Is the Empire Strikes back your favorite JW OST?

Morlock

Is TESB JW's best score?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• Bu bu bu bu buda bu buda (yes)
    • No
    • No, but in the top three

I'm getting tired of all these 'post your favorites' threads, as it gets pretty boring to read 50 post saying different combinations of core of about 25 cds.

So here is a very simple poll. Everybody on the 'post your top 10' thread, except for JoeinAr and Diskobulos

put TESB on the list. A large potion put it at #1.

So here it is, quite simply.

P.S. sorry for the bad Imperial March humming

:mrgreen: Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Rudy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have stated several hundred times here, Superman - The Movie is my favorite score by Mr. Williams. Star Wars is second followed by Raiders of the Lost Ark. Empire is a great score though and it's in my top 10 (if I kept such a list) but it is not my favorite Williams score or Star Wars score.

Neil

Schindler's List is still very dear to me and the number 1 score in my book. As for the rest fo the scores, my opinion vaires very often, so I never really have a top 5 or top 10 for that matter. ESB is great, but recently I've come to the conclusion that ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars score (and besides, it was the 1st cd I ever bought...I became a JW fan with it).

OK, here's why "Empire" is the best score Williams has written:

Yes, the score is part of a grand space opera. But the score is so brilliantly constructed that it plays like an opera all its own. Starts off light, then tragic, then adventurous, then extremely dark during the climax, then tragic at the end again. No other score of his -- or any other score ever written -- comes close to being an equally enjoyable score in the film and on CD. Yes, "E.T." comes very close, but it does have its lagging moments.

And it's also number one for introducing the greatest theme of all time, and one of the best lines: "Impressive. Most impressive."

As much as I love ESB, ROTJ has that feeling of fullfilment of the saga. It's hard to put into words. The action pieces are all amazing and the real important scenes in the movie are scored in such an epic way. The Dark Side Beckons, The Light of the Force, the Battle of Endor, Darth Vader's death, the Detah of the Emperor, Emperor's Throne Room, The Emperor Arrives. It's just so epic. And it's the starwars score that makes me cry the most.

it's the starwars score that makes me cry the most.

I cry listening to Attack of the Clones. :mrgreen: Okay, now that the bashing is out of the way.

The reason I like Star Wars more than any of the other Star Wars scores is because it's a very smart score. Star Wars was not scored wall-to-wall the way all of the films have been done (except for Clones final battle sequences, but I won't go there). It's very lazy how all of the "sagas" (I'm starting to dislike that term) scores have been done. Star Wars was spotted very well, and the music works perfectly. None of the other Star Wars scores display this level of intelligence. That being said there is plenty of fine music in all of the subsequent scores, but in the end it's all a bit much.

Neil

Definitely YES! TESB is my No 1 score!!! There is everything, ........... darkness, hope, love, danger, destiny, action, ....... everything in one score! Excellent!

E-Wan

Sometimes I think it's the best SW score. (Other times TPM).

I think it has the most melodic action cues in a film score ever. And there are MANY and LONG action tracks.

The best theme from TESB is not the Imperial March (IMO), but Yoda's Theme.

My favorite performances of the Imperial March are both that appear in 'Han Solo and the Princess'.

I like it a lot, having purchased it in the last month. It's in my top 10, maybe even #5. I especially love the action cues. IMHO, Han Solo and the Princess is overrated. I think it's very pretty when played by solo French Horn, but when the entire orchestra keeps blasting it, it seems a little uglier.

Ray Barnsbury

Han Solo is best when it's the full orchestra!  :angry:

Morn,please *try* to sometimes use "IMO" when you post your comments.Han Solo and the Princess theme is as good played soft(Ice planet Hoth as Han meets Leia) or with full orchestra(Carbon Freeze,in the End Credits) or in the battle scenes(escape from Hoth,Escape from Cloud City)To me IMO it's THE most polyvalent theme Williams has penned.

K.M.Who wonders if Morn ever heard the concert arrangement not on any of the O.S.T.'s.

I like it a lot, having purchased it in the last month.  It's in my top 10, maybe even #5.  I especially love the action cues.  IMHO, Han Solo and the Princess is overrated.  I think it's very pretty when played by solo French Horn, but when the entire orchestra keeps blasting it, it seems a little uglier.

Ray Barnsbury

I deeply,truely disagree TOTALLY. :angry:

K.M.

I don't know E. T. is SO magical. . . . . .

E.T. is magical for about the first two tracks, until E.T. is stranded on Earth. From there until Halloween, the entire score lags and is basically just filler music. It's not until we see the little kid as Yoda and hear Johnny's "magical" theme written specifically for Yoda that the score is kicked up a few notches; from there to the end, yes, the score is magical. I love that "Adventures on Earth" as much as the next guy, from the kids riding past the sinister government agents armed with, um, walkie-talkies to the finale, and if only I had more time, I'd work on cutting the midi down to a solo so I can play all ten minutes on my flute and mess up my lip in the process.

But my point is, at what point does E.T. become magical?

When the theme from what 1980 blockbuster and all-time JW greatest score kicks in?

I rest my case.

Darth Wojo - Who rests his case.

I don't know E. T. is SO magical. . . . . .

E.T. is magical for about the first two tracks, until E.T. is stranded on Earth. From there until Halloween, the entire score lags and is basically just filler music. It's not until we see the little kid as Yoda and hear Johnny's "magical" theme written specifically for Yoda that the score is kicked up a few notches; from there to the end, yes, the score is magical. I love that "Adventures on Earth" as much as the next guy, from the kids riding past the sinister government agents armed with, um, walkie-talkies to the finale, and if only I had more time, I'd work on cutting the midi down to a solo so I can play all ten minutes on my flute and mess up my lip in the process.

When the theme from what 1980 blockbuster and all-time JW greatest score kicks in?

I rest my case.

Darth Wojo - Who rests his case.

Unfortunately the jury disagrees with you. You are found guilty of treason against E.T. your punishment is forfeit of all Empire Strikes Back related material, and you will be forced to listen to Fame over and over.

Well said, but ROTJ is lacking in some parts. That is the main reason I rate TESB higher than it.

Hmm,Me agrees with Morn?Something is off here. :?

K.M.

The first note after the moody credits.

(TESB can't be my favorite score as it's mixed all wrong and all differently throughout the soundtrack).

Not that the 'moody music' isn't very good. Rather scary and erry.  :mrgreen:

I agree with Morn again!?The opening credits are TOTALLY appropriate with the story.And in case anyone forgot,that same moody music re-occurs a bit later in the movie(unreleased on c.d.).

K.M.