams' intention after all).

I can see why the OST is edited as it is - if you start before Iriana's theme there's little room for removing stuff smoothly, so the edits I made between the OST and pre-vis are more like pauses. Despite the slight sfx though, the full version has a rhythm and a momentum that just keeps going which the shorter one loses somewhat.

The Warehouse Escape's a lot easier - just need to get a clean ending from the DVD :joy:

Edit - they're not uploaded quite yet...

Many DVD ripping programs will tell you the length of VOB files. So if you know how long the music is, find the file with the matching time.

That's the problem--none of the times match it. The one shot I have is that the folder which claims to be empty, but has several "non-specified" audio tracks which supposedly have nothing on them. I've tried a couple, which really do have nothing; I'm probably just going to have to check each one for the sake of my sanity, but I'm fearing I may have to resort to just recording it.

The best program to try to get those kinds of files in particular (in reauthor mode) would be DVD Shrink. There isn't an exact site to get it, you have to google around...

I just finish my complete score of Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull using the dvd. the only track that has a lot of sfx is the chaucilla graveyard most of the score is sfx free using the rear channels

For those who don't want the whole thing, I've finished work on three cues: Jungle Chase, Ants/Over the Cliff and Warehouse Escape. The latter two are exactly as heard on the pre-vis apart from edits to fix problems at the end - a brief segue to the DVD rear channel for 'warehouse', and an extension of Marian's theme seguing into Irina's to fix that awkward film edit in 'cliff'.

And of course 2 versions of Jungle Chase, depending on tolerances for sfx :lol:

(flac on request - mp3s up now).

*HEARTS* Warehouse Escape. What an inimaginably delightful action cue!!

Yeah, that's been getting some major playtime for me. I love that desperate rendition of the Raiders March as Indy climbs into the rafters, among other things. Some have (or had; I don't know if opinions have changed) criticized it as boring or mediocre, but it's actually quite good.

EDIT: I've been on a ripping frenzy, going through the film, and I'm at "Legend of Akator," and I'm surprised at how good it is. It's a shorter, quieter cue, but actually fairly interesting. It's a shame it's mixed so low in the film--and in the rear channels, you do get some soft crowd noise, though not enough to make it a tosser for my own personal expanded set. "The Train Station" is another cue I've grown to like quite a bit, and I'd also like to hear this officially (it's got an edit, also, when the train starts to move). I'm looking forward to further exploring this score!

Hmm...with all this new isolated music,should I go as far as saying we don't absolutely need an Expanded KotCS down the line?

2 things:

I cut 2 seconds of the unreleased music between Jungle Chase pt 1 and 2 (OST opening) so that the Raiders A theme leads directly into the OST track 10 opening without letting the music slow down to a crawl. Same thing after Mutt's theme later ,I cut the "clean ending" to lead into the military motif.

Also ,for Warehouse Escape ,instead of letting the second sustained note at the end cut off abruptly ,I just looped the first (identical) sustained note which is much longer and let it fade slowly.

...Also ,for Warehouse Escape ,instead of letting the second sustained note at the end cut off abruptly ,I just looped the first (identical) sustained note which is much longer and let it fade slowly.

What I did for this was use a tiny bit of a DVD rip of the last note (it goes on a bit longer before the SFX happen then on the PreViz) and then I actually used the very end of the Jungle Chase Previz note over it to make it have a very nice and smooth ending. Sure it isn't exactly how Williams wrote it, but then again neither is it the way everyone else is doing it. At least this way it doesn't sound cheesy or cheaply done, and will flow perfectly within the OST now.

Anyone who wants to hear my edit just... let me know. :o

hey,great idea ...

My new Warehouse Escape ending :

1st sustained note looped 1/2 db higher + last brass hit and fade out JungleChase PreViz.

Sounds like something that could have been on the OST instead of a "fan made" add on.

Well, since most people here only want Warehouse Escape and some extended form of the Jungle Chase (whether in 3 parts, one complete whole, or just slightly expanded), I have made my own single CD tracklist for those who like doing such things.

I wanted it to still fit on one CD, but that meant I had to take off 2 previous tracks. The first obvious one was the "Raiders March" since it is available on many other CDs (and it surely isn't anything new for this score). I had a hard time for a while deciding what the other dropped track would be (still needed room) but I ended up getting rid of "Orellana's Cradle". To me this track always dragged on and on and didn't have much of interest or anything that wasn't heard elsewhere. It was also, personally, at my least favorite moment in the film where I thought it had REALLY stopped dead with exposition and a rather uninteresting discovery of the Crystal Skull and Orellana and his men. So it was good to have that reminder omitted.

I originally was just going to cut out the 2nd half of "Journey to Akator" since it was basically like source music, but couldn't edit it right without it fading out too suddenly, or just sounding "fan edited". If anyone has any idea or has made a really, really good edit of this, let me know.

Anyway, lol. Here is my personal track list. It is pretty much in film order (I know some parts need to be edited around for that to be totally true, but this is close enough), but with the concert arrangements starting off. I'll probably never listen to the OST again. The whole thing flows so much better. Especially with the new stuff. :o

01- Call of the Crystal

02- The Adventures of Mutt

03- Irina's Theme

04- The Spell of the Skull

05- Warehouse Escape*

06- A Whirl Through Academe

07- The Journey to Akator

08- Oxley's Dilemma

09- Grave Robbers

10- Secret Doors and Scorpions

11- "Return"

12- The Snake Pit

13- The Jungle Chase (Expanded)*

14- Ants!

15- Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold

16- Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed

17- The Departure

18- Finale

Now this is an Indiana Jones score. ;)

I still don't get the "has to fit on one c.d. " thing in 2008 .

The only remaining problem is the end of Over the Cliff. Ends kind of abruptly ,though not as bad as Warehouse Escape did.

I still don't get the "has to fit on one c.d. " thing in 2008 .

The only remaining problem is the end of Over the Cliff. Ends kind of abruptly ,though not as bad as Warehouse Escape did.

scallenger took my edit and tracked the end of the Jungle Chase pre-viz to make it a lot less sudden - and it works a treat.

There's not as much we can do about the Cliff sequence. I've tried extending Marian's theme, but that and Irina's theme just aren't good friends - if only they'd left the cue unedited in the pre-viz because I'm sure JW's original version is great.

I don't know, I think I'm probably too much of a purist to do all that. :o I'm thinking the film version is probably just an edited version of what's in the pre-viz, though, not a true alternate.

And I really badly want the "Chauchilla Graveyard" cue without SFX. I did a rip, and you have to use parts of the front channel version and parts of the rear channel version (surprisingly, the former more than the latter). There's still a lot of SFX, but I've found that it's a delightful "sneaking around in a graveyard at night" cue, if that makes any sense. Some wonderful woodwind work on it...it's just a treat. Where it seemed that there might not be too much to enjoy outside of the OST tracks and the missing action material, I'm pleasantly finding that to not be the case.

There's not as much we can do about the Cliff sequence. I've tried extending Marian's theme, but that and Irina's theme just aren't good friends - if only they'd left the cue unedited in the pre-viz because I'm sure JW's original version is great.

Actually, you can hear what Williams originally wrote for this transition in the "Adventures in Post-Production" documentary, at about 10 minutes in. Basically, Williams ends Marion's theme, has a short transitional note, then goes into Irina's theme. (The music portion of the doc was switching subjects from Marion to Spalko, so that bit happened to be the ideal segue.) The film dialogue is layered over it, so any edit would include the exchange " 'Don't ever do that again!' 'Yes, dear.' " ... but it's definitely worth considering for obsessive completists. :o

the automatic writting bit is the part just before the snake pit so it can be merged with that cue.

Its rather ironical that the OST only had the final statement of marion's theme (and we wondered if the movie would have more), and now we have basically every single rendition of it.

Shame no rendition of henry's theme has surfaced.

Some of us are. ROTFLMAO

And it turns out only a quick, faint "Yes Dear" winds up in the finished edit. :o

I found a way to make the edit work without that anyway - not quite what Williams intended but I think it works better than my last version.

It's dangerous when I start editing stuff again - I've got yet another version of all 3 cues I worked on, mostly incorporating little tricks others have used on their own edits (the end of the Warehouse cue is much better and transitions in the Chase have been smoothed out).

I'm not planning to alter any of my edits further, so I'm going to put them up one final time (rapidshare though - megaupload deleted the flac I put up) in both formats.

Anyone else been madly editing the last few days and want to share their work? Might be nice to hear some cues that I can't be assed to do from this score ROTFLMAO

I've also made a custom album, which gets rid of about 3 of the quieter (more boring) cues and re-orders some of the material towards the beginning such as making Adventures of Mutt track 1, moving the Raiders March to the very end (after album alternates). And by an amazing coincidence, it all (just) fits on one disc :o

I'm not planning to alter any of my edits further, so I'm going to put them up one final time (rapidshare though - megaupload deleted the flac I put up) in both formats.

Anyone else been madly editing the last few days and want to share their work? Might be nice to hear some cues that I can't be assed to do from this score ROTFLMAO

I've also made a custom album, which gets rid of about 3 of the quieter (more boring) cues and re-orders some of the material towards the beginning such as making Adventures of Mutt track 1, moving the Raiders March to the very end (after album alternates). And by an amazing coincidence, it all (just) fits on one disc :o

why not assemble an expanded score CD, leaving out all the concert versions, and if you want to revisit the concert versions use the OST CD?

I've updated the main post with a full track list and editing instructions. All that's missing are the file names - but they should be evident to anybody who's downloaded the rips.

why not assemble an expanded score CD, leaving out all the concert versions, and if you want to revisit the concert versions use the OST CD?

The only thing you can really remove is the Raiders March because we have it elsewhere .Concert versions of themes are an integral part of Williams scores

The only thing you can really remove is the Raiders March because we have it elsewhere .Concert versions of themes are an integral part of Williams scores

As much as 'boring tracks'

BTW mutts theme is more or less in Jungle chase...

I dont like to leave out anything BTW. I'm just saying that it makes more sense to leave out the concert versions as they arent part of the chronological film order.

I would just burn a 90 min CD, and it fits all, since its just 86 minutes.

Because much of the score just isn't interesting to me, and I'm not trying to fit this on a CD. Really all I care about with this score is having these three additional/extended action sequences along with the best of the rest from the OST.

No, I don't like it. I like the way "The Raiders March" ends. Plus, I then don't need "The Raiders March" on my KOCS album, which is one less occasion for it to remind me of a better film and score. It has no business being on that CD anyway.

Neil

No, I don't like it. I like the way "The Raiders March" ends. Plus, I then don't need "The Raiders March" on my KOCS album, which is one less occasion for it to remind me of a better film and score. It has no business being on that CD anyway.

Neil

it makes more sense to leave the revised ending to remind you this is KotCS then!

k.M.Who thinks the revised ending is amazing in it's own right ,but does not replace the original

No, I don't like it. I like the way "The Raiders March" ends.

I'm half and half on this one. It's great to hear the Raiders March on trombones juxtaposed with Mutt's theme (the altered Raiders March or whatever) on trumpets, but the ending is lousy. It's kind of joyless, like it's the ending of an action piece rather than the ending of the film.

Or for you theorists out there, why can't the piece just end on a major triad (or a major seventh chord) like the march originally did? It's too dissonant.

You don't like the new ending of the credits, Neil? I think it's great. The whole end credits suite is one of the few really good/great things in the score.

Maybe, but the transition from the Raiders March to Irina's theme is awful. In fact, it's nonexistent.

It's nice to hear something different too. As much as I love the RotJ version of the end of the Star Wars end credits, reprised in RotS, it would have been great if Williams had written something with a different spin on it.

I considered putting the March between Spell and Warehouse Escape as a way of building up the excitement a bit, but then decided to put it right at the end, after the alternates because it's like a way of finally saying farewell to Indy in the most original and classic way possible.

I quite like having repeated concert suites in some ways - it can make for a complete listening experience if you have something to end an 'album' full of alternates or cues that don't have a specific place in the structure of the album, or if it's the end of a series of films and, as I said, you want a final send-off,

Maybe, but the transition from the Raiders March to Irina's theme is awful. In fact, it's nonexistent.

That comes from "The Prequel School of End Title Composition". Do a reprise of a familiar theme from an older film then awkwardly stop so you can play the new stuff.

Neil

He could have just re-recorded it all into a properly written suite with real transitions.

But this is a Lucas production, who wouldn't pay for the Star Wars main title to be re-recorded more than once.

BTW - final edits up. Only one link this time!

I dropped "The Raiders March", but I used the end of it in the "Finale" so that I don't have to sit through the revised ending.

Neil

So you dont mmmkaying care about movie and score, yet you take your time to edit it.

And you complain about cut and pasted reused music yet you despise a new variation.

I dont understand you at all.

It is a bit odd to delete a brand new (and great IMO) variation of a known theme to replace it with the old one you've heard 1000 times on a score you don't care about in the first place.

Williams altered his beloved classic track and KotCS is no Raiders of the Lost Ark, we get it.

Yeah, hate the movie all you want, but don't take it out on the innocent Raiders March.

And you complain about cut and pasted reused music yet you despise a new variation.

Indeed. You're even weirder than me sometimes.

By the way: are there cues from the DVD's rear (or even better, front) channels that don't have any SFX? (Not only for Warehouse escape and Jungle chase, but also for other unreleased cues?)

I'd imagine so. I've only looked at the above cues, but the significant thing to note is that the music is very loudly mixed in the rear channels so there's a good chance that other passages can be extracted to a listenable degree, if not entirely sfx free.

I had a look at the relationship quote for example, but as far as statements go, it wasn't particularly memorable for me, so I didn't bother.

Thanks. To everybody with the DVD, please let us know if you've salvaged anything from the wreck.

I've also made a custom album, which gets rid of about 3 of the quieter (more boring) cues and re-orders some of the material towards the beginning

Well, if there's going to be one cue I'll lose myself, it'll be the Mutt thing. Also, the Raiders March. It's already quoted in the soundtrack itself too much. (I wish he had followed up on his approach for the third film, as described in the liner notes...)