The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

Ricard

The new samples are great and show that there is a lot more to these tracks. I'm really liking "Call of the Crystal," "Irina's Theme" and "The Adventures of Mutt."

Well,I guess the internet has reached a point where anything you say on a message board is scrutinized and possibly cause you (or some other person) legal problems in the future.There's pretty much no point in hanging around here untill next week.

This is horrible IMO,I always said copyright protection was going to be the demise of the Internet as we know it.

Ah, sorry, I didn't read the subtitles of this new thread.

Just to clarify, is it allowed to discuss the music when I have it, or should we just not talk about where to download this thing?

Talk of the score is fine, just don't mention how you got hold of it.

And it sounds pretty damn good too. Yaaaaaaaay!

Well,I guess the internet has reached a point where anything you say on a message board is scrutinized and possibly cause you legal problems in the future.There's pretty much no point in hanging around here untill next week.

This is horrible IMO,I always said copyright protection was going to be the cause of the end of the Internet as we know it.

Funniest post so far this week.

Wow Raiders March is a great recording!

Call of the Crystal is giving me goosebumps! It's chillillinngngg!!!!! It has a b-theme! And what an ending!

The Finale is your typical JW end credits suite featuring Irina, Mutt's and Marion's theme, but wait till you guys here what he does with the final reprise of the march! JW goes nuts with the orchestration and arrangement - its TOTALLY different to anything he has ever done with the theme :D We also have a brand new ending.

The Finale is your typical JW end credits suite featuring Irina, Mutt's and Marion's theme, but wait till you guys here what he does with the final reprise of the march! JW goes nuts with the orchestration and arrangement - its TOTALLY different to anything he has ever done with the theme :D We also have a brand new ending.

Brand new ending in terms of how the movie ends or how the credits end?

Brand new ending in terms of how the movie ends or how the credits end?

I mean how the Raiders March traditionally ends. This is a brand new composition for the closing seconds of the theme and credits.

So far my only complaint is the recording quality. It sounds very close to that of Crusade, not a major issue, but this is nothing like the big sound of Raiders or Doom.

So far my only complaint is the recording quality. It sounds very close to that of Crusade, not a major issue, but this is nothing like the big sound of Raiders or Doom.

add 2% reverb or something :lol:

The transition into the souce music is not so bad! I'm actually glad they put these two cues together for "Journey". Probably the best way to get both bits of music into a well-rounded track.

Anyone remember the lovingly named "The Scorpion Dance" from near the very start of ROTS? It's back in Whirl Through Academe. But now it's 3 minutes rather than 3 seconds :D

Big brassy fanfare at the start of Jungle Chase? "Irina's Theme" of course!

The transition into the souce music is not so bad! I'm actually glad they put these two cues together for "Journey". Probably the best way to get both bits of music into a well-rounded track.

I bet the score sounds fantastic, thanks to all you for rubbing it in! :D

I bet the score sounds fantastic, thanks to all you for rubbing it in! :lol:

Indeed, it would be nice to hear! :D ?

Thank God the last one was closed.

I highly doubt this will be better than Prisoner of Azkaban. It could still be great, though.

Just listened to 'Jungle Chase'. I'm telling all you now, this is not the same sensibility which wrote Minority Report and WOTW. JW is clearly having a great deal of fun with this. Williams also does something slightly odd, but quite good with Indy's theme. He changes it somehow.

I suspect that the Crusade fans will love this cue, the haters of that film, not so much. It's a fun action cue, but not anywhere near as serious or urgent as Desert Chase. Just warning you.

I highly doubt this will be better than Prisoner of Azkaban. It could still be great, though.

I don't know....PoA was good, btu nowhere near Williams' best IMO.

So, best Williams' score of the 2000s?

I'm only up the "Jungle Chase" -- but yes -- I'd have to say, this is so far coming close to Prisoner of Azkaban!

You remember that feeling when you thought how on fire he was with that score? So much bristling creative energy? So many different genres but it all works and it all fits?

I don't know....PoA was good, btu nowhere near Williams' best IMO.

Well, throw in Indy's theme, with the new Irina's theme, Mutt's motifs, the Crystal motif and melody, the Russian theme, and of course Marion's Theme.... and they all get varied and tossed around.

It's cohesive, it's fun, exciting, fresh, very silver-age. Williams is really alive here.

:D

- J Dan, who wasn't much of a fan when Azkaban came out but can imagine what it must of been like.

Even the so-called "boring" Williams tracks are actually 90% thematic! Orellana's Cradle is totally golden-age, and has an eery trumpet doing the call of the crystal.

Even the so-called "boring" Williams tracks are actually 90% thematic! Orellana's Cradle is totally golden-age, and has an eery trumpet doing the call of the crystal.

That's great. A lot of his scores lately have had too much dead space. So let me ask this: Is this score FUN like the other ones were?

It's official: Irina's Theme rocks!

I wasn't impressed when I first heard the tiny samples of it, but hearing it big, bold, brassy and even sinister has changed my mind.

It's just what you would want for an Indy villain.

I think 'Journey' could've been allowed to breathe a touch more at the end before the transition.

I'm sure this cue will be used for the line travelling across the map image which makes sense having the source cue on the same track afterwards as I'd be suprised if it wasn't that way in the film.

What a score though ! :D

Boys and girls, I am listening to the cd right now (I cannot divulge how I got it, sorry) and John Williams has pulled it off again! I watched the music featurette on the Indy DVD bonus disc (the 2003 one) last night and John said how he couldn't wait for Indy 4 so he could write another Indy score. He wasn't lying. This one is amazing. Wait until you hear The Spell of the Skull. There is definately a huge reference to Raiders in this movie besides Marion returning. All I'll say is go back and listen to The Map Room-Dawn. My curiosity so peaked right now. One week to go!!!

"It's not the years, it's the mileage."

Wow I...cannot wait to hear this. I've literally been dreaming themes in my head almost as long as I've been dreaming of the actual film being a reality itself. That's a long time. Good to read the great satisfactions of some of you lucky guys that are currently listening.

Are you kidding me? Irina's Theme is IMO the best cue on the whole thing. To answer the question, is this score fun to listen to? Remember the French review, stating the first half is Williams in full thematic mode and the second half being dark and moody?

There you go, that's the answer.

The second half - Jungle Chase onwards - is great film scoring, but not particulary "fun" to listen to, except for the finale of course.

"The City Of Gold" has the low string rhythm of the Lost World theme :D

And those who feared for lacking bombast after hearing first samples of the Skull theme ... fear not, it's so there. "Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed", in the first half, there's a statement of the theme that has Williams in full "Close Encounters" mode, once again showing the jawdropping composer folk how an alien sound is pulled off.

I'm not gonna get carried away and say this is the best Williams score in a decade or something equally stupid, but from what I've heard so far, its very, very promising.

"Temple Ruins & The Secret Revealed" is brilliant.

Why? Throughout the climax, Irina's Theme and the Crystal melody become indistinguishable. I wonder....

is Irina an alien

, perhaps?

Can't decide where to place the "Finale" aka End Credits ... definitely before Last Crusade, and I would think even before Raiders.

Holy ****, I just listened to the end of "Finale" ... 20 years of adapting, re-recordig and re-adapting of the Raiders March ... and Williams actually managed to improve it in a most amazing contrapuntal way.

Too bad my copy has the ending cut off slightly. I hope that's not on the actual CD.

The City Of Gold cue, I hear the appearance of the first Tripod in WOTW in a BIG way! It's almost the same music...

Oh and I take back what I said about the recording quality - the score sounds great.

Check you PM's peeps :|

I swear Bowie, if you have just ruined a major twist for me...

I concur :angry:

Dudes, it's just speculation. :|

Besides, if that were really the case I'd rather know now anyway. That would royally stink.