IJ4: Track 2 - "Call of the Crystal"

Bowie

02 Call of the Crystal [Concert Suite]

0:00-1:14 A chromatic melody (the "Crystal Theme") builds over a crescendoing

augmented motif (the "Call") similar to the "Ark Theme" from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

1:14-1:56 A waltzing secondary melody (the "Lullaby") introduced on oboe, played over

disorientated oscillating strings/celeste and a fragment of the Call on the harp,

ending with a sinister suspended chord.

1:56-2:27 The Lullaby is reiterated and built dramatically in the strings, with responses

from muted horn.

2:27-2:55 The Crystal Theme is played furiously over the Call motif on the horns.

2:55-3:11 A brief duet between strings and woodwinds uses a chromatically rising version

of the Crystal Theme

3:11-3:50 The Crystal Theme from the opening is recapitulated -- no longer requiring the Call

to be noticed -- and consumed by the orchestra, closing with a dramatic horn fanfare.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like that cue,even if the Crystal theme is basically an alternate Sorcerer's Stone motif

It really got my hopes up early on the c.d.

I really like that cue,even if the Crystal theme is basically an alternate Sorcerer's Stone motif

It really got my hopes up early on the c.d.

Well not that I'm trying to defend it, but I think that's because that motif was always similar to the Ark theme, which is what he tried to vary in this case, however, I like how he places that melody over the top, which is unlike either of the previous "evil hallowed object" motifs. And the melody is eery and so flat, as if it has no good in it, it's just pure evil, chromatic.

But it lures people in with that dancing oboe melody, which tempts the listener with its 'fake' beauty, being a more diatonic version of the preceding chromatic melody.

My favourite part of the cue is where that secondary "Lullaby" melody climaxes (1:56-2:27), and there's that beautiful chord change driven by the horn response at 2:17-2:18.

This is such a unique theme for the McGuffin. It really departs from the Ark theme's mysticism and the holy maturity of the Grail theme, and is just an all-out horror cue. It's brilliant. The contrast between the flaring trumpets and the strings at 2:32 is probably the most all-out horror scoring I've heard from Williams. This is not a friendly artifact; it's menacing, powerful, and utterly devastating. The destroyer of worlds.

I love the tonality of it, and that so much of the cue is simply a meditation on that one tonality. It really is brooding!

The quasi Fminmaj7b5/C harmony, which is really obscured (at first, just the celli play C + Ab trem, with basses sustaining the low C, and later, a G-Ab-B triad is heard), and this general tonal field, is maintained even throughout the first half of the oboe melody, with its underlying -B, E-F harmonic undulation (adding the harp's B-Ab figure). A wonderful (and eerie) marriage of economy and great exploration of the possibility for variation within a single sonority.

I love this cue. It easily ranks with the music for the Ark and the Holy Grail.

What happened to track 1? :lol:

Wouldn't it be wise to create an official track discussion thread so we don't have 19 seperate threads that will add to the already way too many KOTCS threads?

What happened to track 1? :(

Wouldn't it be wise to create an official track discussion thread so we don't have 19 seperate threads that will add to the already way too many KOTCS threads?

There's currently one thread for the film itself, and one for the score (as a whole -- which is a kerfuffle of opinions and arguments at the moment).

I think the longest JW single album ever, in the middle of a roughly FOUR-YEAR dry spell of scores, warrants focussed discussion on the individual cues. What better way to become familiar with this score -- arguably his most disparate opus this decade, besides A.I. and POA -- than to entertain discourse on each track?

The Ark theme connection may be a valid one, but for me, it reminds me of nothing but the 5 note signal from Close Enc-worders. EDIT: I don't know what happened here, but that's supposed to be "Encounters" :(

I hope there's some unreleased music in the film that connects the Ark theme with the Crystal skull theme. I was really disappointed that all we got was a verbatim quote from "Map Room." Hell, even the Ark theme's cameo in Last Crusade was newly orchestrated.

LMAO, is there any way to structure a poll where you vote on your changing impressions, leaving your original voting in tact? The only way I can see this possible is if one can edit/modify one's votes? Can one?

That's one hell of a poll ... can't we add the question "How did your impressions change after you went peeing at the movie's?"

Only three questions permitted :(

But where can you feel free to provide your post-urination opinion of this track?

a) EITHER: In this thread...

b) OR: In the full-score thread...

c) OR: In a private diary, the secrets of which are thankfully never to be revealed.

It's your choice.

The Crystal motif (specially the main one) has grown on me a lot. I think it´s kind of a mix of the ark theme and the superman crystal motif. There are really cool renditions of it on the soundtrack, and i´m pretty sure it would work great on the film.

02 Call of the Crystal [Concert Suite]

0:00-1:14 A chromatic melody (the "Crystal Theme") builds over a crescendoing

augmented motif (the "Call") similar to the "Ark Theme" from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

1:14-1:56 A waltzing secondary melody (the "Lullaby") introduced on oboe, played over

disorientated oscillating strings/celeste and a fragment of the Call on the harp,

ending with a sinister suspended chord.

1:56-2:27 The Lullaby is reiterated and built dramatically in the strings, with responses

from muted horn.

2:27-2:55 The Crystal Theme is played furiously over the Call motif on the horns.

2:55-3:11 A brief duet between strings and woodwinds uses a chromatically rising version

of the Crystal Theme

3:11-3:50 The Crystal Theme from the opening is recapitulated -- no longer requiring the Call

to be noticed -- and consumed by the orchestra, closing with a dramatic horn fanfare.

Reminds me a little of charlesk's "Williams Unleashed (for Dummies)" analyses. Thanks.

It's really grown on me. I love what I'm assuming is the B-section of the theme that starts at 1:21. I also picked up on the CE3K connection that's especially obvious at the end of "The Departure" (another fantastic cue).

I think it stands up to the other artifact themes pretty well.

SERIOUSLY STOP POSTING SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES. effING STOP IT!!

what spoilers?would you like to take a cold shower?

It grows as you listen to it more often, but I love the ending. It's all sinister and somewhat scary and in the end, the last few notes, it's beautiful! It sounds alien yet familiar (ark theme connection). Btw is that the continuum fingerboard that plays the first statement of the theme in the beginning, it doesn't sound like it and at the same time it does. Where is dat instrument in the score ?

Reminds me a little of charlesk's "Williams Unleashed (for Dummies)" analyses. Thanks.

Sarcasm? :) Anyway, I didn't do it for the analysis side of it so much as to avoid semantics issues with referring to the different themes/melodies/motifs, and so people don't have to refer to the music every time someone says "I love the melody at 1:20" etc.

Sarcasm? :) Anyway, I didn't do it for the analysis side of it so much as to avoid semantics issues with referring to the different themes/melodies/motifs, and so people don't have to refer to the music every time someone says "I love the melody at 1:20" etc.

No, I was serious. Regardless of your motivations, I appreciate it when someone takes the time to tease out the particularities of piece of music with relatively little jargon. I look forward to further installments in this series...

"Call Of The Crystal" is a major spoiler? Wow .... what do you do when you accidentally see an Indy TV spot, do you spontaneously poke your eyes out?

LOL perhaps we should refer to the movie as:

Indiana Jones and the

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I think the longest JW single album ever, in the middle of a roughly FOUR-YEAR dry spell of scores, warrants focussed discussion on the individual cues. What better way to become familiar with this score -- arguably his most disparate opus this decade, besides A.I. and POA -- than to entertain discourse on each track?

I think this is a great idea! A new Indiana Jones score warrants a focused track-by-track discussion/analysis if nothing ever did.

"Call Of The Crystal" is a major spoiler? Wow .... what do you do when you accidentally see an Indy TV spot, do you spontaneously poke your eyes out?

LOL perhaps we should refer to the movie as:

Indiana Jones and the

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

No, that'd be a HUGE spoiler because then he knows Indiana Jones is in it! :lol:

Now to the track itself:

I have to admit, when I heard this for the first time I was like, "What the hell! What is THIS?" But now that I've listened to it half a dozen times, I'm starting to get it. This is, like somebody said, a TRUE horror piece (especially starting at 2:32). This could really make my hair stand on end. I love the way it slowly builds up and up, and then the seeming respite (the oboe) with the strings swirling uneasily beneath, and then builds up and up again, even more powerfully. A truly frightening, evil, and mystical-sounding piece--really unlike anything JW has written before. I'm sure JW nailed this on the head, and I think it'll work splendidly in the movie . . . the audience will be spellbound!

I really like this theme...it's much more eerie than the previous artifact themes, and the repeated rising three notes give it a sense of slowly impending doom. Interesting B-section too.

It's weird but I can recall "Irina's theme" instantly but this one keeps coming in and out, especially at night. I always wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep an hour later. After I heard this melody I woke up around 3 in the morning and remembered it and the melody plays in my head for a while, then I fall asleep and forget it! Then the same happened the next night with me suddenly remembering "Call oft he Crystal" melody again and forgetting it later on!

It's weird but I can recall "Irina's theme" instantly but this one keeps coming in and out, especially at night. I always wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep an hour later. After I heard this melody I woke up around 3 in the morning and remembered it and the melody plays in my head for a while, then I fall asleep and forget it! Then the same happened the next night with me suddenly remembering "Call oft he Crystal" melody again and forgetting it later on!

Hahahah. ;) I think you've fallen under the spell of the Crystal Skull!

Granted, it doesn't sound more like a concert piece than "Map Room: Dawn" did (Which is basically "The Ark Theme - Concert suite"). All depending on how the possible scene is constructed. Could be, could not be, we'll see.

Considering pretty much all of the track except the ending can be found in other parts of the album, I don't see how the "concert suite" status can be disputed?

Coming in a little late, but I've pretty much just heard the music. Anyway, it struck me that the Medallion Theme (especially the quick rendition in "Miracle of the Ark" at about 2:55) and "Call of the Crystal" is basically the same music. Same intervals (for the most part), even the same key. Very nice touch though!

SERIOUSLY STOP POSTING SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES. effING STOP IT!!

what spoilers?would you like to take a cold shower?

Yes, late. I was referring to song titles acting as spoilers, not that one in particular. I wouldn't have wanted to see "Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack" in '77.

Was hesitant at first with this one. But this theme is just growing and growing on me, I love it!!!!

This theme continues to grow on me and I wonder if anyone else feels me on this:

Do you remember when a midi version of this was posted maybe a month back? I was like, "hmmm this sounds rather pedestrian to me, but I'll wait…maybe it's just a poor attempt at creating a midi file of it."

Turns out the attempt was not bad at all, maybe a little fast but still got the point across. The theme is in fact sort of basic and pedestrian and simple, yet JW develops it into something great and powerful and deep. I'm trying to think of a theme that is similar for comparison. I suppose it's simple like the Emperor's Theme, but it develops like the CEOT3K theme. Really cool! And then climaxes in The Departure!

Moderator: hope it's ok to quote myself in consecutive posts.

As I've said in another thread, I think this is the closest to the 70's/80's Williams sound than anything ihe's written in at least a decade. It has flavours of The Fury, and of the Ark Theme with similar orchestration to darker passages in The Empire Strikes Back. it works well because it does what all of his most memorable themes do - the ideas are incredibly simple but they are used in very clever and intricate ways.

Easily the best track on the album.

To me, this track perfectly represents the tone and feel of one of those 50's B-movies like "Creature From the Black Lagoon". I can imagine hearing it play in mono over one of those old title-card credit sequences before the movie starts.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the melody played on the solo oboe after the first build up of the three notes. When the melody is played by the strings it has this "lost civilization" quality, like for El Dorado or Shangri-la.