Christopher Gordon

What an amazing composer. I just got Moby Dick and it's fantastic. I also own Salem's Lot and it's also great. What a great sense of orchestration, theme and rhythm this gent has. Wish he'd get more A list projects. He's amazing.

That, and he's a big Hook fan.

Morlock- who has yet to actually really hear any of Gordon's work, but is a fan of any serious Hook fan.

Morlock- who has yet to actually realyl hear any of Gordon's work, but is a fan of any serious Hook fan.

:) As am I.

I recently found Moby Dick as well and was greatly impressed by the old-fashioned-ness of that score. I still need to give it a proper listen, but I like the main theme a lot.

Makes me wonder what other seafaring/swashbuckling scores there are that I'm not aware of. I'm on a campaign to find any nautical music I can lay my greedy little hands on. :lol:

I just got Moby Dick and it's fantastic. I also own Salem's Lot and it's also great.

Thanks for the idea, I just might order these two sometime soon (I hope they're both still in print and available :huh:).

• 1 year later...

I conducted a very lengthy interview with Australian composer Christopher Gordon the other night and listening to him talk about his process of composing, compounded with his actual musical output, I cannot fathom why he hasn't garnered greater appeal among directors. Most film score fans adore his music because it has all of the components that drew many of us to the form in the first place. His most recent output is Mao's Last Dancer and Daybreakers, the latter which could have been a total mess in the hands of many other composers. but Gordon drew on a rich musical tapestry when he approached the film. He employs the octatonic scale (this is used in Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra and John Williams used it in the Aushwitz cue for Schindler's List) for the vampires, a melancholic string elegy for the Ethan Hawke character and a minor/major chord for the humans. he also adds a strong percussive section for the vampire militia and some heterophonic brass for the subsiders (vampires who devolve into a primal bat being when deprived of blood for too long). this is a terrific score although some complain it's too slow. Sigh. Actually, the film tone is very subdued and melancholic itself so the music appropriately follows suit. Gordon has also composed a number of stunning concert works that can be heard on his website.

Personally, this guy mops up the floor with popular composers on this side of the Atlantic (er, Pacific actually). It's actually embaressing to realize what we have been living with or making due with as far as strong themes go for film scores these days. I mean, when Williams was at his peak, we were getting some fabulous themes. I would say right up until Memoirs of a Geisha, we were treated to these amazing thematic scores Williams would develop in 10 different ways. Gordon also rarely recaps his themes verbatum and varies them overtly or slightly depending on the scene.

For those who are unaware of this talent, check out Moby Dick (the made for TV version with Patrick Stewart), On the Beach (made for tv version with Armand Assante), 'Salem's Lot (2004 remake), parts of Master and Commander that he scored, and the two I mentioned earlier in this thread. You will hear a strong compositional voice at work. I hope Gordon gets more feature film projects from these two recent fare because the world needs to hear a lot more of him and a lot less of some other folks that's for damn sure.

Yeah he's great. Our best composer and resident of Sydney. Wrote this great music for a documentarry on Sydney, listen to the samples.

http://www.christophergordon.net/SydneyAStoryofaCity.html

I would go as far as saying ON THE BEACH is a great early 80s Williams. Full of distinct themes and orchestrated with an assured hand (sans Prokoviev) it's certainly a lost treasure (only 50 people bought the CD, while DEP IMPACT, a boring score to a similar film, sold around 80.000 copies).

I totally agree with you, Fiery Angel.

I discovered Christopher Gordon only during the last year, but I'm amazed since then by his terrific skills as a composer. He has unique talent and a very rare capacity of producing a great symphonic sound. My own favourite score of his is definitely Moby Dick, a great symphonic canvas full of ebullient colors. I like also the gorgeous On the Beach, which is full of dense lyricism and great pathos. Salem's Lot is great as well, I like how he melded Lisa Gerrard's contributions into the fabric of the score. There's also some influence from Williams' Images in that score. And Mao's Last Dancer is the best score of 2009 in my books.

He should be getting a lot more gigs, I concur. Let's hope we will be able to hear his unique voice more often in the near future!

I like "On The Beach" quite a bit, haven't really heard anything else though.

On the Beach is really good, and actually better than I give it credit for (for some reason, apart from some individual cues, I've never been able to really get into it as a whole). But Moby Dick is awesome.

Yeah, it's a terrific culmination of the music ideas he introduced throughout the score. It's very Williams-esque in the genesis of a musical idea to its fruition. Not many composers honestly have this overall sense to their scores. They work moment by moment which is very one dimensional. And, from a film POV, it's cheating the filmmakers out of a real substantive contribution even if they don't know any better. I'm glad there are guys like Gordon out there. He's one of the few who really has his chops and scoring sensibilities together.

Unfortunately the rich style of music composers like Gordon bring to the table cannot fit todays ADD style of film making for most studios.

Thankfully there are a few directors / producers out there that still have some musical sense. There's just not enough.

I would go as far as saying ON THE BEACH is a great early 80s Williams. Full of distinct themes and orchestrated with an assured hand (sans Prokoviev) it's certainly a lost treasure (only 50 people bought the CD, while DEP IMPACT, a boring score to a similar film, sold around 80.000 copies).

Unfortunately the silly artwork used by Varese (whether or not it was mandated by the studio) probably didn't help.

Only 50 copies of "On the Beach" were sold? That's INSANE! It's a great score!

As is "Moby Dick". Really, why don't they let Christopher Gordon score Deathly Hallows?

Give the guy something to DO!

• 4 months later...

To coincide with the Daybreakers Blu-ray & DVD release both sides of the Atlantic, here's my interview with Christopher that was broadcast across Irish radio in February, which will hopefully be of interest to members who appreciate the symphonic style of film scoring which CG excells at.

He speaks about his work on Daybreakers (one of the best scores of this year), Mao's Last Dancer, Master & Commander and Moby Dick

And he's a HUGE John Williams fan!

Enjoy..........

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/imx5mv

- Tim

Thanks for posting this mahler3. I will have a listen to it. I interviewed Gordon a couple months ago and found him to be a delight. He's a huge music fan of anything- Bjork, John Adams, John Williams, which is really cool. He even recommended a Joni Mitchell album to me I do wish his career would take off a bit faster. He's a solid composer and much better than a lot of poseurs this side of the Atlantic. Or should I say Pacific since he's an Aussie?

Thanks, a true gent isn't he!?! Here are some links for interested parties. You're right, he needs to be appreciated and noticed much more!

Fan Page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christopher-Gordon-Composer-for-Film-TV-Concert-Hall/347905219198

Websites:

http://www.christophergordon.net/

http://www.hornconcerto.net/

- Tim

Just got to this today...terrific interview. And those soundclips really got me interested in Daybreakers.

Great interview, Tim! Enjoyed it very much. He's a wonderful composer who really deserve some more spotlight.

I happen to have interviewed Gordon recently too, I'll publish the piece in the following weeks at ColonneSonore.net, keep an eye on it.

• 2 months later...

Nice interview. And you snuck in John Williams of course. :P

CS: The End Credits suite ("Daybreak") is a fantastic piece of music which stands beautifully on its own and shows a terrific, all-out symphonic development of the main thematic material heard throughout the whole score. This piece recalled me the way John Williams usually recaps all the themes and motifs in his own film scores, while also giving a straightforward musical presentation. Do you think in "pure" musical terms while writing a film score, viewing it as an opportunity to conceive a piece of music that could have the same dignity of a concert hall piece?

CG: You won’t be surprised that I hold John Williams in the highest regard and his ability to both enrich the film and to compose music that works on its on terms is something that I aspire to. Actually I think most films benefit immensely when a composer takes that approach; or at least those films that require a lot of music, like Daybreakers did. That said, when the film turns left the music must also, even if it means missing out on a great musical moment, so the end credits offer a good opportunity to play out the film’s score in purely musical terms. It’s always the last thing I compose before the recording sessions so, after a few weeks of working on the film, the themes are in my blood, so to speak, and I write the end credits very quickly.

• 1 year later...

For all the Christopher Gordon fans and to all the fans of great, well-written symphonic music, check out this fabulous piece composed by Chris Gordon for the opening ceremony of the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games:

This guy is a true wonder. I continue to wish he will score some great Hollywood blockbuster one day.

I second Maurizio's recommendation of Gordon's music for the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games, and add as my own recommendation, his fantastic music for the 2003 Rugby World Cup. Two samples are included on his website: http://www.christoph...byWorldCup.html

Also his "Centenary of Federation": http://www.christoph...Federation.html

I could go on.. but instead, just check out all of the samples on his website!! :D

Gordon is indeed a talented composer who I would love to see getting more assignments. His writing for orchestra is varied, excellently orchestrated and powerful. His sound somehow reminds me of British greats like Vaughan Williams which of course is not a bad thing. :)

I've always confused him with Christopher Gunning (another excellent and underrated composer), for some reason. But yeah, I have ON THE BEACH and really enjoy that.

• 1 year later...

New Christopher Gordon score coming soon!

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1119/Adore/Detail

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

ADORE

Music Composed by
Christopher Gordon
(Master And Commander, On The Beach)

Naomi Watts and Robin Wright deliver riveting performances in Adore, a sensual and provocative drama about two lifelong friends who find unexpected happiness in relationships that cross the bounds of convention. An unpredictable tale of misguided love and a heartfelt celebration of the enduring nature of female friendship, Adore is the English-speaking directorial debut of Anne Fontaine. Set in an Australian seaside town, Adore establishes an aura of fable as it follows two women's plunge into uncharted waters. Adore radiates with intoxicating sensuality while exploring the intricacies of love, family, morality and passion.

The exquisitely beautiful score for Adore is by the brilliant Australian composer Christopher Gordon, perhaps most known for his scores for Master And Commander as well as the Hallmark productions of Moby Dick and On The Beach. Every new score by this composer is a very special treat and Adore is not to be missed!

Exclusive Media opens ADORE in limited release on September 6.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 216 2
Release Date: 09/03/13

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Apologies for bumping a 10 year old thread. But I just started listening to Christopher Gordon after reading a glowing review of his work on “Buckley’s Chance”. It’s a fantastic score that sounds like it could have accompanied some YA amblin type adventure penned by Horner :)

I knew he had worked on Master and Commander back in the day. But that score (on album) never stuck with me. But his score to the 1998 TV film of Moby Dick is just flat out incredible. A great golden age seafaring score. At times it almost feels like an unearthed classical work that was inspired by the novel. 

I think I’m going to give his score to “Daybreakers” a try next. I anticipate it will sound quite different than these other works I’ve just listened to…

Any other recommendations?

49 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Any other recommendations?

And as I recommended above...

Spoiler

And as @TownerFan recommended above...

Spoiler

Unfortunately, his new site doesn't offer nearly as many audio samples as before.

Thanks! 

Im about half way through Daybreakers. Good stuff. While it can get ambient and “underscore-y” it never loses my interest. Cool to hear a predominately orchestral score to a horror/thriller/drama like this that doesn’t just rely on loops and low-tones and stingers. Well done.

• 6 months later...

Just discovered ON THE BEACH last year.

Before seeing the.film I sampled a few of the ost tracks. That was enough to persuade me to purchase the CD.

Then, i watched the film.

Brilliant, brilliant score.

Haunting film, better than the novel or the Peck film.

Btw too bad Coscina doesn't post here anymore instead of wasting his time at FSM. 😉Screenshot_2021-10-21-19-48-06~2.png

This needs a custom cover. Pay on top

Screenshot_2021-10-19-00-57-26.pngScreenshot_2021-10-21-19-48-06~2.png