• C+ (79%)
    • C (75%)
    • C- (70%)
    • D+ (69%)
    • D (65%)
    • D- (60%)
    • F (0%)

Official Disc - A

45 track webrip - A+ (although I wish it had better sound quality).

Giacchino knows how to utilize the orchestra. Can't wait to hear what he does with Star Trek.

Jamesyboy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any great cue not on the OST?

In the film I basically only noticed Reboot and Let Us Drink Milk

It'd be hard not to like a track titled "Let Us Drink Milk." Even if it sucked, which it doesn't.

Giacchino is pretty witty with his track titles, in an intentional-groaner sort of way. There are some howlers on the Lost CDs, and you've gotta love the obviousness of something like "The Incredits."

I'm sold on the guy, personally. I know others aren't, but I think he's one of the best currently working. He still hasn't knocked one clean out of the park -- The Incredibles possibly excepted -- but considering how relatively new he is on the scene, I think he's had a pretty amazing run. Being a Pixar fan, I was initially disturbed to hear that a video game composer had been hired for The Incredibles, but it was around that time that I started watching Alias, and I immediately said, "oh, okay, I get it. This guy's good."

Can't wait to hear what he does with Star Trek.

Oh yeah. That's my absolute #1 most anticipated score after Indy comes out, and that's even if Williams and Spielberg do something else in the meantime.

The OST leaves off the lovely little fun piece heard at the beginning of the film when young Speed gets lost in his world of drawn cars...

For one thing, let's stop this odd notion that music has to be "original" in order to be worthwhile. Just because Giacchino didn't personally compose the theme to Speed Racer, it doesn't mean that he didn't use that theme in a brilliant and artistic way in writing the score for the movie. Really, he made the theme better than it was to begin with. The music plays great on its own, and MORE IMPORTANTLY it plays great in the movie. How is that disappointing?

I did say I found he had done a very good job; it is a very entertaining score, nicely crafted.

I also agree with your first sentence, albeit in a different way: I would say that a every does not have to "redefine" the genre and "reinvent" the way similar movies were scored to be good.

Then, when it comes to franchises and TV-to-movie transitions, I understand using the existing themes.

Yet, when someone as gifted as Giacchino obviously is uses his skills to produce "pastiches" and "homages" (because he is asked to), I find it disappointing and a waste of talent.

That said, I don't really understand why so many people have such antipathy toward Giacchino.

In my case, it's more like frustration, as I have hopefully better worded it in my my last remark right above this.

Not "he's a hack", but "Darn, he clearly can do great things, but people keep asking him to do write music "like xyz'".

It's somewhat like Horner: for all his recycling, I love his music-- and he has proven he was able to write splendid, original music. Giacchino is not given enough chances to do so.

If luck and skill continue to play on his side, I could see him being superior to even John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

Nope. ^_^

The OST leaves off the lovely little fun piece heard at the beginning of the film when young Speed gets lost in his world of drawn cars...

You know the film version is different from the bootleged one.

In the film I basically only noticed Reboot and Let Us Drink Milk

Well, the Varese disc is an hour, and the webrip is just shy of 2 hours, so there is about an hours worth of music not on the official. Unfortunately I don't have tracknames to say "this track is not on the official", but there is some great action music that is not included.

Jamesyboy

You know the film version is different from the bootleged one.

Oh....rats.

I don;t like The Incredibles.

I still want the end Credits to Call of Duty 2

Graeme Revell did the score for Call Of Duty 2. I have that score.

the meant call of duty finnest hour

BTW its debatable Revell composed call of duty 2... or so i have read...

The Russian motif always reminded me of Horner's "The Hunter Becomes The Hunted" from Enemy at the Gates. But this probably isn't the place to discuss that.