WTF?! Narnia TLTWTW?!

I purchased this CD used on Amazon and I should not have.

I have tried to stray from negativity in my posts but I must say that upon my first listen today, I was very disappointed. Honestly, I feel like I could have written a better score.

And maybe I'm brand new but where was that main Narnia theme that was featured in the movie's previews? I bought it for that and it wasn't even on there? Last non Williams score I buy...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha

Prince Crapsian

Umm...no.

What's so terrible about the first score?

It works well in the film, but is boring as hell to listen to by itself. Soule should have been commissioned to score it, not Gregson-Williams.

Of course, that's a different discussion altogether...

With tracks like "A Narnian Lullaby," "To Aslan's Camp," "The Stone Table," and "The Battle," I don't follow that. Could it have steered more into rich orchestral territory and eliminated the (often useless) electronics? Most certainly. But boring? I don't think so.

That's what you get for buying a score by Harry Gregson-Williams.

Here's a little tip, unless it's a big movie with a well known theme chances are the music used in the trailers isn't from the movie.

With tracks like "A Narnian Lullaby," "To Aslan's Camp," "The Stone Table," and "The Battle," I don't follow that. Could it have steered more into rich orchestral territory and eliminated the (often useless) electronics? Most certainly. But boring? I don't think so.

Well, "A Narnian Lullaby" did put me to sleep, so I suppose that it succeeded in it's purpose. The other pieces aren't necessarily poor in composition, I just find them, well...boring to listen to.

Soule should have been commissioned to score it, not Gregson-Williams.

Jeremy Soule? He deserves a shot at just about any film. Nice to see he has another admirer here.

John- who still enjoys the first Narnia

And maybe I'm brand new but where was that ... theme that was featured in the movie's previews? I bought it for that and it wasn't even on there?

Ah, the first hard lesson a film score fan must learn. Never trust the music in the previews. Ever. You will be burned. :P

I enjoyed the score. It's no Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but it's likable (just as the film is). The synth use can be a bit annoying, though.

Narnia is an amazing score. One of my favorites. But the album is horrible. Just get the recording sessions.

But even those unfortunately lack the second half of the final battle, despite having two tracks titled "The Battle part 1" and "The Battle part 2".

The first Narnia is a perfectly good score with several quality themes and motifs, great development from beginning to end, and a magical, often wintry atmosphere. I'm anticipating the sequel score a week from now.

Jeremy Soule? He deserves a shot at just about any film. Nice to see he has another admirer here.

Ever hear his score to Prey, the videogame? It's pretty damn epic.

Ever hear his score to Prey, the videogame? It's pretty damn epic.

Prey was great. Also, Morrowind was a classic. Check out KotOR if you ever get the chance, as well...

Unfortunately not yet. I've got his Potters, Morrowind, and the one that introduced me to him, Knights of the Old Republic. I've also got an arrangement he did of one of Uematu's best themes, Terra from FFVI.

why do you have to start a thread with WTF, how lame are you

I have no idea what TLTWTW means, and I'm fairly proud of that. Internet lingo, frankly, makes me want to vomit. Not chunky vomit -- more like dry-heave stomach acid.

I've got no particular beef with the score to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and I doubt I'll have any beef against Prince Caspian, either . . . but I was only mildly a fan of the first movie, and the only reason I'm going to see the second one is because I'll be getting paid to see it. I find monetary incentives to be an excellent way to watch mediocre movies. Although not even that will get me to see Martin Lawrence movies. Or any sequels to Ultraviolet that happen to get made.

Well thats what you get for listening to HGW. He is an interesting guy, but his music suck ass.

I found it a real snore.

That's rich coming from the Anti-Christ :blink:

And maybe I'm brand new but where was that main Narnia theme that was featured in the movie's previews? I bought it for that and it wasn't even on there? Last non Williams score I buy...

This is wrong on so many levels. Trailer music is nothing to go by, as has been said. It's a competent score that works well in the film, even if it's not a great album listen. The orchestrations and moods are top-notch - you may not like them, but they're accomplished and more than just functional.

Finally, "last non-Williams score I buy"? What a stupid notion! You can be a Williams fanboy all you like, but to seriously think no other composers work will entertain you is utterly childish. You're missing out. But then you don't seem to understand film scoring that much anyway, considering you bought an album for the music you heard in a film's trailer. :blink:

I think it's a very weak album, and suffers from an excessively MV-ish sound. It was particularly dissapointing after Kingdom of Heaven, which is a masterful piece of work.

Apparently I caused quite a stir here, didn't mean to offend anyone. Yes, I am naive when it comes to trailer music. Frankly I'm shocked that they wouldn't create a new Narnia theme just for the trailers, considering they could use it for the 3-4 more Narnia movies to be made.

Honestly, that kind of summarizes the approach they took to this series and I suppose it shouldn't surprise me considering how poorly TLTWTW stood up to the book.

Tell me though -- what about the 1989 Batman trailer? The music was huge there and helped get me excited for the movie. I understand not every movie deserves a prominent main theme like Batman, but I would think Narnia should have had one.

Are you talking about the trailer or the film? Because the score does have a prominent main theme (actually, several that could probably be called prominent main themes).

I have no idea what TLTWTW means, and I'm fairly proud of that. Internet lingo, frankly, makes me want to vomit. Not chunky vomit -- more like dry-heave stomach acid.

I've got no particular beef with the score to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and I doubt I'll have any beef against Prince Caspian, either . . . but I was only mildly a fan of the first movie, and the only reason I'm going to see the second one is because I'll be getting paid to see it. I find monetary incentives to be an excellent way to watch mediocre movies. Although not even that will get me to see Martin Lawrence movies. Or any sequels to Ultraviolet that happen to get made.

at my sports board that would have gotten him an infraction and possible banning, we're much more strict in the titles than in the body of the threads

Are you talking about the trailer or the film? Because the score does have a prominent main theme (actually, several that could probably be called prominent main themes).

When I saw the trailer for the first time (ROTS opening night FYI) I was like, "wow, that music kicks ass, this is gonna be good." I had never heard that music before (I don't think so at least) so it gave me a woody. And then they had it again for the Caspian trailer as well.

Where is that music from anyway?

Oh and FWIW IMHO I just want to clarify the title of this thread was sort of a joke, I know you guys hate the Internet lingo, I was trying to express symbolically my growing disdain for movie-Narnia world. LAWL.

well I don't disdain Narnia, but I've never read it, nor saw the first film or heard the score so I don't know your frustration. I don't have any plans to see Prince Caspian, but i suspect it will make alot of money.

When I saw the trailer for the first time (ROTS opening night FYI) I was like, "wow, that music kicks ass, this is gonna be good." I had never heard that music before (I don't think so at least) so it gave me a woody. And then they had it again for the Caspian trailer as well.

Where is that music from anyway?

You mean the part that plays as the logo comes whooshing in? It's stock trailer music called The Black Legend by Immediate Music.

http://soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=C&mid=4486

http://soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=C&mid=4488

I have yet to see the film (surprise surprise) however I've heard the score and it's not one I really like all that much.

BTW you can't judge a score based on trailer music. A lot of trailers don't use music from the score for the film.

Thanks J Dan!

BTW you can't judge a score based on trailer music. A lot of trailers don't use music from the score for the film.

Yes, I have officially learned that the hard way. What a great piece the Black Legend is!

If one doesn't like anything but traditional JW scores, then one doesna't like Narnia.

But I think the way it was done has given the franchise its own feel...moody, beautiful, and infused with synth for magical purposes. And from the sounds of the clips on Amazon, PC expands on this feel more, and I look forward to it.

~Sturgis

There's some good music in there, but I can understand why most people don't think much of it. If you want some really good music by Harry Gregson-Williams, try Kingdom of Heaven and especially Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

I had originally hoped the music from the second half of the 9-minute supertrailer would be from the film. It turned out to be from Children of Dune by Brian Tyler. That is a pretty good score and is worth checking out as far as I'm concerned.

There's some good music in there, but I can understand why most people don't think much of it. If you want some really good music by Harry Gregson-Williams, try Kingdom of Heaven and especially Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

I had originally hoped the music from the second half of the 9-minute supertrailer would be from the film. It turned out to be from Children of Dune by Brian Tyler. That is a pretty good score and is worth checking out as far as I'm concerned.

Though Children of Dune is good, I've always wondered why no one mentions Revell's, "Frank Herbert's Dune." Superior score, yet no one ever mentions it.

Anyone here have that score, or ever listen to it?

What's it like? I always associate Graeme Revell with "Tomb Raider" and the only thing I heard in that film as far as music is concerned was absolute modern drivel. Does Graeme Revell sometimes make proper use of an orchestra as well?

The first Narnia is IMHO a perfectly decent score, I've heard quite a few worse. I'm looking forward to the second.

What's it like? I always associate Graeme Revell with "Tomb Raider" and the only thing I heard in that film as far as music is concerned was absolute modern drivel. Does Graeme Revell sometimes make proper use of an orchestra as well?

It's a pretty good score. The main theme is really good, imo, actually better than any of the thematic stuff Tyler wrote in Children. But, yeah, there is some of that electronic crap in there as well, but some quite good. Listen to some of the score on amazon, you may like it.

If you want some really good music by Harry Gregson-Williams, try Kingdom of Heaven and especially Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

I agree, especially about Sinbad. It has a much more traditional sound overall, and really doesn't have any low points. I'd recommend anyone who's been disappointed by Gregson-Williams to at least give Sinbad a try.

Anyone who doesn't like at least something by HGW on MV grounds is an idiot IMO. I don't have much by him, but the Shrek scores and Chicken Run, to name two (contributed to) by him are largely devoid of the MV sound.

There are bits of Narnia I don't like much - the main theme for instance is a power anthem, no escaping that, but amongst the weaker areas I think are some beautiful pieces, and the expanded boot is a good listen.

And Genius - I get the impression that "never buy another non-williams score again" was a spur of the moment comment - I really hope it was.

Yes, I have officially learned that the hard way. What a great piece the Black Legend is!

That should have been understood from the get-go.

That happened to me in like 7th grade when I saw Mulan in the theatre and was disappointed that I never heard that great music from the trailer (turns out it was from Dragonheart).

Anyone who doesn't like at least something by HGW on MV grounds is an idiot IMO. I don't have much by him, but the Shrek scores and Chicken Run, to name two (contributed to) by him are largely devoid of the MV sound.

I believe John Powell had more to do with the success of those scores than HGW.

I have no idea what TLTWTW means,

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe :)

HAH!!!

I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. If I sucked ass, I'd claim that I was currently RAOTFLMFAO.

I'll tell ya what it's NOT like: superior to Children of Dune by Brian Tyler. But it's still a pretty good score, especially for Revell, who is not a good composer based on the scores I've heard of his.

I probably will buy non Maestro stuff in the future, but it will be after he croaks. I haven't heard a good, new, non JW score in a long time.

Ah, but there are multitudes of magnificent old non JW scores out there.

I'll tell ya what it's NOT like: superior to Children of Dune by Brian Tyler. But it's still a pretty good score, especially for Revell, who is not a good composer based on the scores I've heard of his.

What scores have you heard of his? He's a vastly superior theme writer to Tyler, and he builds a more convincing atmosphere. Sure, Tyler's got action scenes down on him, but, well, that's about it.