The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

Ricard

I just thought of h fact that in all four indy movies we hear music from Raiders... well the first film, being the most obvious one! :(

Hmmmm, are you talking about Raiders March? ;)

I just thought of h fact that in all four indy movies we hear music from Raiders... well the first film, being the most obvious one! :(

ahhhhhhhhhhh.. "yes of course" oh man think a little ;)

I meant that in every indy score well lets say Raiders of the Lost ark "sequel (i know ToD isn't really a sequel) we get quotations of some Themes that are in the Raiders of the Lost ark

Temple of Doom - Basket Game music

Last Crusade - Ark Theme

Crystal Skull - Ark Theme, Flight from Peru, Marions Theme

ahhhhhhhhhhh.. "yes of course" oh man think a little ;)

I meant that in every indy score well lets say Raiders of the Lost ark "sequel (i know ToD isn't really a sequel) we get quotations of some Themes that are in the Raiders of the Lost ark

Temple of Doom - Basket Game music

Last Crusade - Ark Theme

Crystal Skull - Ark Theme, Flight from Peru, Marions Theme

HAHAHA, that's true! I forgot about the Ark Theme quotation in TLC!

Ark theme, marion's theme and Basket chase, i suppose.

BTW... who started to call the 'source music' on the OST mexican-mariachi music?

Its more Peruvian-Andes region music.

i think.

A Flac release of this score has been posted on ******** if anyone is interested.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

I posted this over a week ago.

Perhaps it wasn't clear enough for you.

Anyway, see you in a week.

BTW... who started to call the 'source music' on the OST mexican-mariachi music?

i think.

I think anytime someone hears "Spanish/South American" flavored music the first reaction is to say Mexican. I know I said it as a joke in response to KM.

About the mix in the film.

I also think it was louder than the Prequels but not as loud as the previous Indy films .Also the music could not compete with the sound effects. At least I heard the soft cues.

Maybe pure orchestral music does not mix well with today's sound effects,and only Power Anthems can overcome sound effects ,thus the reason Zimmer invented them

Yes I know what you mean ,you could hear it ,that's an improvement over RotS. But when I saw Prince Caspian last week the music itself shook my seat.

Ok well,so far I've listened to the Indy 4 c.d. more than Minority Report,CMIYC,WotW,Geisha and Munich combined,so it can;t be that bad.

You know, "The Jungle Chase" is seriously freakin' growing on me. The more I listen, the more I'm catching the motifs and stuff Williams has in the action cues. I need to see the film again, but I think I'm gonna really want the full Jungle Chase.

saw the movie (Spielberg's worst, IMHO) and I think Williams reused a few bits from previous films -not on album-

1. when we frist see indy's face with his just recovered hat, I think Williams uses the same music of the LAST CRUSADE scene where he goes (throu a dramatic elipsi) from the faculty to Donovan's house (were he turns to camera again)

2. when indy starts the action in the warehouse there's the escape music in RAIDERS prologue, just when he takes off with the plane

what do you think?

BTW, the unreleased "Sirius Escape" was just a variation on the buckbeack theme, right? nothing essential...

BTW, the unreleased "Sirius Escape" was just a variation on the buckbeack theme, right? nothing essential...

The second half is. The first half, especially in its culmination, is just one of the coolest things Williams has ever written.

Yes

Anyways the first part of Jungle chase had a lot of Indy's Theme,but nothing to different from what we heard before.the B section clip is identicle to the one in Truck Chase.

With Williams past OST records ,they might have left off highlights like "Departure" .Luckily this is not the case with this OST .We are missing some stuff,but not the crucial crucial bits.Only the missing Warehouse segments come close

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying the soundtrack. I love THE ADVENTURES OF MUTT and the FINALE. The music here is performed with a jubilant enthusiasm and energy, and the variation of Indy's theme before it the finish is just terrific. Great job, Mr. Williams!

There was some pretty good action music in the first half of the Jungle Chase, as well as some great variations of Marion's Theme.

With Williams past OST records ,they might have left off highlights like "Departure" .Luckily this is not the case with this OST .We are missing some stuff,but not the crucial crucial bits.Only the missing Warehouse segments come close

According to Takis' analysis there is 113 minutes of music, including the 4 concert pieces, of which we have 77 minutes on the OST. That leaves only 36 minutes of unreleased music. Not a bad ratio at all, especially considering, again, that the complete Jungle Chase and complete opening/warehouse sequence are the only real unreleased highlights.

I've been saying .It's a better constructed ALBUM than RotS or PoA.Some minor tweaking could have improved it,but it's not as bad as it could have been.

Is the mutt's theme in the end Credits tracked from Adventures of Mutt or a different recording?

i think.

its SUPPOSED to sound peruvian, but believe me, it sounded a lot to me like mariachi in the film, and I am MEXICAN, so i know what I'm talking about, hehe

in other parts we hear hues of peruvian music, when i have the CD ill tell you... =(, in the meantime, i recall we hear peruvian when indy explains nazca lines but we hear mariahci when they arrive to peru

PD: Pancho villa didnt speak quechua, gimme a break!!! heheh

What you are all referring to as the "Russian March" is really a theme for Dovchenko, the big Russian dude that eventually gets taken away by the ants.

Dovchenko's Theme appears in the opening scene outside the warehouse when he gets out of a jeep and approaches Mac and Indy (unreleased), inside the warehouse when he laughs at Indy after Indy asks for his bullets (OST Track 6 1:28-1:33), when he appears as Oxley's "Help" after the snake pit sequence (unreleased), during the beginning of the jungle chase when him and other KGB agents get into their vehicles (unreleased), several times during his and Indy's ant-surrounded fist fight (OST Track 16 1:58-2:02, 2:05-2:10, 2:20-2:28), and finally as Irina and the KGB exit their vehicle and lay ropes down the cliff wall just after his death.

It also appears in the "Irina's Theme" concert arrangement (OST Track 4 1:46-1:58) and twice in the End Credits: The first is a direct repeat of the version from the Irina's Theme concert arrangement (OST Track 19 3:55-4:08), while the second (4:46-4:53) is VERY similar to version heard in the unreleased portion of The Jungle Chase.

i think.

its SUPPOSED to sound peruvian, but believe me, it sounded a lot to me like mariachi in the film, and I am MEXICAN, so i know what I'm talking about, hehe

in other parts we hear hues of peruvian music, when i have the CD ill tell you... =(, in the meantime, i recall we hear peruvian when indy explains nazca lines but we hear mariahci when they arrive to peru

PD: Pancho villa didnt speak quechua, gimme a break!!! heheh

then, i trust you ;)

On a side note, could the hook similarities (mutts theme and hooks lament i think in one of the other cues), jurassic park percussion, be somewhat intentional?

Like if Williams, instead of making the movie as if it was the 80's wanted to make it in the early 90's as the period this movie should have been made, and the music style jump from last crusade would not be akward. but natural....

You know, "The Jungle Chase" is seriously freakin' growing on me. The more I listen, the more I'm catching the motifs and stuff Williams has in the action cues. I need to see the film again, but I think I'm gonna really want the full Jungle Chase.

Yeah, I agree. Especially since I now know that Mutt's Theme that interrupts the action music is how JW has actually intended it. It doesn't seem so jarring anymore. I seriously think this is as good (or even better?) than Belly of the Steel Beast. TJC is the most listened KotCS track for me, and I want--hell, need--the complete cue! (I get goosebumps everytime I hear Irina's Theme played by horns at 2:48).

Is the mutt's theme in the end Credits tracked from Adventures of Mutt or a different recording?

I'm very certain it is a different recording. If you listen closely, the principal melody of Mutt's Theme in Finale is played by clarinets, and not by strings as in Adventures of Mutt.

What you are all referring to as the "Russian March" is really a theme for Dovchenko, the big Russian dude that eventually gets taken away by the ants.

Dovchenko's Theme appears in the opening scene outside the warehouse when he gets out of a jeep and approaches Mac and Indy (unreleased), inside the warehouse when he laughs at Indy after Indy asks for his bullets (OST Track 6 1:28-1:33), when he appears as Oxley's "Help" after the snake pit sequence (unreleased), during the beginning of the jungle chase when him and other KGB agents get into their vehicles (unreleased), several times during his and Indy's ant-surrounded fist fight (OST Track 16 1:58-2:02, 2:05-2:10, 2:20-2:28), and finally as Irina and the KGB exit their vehicle and lay ropes down the cliff wall just after his death.

It also appears in the "Irina's Theme" concert arrangement (OST Track 4 1:46-1:58) and twice in the End Credits: The first is a direct repeat of the version from the Irina's Theme concert arrangement (OST Track 19 3:55-4:08), while the second (4:46-4:53) is VERY similar to version heard in the unreleased portion of The Jungle Chase.

Thanks, this is very helpful. And good job on the Complete Score Analysis! :lol:

The buildup in intensity after that statement of Irina's theme you mentioned at 2:48 is one of my favorite sections. So cool--and it's reminiscent, not necessarily in actual music, but just in overall tone and dynamic, to the music leading up to the tank falling over the cliff in "Belly of the Steel Beast."

And I've been humming the variation of Irina's theme at 0:48 ever since I got this.

On a side note, could the hook similarities (mutts theme and hooks lament i think in one of the other cues), jurassic park percussion, be somewhat intentional?

Like if Williams, instead of making the movie as if it was the 80's wanted to make it in the early 90's as the period this movie should have been made, and the music style jump from last crusade would not be akward. but natural....

You know, I was actually thinking about that. It makes sense. The only thing that particularly sticks out as modern is the combination xylophone/wind accents which were prevalent in AOTC and ROTS (don't remember if they were there much in TPM). But yeah, a lot of the sound of the brass particularly is very much like late 80's/early 90's Williams.

Well speaking of russians music.. this is after two viewings my absolute favourite unreleased music... right at the beginning of the movie... well I am not sure I memorized it correctly.. but I gave it a try...

Well speaking of russians music.. this is after two viewings my absolute favourite unreleased music... right at the beginning of the movie... well I am not sure I memorized it correctly.. but I gave it a try...

It did sound like this, with woodwinds though. :lol:

It did sound like this, with woodwinds though. :lol:

yes i know... but the woodwind synth ... on my pc dont sound very strong.. so i added strings, horns... :P

I'm very certain it is a different recording. If you listen closely, the principal melody of Mutt's Theme in Finale is played by clarinets, and not by strings as in Adventures of Mutt.

Good then the Finale is not a pure hack job of previous cues then. Enough new material to consider them a new arrangement of previous themes .They should have limited the Raiders march to this track if they had to have it on the c.d.

meaning the only useless track on the c.d. is Track 1

I'll repeat:

I have a question that was probably answered earlier, when I was avoiding this thread:

On the official website, there's an option to switch the track playing from The Raiders March to several other tracks from the original trilogy. But they sound very from the recordings on the official soundtracks of the films. I assumed they must be from the new compilation album, but some of the tracks offered on the website are not in the tracklist of the compilation album. Anybody know what's up?

The new compilation? Isn't that a Silva Screen album? Silva recordings wouldn't be licensed by Lucasfilm...

I'll repeat:
I have a question that was probably answered earlier, when I was avoiding this thread:

On the official website, there's an option to switch the track playing from The Raiders March to several other tracks from the original trilogy. But they sound very from the recordings on the official soundtracks of the films. I assumed they must be from the new compilation album, but some of the tracks offered on the website are not in the tracklist of the compilation album. Anybody know what's up?

NO

it's what I thought... they sound slower.. but they are also deeper in pitch! they are from our well known soundtracks but somehow they are not converted right into that flash format.. they run with a lower sample rate I suppose.. thats why they are slower and deeper.. and the sound different.

this happens sometimes.. there was some star wars music on a lucasarts game homepage that had the same problem... it wasn't new music or alternate unreleased cues....just wrongly encoded

Good then the Finale is not a pure hack job of previous cues then. Enough new material to consider them a new arrangement of previous themes .They should have limited the Raiders march to this track if they had to have it on the c.d.

meaning the only useless track on the c.d. is Track 1

I think it's one of Williams' best end credits suites in a while.

I'll repeat:

NO

it's what I thought... they sound slower.. but they are also deeper in pitch! they are from our well known soundtracks but somehow they are not converted right into that flash format.. they run with a lower sample rate I suppose.. thats why they are slower and deeper.. and the sound different.

this happens sometimes.. there was some star wars music on a lucasarts game homepage that had the same problem... it wasn't new music or alternate unreleased cues....just wrongly encoded

Ah ok, thanks!