Indiana Jones 4CD boxset this fall

Jay

I know this was already mentioned in the Indy4 score thread, but its buried amongst other stuff so I think it should be its own thread.

Anyway, all we know so far is from this post at soundtrack.net:

This fall, Concord Music Group will also reissue the soundtracks to the original Indiana Jones trilogy, which have been out of print for nearly a decade, as part of a four-CD boxed set.

Now, let's look at how long the scores are.

Raiders is 82 and a half minutes, not counting the shorter Raiders March w/ coda, or the alternate Through The Wall.

Temple of Doom is 111 minutes, not counting the album versions of "Temple Of Doom" or "Finale", plus we don't know if there are any alternates or not.

Last Crusade is 104 minutes, not counting the alternate film mix of Escape From Venice, or the alternate piece that replaced the original Keeping Up With The Joneses. There are also a few cues that had portions replaced with new statements of Raiders March, and Iskenderun source music composed by Williams.

So that totals almost 300 minutes not counting the alternates, and 4 cds that hold 80 minutes each totals 320 minutes. So it IS conceivable that we could get complete releases of these scores (maybe minus a few alternates), as long as the cue breaks fall in places convenient to fill each CD up.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this was already mentioned in the Indy4 score thread, but its buried amongst other stuff so I think it should be its own thread.

Anyway, all we know so far is from this post at soundtrack.net:

This fall, Concord Music Group will also reissue the soundtracks to the original Indiana Jones trilogy, which have been out of print for nearly a decade, as part of a four-CD boxed set.

Now, let's look at how long the scores are.

Raiders is 82 and a half minutes, not counting the shorter Raiders March w/ coda, or the alternate Through The Wall.

Temple of Doom is 111 minutes, not counting the album versions of "Temple Of Doom" or "Finale", plus we don't know if there are any alternates or not.

Last Crusade is 104 minutes, not counting the alternate film mix of Escape From Venice, or the alternate piece that replaced the original Keeping Up With The Joneses. There are also a few cues that had portions replaced with new statements of Raiders March, and Iskenderun source music composed by Williams.

So that totals almost 300 minutes not counting the alternates, and 4 cds that hold 80 minutes each totals 320 minutes. So it IS conceivable that we could get complete releases of these scores (maybe minus a few alternates), as long as the cue breaks fall in places convenient to fill each CD up.

As Ricard has reported on the main news page, Concord has confirmed that Crystal Skull will be included on the set. So that ends our speculation and probably this thread.

why should it end this thread, we need more Kingdom of the Crystal Skull threads, like we need more cowbell.

let it be said, we will never get the complete Indiana Jones scores, NEVER.

so it has be said so it shall never be done.

You know, this disappoints me. Since I already have expanded (complete) versions, even if the sound isn't so great, why would I buy re-releases? Why is that that obscure movies from the 60s and 80s get complete releases but big hits don't?

I need hardly say that I'll buy this set ASAP, but as I can see, that also means I'll have to rebuy the KotCS soundtrack which I'll buy any day now, and probably I won't be the only one ... What's the point? <_<

Well, here's how they COULD fill up 4 discs with complete scores for the original trilogy:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

DISC 1

1 Main Title: South America, 1936

2 In The Idol's Temple

3 Flight From Peru

4 Government Agents*

5 Journey to Nepal

6 The Medallion

7 To Cairo

8 The Basket Game

9 The Poisoning*

10 Bad Dates*

11 The Map Room: Dawn

12 Reunion and The Dig Begins

13 The Well of the Souls**

14 Through The Wall*

15 The Mummy Cave*

16 Airplane Fight

17 Desert Chase

18 Marion's Theme

19 The German Sub

20 To The Nazi Hideout

21 Ark Trek

22 The Miracle of the Ark

23 Through The Wall (Alternate)*

(DISC 1 TOTAL TIME: approx 76:30)

DISC 2

1 The Warehouse

2 End Credits

(DISC 2 RAIDERS TIME approx 7:00, RAIDERS TOTAL TIME: approx 83:30)

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

3 Anything Goes**

4 Deal For The Diamond*/

5 Fast Streets of Shanghai/

6 Over The Himalayas*/

7 Slalom on Mt. Humol/

8 The Starving Village*

9 A Plea For Help*

10 Fortune and Glory**

11 The Trek To Pankot Palace*

12 The Feast*

13 Nocturnal Activities

14 Bug Tunnel*/

15 Death Trap

16 The Temple Of Doom*

17 Stealing the Stones*/

18 Children in Chains/

19 A True Believer*

(DISC 2 TOTAL TIME: approx 79:00, DISC 2 TEMPLE OF DOOM TIME: approx 72:00)

DISC 3

1 The Ceremony*/

2 Slave Children's Crusade/

3 Underground Heroics*

4 The Mine Car Chase

5 Water!* / The Bridge*/

6 Final Confrontation*/

7 Finale and End Credits**

8 Temple Of Doom (Album Version)

9 Finale and End Credits (Album Version)

(DISC 3 TEMPLE OF DOOM TIME: approx 48:00, TEMPLE OF DOOM TOTAL TIME: approx 120:00)

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

10 The Cross of Coronado**

11 Window Escape*

12 Inscription on the Rock*

13 The Diary*/ Flight To Venice

14 X Marks the Spot**

15 The Catacombs**

(DISC 3 LAST CRUSADE TIME: approx 29:00, DISC 3 TOTAL TIME approx 77:00)

DISC 4

1 Escape from Venice

2 To Castle Brunwald*

3 I Hate These Guys*

4 Escape Attempt*

5 Iskenderun*

6 Escape From Castle Brunwald**

7 Blasphemy*

8 German Airport*

9 No Ticket

10 Biplane Escape*

11 Keeping Up with the Joneses

12 Nazi Tanks

13 No Camels*

14 Tank Chase**

15 The Canyon of the Crescent Moon

16 The Three Challenges**

17 The Holy Grail**

18 Finale And End Credits

19 Escape From Venice (Film Mix)*

20 Keeping Up With The Joneses (Alternate)*

(DISC 4 TOTAL TIME: approx 79:30, LAST CRUSADE TOTAL TIME approx 108:30)

DISC 1-4 TOTAL TIME: approx 312:00

Hell I am really annoyed now.. Look at the love and care they put into Lord of the Rings and Indy is a popular hit and really desired upon filmmusic fans.. I don't understand why they are bitching arround like they do <_< :angry: ..!

yeah but the Indy scores are so much better than the shore's tiresome LOTR snorefest.

I will not buy straight reissues. There is no need to buy a remaster, the original albums sound great already. I hope the inclusion of KOTCS is simply an error and that the 4 discs will be devoted just to the original trilogy. If we get another SW Anthology style set for Indy I'll be thrilled. But if its straight reissues AND having to buy KOTCS again, they will not get my money but rather a sternly worded letter from me on why I am passing this up.

So will it be the DCC Raiders in this set or the original Polydor album? If it's the DCC album this could be a good opportunity for Concord to include the music where the Ark is discovered.

Neil

Ricard doesn't site his source for his info on the main page. Maybe he is speculating or maybe his source is misinformed.

WEBMASTER'S REPLY:

The source is Catie Monck from the Concord Music Group:

Hi Ricard.... At this point, the only information I can confirm is that the 4 CD box set will include the previous soundtracks and the new soundtrack for Crystal Skull. I should have more information later this summer. All my best, Catie

Catie Monck

Director, Publicity

Concord Records

cmonck@concordrecords.com

ph: 917.536.4464

let it be said, we will never get the complete Indiana Jones scores, NEVER.

"Nothing is written" ~ (Lawrence after rescuing Gasim from the Desert, by ignoring the Bedouin fatalism)

Hi Ricard.... At this point, the only information I can confirm is that the 4 CD box set will include the previous soundtracks and the new soundtrack for Crystal Skull. I should have more information later this summer. All my best, Catie

Catie Monck

Director, Publicity

Concord Records

Sweet should we spam her for more information?? <_<

Catie Monck

Director, Publicity

Concord Records

Sweet should we spam her for more information?? <_<

i have written threm.. and I got an automatic response saying

Thank you for your e-mail. I am currently out of the office and will be returning on Tuesday 5/27. All orders will be forwarded and processed while I am out. I will be checking e-mail periodically and will respond to you as soon as I can.

Oh and if it's the Polydor album for Raiders, hopefully they'll get the pitch right on it.

Neil

Does the pitch problem affect all the versions of that album, or just the CD?

How often does Ricard have to post info and then have people question it? He's never given us false info so far as I know.

Trust Ricard.

Neil

How often does Ricard have to post info and then have people question it? He's never given us false info so far as I know.

Trust Ricard.

I'm not sure if you mean me, but I meant I hope somebody at Concord goofed by saying the set will include KOTCS.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Four films equals four CDs and that's that. Very little cost in simply re-pressing the originals. We will have no unreleased music in this set.

i think its great i can finally own doom and crusade, but it is disappointing that they aren't expansions--maybe that'll happen later...

Well, this sucks. If it's straight re-issues, I'll pick up TOD if it's available separately, or sold on its own on eBay, or acquire a copy somehow. Then I'll continue to wait for expanded releases. They will happen someday.

Well, it's surely great that a new generation of listeners will be able to buy and enjoy Indy soundtracks, but if they are straight re-releases of the original albums then it's a missed opportunity. However, I'm quite confident that complete releases of all four scores will see the light of day. I bet there will be an opportunity when the films will be released on hi-def.

I'm sure the films are coming out on hi def this fall, the same time KOTCS hits regular DVD and this soundtrack box set comes out. Remember what Matessino said.

DHARMESH: So, with Superman done, Indiana Jones complete soundtrack boxset is just around the corner, right? There’s an extraordinary amount of material missing from Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, and a few cues from Raiders. Summer 2008 seems the opportune time to capitalise on Indy mania.

MATESSINO: That isn't true, actually. There's a new movie and there will be a new album along with it and that will be the focus. The sensible opportunity will be if and when the time comes for a DVD box set (in HD, I assume) containing all four of the Indiana Jones movies.

But there are still a lot of obstacles that would have to be overcome for a score project to happen, not the least of which is that it would be extraordinarily expensive to do.

And he said that just before the FSM Podcast came out with the unreleased TOD music in it

In a way this does seem disappointing they can't release the complete scores for the previous three Indy scores. Maybe (and I'm stretching that) one day we'll get complete releases.

For now though this is great news for those like myself who have never owned the previous three Indiana Jones scores and I'll definitely wait to pick up The Crystal Skull with this box set.

Yep,that was pretty much the LAST opportunity to release expanded Indy scores.

by what logic?

Its typical Lucas---put the cheap stuff back on the market and THEN release the super deluxe expansions...

by what logic?

Its typical Lucas---put the cheap stuff back on the market and THEN release the super deluxe expansions...

hm, when did that happen..?

I wouldn't go flooding Concord with phone calls and e-mails.

Ricard will get a response and post it as soon as he gets it.

He's never given us false info so far as I know.

That's not totally correct, but Ricard does strive to provide as accurate information as possible from the most authoritative sources. He never posts unfounded rumor. It may behoove him from time to time, however, to name his sources when appropriate so he doesn't get a constant stream of second-guessing.

I'm happy that this will finally allow me to own RotLA and ToD on CD. However, it's still rather unfortunate that the chances of this including any unreleased music are looking rather slim. Especially the inclusion of KotCS is rather baffling. I was going to buy the Indy 4 CD this week, but if that means I have to re-buy it again in the fall, I might just skip the opportunity this time and buy them all at once later.

Most expanded score releases are released without any special tie-in opportunities. But if regular releases are fresh on the market, it'll probably be a while until a normal opportunity for expanded releases comes along.

Thanks for the update Ricard!

It's pretty clear that these will be reissues.

Yeah. I'll be like 50 by the time they'll manage to release it with bad sound since the masters will have deteriorated. Or let's hope Paramount will go bankrupt within the next twenty years.

This is utterly disappointing and a huge letdown.

I'm actually hoping now that they'll release the original Polydor album for Raiders since I haven't got that one yet.

Or the logical explanation was that FSM was provided with some material for their podcast.

That is most likely the case. Quit thinking every thing's a conspiracy with Williams scores KM.

As I said this is a great opportunity for those of us who haven't been able to get the previous Indy scores before or won't pay out the butt-load for a TOD CD.