Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource

Henry B

He never shared his Last Crusade files with us until a few months ago when he heard the ones in the editing package and realized his were better

I got the editing package on November 25. Were digitalfreaknyc's TLC files included in that package?

The link currently shows Last Crusade Editing Package 2.0..zip / 201.8 MB / Last Crusade Editing Package REVISED

I just want to make sure that the TLC files I've got are the best quality around.

I bought my copies on CD from a Geocities site. The tracks in question sound worse on the editing package Jason has been sending out, the sources of which I know nothing about.

The first version of the editing package contained rips I made myself from the "Volume 2" (aka "More Music From") boot (the one with Amazing Stories) for most of the tracks (I have it on CDR), with some mp3-based ones of the tracks that weren't on the vol 2 boot.

Then digitalfreaknyc heard them and said that what he had was better, so he send us all a link for those. It was entirely his files in the second version of the editing packages I sent out ("Editing Package 2.0" I called the zip file), with the exception of the missing opening seconds of "To Berlin" because he accidentally sent out "To The Blimp" instead of "To Berlin"

I'm no sound quality expert, so I'm glad you're gonna help with finding the best version of each!

I got the editing package on November 25. Were digitalfreaknyc's TLC files included in that package?

The link currently shows Last Crusade Editing Package 2.0..zip / 201.8 MB / Last Crusade Editing Package REVISED

I just want to make sure that the TLC files I've got are the best quality around.

yea that's the package with digitalfreak's files

So now, thanks to the tireless hard work of Jason LeBlanc and Datameister, the entire JWFan community anxiously awaits:

THE LAST CRUSADE - EDITING PACKAGE - VOL.3

:P

Yeah, once I hear those "More Music From" rips, Jason, I'll (hopefully) be able to tell if what I've got is anything "new" or just the same material. 10m1 Insert 1, 10m1 fix for bar 65, 6m2x new ending, and Sinister Visitors are the four cues I know sound significantly better in my files than in the ones in the current editing package. Koeniggraetzer March sounds slightly better on mine, too, I think, though there's a chance I'm imagining the difference there.

Again, please don't get your hopes too high, everyone. It's only four or five cues, three of which are very short, and it's possible that y'all already have the versions I'm talking about, and in any case, the versions I have are by no means OST-quality or anything. But it'll be nice to make my mark if it turns out these particular files aren't out in the open. =)

Ooooh, I would love a great sounding version of sinistor visitors! Love that performance of the b theme...

Yeah, Sinister Visitors definitely sounds loads better in my version than in the current editing package. Sounds like the same bootleg, probably, but it doesn't have the shaky, stuttery sound that your version does. I think someone applied a little hiss reduction to it, too, but there are really only a few spots where there are any noticeable artifacts as a result.

One other thing we're missing from the editing packages is a full rip of "The Well of the Souls" from the Raiders double LP. I'm not asking that the full DCC Raiders CD be included - that can be found for cheap on eBay - but as a few have brought up, the sound on the Concord set is not necessarily superior to the sound on the DCC. The "Uncovering the Ark" cue in particular is very hissy and bright, which I think is a result of equalizing. In my opinion, the DCC LP sounds better, but the problem is that I haven't heard a rip that is free of pops and properly joined with "The Well of the Souls." There's an LP rip in the editing package that demonstrates the connection between the two cues, but it can't be joined with the full rip of "Uncovering the Ark" - the one I have, at least - as it sounds a bit different.

I can't really volunteer to do anything, though. The LP is incredibly expensive if you can find it, and I don't have the equipment to do a transfer myself.

Those tradings makes me think of "Indy Negotiates". It simply plays in my mind, don't know why...

Hey Henry, I thought about this video when I saw your avatar...

Hey, a question for ya, Jason - for the TLC cues for which we don't have sheet music, where are the cue titles coming from on indianajonesmusic.com? Are they your own, or from some other source?

Well, to be honest, they're almost all probably not what John Williams would have called any of the cues.... I might change them at some point but for now they work

To say that I am new to this whole "complete" "expanded" "isolated" score thing is a tremendous understatement. Where the hell are you guys getting these tracks from? Do you guys have the official cue sheet from Williams? Did you guy rip it from dvds? Is this a guide to acquiring these unreleased tracks. And how do I get them. Lay some knowledge of the novice PLEASE. Because you are obviously either OCD purist or just really dedicated.

I think "OCD purist" and "really dedicated" are both applicable. ;)

Unreleased tracks usually come from one of three sources:

* DVD audio rips

* video/computer game music files

* direct bootlegs that somehow get leaked and shared

Most of the Indy material is being released through an "editing package" that you could ask Jason for, and then the information on this site and indianajonesmusic.com can help you edit it to your liking.

As to the cue sheet - I think some of us have that, but I don't. However, there is sheet music with the cue names making the rounds.

Hope this helps! =)

EDIT: Did anyone ever type up all the lyrics for "Sanskrit Sacrifice"? I'm willing to do so if no one else has.

To say that I am new to this whole "complete" "expanded" "isolated" score thing is a tremendous understatement. Where the hell are you guys getting these tracks from? Do you guys have the official cue sheet from Williams? Did you guy rip it from dvds? Is this a guide to acquiring these unreleased tracks. And how do I get them. Lay some knowledge of the novice PLEASE. Because you are obviously either OCD purist or just really dedicated.

For Raiders and Last Crusade, there are bootlegs of the recording sessions that have been circulating for many many years.

Nothing has ever leaked from Temple of Doom, until the video game "Lego Indiana Jones" came out earlier this year... the game was full of unreleased music.

Other than that, there are just dvd rips of the rear channels.

As for the cue titles, the sheet music has leaked for Raiders and TOD and about half of Last Crusade.

Okay, I've got a rather obscure question. In TLC, while Indy discovers that his and Elsa's rooms have been ransacked, the song "You're a Sweet Little Headache" is playing on the record player in Elsa's bathroom. Does anyone happen to know whether that particular recording is available AND/OR who the songwriter(s)/composer(s) for the song were AND/OR who was performing that specific recording? The fan-made 2-CD set I bought a few years back contains a recording of the song from the same period, but it's not the same rendition. It's 3:03 long and erroneously labeled as "Der Koniggratzer (Alternate)"; it starts with just the instrumentals, and then a female singer comes in. (I would've never known the name of the song otherwise!)

Did anyone ever type up all the lyrics for "Sanskrit Sacrifice"? I'm willing to do so if no one else has.

Yes, I did. It's on one of the last pages of the box set thread part 2.

Right but if you provide a list of which cues sound better than the editing package versions and which boot they come from, I can create a new editing package containing the best version of each cue :)

Right but if you provide a list of which cues sound better than the editing package versions and which boot they come from, I can create a new editing package containing the best version of each cue :)

You can count on it. :) It'll have to be tomorrow, though, unfortunately.

Now, Jason and Valentinice already know this, but the rest of y'all do not - apparently, I have several bootlegged TLC tracks that are of higher quality than what's currently making the rounds! The quality is still pretty bad, but it's definitely not as bad. I'm not sure how many tracks are an improvement, but I know it's not all of the bootlegged tracks. The part that's unfortunate is that I don't have lossless versions of the files at the moment, but my hope is that I will within a few days. (Not worth explaining why.) Then I'll upload them for everyone to enjoy! =D EDIT: Stand by...we're still verifying that they are indeed different files of better quality...
Might be the same files that I have. Yesterday I replaced all the Editing Pack sourced files with the ones from this Alternate Bootleg, except for "9m2 New Ending" (aka "The Birds of Charlemagne"). The sound quality might be slightly less because of the hiss reduction, but I find it a lot more listenable. I have them in 320 KB/s MP3.

I prefer them without the hiss reduction. The warbling and tweeting artifacts are just too weird and distracting for me, personally...I can handle a little hiss. =P

I'll now start compiling a list of which bootlegged files sound best where, Jason!

Definitely agree. Sometimes your mind can "block out" the hiss, but the artifacts from hiss reduction software are always awful

Thanks for doing this, by the way. I'm no sound quality expert.

If anybody else wants the compilation I made of all the different boot sources, PM me and I'll PM it to you

You're absolutely welcome. Now...just to push my luck a little, do you think you'd mind PMing me the original region 1 DVD rips of chapters 4 and 5 (or everything from the start of "Sinister Visitors" to the end of "The Holy Grail")? I've got the entire DVD ripped except those two chapters because of a defect on the disc, and I could really use the files to calculate and provide more accurate speed change percentages for the ripped material. I can do it by ear, based on comparing the bootlegged files to standard pitches, but that's less accurate. Thanks so much! :)

about the LP raiders... is there any rip that does not have the artifacts of LP? because when marion into the pit has high trebble sound it distorts, and sounds like when you put your ear near the needle in an LP player.

I just used the Marion Into The Pit from the Raiders 2CD boot. It sounded better than the LP rip i have of the entire Well Of Souls LP track.

I just used the Marion Into The Pit from the Raiders 2CD boot. It sounded better than the LP rip i have of the entire Well Of Souls LP track.

that's the one i have, and it still has that sound. :)

Yea I know, but I've never come across a better version. I can send you the LP rip I have and you can see if you like it

I really cannot get over how dry TLC sounds in the DVD rear channels. It's like listening to a whole different recording...but it's not. Does anyone know what would have caused the discrepancy between this and the comparatively echoey soundtrack releases?

It's not like the makers of the DVD were concerned with presenting a reference level release of the film's score on the rear channels of the movie :)

They focus on how everything sounds together, not how any one channel sounds in isolation

Who knows what Bouzereau and Concord did to the music >shrug<

Or are you talking about the 1989 OST?

The 1989 OST and the Concord release, Jason.

Henry, it only sounds excessive after listening to the practically reverb-less DVD rear channels. I suppose I'd prefer a little bit less on the OSTs, but that wasn't my point. I'm just stunned by how different it sounds. Most of the DVD rips I've worked with have sounded more or less like the OSTs, except with a rather muted sound quality and sometimes missing instruments that were mixed in after the fact. (And the SFX and dialogue, of course.)

Henry, it only sounds excessive after listening to the practically reverb-less DVD rear channels. I suppose I'd prefer a little bit less on the OSTs, but that wasn't my point. I'm just stunned by how different it sounds. Most of the DVD rips I've worked with have sounded more or less like the OSTs, except with a rather muted sound quality and sometimes missing instruments that were mixed in after the fact. (And the SFX and dialogue, of course.)

A real orchestra doesn't sound dry. If Last Crusade was really miked that closely then please bring on the artificial reverb. Are you sure this isn't just an issue with the rear channels, though? Have you listened to the entire surround mix?

A real orchestra doesn't sound dry. If Last Crusade was really miked that closely then please bring on the artificial reverb. Are you sure this isn't just an issue with the rear channels, though? Have you listened to the entire surround mix?

Absolutely. Again, let me emphasize this: I am not trying to say that the OST should sound like the DVD rear channels. :lol: The rear channels are too dry; the other channels are not, so it sounds fine as a whole. I personally think the sound of the OSTs is perhaps just slightly too wet, but I'm fine with it as it is. All I'm saying is that I'm curious, from a technical standpoint, how the difference arose. That's all! =)

Okay, perhaps a stupid question...but who is Max, and when does Kazim meet him? :blink: TLC's 9m4 takes place while Marcus' predicament is being described and then showed. Is this Max the Augie of the Indy universe, or am I missing something obvious?

Yea I've wondered about that! I have NO idea!

Anybody know?

(And shouldn't this be in the cue names thread not the unreleased music thread? :blink: )

Sorry, I considered putting it there, but officially, it says it's for TOD cue names, and unofficially, it's become a place for demo versions of unreleased cues...so I decided to stick with this. =D

Hey Jason, I'm still going through the files you sent me to figure out which boots are best, and I found a cue that's not listed on the indianajonesmusic site. The file is "John Williams - 16 Ransacked House.flac", from the Volume 2 bootleg. I believe it's either 5m4 or 5m5. It's 2:02 long and unused in the movie, I believe.

thats Meeting Hitler aka To The Blimp

Okay, perhaps a stupid question...but who is Max, and when does Kazim meet him? :D TLC's 9m4 takes place while Marcus' predicament is being described and then showed. Is this Max the Augie of the Indy universe, or am I missing something obvious?

My only possible guess is that John Williams was referring to the Panzer model entitled "Dicker Max". But really, that is all I can think of.