Contemporary Concert Composers Who Impress You

Korngold once said he couldn't write below his standard when scoring movies just because some people consider it a lesser musical art form. I think it's the same Williams. I believe he tries to write the best he can for each project, whether for film or for the concert hall. He clearly enjoys writing for the screen immensely, otherwite he would have stopped doing it a long time ago.

His film music is not a lesser manifestation of his true artistic indentity. I simply cannot believe that. And his film music is every bit as important as his concert music.

I would be devastated is Williams decided to stop writing for film, as much as I enjoy his concert music.

Music is music...

-Erich Wolfgang Korngold, 1946

That's all that needs to be said.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We are worthless Southern Europeans, and we fear Holland will beat us at the Euro Cup?"

Pretty accurate. And you'll in Spain by that time... get yourself ready. :)

Spain of course will have been defeated weeks before, probably by the Swedes. :)

You're so right at that.

I should have a T-shirt made.

Yes, that's a pretty good idea! Depending on the design, I'll ask an additional one for me :lol:

I was thinking of a picture of Ruud van Nistelrooy, holding the Dutch flag high aloft, dressed in our national uniform, with his Real Madrid shirt ripped and torn under his feet.

I love the idea. But first you have to win the Cup.

Mere details!

Hey guys, who is this opera Soprano who refused to perform under JW conducting, because she think that it would heart his career when working with film composer?! :rolleyes:

Wake up guys, musicians want to do film-composer career just for money; JW has gained a wealth just for a short piece like NBC news theme that all classical composers of century have never collect together!

Mere details!

Hey guys, who is this opera Soprano who refused to perform under JW conducting, because she think that it would heart his career when working with film composer?! :rolleyes:

Her name was Katheleen Battle. The piece in question was 7 For Luck, a song cycle for Soprano and Orchestra, originally comissioned by the Natioal Symphony Orchestra and Leonard Slatkin, set for premiere in 1997. She did indeed refuse to perform the piece but on the basis that she consider it to be too technically challenging.

Williams eventually premiered the piece with the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood, with Cynthia Haymon (a young soprano), in 1998.

Romão (acting as Miguel's secretary)

"We are worthless Southern Europeans, and we fear Holland will beat us at the Euro Cup?"

Pretty accurate. And you'll in Spain by that time... get yourself ready. :rolleyes:

Give him a colleja from me :lol:

Her name was Katheleen Battle. The piece in question was 7 For Luck, a song cycle for Soprano and Orchestra, originally comissioned by the Natioal Symphony Orchestra and Leonard Slatkin, set for premiere in 1997. She did indeed refuse to perform the piece but on the basis that she consider it to be too technically challenging.

Battle did sing in Vangelis' Mythodea though, so I'd take her own explanation over the suspicion that she won't work with film composers. Either that or they just paid her better for the Vangelis project. :rolleyes:

Battle did sing in Vangelis' Mythodea though, so I'd take her own explanation over the suspicion that she won't work with film composers. Either that or they just paid her better for the Vangelis project. :rolleyes:

That was the official explanation for the cancelation of the Washington premiere. The comission came after Battle's sucess with a Previn song cycle, and it seems she was expecting some sort of Hollywood song type of thing.