Which is better: Last Crusade or Crystal Skull?

MSM

Which movie is better?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Indy movie?

• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Crystal Skull is probably regarded as worse than Raiders by most people. However, how does it stand up besides Last Crusade? Think about the humor, the action, the story, the images/camerawork and music in both movies. Are they about the same quality? Or does one stand out easily?

Please choose which you think is the better movie. You may define 'better' as you like it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant vote since its too early and Crusade is my favourite movie.

I have the feeling that its a very odd sensation to have a new indy score and film, as oposed to the other three that were already stablished classic when i saw-heard them.

Same happened with the prequels, specially TPM.

I need time and more viewing to fully appreciate them.

I've always liked Last Crusade, not because its perfect, but because it takes the Indy series in a slightly new direction while being internally consistent for the most part. Last Crusade was the most colorful, had the good interplay between Indy and Connery and was an enjoyable film. The flaws seemed minor in comparison.

KOTSC seemed like it was trying to get by too much on nostalgia, mixing in a lot of the right elements but without it adding up to a coherant whole.

Last Crusade, since it is my favorite of all the Indy films.

LC has all the fun, action, and wonder of its successors, but it also reflects the maturing outlook of the filmmakers in the way it deals with the father/son relationship, aging, and the choices that we make in life.

KOTCS doesn't have that sweet, reflective, mature element at all - aside from the nice line about life taking things (delivered by a character we've never met before and don't care about). It just felt like a bunch of old men making a family-friendly movie.

Sad, really. Fun, exciting, nostalgic...but sad.

My biggest gripe about Last Crusade was ILM's very sloppy work, which was suprising, since ILM worked on Ghostbusters II that summer as well and it had much better effects. You would think that a Lucas/Spielberg film would take top ILM personel to get it done right.

The only other complaint I have is that LC is at times a small re-hash of Raiders.

My biggest gripe about Last Crusade was ILM's very sloppy work, which was suprising, since ILM worked on Ghostbusters II that summer as well and it had much better effects. You would think that a Lucas/Spielberg film would take top ILM personel to get it done right.

Ditto.

The scene where Indy and his father are in the fighter plane never fails to send me into cringe inducing territory.

It literally looks like they are in front of a projection screen and somebody is doing a miserable job of making it look like the plane is really in flight.

It reminds me of the car chase sequence in Licence to Kill towards the end where the projection methods used to see out the back of the car windows is all over the place. Incredibly embarrassing, especially as earlier blockbusters like 78's Superman suffer from no such faults.

I recently saw Last Crusade in HD... Oh dear, the special effects in that sequence and a few others (the ILM shot of the Nazi general in the tank as it falls to the ground comes to mind) could really do with being rectified for a future Blu-ray release. I'm usually against all that stuff, but ouch does it look ever bad.

You know what makes Last Crusade really good? Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

Neil

Exactly :lol: Finally some respect for Last Crusade, hooray!

The only other complaint I have is that LC is at times a small re-hash of Raiders.

Don't you think it could have been intentional? I find it hard to believe that Lucas and Spielberg would accept such sloppy looking work.

KOTCS, its never as lame as Least Crusade.

I voted Last Crusade. It's got the edge in the fact that it was made in the same general time period, thus it's aesthetically closer to the rest. Also (and more importantly), its

family

themes are better handled.

For Crystal Skull to even come close to Last Crusade we needed Indy and Mutt to have slept with the Russian chick.

I actually rewatched The Last Crusade yesterday and tried to approach it as I would a new film. And I think Skull is just about in the same league all things considered.

I think the latter... really!

Throw in David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and you would have had the perfect setup.

INDIANA JONES and the TEMPLE OF TOOMS

"If evil has a name... it must be Eugene Tooms."

Tooms-Indy.jpg

Well, that made me laugh so loud that my cat ran into the other room.

F---ing Tooms, man.

As for me, I'll give Last Crusade a marginal edge. There's a similar quotient of awesome to lame in both movies, but I think that Last Crusade's storyline hangs together better overall. Also, Sean Connery trumps the entire cast of Crystal Skull.

I think the latter... really!

Throw in David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and you would have had the perfect setup.

INDIANA JONES and the TEMPLE OF TOOMS

"If evil has a name... it must be Eugene Tooms."

Tooms-Indy.jpg

He'd be coming out of hibernation in the 60's, so it fits!

I actually rewatched The Last Crusade yesterday and tried to approach it as I would a new film. And I think Skull is just about in the same league all things considered.

Interesting . . .

You know, I have the feeling that Spielberg and Lucas tried to do KotCS EXACTLY in the same vein as the previous three. But they forgot that the audience had changed...

Still, KoTCS is one heck of an entertaining movie.

I don't know about that. If they tried to do KOTCS EXACTLY in the same vein, there would be fewer disappointed purists. I myself am somewhat disappointed with the aesthetic separation from the previous three. Most of that comes in daytime shots, though. The stuff in Orellana's Cradle looks just flat-out terrific. The only other big thing would be CG, and the prime offenders are the swinging scene (not sure why that couldn't have been done on a stage or with a stuntman), and the

alien

. It seems like both of these could've been done relatively simply with practical effects. The ants are fine by me. I thought they looked great; I'm not sure where the problem comes in. Also, the

flying saucer taking off and vanishing in the rubble, then the water gushing in

looked absolutely terrific. It seems to me that there HAD to have been something practical involved in that. Indy's definitely real.

No, but his surroundings are, and not even particularly well done, and it makes something that could have had some neat shots look kind of goofy.