The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

Ricard

I think its unnecessary, people who are afraid of spoilers are just too whiney, don't go into the thread if you don't want to know.

All I can say is it's about time this forum had it's own Indiana Jones section.

Amen!

P.S. I'm surprised Star Wars doesn't have one . . . <_<

Ricard already explained it will change after things slow down regarding this film.

There's a thread at the top of the General Discussion page.

Question to whoever saw the film yet: Is Mutt's theme actually used anywhere in the film outside of the Jungle Chase and the End Credits?

Question to whoever saw the film yet: Is Mutt's theme actually used anywhere in the film outside of the Jungle Chase and the End Credits?

I'm not sure, actually. I don't remember whether it's used in the scene when he appears on screen for the first time, but since I don't remember it, the scene might have had no music. Perhaps Whirl through Academe includes some variation of it, but I'm too deaf to discriminate notes.

mmm it arrived here today!!!!!!!

indy.jpg

yay!

But can one buy these super jewel cases anywhere? Mine has some creases, i rather would have the digipack, really....

Is it customary of Play.com to send the items unenveloped? i mean it came perfectly packaged but the CD case did not have the plastic envelope a new CD has. Maybe they do check if the CD is inside, so no unexpected returns...

and what do you think of the music, so far I've listened to it one and 1/2 times. I'm still pondering it, but I think at this point I know I like it better than munich(sh**), Geisha(probably a better score but boring), ROTS, aotc, terminal, minority report, and A.I.

well here are a few of mine

Its not the equal of the 3 Potter scores, its not the equal of CMIYC. I like it better than the two 00's prequel scores, and John's Christmas 2005 scores.

It has its moments to me. The last minute of the finale is WONDERFUL.

Call of the Crystal is stunning, its as if John watched all the old 50's scifi movies and created his own hoaky theme, and I mean that in the very best way. Its not you're typical JW fare, but its JW being very creative, referring to film music history, and evoking his own version of the 50's scifi/horror. Its a tribute piece.

Now I reserve judgement to change my opinion upon seeing the film, as we all should

(...)

Call of the Crystal is stunning, its as if John watched all the old 50's scifi movies and created his own hoaky theme, and I mean that in the very best way. Its not you're typical JW fare, but its JW being very creative, referring to film music history, and evoking his own version of the 50's scifi/horror. Its a tribute piece.

(...)

The opening melody sounds too much like a Basic Instinct for me, but I agree that the arrangement is terrific, one of the highlights of the album. It feels exactly like an old, 50s sci-fi movie.

Ok..."The Spell of the Skull" - from 3:30 to 3:41 is definitely Herrmann....right out of TORN CURTAIN (Gromek's Murder). Does anyone agree with me?

Yes. 320 kbps is compressed.

Yeah, but there's hardly a difference with CD. Not enough to change the impression of the score.

Yeah, but there's hardly a difference with CD. Not enough to change the impression of the score.

Sorry, but I have yet to hear MP3's being played on computer speakers that come anywhere close to measuring up to listening to a CD on a stereo with speakers (and power) to fill the room with enough sound that the neighbors across the street can hear.

Sorry, but I have yet to hear MP3's being played on computer speakers that come anywhere close to measuring up to listening to a CD on a stereo with speakers (and power) to fill the room with enough sound that the neighbors across the street can hear.

Touche.

Mutt's theme is presented exactly twice, once in the Jungle Chase, once in the end credits.

With that, it has exactly one reading less in the actual film than the Grail theme.

I can't believe I'm actually typing this ...

Well, I just listened to Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I really like it! The suspense music isn't that interesting, but the new themes are fantastic! :cool: I also like the source music in Journey to Akator. (That's composed by John Williams, right?) It's definitely is a modern-style Williams score but it sounds as if he had a lot of fun with it.

But what's with the War of the Worlds music in Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold? Also, Finale sounds horribly edited. Williams' take at the end of the Raider's March is fantastic, though. That was a great way to end the score.

Overall, I don't think it's as good as the first 3 Indy scores. I was expecting it to be pretty bad from what a lot of people are saying. In a way I'm glad I did have lower expectations because it's not amazing and I did have unfair expectations of the score at first.

Anyway, that's just my impression from my first listen of the score.

With that, it has exactly one reading less in the actual film than the Grail theme.
That's not the Grail theme, that never was the Grail theme.
I agree with......Merkel. Its always been the father theme to me...

Okay, this is very confusing...is it the warm, slow melody played when Indy and Elsa find the tablet in the catacombs and as Indy encounters the Grail Knight, or the more sprightly theme from "Keeping Up With the Joneses"? Because unless I'm completely mistaken, the former is the Grail Knight's theme (or the secondary grail theme, if you prefer) and the latter is the father theme.

I'm very confused. Are we talking about the father theme (Keeping Up with the Joneses), the Grail theme (The Penitent Man Will Pass), or the Knight theme (The End Credits) that's being quoted in KOTCS?

Okay, this is very confusing...is it the warm, slow melody played when Indy and Elsa find the tablet in the catacombs and as Indy encounters the Grail Knight, or the more sprightly theme from "Keeping Up With the Joneses"? Because unless I'm completely mistaken, the former is the Grail Knight's theme (or the secondary grail theme, if you prefer) and the latter is the father theme.

Its the warm slow theme. Oddly, I never connected the theme to the Knight or as a secondary grail theme. I always thought it was played in the catacombs because they were talking about Connery at that point..

Its the warm slow theme. Oddly, I never connected the theme to the Knight or as a secondary grail theme. I always thought it was played in the catacombs because they were talking about Connery at that point..

The slow theme that you are refering to is connected to the Grail Knight. The theme depicts the spiritual enlightenment and nobility of the Grail knight and his mission to protect the Grail. But I guess you could read it as being connected to the Henry Jones Sr. In a way it is in the end of TLC.

The slow theme that you are refering to is connected to the Grail Knight. The theme depicts the spiritual enlightenment and nobility of the Grail knight and his mission to protect the Grail. But I guess you could read it as being connected to the Henry Jones Sr. In a way it is in the end of TLC.

I always took the statement in the end to sort of represent the fact that Henry and Indy had become grail knights themselves in finding and protecting the grail. Then again, it's late and I can probably convince myself that there's a really good reason why Williams quoted Yoda's Theme so often during the Cloud City scenes!

Well,it wasn't used in Last Crusade so might as well use it here.

That's interesting. I guess I never realized how little the Knight's theme is used throughout the entire score until you mentioned it. I guess it seemed like a larger part of the score to me than it actually is because it's given an expanded treatment in the end credits.

Well, that's an odd inclusion. Is Williams forgetting things again?

I wish to God that he'd forget that "Ludlow's Demise" melody that's creeped into just about every action cue he's written since 1997.

Unless Williams himself considers it to be the real 'Father Theme' and the sprightly theme to be a...secondary Jones tag team theme? The way the warm slow theme is quoted in Skull definitely suggests it.

I've listened to the soundtrack so many times, but I'm still not sure whether there are separate themes for Dad and for the Grail. If they are I always confuse them.

I wish to God that he'd forget that "Ludlow's Demise" melody that's creeped into just about every action cue he's written since 1997.

He does forget it and comes up with it again for every second movie. I'm more bothered with WotW, Munich and ET quotes that I find in KotCS

I've listened to the soundtrack so many times, but I'm still not sure whether there are separate themes for Dad and for the Grail. If they are I always confuse them.

He does forget it and comes up with it again for every second movie. I'm more bothered with WotW, Munich and ET quotes that I find in KotCS

There IS no Munich or E.T. quote in KotCS. If there is, I'll eat my computer keyboard! Just because a section reminds you of a previous JW score, doesn't mean it's a quote.

Now, don't confuse that with a deliberate reference . . . like Yoda's Theme in E.T. The WotW reference in KotCS might be such a thing, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

When Indy finds his father in the castle, that's the theme that is played. When Indy mentions his father in the catacombs, that's the theme that is played (although here thr Grail Knight connection is also valid). After the The temple has colapsed, and Henry says "Illumination". THat's the theme that is played.

I love the Titanic quote in the score, thats definately Rose's theme.

I thought the illumination theme fit perfectly.

As an aside (since my thread got locked by the Russians, oops I mean Ricard), I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the film last night. The music was great as well.

I've just seen the film - but haven't heard the CD yet - and one thing I'd like to remark about the music in the film was that for me it had too much of the Raiders March in it. When you read the liner notes of Last Crusade, you get the idea that they've moved away from it, that they're a stage further, but here it seems, with all the referencing that goes on (none of the other films had musical quoting besides the Raiders March theme if I'm not mistaken), that they went a step back. For instance, I was waiting for another "To Castle Brunwald" or something, but that bloody Indiana Jones theme kept reappearing ;)

The music was very good in the film. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now thinking "oh, WHY did they cut that part out??"

Let me guess. Jungle Chase??? ;)

The music was very good in the film. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now thinking "oh, WHY did they cut that part out??"

Let me guess. Jungle Chase??? ;)

Not only that. There were many other micro edits that pissed me off. Can't they just let the music speak for itself? I've never heard of classical music getting ridiculous chops and splices, just film scores. It's almost like musical censorship.

There IS no Munich or E.T. quote in KotCS. If there is, I'll eat my computer keyboard! Just because a section reminds you of a previous JW score, doesn't mean it's a quote.

Now, don't confuse that with a deliberate reference . . . like Yoda's Theme in E.T. The WotW reference in KotCS might be such a thing, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

Listen Spell of the Skull. The woodwind march is the Keys' Theme from ET. Strings that underscore Ants! are the same like in Letter Bombs.

Listen Spell of the Skull. The woodwind march is the Keys' Theme from ET. Strings that underscore Ants! are the same like in Letter Bombs.

They're similar, they're not the same! ;) Sweet Jesus!